We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251

    Angry Not everything needs to be solo'd

    Really, for me it is getting a bit annoying.

    I see and have enjoyed a certain value to solo play but when I started this game, I figured there would be certain times when I would have to do things in a group.

    Recently I, again, took my Main to do Volume 1, Book 2, Chapter 5, Retake Weathertop. I chose, of my own free will, to do this in Fellowship because I figure it is better to learn certain things early regarding group play and I will admit I want to try FMs when I can. So I post on GLFF last night and someone tells me to solo it. I politely refuse and get told, again, to solo it. Politely refuse again and a third frickin' time get told to solo it.

    Just like solo players want to play 'their way' for whatever reason (I have seen some described on these forums) I firmly believe those who do not solo everything should be allowed to play theirs. If someone like myself does not want to solo something, back off. If that seems too hostile, remember solo players want to play 'their way' so stop telling others like myself to do it 'your way' just let us alone the way we leave you to your style.

    /rant off.

  2. #2
    So are you having a problem with others suggesting that you do it yourself, or that no one dropped what they were doing to come help you?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251
    The first.
    I can live with the second and switch to other activities but to repeatedly be told to solo stuff when you say No is irritating. It is like being forced to play by someone else's style and why should I?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Coevorden, Netherlands
    Posts
    317
    If you still need to do that quest look me up on lindiron or ashwic and i will glady help/show you how a fellowship works

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brazil!
    Posts
    256
    /joinchannel glff

  6. #6
    Glicyn,

    I agree with you wholeheartedly but the sad fact is that most people don't want to do group play unless it's end game. I would love to do a group run of the Weathertop instance, or the instances in Moria that give you the option of solo/group. Most people would rather the solo option and get on with it so they can continue to march to endgame content (only to complain that there's not enough content at the endgame level).

    I agree with you that your play style should still be viable within the game model and will gladly help out with group content (send a tell to Aliana or Wigmund and I'll gladly pull out an alt to help if I'm in level range). The game should not be entirely solo content up to cap. There's plenty of amazing group content getting missed because people just refuse to run it on their march to the level cap.

    Often the group content, even along the epic line, gets bypassed and made solo. Turbine made these instances solo to allow for solo players to have their style. It backfires in almost completely alienating those who want to do those instances as a group because it's just 'easier' to do it solo. Think of how many of you will run the Culling Pit, or will go into the Gorge when the level cap gets moved up. Those will just be other group quest zones that get passed by on the march to 75.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    447
    i've got a burg i'm starting to level up and he has yet to do GB, GA, or any other instance.

    hit me up via private message or leave me a note on the sig toon and i'd be more than happy to join.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by eleanora123 View Post
    If you still need to do that quest look me up on lindiron or ashwic and i will glady help/show you how a fellowship works
    Thanks, I did get past it with a group though that also brings up a question, see later when I describe what happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestrus View Post
    /joinchannel glff
    I did, here was the result from my first comment:

    Quote Originally Posted by Glicyn View Post
    So I post on GLFF last night and someone tells me to solo it. I politely refuse and get told, again, to solo it. Politely refuse again and a third frickin' time get told to solo it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elorion View Post
    Glicyn,

    I agree with you wholeheartedly but the sad fact is that most people don't want to do group play unless it's end game. I would love to do a group run of the Weathertop instance, or the instances in Moria that give you the option of solo/group. Most people would rather the solo option and get on with it so they can continue to march to endgame content (only to complain that there's not enough content at the endgame level).
    Seems that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elorion View Post
    I agree with you that your play style should still be viable within the game model and will gladly help out with group content (send a tell to Aliana or Wigmund and I'll gladly pull out an alt to help if I'm in level range). The game should not be entirely solo content up to cap. There's plenty of amazing group content getting missed because people just refuse to run it on their march to the level cap.

    Often the group content, even along the epic line, gets bypassed and made solo. Turbine made these instances solo to allow for solo players to have their style. It backfires in almost completely alienating those who want to do those instances as a group because it's just 'easier' to do it solo. Think of how many of you will run the Culling Pit, or will go into the Gorge when the level cap gets moved up. Those will just be other group quest zones that get passed by on the march to 75.
    Not just that.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmark101 View Post
    i've got a burg i'm starting to level up and he has yet to do GB, GA, or any other instance.

    hit me up via private message or leave me a note on the sig toon and i'd be more than happy to join.
    I also have a Burg and I will warn you to be careful. Burglars can start FMs as early as level 20, I tried getting people to work on these now but there is not much effort on this server at this level, I only got lucky once on a 2 pair, the only one I have done. I tried GB once, don’t know how it worked because my panel say GB needs 6 but we went in with 4 and it was all run through and kill stuff. Don’t know what GA is so I guess I have not reached it.

    Last night, I tried again for Retake Weathertop and got 4 people from a different kinship, a Lore-master, a Champion and 2 Hunters I believe were in the same kin. We made it through but the method was not what I expected. There was an effort to figure out who should light fires but the combat was mostly run up, kill things, then kill more things. Based on the group, I tried tanking and it may have worked with the 2 trolls at the end but most of it was pretty much …. how do I describe this …. a rush job. There were also two times someone started a Fellowship maneuver but I had no idea which one was being done.

