We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New pet with RoR?

I still want my stag. However, I was mostly hoping our dev would shed some light on if there are plans for a new pet
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Cyan]"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."[/COLOR]
    ~ JRR Tolkien[/FONT][/SIZE]

What would a new pet do that an existing one doesn't already?

How about just scaling the current pets past 50? Other than the new healing pets they don't feel and act like a 75 (or a future 85 pet) should.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r9 (active) Mini

I don't want another useless pet .

I want our current pets updated to something useful .
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190100001be9b6/signature.png]Berserkr[/charsig]
    [SIZE=1]r10 str / r7 wdr / r6 wvr / r6 bwr / r7 dfr
    r8 lmr / r5 rkr / r? mtr[/SIZE]

If there is any pet at all, it prolly would be one that compliments mounted combat.....an improved version of the current pet or a new pet that can fight alongside a warsteed.....other than that I dont see any possibility of a new pet because there is almost no role left to fulfil.....we have defensive, offensive, semi-tanking, all-round, healing.....

That said.....I would love to have the stag..... buff/debuff pet pls
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000003ec1c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR="#AFEEEE"][B]Ivalden - 75 Captain (R2) - Imladris
    Drankorg - Warg (R5) - Landroval[/B][/COLOR]

How about a Huorn pet, rewarded from a legendary class quest chain by Treebeard? Although the size might make it somewhat problematic.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

A dog remains the least immersion breaking or plain daft. If it were simply up to me to decide for everyone I would allow each pet to unlock a 4th skill at L85 and scale appropriately.

Raven
    Eye Peck. The raven pecks at the eyes of its target and partially blinds it. Hit chance reduced by 20%
    Bear
    Intimidating Roar. Target is slowed in terror for 30s, during which time all incoming damage is increased by 5%, outgoing damage reduced by 15% and all activity slowed by 30%
    Lynx
    Pounce. The stealth hit stuns its target for 5s. If the creature hits with any of its other attacks in this period they have a very large chance to do a critical hit
    Eagle
    Intercession with The Elder King. The Eagle's Sacrifice can be targetted on one of your fellowship
    Bog Guardian
    Entanglement. The target, and a 5m surrounding radius, are smothered with clinging roots. Damage has a 15% chance of breaking this root, apart from fire damage which has a 100% chance
    Nature Spirit
    Force of Nature. Heals 10% of the recipient's power in the manner of the morale heal.

And remember, wolves in this world are evil and nasty, this is North Western Europe where they are not noble or nice.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

Quote Originally Posted by Mithithil View Post
    And remember, wolves in this world are evil and nasty, this is North Western Europe where they are not noble or nice.
    Better say: Some wolves have been tamed, trained and corrupted by orcs and goblins. (wargs)
    Most of the wolves are... wolves. staying away from men and hobits (just in times of great hunger they seek food in their lands)
    The only wolves which were mentioned by Tolkien are evil ones, because there is nothing to say about the great number of uncorrupted wild wolves(and dangerous like any other wild animal- lynx, bear, fox, raven, eagle....). Just because there is nothing written about them, doesnt mean they aren't there and only the minority of evil corrupted wolves (mostly packs led by wargs) lives in middle earth.
    There is nothing written about squirrels or butterflies, does it mean there aren't squirrels and butterflies in middle earth?

Wolves are wolves. Neither good, nor evil. Their instincts makes it relatively easy to tame them (by eitherside), but the wolves themselves are just wolves. Wild, free and dangerous like any other wild beast.

The wolves we know of in Middle Earth as described in the literature are evil. Whilst this doesn't preclude the existence of "just ordinary wolves", there is no evidence for them, but much evidence of evil ones.

When Tolkien wrote, wolves were not seen in the same light we see them today. All the good qualities of wolves we understand in the modern day were unknown to the general populace of Tolkien's day and they were largely considered to be a menace at best, evil at worst and I imagine this was in Tolkien's mind when he put wolves into the "bad guy" camp. I suppose Kipling would be an exception, making wolves the good guys, but then he painted tigers as the evil nasties and we see those differently today as well.

That debate aside, all the wolves in the game to date have been nasty evil attack on sight types, whilst others like bears and lynxes have been kind enough to give warning and only attacking if a player continues to bother them. Thus in the context of the game (which I submit carries some weight), wolves still don't make the same kind of sense as perhaps a dog or a stag.

I would like to see in a new pet (if we had one) something which complements the support role of the loremaster a bit more. We've got a couple of pets with their own debuffs (bear armour, sabre tooth cold) but they really have their own uses which aren't based around support. Something with perhaps a couple of interesting debuffs, or a daze or a root would be nice.

I do, however, strongly echo the above posters in wishing to see all our pets properly rebalanced to scale effectively up to the level cap.
    Main: Tirnolwe of The Lost Companions, Laurelin (75LM)
    Alts: Silithil (75CHP) Campion (75GRD) Alunadail (75MIN) Geirdis (75CP)
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/c3rduyz]Turbine no plans to fix MyLotro.[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tromador View Post
    The wolves we know of in Middle Earth as described in the literature are evil. Whilst this doesn't preclude the existence of "just ordinary wolves", there is no evidence for them, but much evidence of evil ones.
    There is no evidence of squirrels and butterflies. Why should Tolkien write anything about wolves in the woods far away from any action in the books? There is no reason to mention them 'cause it's obvious they are there.

He never wrote wolves in general are evil. He wrote wolves are servants of the enemy for a long time. But he wrote the same about humans. The only reason we don't see all Men as evil is, the uncorrupted men are an important part of the story.
    uncorrupted wolves aren't. simple as that.
    Wolves attack when you enter their territory. It's their nature, but that doesn't mean they are evil. they are wild and dangerous just like bears, lynx, ravens, eagles, sabretooth... Lynx don't attack, they run and hide when something bigger approaches. Bears are slow and don't attack easily.

If wolves in general were meant to be evil there wouldn't be any dogs. Fang and co (and Huan) aren't evil.

I don't want a wolfpet, I prefer updated pets too, but I don't like the wrong prejudice of evil wolves in middleearth.
    Simple logic will lead to: Only the few wolves which take part in the story are mentioned, the majority of wild uncorrupted wolves stays away from settlements and humans and hide in the woods- there is nothing to write about them. Wolves in general don't belong to eitherside and are wild and dangerous. They have been used bei eitherside. corrupted to wargs, a few packs taken over by wargleaders, some wolves have been tamed by men.

But lets stop this offtopic. Just really think about the obvious words not written in the books....
    If you think only animals written in the books exist... ok then there aren't any ants, butterflies, squirrels, bugs, lynx... in middleearth. All should be removed.
    But we aren't stupid we all know they are there and so is the majority of uncorrupted wolves far away from any action in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatharil View Post
    There is no evidence of squirrels and butterflies.
    Um, Tolkien writes about squirrels. The evil ones are black and live in Mirkwood. :P
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].

Squirrels are specifically mentioned, black ones in Mirkwood.

Let us leave the European/US wolf dichotomy out of it, and remmeber that in game wolves are bad things = no wolf pet.

Until the pet carousel works on EU clients no additional pet please:-)
    Mithithil Ithryndi

Quote Originally Posted by Mithithil View Post
    Let us leave the European/US wolf dichotomy out of it, and remmeber that in game wolves are bad things = no wolf pet.
    Wrong .

There are normal wolves , and there are evil unnatural-wolves , wargs and werewolves .

And let me remind you that in game pets come from creatures willing to attack you .
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190100001be9b6/signature.png]Berserkr[/charsig]

Thumbs up

I agree with Ink, I want a Stag that debuffs or buffs.

A wolf would be cool, but they are evil in LOTRO lore.

There is no evidence of squirrels and butterflies. Why should Tolkien write anything about wolves in the woods far away from any action in the books? There is no reason to mention them 'cause it's obvious they are there.
    *sigh* Argumentum e silentio.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodrick View Post
    I agree with Ink, I want a Stag that debuffs or buffs.

A wolf would be cool, but they are evil in LOTRO lore.
    Again , no they're not .

Quote Originally Posted by Louvre View Post
    And let me remind you that in game pets come from creatures willing to attack you .
    That threaten first, giving you ample time to walk away and avoid a fight, unlike wolves which attack on sight regardless.

See the difference there?

I'd like the aurochs, only found it on Bullroarer.
    Nerf healing in PvMP and just maybe it will be worth it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromador View Post
    That threaten first, giving you ample time to walk away and avoid a fight, unlike wolves which attack on sight regardless.

See the difference there?
    Bog-lurkers & Ravens attack you as soon as you get in their area .

And even if you were right , that doesn't change that in the lore , evil wolves are not the same as common wolves .

Fact .

And even if you were right , that doesn't change that in the lore , evil wolves are not the same as common wolves .

Fact .
    But there are no common wolves in the game that simply threaten. And please read a little more NW European folklore: where LOTR's inspirations come from. wolves are bad things. It probably explains the Fenris Wolf in Norse lore and the derivations from Tolkien's friend and comtemporary, C S Lewis. Wolves are evil in Narnia as well. The Elves, who might be expected to see the good in all natural creatures, have no truck with wolves. Aslan has no truck with wolves.

I'd expect a different attitude in Belgariad Online because that is how the mythos works there, probably due to the author's nationality and writing location.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

If wolves are disagreeable, why not dogs? We can already have them as cosmetic pets, they fit in with European culture and there are friendly dogs in the canon. Seems pretty strange that a dog can't be a useful pet.

I don't mean toy dogs, by the way, I'm thinking something a bit bigger, maybe an Irish Wolfhound.

Fact .
    Fact?

Can you support your fact with some appropriate references. I am unaware of any references in the legendarium to common wolves, but of course I could be wrong, feel free to illuminate me.

It's a Bog-guardian, not a bog-lurker. These have previously appeared as "good" creatures in the game as allies to the elves in the refuge of Lin Giliath.

Not so sure about the Raven. I know of evil crebain and evil crows, but I can't remember a raven. Again, please if I'm wrong, feel free to jog my memory.
    Last edited by Tromador; Jul 11 2012 at 12:26 PM.

I haven't seen a sabretooth just threaten to attack, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Um, Tolkien writes about squirrels. The evil ones are black and live in Mirkwood. :P
    But turbine hasn't got the license for "the hobbit" ^^
    And with your argumentation: He only writes about black corrupted ones, so there aren't any uncorrupted squirrels!

But turbine hasn't got the license for "the hobbit" ^^
    And with your argumentation: He only writes about black corrupted ones, so there aren't any uncorrupted squirrels!
    What do you mean with my argumentation? I never commented on your crazy wolf idea, you crazy person. :P
    (tongue in cheek there)

btw, Bog Guardians and Ravens appear as creatures of good. Ravens are not Crebain, ravens are good in The Hobbit too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast