We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Are 2 Captains viable?

I am curious because my friend and I both like to main the captain. We haven't hit the end game on our Captains, and frankly we haven't been through Isengard yet(we always stopped in Mirkwood and haven't played since Isengard).

I was wondering if in a normal 6 man fellowship if 2 Captains are viable, if specced differently. Is it uncommon to take 2 Captains in a group even if specced differently? Do people frown on it? Do people think it is pointless?

How viable are 2 Captains in a 6 man fellow?

On a side note: How is Leader of Men tanking now? Is it strictly off tanking? Is it viable in a 3-6 man fellowship?

Assuming that the LoM tank is geared like a tank, they can take any three or six man.

Be prepared for a steep learning curve, though.

As far as dual captains go, it's doable. Be aware that all XBros stack with each other, so you can go dual Blade Bro, if you want.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

2 captains in a 6 man are pretty good. With that situation, it's usually easy to go without a mini or an rk main healer. If you also have a mini or an rk, it's still a good group. Although it won't have as much dps as a group with a dps class in place of one cappy, the group will be more robust to various troubles you come across.

Also, you always* will find room for 2 captains in a raid.

*exceptions to everything, yada yada
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Ran a 6-captain Foundry a while back. Makes me want to go run a 6-captain RoF now. I just love squashing spiders.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Cool

All cappy groups FTW. Multiple OBs, Fellow brother with Blade Bro, Song Bro, and Shield Bro with everyone getting benefit = group OP....Love it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000052fac/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

how would a 12man captain raid work???? In moors??? Pve???
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321301000012ee53/signature.png]Azurnakh[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by asurmen32 View Post
    how would a 12man captain raid work???? In moors??? Pve???
    I've done it with 4 in the moors and it is tons of fun. The synergy is through the roof. Trying to get a full 6 but not a lot of cappies like the moors.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Ran a 2 cappy Foundry the other day. Went quite smoothly though a little more DPS in the group would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    I've done it with 4 in the moors and it is tons of fun. The synergy is through the roof. Trying to get a full 6 but not a lot of cappies like the moors.
    I'm often out there on Meneldor and always happy to group

Captains stack well enough. Not always clear beyond the first within a single fellow a second Captain is the BEST choice, but that is as it should be...

Two captains isn't just viable, it's desired. Kind of like burgs, the more burgs the merrier. The jack of all trade classes can fill multiple roles.

Captains tank in six-mans, and in raids. We have a captain who heals as much, and sometimes more than the minstrels in the raid.

So the only thing remaining is DPS, toss in a hunter, burg, champ, or DPS-traited LM/warden/RK/warspeech mini and the group is well-rounded and can crank. (Also RKs/minis love when they get to DPS.)

The only thing to watch out for is coordinating in combat rezzes, so CDs aren't wasted by several cappies hitting it all at once. ;-)

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Two captains isn't just viable, it's desired. Kind of like burgs, the more burgs the merrier. The jack of all trade classes can fill multiple roles.
    I totally disagree with the "desired" part of this. And I basically only play my Capt at this point, so not like I have other classes interests at heart in saying this. Can multiple captains in a fellow work well? Absolutely, and it can be really fun too. But "desired", as in you should seek out a second captain in a fellowship that already has one OVER some other class? Not IMHO...

6 mans are generally best with one Captain, raids with two. 3 mans are excellent with a Captain healing if they are up to the job, and Captains make great Duo partners as well...

e.g. here is a decent generic 6 man:
    Guard
    Captain
    Mini
    Burg
    Champ
    Hunter

Who would you suggest nuking for a second Captain, and would that REALLY make the fellow generically better? If so, by the way, you IMHO clearly saying Captains need a nerf...

And Burg stacking is a separate point, what with the unseen armor and Reveal Weakness stack. If Telling Mark or the Command debuff stacked, I'd be more on-board with the load up on Captains theory...

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    I totally disagree with the "desired" part of this. And I basically only play my Capt at this point, so not like I have other classes interests at heart in saying this. Can multiple captains in a fellow work well? Absolutely, and it can be really fun too. But "desired", as in you should seek out a second captain in a fellowship that already has one OVER some other class? Not IMHO...

6 mans are generally best with one Captain, raids with two. 3 mans are excellent with a Captain healing if they are up to the job, and Captains make great Duo partners as well...

e.g. here is a decent generic 6 man:
    Guard
    Captain
    Mini
    Burg
    Champ
    Hunter

Who would you suggest nuking for a second Captain, and would that REALLY make the fellow generically better? If so, by the way, you IMHO clearly saying Captains need a nerf...

And Burg stacking is a separate point, what with the unseen armor and Reveal Weakness stack. If Telling Mark or the Command debuff stacked, I'd be more on-board with the load up on Captains theory...
    6 Captains walk into an encounter, kill one thing, and the fellow is fully healed. =P

And you thought it was going to be a bad joke about captains walking into a bar....
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Armisayl191 View Post
    I am curious because my friend and I both like to main the captain. We haven't hit the end game on our Captains, and frankly we haven't been through Isengard yet(we always stopped in Mirkwood and haven't played since Isengard).

I was wondering if in a normal 6 man fellowship if 2 Captains are viable, if specced differently. Is it uncommon to take 2 Captains in a group even if specced differently? Do people frown on it? Do people think it is pointless?

How viable are 2 Captains in a 6 man fellow?

On a side note: How is Leader of Men tanking now? Is it strictly off tanking? Is it viable in a 3-6 man fellowship?
    Yes of course it's viable Armisay. There have been all Captain groups who have completed most (if not all) 3,6 man content on this game - and probably even some raid content as well.

The only thing bad about taking multiple Captains in the same group is our tactical and morale buffs don't stack. Nor do our banners (though you can get all three effects).

So while it may not be the most effective strategy possible, it's still very viable and can get the job done. And the people who frown on it are just being petty in my opinion.