We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Dr Thingo or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 'Moors

Come with me, if you will, on a tale of such giddy joy that only the bleakest of Elven propaganda could end up a tragedy to make the blackest of hearts weep.

Oh I know. I can already see you young ones rolling your eyes at yet another old veteran who should have been put out to pasture long ago. This is not one of those tales.

There was a time when battle was rife and raging all across the Ettenmoors. A time when no matter what hour of the day you found yourself called upon by our Royal Eyeness you could always throw your corpse at the enemy with glee.

Now we live in an age where 90% of the Ettenmoors map is empty. If it don't have a backdoor attached to it then folks don't wanna be there. My goblin scribe Maude has compiled so much data on the Backdoor Hugging Phenomenon in recent years that she has worn out the beads on her abacus more than once.

I do wonder back to my early days. To explain, I am one of those who might once have proudly declared I was a Lifer. From day one. In with the bricks, as they say. Eight years and change down the line you can't help but notice that some Lifers are almost embarrassed to admit it. Instead of what was once a proud declaration and commitment to follow the Fellowship until the bitter end, the term "Lifer" now feels like more of a sentence.

I know! I'm practically a psychiatrist after all. I'm astonished and sometimes disappointed with myself for coming back for more. Us Lifers are the worst, blood sucking parasites who probably would have kept up a subscription for all these years and spent Sauron only knows how much in the Evil Store.

I suppose I'm pondering on old days and reminiscing of limbs flying on the field of battle 24/7(ish) on even the quietest of servers. When enough folks fought 'til they dropped to make any skirmish of any makeup worthwhile. I would always be the first to admit my views simply must be influenced in a Creep-centric manner. I retired from questland at 65 and Mirkwood, since then I've been a fulltime Thingo in Ettenmoors. Them who reckon those who have been trapped on the one section of map with the same ol' content for so many years ain't wrong in imagining we must be a tad mad.

From the perspective of one of the aforementioned blood sucking parasites: I will be here until the War is over. I believe in the power of Sauron to bring peace and stability to Middle-earth. Granted I may now be a fulltime Creep but I refuse to believe rumours that some portly hobbit can destroy the power the One Ring! It's not as if our future is already laid out in front of us like in some book!

One could go on at great length about the whys and whatfors many of us, old and new visitors to Middle-earth alike, insist on raising our voices time and again. Stop rolling your eyes young ones, forgive an old orc his memories. Used to be these here pages were alive with hundreds of views on each topic a day. You couldn't say "boo" without having a detailed analysis of your possible gear and trait setup blamed for your sins. It's heartening to still see a few voices, who have spoken in their own unique ways, still contributing now and then. They know who they are, and Sauron permits them to pat themselves on the back.

Before demanding an eye from each as penance who fell for such nurturing tricks!

I used to love Middle-earth, at 65 or so my minstrel alter ego was corrupted, I have been confined in one section of a map for some years now. I have found myself, at many times over the years, desperate for even the slightest sign of improvement. I have cursed our Blue Named Gods. I have cursed both sides of our Ettenmoors community for their inability to make the best of a bad situation.

Despite being a sophisticated orc of letters I have made the simplest mistake of all. If the phrase "Online Experience May Change" sounds familiar, some of us might care to read "We May Destroy That Which You Once Loved".

Alas, it's all okay. After a short break, I myself have found much amusement in bring the joy of Sauron's Fireworks to all. As others have noted, if you can't find fun anymore then you shouldn't be in the 'Moors.

I'll believe the talk of a new map when my scaly toes are clenching up the sand of the riverbanks. Until then I'll still be shaking my stick in defiance of the Free Peoples! Let us make the most of whatever neglected and broken systems we are left with.

The Shake A Stick Foundation thanks the agents of C.O.I.N and the contributors to the Life of a Warg thread for supplying the necessary amounts of silliness inspiration that led to the above.

In conclusion, the title of this page says it all.
    Thingo MD - Evernight

2 years from now, a month, a year, 6 weeks when people come to the forums and try to recite narratives on the merits of changing this skill or reducing a CD on that skill the same truism will be in affect. That truism being, at this stage of the games life cycle any issues that any players has with the moors is 100% their fault.

There are no more mysteries, there are no more points to be discussed, there are no more debates to be had. It is what it is, and while the op created a more eloquent narrative then I am he isnt to far off. Sadly he left out of the piece a portion where the story teller points his finger at the reader and says "its your fault"

If you continue to play and dont like lotro you are complete idiot. If you like it are in game and are on here trying to affect change, you are also a complete idiot.

Have no fear though, I will log on from time to time to point out how moronic you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgrum View Post
    There are no more mysteries, there are no more points to be discussed, there are no more debates to be had.
    If my esteemed colleague will allow some judicious editing, I hope he will not be offended. Those of us who remain know exactly what we're in for, with each layer of flesh torn from our self flagellating bodies.

There are no more excuses, but still opportunity to have fun.

If it kills me I'll be there, at the end, honking a red horn as the ring melts. It was always worth it.
    Thingo MD - Evernight

Less waxing lyrical and more heals you bandy legged maggot.

And @ Throgrum.
    Thats the wonderfull thing about humans mate, they never know when to give up.

" GO NOT GENTLY INTO THAT DARK NIGHT, RAGE RAGE AGAINST THE PASSING OF THE LIGHT"

That truism being, at this stage of the games life cycle any issues that any players has with the moors is 100% their fault.
    Lag freeze is not the players fault.

There are no more mysteries, there are no more points to be discussed, there are no more debates to be had. It is what it is, and while the op created a more eloquent narrative then I am he isnt to far off. Sadly he left out of the piece a portion where the story teller points his finger at the reader and says "its your fault"
    Would you like some sugar to soften that bitterness?

If you continue to play and dont like lotro you are complete idiot. If you like it are in game and are on here trying to affect change, you are also a complete idiot.

Have no fear though, I will log on from time to time to point out how moronic you are.
    If you continue to only log on to write on the forum or tell others that they are a complete idiot and moronic for still playing, then you are a bigger one and acting far more moronic than those of us who still enjoy the pvp part of the game despite the things we might complain about.

This...is for all those who like to tell us who still play we are fools for doing so...

This dog, is dog, a dog, good dog, way dog, to dog, keep dog, an dog, idiot dog, busy dog, for dog, 20 dog, seconds dog!

Now read without the word dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ThingoMD View Post
    In conclusion, the title of this page says it all.
    I enjoyed your post and agree with the sentiment. May I give a freep perspective indulging in some artistic license to make the point none should scrutinize or think through too carefully.

THE LIFE OF A FREEP

First, you must prepare to leave the Shire for once and for all, and head for the hills.

You will be pursued by the mysterious Black Riders, so you must try to take a shortcut through an eerie woodland called the Old Forest, where you will be captured by an evil willow tree and rescued by Tom Bombadil. He will give you shelter and warn you about the evil spirits of the Barrow-downs. You will blunder into trouble with the Barrow-Wights, but Tom will come to your rescue again. You must then loot the Barrows before continuing on your way, taking a short sword left over from the kingdom of Arnor's ancient war against the Nazguls.

Your next stop shall be the village of Bree. There, at an inn called The Prancing Pony, you will meet a Man named Strider, whom the innkeeper will describe as a "Ranger."

You will have to leave town hurriedly, and Strider shall offer to be your guide to Rivendell. To begin with, you will be suspicious of the Ranger until Butterbur produces a letter from Gandalf, informing you that Strider is actually Aragorn, chieftain of the Dunedain.

You must then escape from the Black Riders in Bree, and purchase a pony from Bill Ferny, a suspicious character, before heading into the wilderness, taking a roundabout route to Rivendell. At a hill known as Weathertop, you will be ambushed by the Black Riders, and wounded. As you continue toward Rivendell, you will become increasingly ill, due to the evil nature of the dagger with which you were stabbed.