    I also later ran into a Guardian while doing other Lone-lands quests, we paired up for them but again, it was a bit of a rush. I tried getting him to slow down because I had been through the area and knew spots he would get ambushed by enemies around corners you couldn’t see, I had been defeated there before because I didn’t pay attention.

    I’m not unappreciative for the help and thanked them all. Just wasn’t what I expected based on various things I read regarding Fellowships and I do agree some people are just rushing through this stuff even when in the same kinships.

    Maybe it is just me because I am more of an organized person who takes his time to figure out the best way to win any type of encounter before doing it versus this mentality I can only describe as, “Who cares what happens? Run in and kill things, if you die, oh well.”

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    I sympathise with your predicament Glicyn because ive been there and done it on my main (81 burg). As hard as it is to get fellowships together it is even harder to form ones with like-minded ppl who will take their time, progress and learn from the experience. Very often u get the square pegs who want to charge through round holes. If you wish to ply your craft as a budding burglar unfortuneately you must accept the faults of others are very often going to bring u undone but as you lvl and lean new skills you'll get better at unravelling yourself from such sticky situations. I was very fortunate to have a patient and skillful mentor teach me many things as a burg and impart alot of wisdom (including a long list of FMs). If it is of any value to you i am more than happy to do the same. Persevere and you will be rewarded once you hit Moria- its made for tricksy burgs and many fellowships :-)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Proud Canuck
    Posts
    1,263
    Yeah, the soloification of LOTRO has destroyed the grouping option for quests with a solo option...

    Since these quests have no reward difference for solo vs group, very few will ever bother even looking at the harder option.

    I miss when these quests were group based only. Soloers whined, sure, but they always do... :P

    Personally, I don't understand 'soloers' in a multiplayer game... I'd even like to see 1.8.? (Mordiirth Fight) turned back into 'Kill Mordirith in Carn Dum' to make people go and do this once fun and challenging instance...

    If you really want to solo this 'group content', overlevel it...

  11. #11
    Well there's kin members to ask who are usually more willing than glff folks. At the same time, did you try regional? Cause if your objective is to learn how to play in a fellowship, asking very high levelled people wouldn't help that. They'd burn through things quickly. GA instances don't take more than 10 minutes at most with an 85 around duking out damage.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    132
    Brb. Soloing Sword Halls on-level again.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251
    Well, I discovered one area good for grouping.

    North Downs.

    After doing all the solo quests I could, I now have 15-20 mainly full Fellowship Quests. Only 2 could be done solo, the others have mobs whose morale is so high, either a 6 man Fellowship is needed or you would have to wait until a really higher level. I also have a couple of solo quests that need more than one person due to there being too many mobs so close together.

  14. #14
    Pretty much. It's a nice place to group and one of the few places that forces you to group for Dol Dinin. Do you have friends you can level with?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,044
    i agree that it is nice to do things in a fellowship, but on the lower lvl's it is pretty hard to find ppl to do the quests with... be happy some of them you can do now without a fellowship

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by AmicitiaNight View Post
    Pretty much. It's a nice place to group and one of the few places that forces you to group for Dol Dinin. Do you have friends you can level with?
    Only 3 on the Friends list (presuming you mean that) and not all around the same level. Not many active in my kin now either. I figure whenever I get time to try again, I'll just announce on LFF and see if enough people want to join, I see plenty going through the area. If not, I'll just try to get a group for GB or GA, it is about time I clear out those quests anyway.

  17. #17
    You could recruit some IRL friends to play the game with you. Sure, they'll curse you when they get addicted and spend hundreds of hours a month in game, but you might find that it's easier to develop nuanced strategies when you're playing with the same group of people frequently.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maryland, United States of America
    Posts
    214
    -To answer the OP

    I agree with you completely. While you should be able to solo things such as Weathertop, it doesn't mean you have to.
    If you are still hitting there, or planning to hit anywhere else, feel free to contact me and I could inform my kinsmen, maybe get a group going for you

    ~Kaelalas, leader of The Northern Kingdom

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Staten Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    251
    Thanks but I got past Weathertop. Now most of my Fellowship related Quests are for North Downs (15 to go), a few in Trollshaws and whenever I can get to it, GB and GA, While I have Fornost, I want to finish GB and GA first, I have not started those yet either.
    Last edited by Glicyn; Dec 21 2012 at 09:27 AM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,044
    well, if you ever get to angmar (am also in lonelands atm... so we should get there more or less at the same time...) let me know if you want to play group quests... have the questpack and want to do those group quests...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    38

    willing to help

    i am willing to do group business with people. my schedule means i am generally on starting 8-9ish pm central US time most nights until about midnight. look for Slageth L54 champion, Slagalf 43 loremaster, Slagildur 42 guardian, Slagendil 41 captain and Slagolfin 39 warden. I am willing to do all instances, skirmishes or open landscape fellowship quests (unless I am crafting) with any of my characters. Depending on the quest, i may ask you to let me log in with a different character. I will, however, be yule festing for the next few days.
    Last edited by Slagatar; Dec 22 2012 at 08:34 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload