We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    no greataxe users?

those things can be supa sexiful!
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

This is so funny.
    When I started this thread I had the question: "which weapon is more useful?".
    Now, after so many answers (thank you for them), I have a completely new one: "which weapons looks better on me?".
    So many dilemmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    My Captain uses a Greathammer cause it's flippin' sweet.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5TjYbH0tsW...ningSteel3.jpg
    Hehe, I have the same hammer. But the amount of people that are more or less openly criticising my sanity for getting a first age hammer... is mindboggling. People are seriously too much into weapon damage bonuses. Though I wouldnt mind to actually give the signature Captain weapon (halberds) a more useful bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    On a side note I would really like to see them open the gap between weapons again to increase diverstiy....well once they fix the problem with attack speed and power drain being incompatable with captains.
    I second that. I understand *why* the change was made, but I really wish the differences between the weapons meant something. Another option would be to greatly increase the different bonuses/drawbacks on each one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphasial View Post
    I second that. I understand *why* the change was made, but I really wish the differences between the weapons meant something. Another option would be to greatly increase the different bonuses/drawbacks on each one.
    Indeed. Before the weapon normalization, the main difference between weapons was dps (slow speed = more dps for some reason; the system was kinda doofus). Why not make the weapons' unique effects more powerful? Bump up spears' bleeds, swords' miss chance, axes' rending.

Or why not have captains derive some buffs from the different weapons? Perhaps if you use a sword you buff your Tactical Mastery, and a Club buffs your Physical Mastery, and an Axe buffs your crit rating, and a hammer debuffs your enemy's evasion (by a lot I mean). Moar buffs!

Well, this is all conjecture and brainstorming.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

I'm a halberd cappy through and through. One of the main reasons is the fact it's a captain only weapon. The other reason is the fact that I like the halberd animations a lot more than the greatsword animations. I can't pinpoint where the difference is that I don't like but it's there somewhere. Besides, I absolutely love the animation of Shadow's Lament with the halberd. I feel like I should be slicing a mob in half vertically every time I use that skill.

I also go with the captain-only choice, the halberd. I mean, this is something that makes you unique, and the difference in performance is not that big in the long run. I don't mind swords, and I usually get one when I equip my shield, but other than that, I want people to know I am a captain when they see my halberd. Same goes for the Mordor scum, of course
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

ive been using a 2hnd sword for a while now, but i want to swithc to a halberd (i mean, hally!)

i love Halberds in video games! usually they have longer range.

my halberd story:

Ultima 6 is where i fell in love, but it wasnt until Ultima Online that they got really mean... you could pre-cast spells and have them hit right as you whacked someone with a halberd, essentially one-shotting them. if you were really slick, you could get off an explosion (delayed blast, using special macros to hide the words of power so they didnt know you were casting... also on a horse, so there is no casting animation) then energy bolt then halberd whack em. man, i miss those ruthless pre-2000 UO days.

Corp Por!

gotta run!

Kal Ort Por!
    Last edited by SapienChavez; Jul 18 2012 at 12:10 PM.
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post

my halberd story:
    Mine was Lands of Lore for the pc, which I now know spells lol... Well there was a named halberd called the widow maker that was pretty awesome. There was a companion you could get with 4 arms and he could dual wield 2 halberds. I think his name was bakka.

That game was amazing for it's time, and even amazing now.
    Last edited by Armitas; Jul 18 2012 at 12:22 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Hammer and Shield

I actually use a hammer and shield myself. I like the look when I hit with shadow's lament too. I just like being different was the main reason I chose this route. It works for me and I enjoy playing a captain traited in mostly red and 99.9% of the time I play solo, so no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by KernDog View Post
    I actually use a hammer and shield myself. I like the look when I hit with shadow's lament too. I just like being different was the main reason I chose this route. It works for me and I enjoy playing a captain traited in mostly red and 99.9% of the time I play solo, so no complaints.
    Nice, one-handed hammer is my single-target tanking weapon.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

nice to see others with love for the hammer!!

I love my hammer (lil one and big one) I used a halberd a long time, then I found the sweet hammer... and it was more about the looks than the stats, overall.
    [center][color=teal]Wingwoz (on hunters in LOTRO), "I prefer to think of them more like Elvis or James Dean. Terminally self indulgent but their presence in a party, nay, the very fact that they ever existed, makes the world a cooler place."[/color]
    [color=orange]'[i]Zairente hums, "Little rabbit Poo-kie / running through the Di-res / scooping up the Mon-archs / and BANGING 'em on the head."[/i]'
    [i][url=http://my.lotro.com/user-984907/]The Antics and Ramblings of Family Nenaelin[/url][/i][/color][/center]

I too have used a 1st Age (lvl65) Hammer in the past for its look but found that the animations seemed slower than other weapons (Yes i know they are the same)

Now I use a 2nd Age Halberd just coz its a cappy weapon and im kind of hoping that that exclusivity will be one day reflected in some sort of Cappy only (Noticable) bonus for us.

I too get shunned by cappys for daring to use anything other than a greatsword, I understand that others will have their own opinions but the difference in each weapon is barely noticable to me so i always go with what i feel good using.

Feel Good + Look Good = Confidence in the Weapon

I just dont feel like a Cappy unles i have a bloody great big Halberd in hand, Other weapons, tho just as effective, make me look too much like a man champ or tank. When wielding a 2handed sword the only noticable difference between me, Champs and tanks is the small minor differences in the armour sets for each class. I have always hated this about games, You build a character in most games, Lvl it, Collect the raid set then hay presto you look like everyone else. I want to look like Jojocappy and be recognisable as me not be mistaken for any other cappy who wears the same gear. (This is a rant for another forum so .... Moving swiftly on)

Nothing says Cappy to me more than a nice big Shiny "Axe on a stick" as someone mose eloquently put it (+REP)

Also i have had the priveledge of actually playing with a real one in the british museum and OMG it was so Heavy. I have been kind of obsessed with Halberds and medievel weaponry ever since. Im only 5 foot and of small build but found that as soon as i mustered the strength to pick the heavy end off the floor it was surprisingly intuative to use. I can see the potential for loads more animations in relation to mounted comabt, Such as hooking the spike behind a mob to pull it off the mount or just simply using it as jousting lance.

Very ocasionally i will fancy a change and will get out my 2 handed Club just coz it looks like a baseball bat and is wielded in roughly the same way. I know it sound cruel but i do love my baseball bat for smashing up any flying mobs. :0) ......She swings and OH!! its a HOME RUN*Crowd cheers*

One thing i do think is missing from the group of weapons though is a Mace/Flail Weapon ... not a heck of a lot of games include them but i used to love wielding dual maces/Flails on my Barbarian in Diablo. There is nothing like dual morning stars round the chops to wake a mob up in the morning lol
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2221e000000170e38/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Greatsword...just because the sword salute emote wouldn't seem right with a halberd.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001c7c27/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by GiantSwarm View Post
    Greatsword...just because the sword salute emote wouldn't seem right with a halberd.
    I think that animation uses a "stock" sword.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by transpec View Post
    Ciaphas Cain for anyone who doesn't know, complete with War Banner
    Walk softly, and carry a big halberd - Works for me at least

I prefer the 2-H Sword just because of its cosmetic look. Halberd looks kinda 'meh'. I do alright with it. I've got more than one so that I have one for DPs and one for healing.

Personally i go with 2h axes. Ofc as a human i should be using sword because of damage buff but those giant 2h axes looks so good on my viking-style cappy i cant resist using them!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e0000002bb5ac/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Halberd is my favorite. I prefer the sound and the animation when it strikes the enemies
    ~Captain Tudhuiros of Gondor, Officer of Reforged Kinship, Dwarrowdelf Server~

I use 2H Sword cause I like the look and animations better, also I'm a Bleach fan and the captains in Bleach use swords primarily. (Zanpakutōs or Soul-cutter Swords)

Just personal preference. The combat benifits are too minimal to worry over, so choose whichever you like best IMO
    Last edited by Ivaed; Aug 06 2012 at 10:57 AM.
    The Noldor of Arkenstone

Did they ever finish translating bleach to English? I think I only got half way through on netflix before they ran out of episodes.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    Did they ever finish translating bleach to English? I think I only got half way through on netflix before they ran out of episodes.
    I'm pretty sure the series is still ongoing in Japan. The first few arcs have been translated to English. I usually watch it in Japanese and read subtitles though, because the voice acting is better imo. You just get a better feel of what the writers intended, that's not to say the english actors are bad it's just different I guess...
    The Noldor of Arkenstone

When i finally get my cappy to well... cap, im soo totally going to use a 2h club. Rocking round swinging a big ol' bit of wood is going to be priceless. If only I could wear the Nemean Lion skin and run around after a deer for a year all Heracles like
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140100000a1fa8/signature.png]Lugsmashh[/charsig]
    Freeps: Hedhellad R2 Facerolex Canlaf lvl 50 Loremaster
    Creeps: Laquisha R6 Weaver Thugsmashh R5 BA Stickyfingas R5 Defiler

Quote Originally Posted by WerdreW View Post
    When i finally get my cappy to well... cap, im soo totally going to use a 2h club. Rocking round swinging a big ol' bit of wood is going to be priceless. If only I could wear the Nemean Lion skin and run around after a deer for a year all Heracles like
    Like this guy?

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

ill say it again:

Captain Caveman is one of the most illustrious capns to ever grace our rank!

he falls on the spectrum below Cap'n Krunch <------> but above Captain and Tennille

somewhere around Captain Lou Albano status.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast