We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Modify the 'Undying', 'Undefeated' titles/deeds!!

Firstly, I think these titles of reaching a certain level without dying are contrary to what Turbine's main aim is: to bring fair gaming for everyone. Frankly, there is nothing fair about this system where you earn a title or deed by not dying. People damn right use these titles or deeds to earn themselves a higher seat than others, who spend equal time getting to where they want to be.

Let's follow this scenario:

Person 1: Hey, can I join your group?
    Person 2: Sure, but do you have the 'Undying' title?
    Person 1: Er, no?
    Person 2: Sorry, you can't join.
    Person 1: Why not!
    Person 2: You don't have the 'Undying' title. You need to reach level 20 without dying to get it.
    Person 1: Okay well, that was five years ago when the game was much harder!
    Person 2: Tough luck, and I started playing this game and it's so easy and I didn't die that much. I'm better than you.
    Person 1: That's nice! Can I join now?
    Person 2: No.
    Person 1: This is not fair at all...
    Person 2: Really? I got just the best alternative.
    Person 1: What's that?
    Person 2: Person 1 has been added to your ignore list.

--

Now, I've been playing this game for ages on this account and the previous, and I'm quite aware of this issue. It has gone far enough, and while I was levelling up my scholar, a handful of lower level players asked me to help them because they were not allowed to join the group because they didn't have the 'Undying' title. This needs to stop! No, not the helping, but the grind for getting the 'Undying' title and this stupid deed! I feel sorry for the new players because they're treated badly because of this. I just wish Turbine would simply REMOVE the deed and titles altogether, because it absolutely makes no difference in the game at all. We are all human behind the screen, and no one is better nor worse than the other.

However, for the sake of it, we can modify these deeds, so that they are definitely earned by every player: these deeds are earned by achieving a certain level, regardless of race, class, rate of dying in battle, and so forth;

Level 10 = Wary. You earn 5 Turbine Points.
    Level 30 = Undefeated. You earn 5 Turbine Points.
    Level 50 = Unscathed. You earn 10 Turbine Points.
    Level 65 = Undefeated. You earn 20 Turbine Points.

Something along those lines, such that it's possible for players to earn the same titles and that makes the title/deeds have no value. When this happens, the elitist approach to players will end.
    [CENTER][I]Mephistopholes - Level 100 Champion (Focus: Tank)
    ~Never Alone~[/I][/CENTER]

I think we should just get rid of these. Level 20 is when people start doing instances. It really wouldn't be fair to punish them then.

Also, I never met anyone who cared about these enough to not let others in a group.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000011ca6a/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I cant believe people are not letting others in a group because of not having the undying title. I have never been asked about it even once. Grouping in game does not really start until lvl 20 and by then all the people that dont want to group because they may die already have the title. I have always felt that having the title means you are unwilling to take any risks and dont really know how to play your class well since you ran away from every hard fight. But I have never excluded people who have the title because I think they are bad players.

Newer had been asked for it, and newer until then ever heard of someone denying group on that base.

Ste stuff is good as it is, and definitely do not need bring extra TP
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Seriously, I have also never heard of anyone caring if anyone else has these titles. I know nobody at end-game gives a &&&&.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

To be honest, as we're level 75, we've been cut off from what happens beneath our level bracket. I'm not being level-discriminant here, but level 75s would know that being defeated in battle is fine and it's part of learning. However, people at level 40 or possibly level 15 wouldn't know that because they're new to the game. (Unless they're alts) The only way to solve this is to heavily change the 'Undying', 'Undefeated' system so that it's fair. At the moment, it's not fair. Simple as that. It's not fair. New players are being taught to be elitist through this system and that's not a good sign. Everyone deserves a chance to reach the end-game, and no one must be left out because they so happened to have died before level 20 or whatever.

Turbine, please take this into account: if you really want the game to be fair, then you should take a look at the 'Undying' and 'Undefeated' system that you put in place five years ago. I think this system definitely needs to be removed, and it's certainly not fair.

Is this really a thing? It's not hard at all to progress 20 levels without dying, and it never has been. You can get most of the way there in the Shire, where quests are less combat-related and more "postman-related". Every time I see someone sporting the "Undying" title I laugh, because it tells me that they value something that is meaningless, as opposed to having a title that indicated that you actually did something.

I've never seen the suggested scenario, but if I would encounter it my reaction would be:

Person 2: You don't have the 'Undying' title. You need to reach level 20 without dying to get it.
    Person 1: ROFL, ridiculous, but if that is what you want, BYE BYE and have fun with your "elite" group.

But that is what I would do, since I do not want to join a fellowship that is using such rules.

But coming back to the suggestion:
    I personally have gained it only on 1 character and will not gain it on more, since the purpose of that character is to stay alive until max-level, so it is appropriate for that character.
    And for that I would like to see more titles or benefits added to the current ones:
    lvl 30: new title: Permanent morale boost: 5%
    lvl 40: new title: Again 5 % permanent morale boost
    etcetera: for each 10 lvls not dying: gain 5 % permanent morale boost.

Nice attempt of trolling, got me first time.

Everyone can reach endgame, title or not. No one also can check if i have it or not ( i do not, old Bloodtuck made sure of that), and i would bet, there's just one or two lvl75 who are /consored/ like in your example. Most people are helpful. Sol if someone asks me of this title and shows elitism due of it, he sure ends on my list of ignore - not for being bad player, but for being a bad person.
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemelis View Post
    I've never seen the suggested scenario, but if I would encounter it my reaction would be:

Person 1: ROFL, ridiculous, but if that is what you want, BYE BYE and have fun with your "elite" group.

But that is what I would do, since I do not want to join a fellowship that is using such rules.

But coming back to the suggestion:
    I personally have gained it only on 1 character and will not gain it on more, since the purpose of that character is to stay alive until max-level, so it is appropriate for that character.
    And for that I would like to see more titles or benefits added to the current ones:
    lvl 30: new title: Permanent morale boost: 5%
    lvl 40: new title: Again 5 % permanent morale boost
    etcetera: for each 10 lvls not dying: gain 5 % permanent morale boost.
    So you think that you should get 25% more moral at lvl 70 just because you are good at running away when a fight gets hard or using desperat fight? This is the worst idea I have ever seen. We do not want to discourage people from doing the harder content by encouraging them to do all the quests underlevel so they dont die. We want to encourage people to learn how to use all their skills and figure out what works and what does not. Doing this means that you may be defeated.

I have seen these happening. You lot may not have at level 75, but I am level 75 as well, and I have seen such things.

Seriously? The whole point is not to get defeated. I hate to get defeated. There isn't any shame in running away from a combat you're losing. I've more respect for someone that does that then someone who just stands there overmatched and eventually loses. Now, that isn't to say you won't make mistakes and lose, because you will especially trying something that is new. But that said, just initiating combat with no regard for getting defeated because you can just respawn and try again is weak gameplay.

That is actually something that is bothersome for me and one of the reasons I'd rather solo than join groups. Most groups just attack with no regard for plans, tactics, assigned roles and responsibilities and are too eager to start combat then get defeated and respawn, run back and get defeated again. Then after a few times figure there must be a better way. Granted communication is a problem if you have to type, though you should be able to come up with a plan before hand. That's where the rush to combat comes in, seems nobody wants to wait. Respawning monsters can be a problem there in some cases, but if you're having trouble with respawning monsters you may be over matched.

On top of that, I've never heard of or experienced kins doing that. How would they know? I haven't check (never a need) but can people look to see all your titles?

[QUOTE=Mephistophelis;6275197]Firstly, I think these titles of reaching a certain level without dying are contrary to what Turbine's main aim is: to bring fair gaming for everyone. Frankly, there is nothing fair about this system where you earn a title or deed by not dying. People damn right use these titles or deeds to earn themselves a higher seat than others, who spend equal time getting to where they want to be.

Let's follow this scenario:

Person 1: Okay well, that was five years ago when the game was much harder!
    Person 2: Tough luck, and I started playing this game and it's so easy and I didn't die that much. I'm better than you.
    Person 1: That's nice! Can I join now?
    Person 2: No.
    Person 1: This is not fair at all...
    Person 2: Really? I got just the best alternative.
    Person 1: What's that?
    Person 2: Person 1 has been added to your ignore list.

--

Now, I've been playing this game for ages on this account and the previous, and I'm quite aware of this issue. It has gone far enough, and while I was levelling up my scholar, a handful of lower level players asked me to help them because they were not allowed to join the group because they didn't have the 'Undying' title. This needs to stop! No, not the helping, but the grind for getting the 'Undying' title and this stupid deed! I feel sorry for the new players because they're treated badly because of this. I just wish Turbine would simply REMOVE the deed and titles altogether, because it absolutely makes no difference in the game at all. We are all human behind the screen, and no one is better nor worse than the other.

I've been playing this game for years and have NEVER heard of such a thing. Besides.....the title is easy as hell to anyway. Before F2P it was much harder to get,meant something then,not now. If folks are being that way they're not worth running with anyway. Probably a bunch of ninja's. Move on,forget them,and find a better class of player to run with. Have a nice day.

Some threads make me wonder if we're all playing the same game. I startet with f2p and I level relatively slow. I have several low-level toons left, one at lvl 7, lvl 23, lvl 42, lvl 47... I have never ever come across someone that actually cared about that title, neither when I started nor these days.

I always thought that these titles were rather a showoff than anything else, but it really depends how you set your mind to it. I failed to archiev the undying title with my first 4 chars - hunter, minstrel, warden, guardian. With my loremaster I somehow managed to not die, so she is wearing that title simply because I find it so ironic that my squishiest char dies least often.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleRose3 View Post
    So you think that you should get 25% more moral at lvl 70 just because you are good at running away when a fight gets hard or using desperat fight? This is the worst idea I have ever seen. We do not want to discourage people from doing the harder content by encouraging them to do all the quests underlevel so they dont die. We want to encourage people to learn how to use all their skills and figure out what works and what does not. Doing this means that you may be defeated.
    Like BillinJax already says: Running away is not a shame, it is a good tactic when it is clear that you will loose the fight anyway.

But I do not want to encourage people to do things underlevel. I just want to reward a person who tries not to die after lvl 20.
    Again I have only 1 character on which I'm trying that just for fun, since that is staying alive with a char for me. It is a nice challenge I've set to see if it is possible.
    And why not get a reward when you manage to pull it off?

Okay, maybe the morale boost is not the good reward, but I could not come up with nice titles after "Undying". And by giving no title no one can check if a char has gained that particular level without dying.

thats srly sick. what server are you in and who is the guy? never before have i seen such noobiness from feloow players. i feel for ya man

titles pretty much are meaningless fripperies no title means anything really, some are hard to get others are easiere , however a title does not mean you know how to play the game and/or your class nor does it indicate that you dont know how to play your class. If a title gave a buff or provided some sort of special rate /discount or access then it might be reasonable to to use a title as a screening tool as that is so not the case its just dumb to do so. However i do wonder If someone has been yanking some chains or setting traps for trolls.
    Last edited by Vandellia; Jul 08 2012 at 11:37 AM.

You are either asking to run in the wrong group , or you are on the wrong server with a bunch of nimrods.... I have 7 toons , Ranging from lvl 20 to 75 , and only one my Cappy has the undying title... I run with groups all of the time,on all of my dying before 20 toons,,,, and alot of pugs, and NOT at any time has ANYBODY ever asked about the undying title, Sounds to me like a bunch of teenagers that think they are something , and err they probably are not,,, Find a different group to run with , and if this is server wide , then find a different server,,,, that's awhole lot of nothing to be concerned about.... WOW .. what a bunch of losers....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001eb507/signature.png]Celestirrh[/charsig]
    Namaste .

Personally I like the undying title and here is why:

My first toon, a guardian, I knew nothing about this game nor titles, got the wary one and maybe another before dying. I died doing something foolish, trying to kill goblins and the boss goblin at the camp near Noglond. I got in over my head and dove off the cliff thinking "You have been injured from a fall." Well I died in mid air, which I thought hilarious because I froze there like that. Life moved on.

My fourth toon, a hunter, I kept well decked in everything. Easily killing things 2-3 lvls up, did all the deeds in Erid Luin, quite a few in Barrow Downs, moved on to Lone Lands around 18 and lvled to 20 without ever thinking about the undying title. Got it and thought, Wow awesome!

The things I learned by my fourth toon was not to get in over your head, that's how you die. Learn your character, learn what you are capable of, don't jump off high cliffs. Getting the undying title is easy.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000001eec3f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistophelis View Post
    I have seen these happening. You lot may not have at level 75, but I am level 75 as well, and I have seen such things.
    One person seeing this happen does not mean its happening on a wide scale, nor does it mean it justifies changing the whole system.

I, like pretty much everyone else, in this thread have never seen it mentioned or brought up. Its a complete non-issue. Nobody cares if you received a title 55 levels ago.
    Crickhollow Server:
    Evenhald: L86 Minstrel Armaius: L76 Loremaster. Gaheriad: L96 Hunter Malhion: L74 Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Nemelis View Post
    Like BillinJax already says: Running away is not a shame, it is a good tactic when it is clear that you will loose the fight anyway.

But I do not want to encourage people to do things underlevel. I just want to reward a person who tries not to die after lvl 20.
    Again I have only 1 character on which I'm trying that just for fun, since that is staying alive with a char for me. It is a nice challenge I've set to see if it is possible.
    And why not get a reward when you manage to pull it off?

Okay, maybe the morale boost is not the good reward, but I could not come up with nice titles after "Undying". And by giving no title no one can check if a char has gained that particular level without dying.
    We are talking about group content here because he is saying he is not getting invited to groups because he does not have the title. There sure is shame in running away and abandoning the rest of your group. Classes have skills that can reduce your agro so the mobs are not attacking you. They all have some form of small to large heal. If your not the tank and the mobs are attacking you so much that you feel your dieing your goup is doing something very wrong and you need to change tactics not run away.

I play a healer as my main and I would never group again with someone who ran away from the fight because they were afraid to die. You dont abandon your fellowship for a silly title.

Early in the game one of the developers explained why they ended the title at lvl 20. The reason they gave was they wanted players to take risks which will never happen if they are trying to get the undieing title.

Be glad that you did not get invited by a stupid idiot who thinks having a title at level 20 which is easily reached in solo play on any class, makes the world go round.

Unfort. this game is open to the broad public as it should be - but due to that you will always get jerks like that.

As to the titles themselves:
    I would love to see them extended past lvl20. It is fun trying to reach them (or was back when leveling to lvl20 was a bit harder than now). Unfort. even if you make them to lvl75 or soon 85 - you will probably find people just leveling solo via skirmishes or solo quests in order to reach it.
    Due to the game type with fellowship content - often dying at a certain stage or for the first time - is usually caused by another player and not yourself

We are talking about group content here because he is saying he is not getting invited to groups because he does not have the title. There sure is shame in running away and abandoning the rest of your group. Classes have skills that can reduce your agro so the mobs are not attacking you. They all have some form of small to large heal. If your not the tank and the mobs are attacking you so much that you feel your dieing your goup is doing something very wrong and you need to change tactics not run away.

I play a healer as my main and I would never group again with someone who ran away from the fight because they were afraid to die. You dont abandon your fellowship for a silly title.

Early in the game one of the developers explained why they ended the title at lvl 20. The reason they gave was they wanted players to take risks which will never happen if they are trying to get the undieing title.
    For group content the title means nothing, I totally agree.
    If you abandon your fellowship since you are afraid that your char does not reach the next title in this series, you should not group in the first place.

But there are players - like me - who do not group often, since they like to solo. And than a title for not dying starts to mean something around level 30 and up. At least for me.

Note: I agree that the current undying title can be reached too easily.

I don't think people cares about this titles enough to deny someone the invitation on a group.

I use the for fun. It would be great if we had a "careless" title, if the people somehow, managed to die at level 1. And a "Boring" title if people managed to reach cap level without dying... or dying less that 5 times... or something.

He's only talking about joining a group, not necessarily dying in group. To get to 20th without being defeated is usually a function of solo play, since you can't skirmish or do instances until you reach 20th level.

I agree, you don't want comrades running away in a group fight. But even as a group nothing wrong with the group running away if the battle is hopeless, even if it's just to regroup. Problem is, once players start getting defeated piece meal they tend to respawn, run back and the ones remaining may, have by this time, also been defeated so effort is scattered and usually ineffective as the rejoining players get defeated again. Sometimes best to regroup and start fresh, it's a balance between being foolhardy and evaluating chances of success.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast