We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Haven't bothered, should i?

Ollo,

I know i should be ashamed. The countless times i have passed by resources and sold mats and recipes seems unbelievable. I am really put off by crafting though, and the worst thing is i barely know anything about it in this game. I am put off due to other games requiring time put into it and not truly being worthwhile, hardly worthwhile end-game either.

I thought i would ask, should i bother? if so, what with as a champion?

As a champion i would go with weaponmaker, the one with woodworker and weaponsmith, i would also have a toon who is an armourer. i have several guilded crafters that it did take some time to build up but i didnt rush and do it, it happened over time. I just gather mats and held on to them then one day decided i wanted my own crafters and vuala, i had plenty of mats to work with and recipes to boot.

To each their own playstyle but for myself i value self sufficiency. I can make whatever i need, whenever i need, with out needing anything from anyone. It's pretty liberating.

Well, i'm having great fun crafting and sharing mats with my kin, it really helps you connect with people and may kill your time if you're bored of doing quests / instances. I have champ and picked armourer, and it's useful for now ( can't say for end-game, since i haven't come to that part yet)

But to be honest, I'd like to see some quest chains with some kind of story for crafters so it becomes more interesting. I would also like to see some new features or new ways of getting resources.

If you really do not want to bother with crafting,
    you should at least get Explorer.
    This gives you Prospector and Forester, so you
    can at least farm most nodes.
    Not only can you sell the mats you gather,
    you can also supply your own sigils you find
    when in need of another persons guild-crafter.
    You won't even need to get masteries done, basic
    on each tier will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by EvAmy View Post
    You won't even need to get masteries done, basic
    on each tier will be enough.
    so, following your suggestion:

choose a vocation. open up tier 1. get to proficiency to open tier 2. get tier 2 to proficiency, then what happens?

nothing. unless you master tier 1, tier 3 will never open.

that pattern holds true all the way up to tier 6. you would have to master tiers 1-5, proficiency in tier 6, to open tier 7.

Quote Originally Posted by dmark101 View Post
    so, following your suggestion:

choose a vocation. open up tier 1. get to proficiency to open tier 2. get tier 2 to proficiency, then what happens?

nothing. unless you master tier 1, tier 3 will never open.

that pattern holds true all the way up to tier 6. you would have to master tiers 1-5, proficiency in tier 6, to open tier 7.
    This isn't true. I have some characters who have completed proficiency all the way up to Westfold but only have finished Mastery on the first tier or two. It is useful for explorers to be able to pick up anything they might come across, even if they can't crit on any of the processing.

In response to the original question, I'd say there's no shame in not doing crafting if you don't want to. It is a time-consuming business, and if you don't enjoy it then there's no need to force yourself. If you're happy buying gear on the AH, or getting help from kinmates, or using quest or instance-reward items, then that's fine.

You might want to give crafting a try sometime - I enjoy it myself, some crafts more than others, as a sort of mini-game that is useful at the same time. But it is much easier to level crafting as you level through the areas. (Going back to collect copper and tin or Aged Scraps of Text in the Shire at level 75 is pretty tedious.) Maybe if you make an alt sometime, try out the crafting as you go. If it still doesn't click, leave it for people who do think it's fun.
    Last edited by Elinnea; Jul 09 2012 at 09:24 PM.
    My characters are listed at my [url=http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Elinnea#LOTRO_Characters]lotro-wiki page[/url].

how is that not true? that is how the game mechanics work.

i just finished leveling the crafts of my burglar's vocation. each time, i could not open more than 1 additional tier WITHOUT completing mastery in another tier.

you're making it sound as though i could run around and [using prospector as an example] and farm resource nodes to complete tier 1 proficiency, then do the same for tier 2, then tier 3, all the way to tier 7 and NEVER have to complete mastery in any tier to open them all up.

sorry, but the crafting system does not work that way.

Er, but you can. My level 9 Jeweller has completed proficiency (filled in the brown anvil) on every tier up to Supreme, and has just opened Westfold. He has only completed Mastery (filled in the yellow anvil) for Apprentice and Journeyman. He can currently polish any kind of gem that's in the game, though he can only crit on the first three tiers of jewellery-making. I have just leveled him up in the last month or two.

I have no idea why your experience would be different. Maybe you're thinking about how in most professions you can't open the Artisan tier until after you've completed a quest? That doesn't have anything to do with Mastery though.
    My characters are listed at my [url=http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/User:Elinnea#LOTRO_Characters]lotro-wiki page[/url].