We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Weapon choice for captains

I have a dilemma concerning the weapon I should use.
    Someone told me that the halberd has a +2% damage bonus. But, having the man race, if I use the +2% sword damage bonus trait, I get the same values if I use a 2 handed sword.
    So, in my opinion, the weapon choice is reduced to a simple preference.
    Or am I wrong?
    Waiting for your opinions.

I think it's preference. I use the 2h sword with my cappy.

Swords have a slightly lower miss chance. Halberds have slighthly higher threat. (But if you miss less, you'll have more threat too!). But it is really slight.

Besides, the halberd is the weapon for low-ranking cavalry fodder. Captains use swords.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

My Captain uses a Greathammer cause it's flippin' sweet.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    Besides, the halberd is the weapon for low-ranking cavalry fodder. Captains use swords.
    Ha-ha! This is the best argument so far.

What I use:

Tanking => Halberd
    Everything Else => Mastercard.... err... 2H Sword

What you should use:
    Whatever you want to.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post

Yeah, the hammers are realy good looking in this game.

considering the racial bonuses only apply to auto-attacks, it really doesn't make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Catisa View Post
    considering the racial bonuses only apply to auto-attacks, it really doesn't make much difference.
    If you are referring to the dps bonus, that is false and easily disproven at the training dummies. The question of whether weapon special bonuses like halberd threat apply only to auto attacks is another matter entirely.
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Jul 13 2012 at 03:17 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Personally i don't bother at all with the +2% thingie , either its class bonus ( like halberd ) or race bonus. Those bonuses need a boost if they want to be at least of little importance.

Ask a weaponsmith to show you the skins of all the 2H weapons you can have for a cappy and choose the one you like most : )
    I go Axe because of the animations : > Looks a bit more brutal but thats just my taste. : D

Thumbs up

I have used all sorts, for 1 handers I like the spear. I think it looks cool, animations are alright, and i like the weak bleed you can get. Unfortunately I havent seen any 75 Second age spears, only first age. I use swords, but I like the Axe, Halberd if tanking, but I find its negligible if traited for tanking, just use noble mark, and shout at it. But I agree with everyone else, just choose what you think looks best. If you get laughed at by another captain for not using either a sword or a halberd, spar them, kill them, and laugh back.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000052fac/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

The best choice is the one you feel good with

But i go for a big darn

just because it still has a bit lower miss chance...
    [SIZE="3"]-¤-¤-¤- Errare humanum est, ignoscere divinum est -¤-¤-¤-[/SIZE]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2221900000007ec6d/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I tried to compare the miss chance between halberds and swords on the dummies. I tried to my satisfaction and determined them unnoticeable. I actually missed more with the sword which tells me the miss chance is negligible. I think my test size was 12-15 with each weapon on a dummy cycle. I only tried to my satisfaction, its not a closed debate, so test it out yourself before you make a first age choice if miss chance matters to you.

I went with the halberd because the sword looks like a highschool production sword for the play hamlet, or one of those 80's he-man sword-glory movies. I also didn't love the animations with it. I'm unhappy with the first age halberd appearance but the second age looked great. I'm also a big fan at having a second interrupt in the form of uppercut, but it's really a minor issue.

On a side note I would really like to see them open the gap between weapons again to increase diverstiy....well once they fix the problem with attack speed and power drain being incompatable with captains.
    Last edited by Armitas; Jul 13 2012 at 09:53 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Equaliser View Post
    I have a dilemma concerning the weapon I should use.
    Someone told me that the halberd has a +2% damage bonus. But, having the man race, if I use the +2% sword damage bonus trait, I get the same values if I use a 2 handed sword.
    So, in my opinion, the weapon choice is reduced to a simple preference.
    Or am I wrong?
    Waiting for your opinions.
    I perfer sword for several reasons. For one, it's what Aragorn used in the books ^^ I even tried to name my sword Anduril or Narsil (sadly it would not let me)

It also does the same amount of damage as a halberd - and I prefer the increase to my hit chance rather an increase to my threat because I'm a HoH Captain and the last thing I want to do is create more threat for myself. Sword also has smoother animations and just looks cooler in my opinion. Though halberds are cool too... just not AS cool IMHO ^^

I'm using a two handed hammer right now but I'm in the lookout for a new halberd. I think you should just choose based off of your style. Of course by that I mean ... Whichever matches your outfit! Hehe
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000bcc26/01002/signature.png]Bellanore[/charsig]

Perhaps I'm the odd one out, but I still rock the Ranger outfit on occasion. The 2H sword looks great with that look, not so great with the halberd. As far as the reduced miss chance, I spam the 'inspire' skill and my attack chains depend on hits, so I value the passive bonus the sword has.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140100000b9311/signature.png]Mavirthael[/charsig]

6 Chestnut Street, Branway, Breeland, Crickhollow

It's mostly an aesthetic choice, though I do think swords give you the best benefit if you're not tanking. Decreased miss chance is awesome, but the amount of the bonus isn't so huge that you're a failcaptain for using something else.

Also, interesting thing I was just reading about last night: Apparently, medieval knights strongly favoured the use of halberds and other polearms when unmounted! They're more effective against armour than swords are, and useful for pulling opposing riders off their horses as well. The reason swords are held in higher regard is because they're more difficult to make and thus having a nice one signifies your status as a wealthy and powerful knight. Which is why my Captain uses one, of course. (Plus, her name is a blatant reference to Ciaphas Cain, who's a master with a chainsword.)
    Last edited by furtim; Jul 13 2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec_Soul View Post
    Perhaps I'm the odd one out, but I still rock the Ranger outfit on occasion. The 2H sword looks great with that look, not so great with the halberd. As far as the reduced miss chance, I spam the 'inspire' skill and my attack chains depend on hits, so I value the passive bonus the sword has.
    Me too. The reduced chance to miss is nice - and nothing irritates me more than my Inspire missing.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Jul 13 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    hey now, someones gotta protect the Pope!
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Ciaphas Cain for anyone who doesn't know, complete with War Banner

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    and useful for pulling opposing riders off their horses as well.
    It'd be cool if we got a special halberd skill to pull our upcoming mounted enemies off of their mounts, but I don't know of any precedent for weapon-specific skills and after the whole blocking with 2h vs just halberd debacle last expansion I wouldn't want to go down that path.

P.S. I use halberd because I think it's cool and only captains can use it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000019a62e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    pretty jealous of this tbh.
    my sword is pretty cool-looking, and i made it because of the damage bonus... And because I have a lot of dwarves and they all use axes.

I'd much rather be smashing face with a hammer. I pledge my next weapon will be a face-smasher.
    105 (Captain, Champion, Guardian)

Quote Originally Posted by DuneBug View Post
    pretty jealous of this tbh.
    my sword is pretty cool-looking, and i made it because of the damage bonus... And because I have a lot of dwarves and they all use axes.

I'd much rather be smashing face with a hammer. I pledge my next weapon will be a face-smasher.
    lol.... I have to admit I am a bit jealous of the hammer too. It does look cool.

Honestly, I'd rather have the gun - screw the lore XD
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Halberd, cause nothing sez don't mess with me like an axe on a stick.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather have the gun - screw the lore XD
    As soon as Turbine gives us one, I'll be using it. Probably the only thing that could get me to switch from a 2H to a 1H.

(Although you could "refluff" the Battle-Shout and Routing Cry skills as taking potshots with a laspistol, especially since they do Light damage after all...)
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast