We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Moving stars in the night sky

So I was standing in the Lone Lands tonight admiring the constellations, when I noticed two stars, one large and one small, next to orions belt that are not in the real night sky. As I was trying to figure out what they were supposed to be I noticed they were moving very slowly to the right. I waited for quite a while and it appears that these two "stars" are circling the night sky. Has anyone else noticed this before. The only thing I could think of is that one of them is Varda (the one who made the stars) and the other Manwë. Anyone else have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by nonamebrand View Post
    So I was standing in the Lone Lands tonight admiring the constellations, when I noticed two stars, one large and one small, next to orions belt that are not in the real night sky. As I was trying to figure out what they were supposed to be I noticed they were moving very slowly to the right. I waited for quite a while and it appears that these two "stars" are circling the night sky. Has anyone else noticed this before. The only thing I could think of is that one of them is Varda (the one who made the stars) and the other Manwë. Anyone else have any ideas?
    Planets. Not sure which ones right off the top of my head but that would be my guess.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][B][SIZE=4][I][COLOR=orange]Adder[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=orange][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=80048"][COLOR=orange][FONT=Book Antiqua][B]Hidden Nuggets we see all the time...[/B] [/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=lemonchiffon]- Hall of Fame Forum[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Adder%E2%80%99s_/Mood_y_Emote_Compendium"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=orange][B]Adder’s /Mood_y /Emotes Compendium[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Book Antiqua] [COLOR=lemonchiffon]- [/COLOR][COLOR=lemonchiffon]LoreBook[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=161639"][FONT=Book Antiqua][B][COLOR=orange]Announcing LOTRO Total Housing Redesign![/COLOR][/B] [/FONT][/URL][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=lemonchiffon]-[/COLOR] [COLOR=lemonchiffon]Suggestions Forum[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Adder View Post
    Planets. Not sure which ones right off the top of my head but that would be my guess.
    Maybe, but planets don't move through the night sky like that, they take days or weeks to have any noticeable change in position. These two were circling the sky throughout the night and stayed at the same distance above the horizon the whole time. Yes I did waste my time watching :-P

I forget the names, but in the sillmarillion, there are a few individuals that fly around in the night sky in magical boats, and such (very similar to the greek gods actually).

The ISS ?
    Evil will triumph so long as good men do nothing .

Quote Originally Posted by douglasburns View Post
    I forget the names, but in the sillmarillion, there are a few individuals that fly around in the night sky in magical boats, and such (very similar to the greek gods actually).
    That's what I thought it was too when I first saw it. But I think the real explanation is not that exciting. When I first noticed these two stars I was so fixated on them they were all I was focusing on. I waited for night again and this time I noticed that all the stars except the ones in the major constellations are slowly rotating around the sky from left to right, the same way the clouds do.

I'd very much like a real starchart rotating in the background, this would make nights awesome in this game. Right now there is only one constellation (Orion), one asterism (the Big Dipper) and one open star cluster (the Pleiades) and they don't move at all.
    But i know those objects are mentioned in FotR and that's probably why they are visible all night in the same direction.
    If I recall correctly, Aldebaran is mentioned as well, but I neither remember its name in Middle-Earth not wether it is visible in game.
    And of course there is Ëarendil (Venus) mentioned in LotR but I haven't seen him yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruili View Post
    I'd very much like a real starchart rotating in the background, this would make nights awesome in this game. Right now there is only one constellation (Orion), one asterism (the Big Dipper) and one open star cluster (the Pleiades) and they don't move at all.
    But i know those objects are mentioned in FotR and that's probably why they are visible all night in the same direction.
    If I recall correctly, Aldebaran is mentioned as well, but I neither remember its name in Middle-Earth not wether it is visible in game.
    And of course there is Ëarendil (Venus) mentioned in LotR but I haven't seen him yet either.
    "Away high in the east swung Remmirath, the Netted Stars,
    and slowly above the mists red Borgil rose, glowing like a
    jewel of fire. Then by some shift of airs all the mist was
    drawn away like a veil, and there leaned up, as he climbed
    over the rim of the world, the Swordsman of the Sky,
    Menelvagor with his shining belt. The Elves all burst into song."

Remmirath = The Pleiades ('Netted stars')
    Borgil = Aldebaran ('red hot star')
    Menelvagor = Orion (literally 'sky sword')

There are also some other named constellations, like Wilwarin = Cassiopeia ('butterfly' in Quenya), Helluin = Sirius ('blue ice'), Valacirca = Ursa Major ('Valar's sickle'). There's also Carnil ('red point', possibly Mars), Luinil ('blue star'), Nénar ('water on high') and Lumbar ('shadow home', Alcarinquë ('the glorious') and Elemmírë ('star jewel').

Oh and Morwinyon 'the glint at dusk' = Arcturus.
    Last edited by Xandarien_PoTI; Jul 07 2012 at 08:59 AM.
    Xandarien Elanessa, Híril of Pupils of the Istari on Evernight

Sindarin Lessons

Wow! So that constellation I've seen in the in-game sky is *really* the Orion's Belt equivalent????

Quote Originally Posted by douglasburns View Post
    Those are the Sun and the Moon. They have names, in the Silmarillion, but I don't remember them offhand; just woke up.

I am at a loss to imagine what the OP saw, or thought he saw, moving about. The night sky in-game is fixed ... Menelvagor is always rising in the East ... and the Moon is always full, slowly moving across it. Before the in-game clock was added, a couple of years into the game, we had to tell time by the position of the Sun or Moon.

Menelvagor is associated with the Vala Tulkas, the Warrior.

As for Earendil, we don't see him in the sky, but you can see a representation of his ship Vingilot, bearing the Silmaril, in Annuminas. Take the fast horse from Tinnudir, and you arrive in the central Dunedain camp. Head out of the camp's eastern entrance, turn north. Pass the two Dunedain guards, go into the open space where two Trolls are wandering about and half-a-dozen Angmarim are clustered around a pile of rubble. Go past them, up either of the two flights of stairs. You'll be in a central courtyard with a small reflecting pool in it. (The Angmarim are in the upper forties; depending on your level you may have to fight them, or they'll be grey and you can ignore them.) In the center of the pool is a pedestal; on the pedestal is an image of a small ship with two triangular sails, and a seven-pointed star atop the mast.

That represents Vingilot, with the Silmaril at its masthead, which Earendil sailed to Elvenhome to beg the Valar for help in Middle-earth against the forces of Morgoth. They answered, and brought such power to Middle-earth that Beleriand sank beneath the Sea, and all the places that Treebeared mourned in his song. And they set Earendil in his ship, with the Silmaril, to ride above the air and be the morning star.

Earendil's ship, with the Silmaril atop it, is one of the oldest images Tolkien put into his mythology.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Thanks a lot, Xanda. +rep

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I know in some of the earlier versions of the Silmarillion Menelvagor was representative of Hurin (or actually it might have been Turin now that I think about it, will have to look it up). He was supposed to show up at the Dagor Dagorath and kill Morgoth in vengeance of all the wrongs that were done against him.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000f8543/01003/signature.png]Whiteon[/charsig]

Those are the Sun and the Moon. They have names, in the Silmarillion, but I don't remember them offhand; just woke up.

I am at a loss to imagine what the OP saw, or thought he saw, moving about. The night sky in-game is fixed ... Menelvagor is always rising in the East ... and the Moon is always full, slowly moving across it. Before the in-game clock was added, a couple of years into the game, we had to tell time by the position of the Sun or Moon.

As for Earendil, we don't see him in the sky, but you can see a representation of his ship Vingilot, bearing the Silmaril, in Annuminas. Take the fast horse from Tinnudir, and you arrive in the central Dunedain camp. Head out of the camp's eastern entrance, turn north. Pass the two Dunedain guards, go into the open space where two Trolls are wandering about and half-a-dozen Angmarim are clustered around a pile of rubble. Go past them, up either of the two flights of stairs. You'll be in a central courtyard with a small reflecting pool in it. (The Angmarim are in the upper forties; depending on your level you may have to fight them, or they'll be grey and you can ignore them.) In the center of the pool is a pedestal; on the pedestal is an image of a small ship with two triangular sails, and a seven-pointed star atop the mast.

That represents Vingilot, with the Silmaril at its masthead, which Earendil sailed to Elvenhome to beg the Valar for help in Middle-earth against the forces of Morgoth. They answered, and brought such power to Middle-earth that Beleriand sank beneath the Sea, and all the places that Treebeared mourned in his song. And they set Earendil in his ship, with the Silmaril, to ride above the air and be the morning star.

Earendil's ship, with the Silmaril atop it, is one of the oldest images Tolkien put into his mythology.
    I need to go look for that now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000019689/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Micrathene View Post
    I need to go look for that now.
    Oh, do! It's a wonderful moment. I wish I had noted the coordinates; right now I'm not in-game and if I logged in I'd be in Angmar.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    I'm not sure if this is what the OP saw or not but it moved while the other stars stayed in place. Here are direct links to 1920x1080 versions of the below images for better clarity.
    http://i.imgur.com/rFSwy.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/tzz5f.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/zHAKr.jpg

Just above the "A in "Hlothran", the yellow star.

Almost past the "N" in "Hlothran"

Above the "T" in "The"
    Last edited by LethalLethality; Jul 07 2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"