Elrond, shall send people out looking for you, and one of these, an Elf lord named Glorfindel, will find you. Thanks to Glorfindel's horse (and some magical help from Elrond and Gandalf), you will be able to get by the Black Riders at the Ford of Bruinen and finally arrive at Elrond's stronghold, although your Barrow sword will be broken in the confrontation.

When you awaken in Rivendell, the first person you meet will be Gandalf, who shall chastise you for all the boneheaded moves you've made so far.

You will then be summoned to the Council of Elrond, where Gloin will report that agents of Sauron have been nosing around Erebor looking for you. Legolas will inform you that Gollum, who had been held in the custody of the Wood Elves, has escaped. Boromir will report that he had a dream in which he was told to seek the Sword That Was Broken, as well as "Isuldur's Bane". Aragorn will report that now that Isuldur's Bane has been found, the sword will be reforged. Gandalf will report that the former leader of the White Council, Saruman, has turned traitor and took Gandalf prisoner, although he escaped with some help from Gwaihir, the Lord of the Eagles). After much debate, the Council shall decide that your only chance is to proceed to Mount Doom, which is located right smack dab in the centre of Mordor, the land of Sauron. You will volunteer for this mission.

Since the mission will rely on stealth more than brute strength, Elrond will decide that a small group shall be sent with you. Gandalf will lead the group; Aragorn and Boromir go on behalf of Men; Gimli, son of Gloin, for the Dwarves; Legolas for the Elves; and frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin for the hobbits. Before you leave, Bilbo will give you his Elvish sword, Sting, and a chain mail shirt made of mithril silver, a very tough, beautiful, and durable metal.

You will depart from Rivendell, where you shall be prevented from passing over the Misty Mountains, due to the malice of Caradhras, and be pursued by wargs. Gandalf will have no option but to lead you to the gate of Moria. An ancient underground dwarven kingdom, Moria has now fallen into evil. You will encounter a demonic creature of fire and shadow called a Balrog. Gandalf will attempt to hold the monster at bay whilst you flee, and he will fall into a chasm, dragging the Balrog down with him.

You will now be led by Aragorn, escape from Moria and make your way to Lothlarien, an Elvish kingdom ruled by the Lady Galadriel and her consort, Celeborn. The Elves will give you shelter and supplies. Galadriel will show you and Sam her magic mirror, in which you shall see strange visions. Just before the Fellowship departs, Galadriel will bestow gifts upon you. Among these are Elvish cloaks that provide almost supernatural camouflage. To you, she shall bestow a glass phial in which a glimmer of the light of the Silmarils has been captures. To Sam, she will give a box of dirt.

You will travel downriver by boat, where you shall learn that you are being followed by Gollum. Finally, you will arrive at the Falls of Rauros, where you must decide either to go directly east to Mordor, or west to Gondor first. You shall realise that it is you duty to go to Mordor, but you will be fearful the welfare of your companions. As you ponder your course of action, you will be approached by Boromir, who shall urge you to go to Minas Tirith, the capital city of Gondor. When you attempt to explain to Boromir that he cannot, he will fall into a rage and attack you, forcing you to escape from him, and depart for Mordor alone. Boromir will regain his senses and inform the rest of the Fellowship that you have disappeared. Everyone will scatter in confusion, except Aragorn, who alone keeps his head. He shall order Boromir to follow Merry and Pippin to keep them safe, then head off to find you. Sam alone will ascertain your intentions, and intercept you just you are casting off to cross the river. You will try and persuade Sam to stay behind, but he insist on going with you to Mordor.

Aragorn will follow your trail, but will be too late to catch you.

As you and Sam try to escape the treacherous hills on the east side of the river, you will encounter Gollum. You will succeed in taming him, and force him to guide you to the gate of Mordor. After a harrowing passage of the Dead Marshes, you shall reach the entrance to Mordor. However, the gate will be closed tight and swarming with orcs. Gollum will claim that he knows of a less-guarded entrance to Mordor in the mountain passes to the south, and will offer to take you there. As you continue on your way, Sam shall become increasingly aware of a conflict between the two different parts of Gollum's personality. The "Smeagol" half shall seem genuinely reformed, but the "Gollum" half will be just as treacherous as ever.

While passing through Ithilien, a forestland on the borders of Mordor, you and Sam will be captured by the Rangers of Ithilien, led by Faramir, Boromir's younger brother. When the Rangers capture Gollum, you must bargain for his release. With Faramir's blessing, you will make you way to the vicinity of Minas Morgul, the city of the Nazgul, the second of the Two Towers. As you pass by, you will see a great host issue forth from the black city and head towards Gondor.

Gollum's path will lead you far up into the mountains. You shall come to the entrance of a dark tunnel, which Gollum enters. You and Sam shall muster up your courage and pass within, and will quickly discover that the passage is a black maze and that your guide has deserted you. By using Galadriel's phial and Sting, you and Sam will escape from the maze, but will be attacked by Shelob, a giant spider. Sam will rush to your aid, but will be ambushed by Gollum. By the time Sam extricates himself from Gollum's grasp, you will have been poisoned. Sam will take Sting and drive the spider away, but the damage will have been done, and you will be thought dead but all will be well and you will eventually destroy the Ring.

THEN, AND ONLY THEN, many years later will you realise the class and race you rolled didn't really suit you and you wish you had rolled a different one because you enjoy other classes and races far more.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    t.l.-d.r..
    fire rk is just hunt clone without evade, ports and lower mits, or LM clone without CC, pets and 1 less gear slot.
    thx for destroying yellow line and the entire class with it

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    t.l.-d.r..
    Gandalf: "Hello Faramir son of Denethor and the younger brother of Boromir. I hear you have heard and seen of two Hobbits. Do you know anything about where Frodo and Sam are? I am really concerned about their well being and desire to learn what you know of them."
    Faramir: "tl;dr"
    Gandalf: "How should I have said that?"
    Faramir: "Hi bro, Sup wit Frodo n Sam dese days."
    Gandalf: "Noob!"

Quote Originally Posted by elfbane1 View Post
    Less waxing lyrical and more heals you bandy legged maggot.

And @ Throgrum.
    Thats the wonderfull thing about humans mate, they never know when to give up.

" GO NOT GENTLY INTO THAT DARK NIGHT, RAGE RAGE AGAINST THE PASSING OF THE LIGHT"
    Some of us do, like most species there are some more enlightened then others.

And yet continue to post on the forums after having long out stayed their welcome...

The essence of Thingo's post is a positive one - enjoy the game, and throw yourself into it, rather than complaining too much about mechanics or lack of balance etc. Yea, it would be great if those things would change, but if they don't, there are still ways to enjoy yourself in this game (and playing alongside Thingo on creepside is one of these!)

If you don't find enjoyment in this game anymore, then I'd suggest moving on.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Tolvax, Champion - And others...
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Name me one other species capable of enlightenment? .
    Do you know what that means?
    Quiter.

Quote Originally Posted by elfbane1 View Post

+1 for Dylan Thomas brah.

The notion of species just so happens to be a highly controversial distinction.

Wardens need to be buffed, and spiders need to be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    The essence of Thingo's post is a positive one - enjoy the game, and throw yourself into it
    It pleases me muchly to know I had a point after all! I remember little else but the want to use this title for something. My goblin scribe Maude shall of course be punished for allowing dictation when wine is involved.
    Thingo MD - Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by ThingoMD View Post
    It pleases me muchly to know I had a point after all! I remember little else but the want to use this title for something. My goblin scribe Maude shall of course be punished for allowing dictation when wine is involved.
    Hah, then perhaps the intoxicated skill of your post lay in allowing other people to take their own meanings from the words
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Tolvax, Champion - And others...
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts