We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Blinding flash time 30sec or less?

I am a lvl58 LM and reading the forums to try to understand all this. My question is this, what traits affect the length of the blinding flash. I REALLY like the 30 sec daze effect, but some have said while soloing to go long on MONF. But when I get 4 of those traited I lose the 30 sec daze.
    I mostly solo for now, and this is my first toon in LOTRO, so I am still learning for sure. Thanks, man this game is deep......

The idea with going with the red line is that you don't need daze. It's all about taking out enemies very quickly. You can still root and temporarily stun, of course. The penalty to blinding flash is based on traiting multiple red line traits - not a specific trait. I'd encourage you to go all 5 blue if you enjoy more a control style of play. Lots of people don't like blue, but I think it's a helpful learning experience, and can be fun. You can solo with red, blue, or yellow - it's just that as a general rule people want to burn things down fast. You lose advantages of the other playstyles when you do.

3 red: -10 sec blinding flash duration
    4 red: -15 sec blinding flash duration

If you are still leveling and haven't got Improved Sticky Gourd yet, using more than 3 red isn't the best choice.

Before ISSG it's better to use Master of the Staff, Harmony with Nature and Flame of Arnor as the only red traits.
    You get some good damage boosts (including the 3 min shorter CD on Ents), but you don't lose to much time on BF.
    Add some yellow and blue traits and you can level safe. (Fast Loader, Healer- affects flankheals as well, Improved Flanking....)

5 MoNF + ISSG is good at burning mobs down. Til Level 65 5 Blue isn't much worse on singletarget (but it get's weaker- lurker scales bad or doesn't scale at all beyond level 65). If you don't like MoNF your most important damage trait is Master of the Staff. Add Eaglepet and you will deal more damage than expected (but not as much as 5 MoNF)

I'm running 3 red (Master of Staff, Harmony of Nature, and Flame of Anor - just like Tatharil) with Fast Loader and the rest blue. It's a compromise that lets me do enough DPS not to be feeling torturously slow, but also have a reasonable boost to my pet (usually the Eagle) - or, if grouping demands it, a couple of healing traits.

It's not necessarily the most optimised for either function, but it lets me handle multiple mobs at a time (retaining the control), and gives me a pet that's usually capable of holding its own against an on-level mob with enough dps for me to take down a third.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatharil View Post
    3 red: -10 sec blinding flash duration
    4 red: -15 sec blinding flash duration

If you are still leveling and haven't got Improved Sticky Gourd yet, using more than 3 red isn't the best choice.

Before ISSG it's better to use Master of the Staff, Harmony with Nature and Flame of Arnor as the only red traits.
    You get some good damage boosts (including the 3 min shorter CD on Ents), but you don't lose to much time on BF.
    Add some yellow and blue traits and you can level safe. (Fast Loader, Healer- affects flankheals as well, Improved Flanking....)

5 MoNF + ISSG is good at burning mobs down. Til Level 65 5 Blue isn't much worse on singletarget (but it get's weaker- lurker scales bad or doesn't scale at all beyond level 65). If you don't like MoNF your most important damage trait is Master of the Staff. Add Eaglepet and you will deal more damage than expected (but not as much as 5 MoNF)

Just a lil addition there....

3 red = -10 seconds of blinding flash duration
    4 red = -15 seconds and -10 from the 3 set penalty as well....so total -25 secs of blinding flash duration....

And yeah thats why its not much use traiting more than 3 reds until you get Improved Sticky Gourd

My recommendations are usually Master of Staff, Harmony with Nature and Awareness of Body...

I never used Awareness of Body. I never think about this trait, when it comes to MoNFtraits.

I think it needs to be changed or merged to Harmony with Nature to become useful. (Maybe it is useful for very unexperienced loremasters... but there are still better traits)

Quote Originally Posted by edjoemat View Post
    I am a lvl58 LM and reading the forums to try to understand all this. My question is this, what traits affect the length of the blinding flash. I REALLY like the 30 sec daze effect, but some have said while soloing to go long on MONF. But when I get 4 of those traited I lose the 30 sec daze.
    I mostly solo for now, and this is my first toon in LOTRO, so I am still learning for sure. Thanks, man this game is deep......
    Go with what you like. If the 30 sec mez suits you, keep it. The red line is the DPS line but at end game you will most likely only have 2 red traits. As you level try the different lines and see what you like and don't like. Your preoccupation with traits and changing them out will be a valuable learning experience and it will seem to make leveling go a little faster.

30 seconds is useful if you need to keep something perma-mezzed. Getting the time reduction for daze is a trade-off for more damage. Usually in groups you do not need perma-mezzing, so you trait for de-buffs or damage. I have a red-traited LM that solos, so you can also employ it that way. If you destroy mobs fast enough you do not need more than 10 seconds of mez. You also have 2 other forms of CC : Roots and stuns galore.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

Thumbs up

This discussion just makes me more happy that I chose the right class to play! Interesting tips and variaty of possibilities that we can use with LM! Im new player an valuables information are described here!

By the way, blinding flash is a great asset, specially for me (Lvl 36 - a noob) - as lore master you can defeat 2 enemies (same level as your) with minimum damage (keeping in mind that your pet MUST BE alive - always), three is a challenging battle and more than that tough one (great change to get killed).

Sometimes roots dont stop the enemies, i dont rely on it, that's why i prefer blinding. Perhaps when i get more experience and use the valuables tips that you guys left here and then i'll find a better combination that fits with my play style!

Thanks!

Before I got Improved Sticky Gourd I only slotted more than 3 red traits once and quickly dropped back to just 3. Blinding flash I consider to be one of the most if not the most powerful skill in the LM's arsenal depending on what you're doing. The ability to keep something permamezzed so it's not bothering you is more powerful than most people realize.

The reason I changed my trait setup after getting ISG was the fact that I now had a very powerful AoE attack on a rather short cooldown with a damaging effect lasting the majority of the cooldown and with a relatively short induction. This allowed me to burn down a group of mobs in a short amount of time which wasn't possible before. It still took me a while to get accustomed to not having at least a 20 second blinding flash since that was my mainstay weapon for so long previously.

Cool

Improved Sticky Gourd is addictive, use with caution.