We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Leveling Farming & Cooking

Hi all.
    I want to advance farming and cooking on an alt so i can make myself some food for endgame(the prices at ah are usually ridiculous and I want to be self sufficient).So i took a look at the cooking and farming recipes.

1)Is it possible to advance farming/cooking only by ingredients found on vendors?From what I saw,for example,i could max t1 by just making biscuits since both ingedients for it where sold at the vendor.The same i noticed at farming.Is it the same in all other tiers?

2)Any idea how much time it would take me?

3)Can i complete guild reciped as easily or is there an ingredient that i would have to find in the open world?

4)Any idea how much it would cost if i could max it by just buying ingredients?Dont mind as long as it remains around 15-20g

5)Is farming necessary for a cook?Or it is only needed for some ingredients(i.e for scholars)and stuff like pipeweed?

Thx in advance
    Last edited by Shadeslayer_withywindle; Jul 06 2012 at 11:11 AM.
    WL Shadebash Rank 8 DEF Shadecleanser Rank 8 BA Shadecrippler Rank 6 SPIDEY Shadenakh Rank 7 WARG Shadehowler Rank 7 RVR Shadeburz Rank 5

1) If you make a char and train them as a Yeoman, you and the supplier vendor will be able to get all the ingredients you need.

2) Give it 2 full days, and both your farming and cooking will be Westfold. Maybe faster, but it's definitely possible over a weekend. You won't be Guilded though, and this is useful to get, so make sure you log on daily to get your xp up.

3) I believe the statement in 1) is true for this query too.

4) Once you get into higher tiers of cooking, you can start selling the stuff. I'd put aside 20g if you're going to blast through it as described in 2), but you should be able to make that money back soon enough from other players.

5) Farming is not technically necessary in order to level a cook, but very highly recommended. Your costs will be much higher if you don't level farming, as you'll need lots of ingredients that are farming outputs.

One consideration I would place on this is that you don't really get the full benefit for Westfold Cooking if you have a lvl 10 hanging out in Michael Delving. As it stands, I can only get 25 of the top tier morale/power regen foods every week, and I can't craft the top tier +stat foods, as the regular recipes are rep gated to Dunland. I can craft Westfold foods still, but not the best ones. ie I can craft http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item%3ABilberry_Pie but not http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...and_Cheese_Pie (other than the Guild recipe for 25 Pies that can be used 1x week). It's obviously still useful, but I'm now stuck with my least favourite class (ie the one I'm least likely to level) as my cook.
    Last edited by DMor; Jul 06 2012 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadeslayer_withywindle View Post
    Hi all.
    I want to advance farming and cooking on an alt so i can make myself some food for endgame(the prices at ah are usually ridiculous and I want to be self sufficient).So i took a look at the cooking and farming recipes.

1)Is it possible to advance farming/cooking only by ingredients found on vendors?From what I saw,for example,i could max t1 by just making biscuits since both ingedients for it where sold at the vendor.The same i noticed at farming.Is it the same in all other tiers?

2)Any idea how much time it would take me?

3)Can i complete guild reciped as easily or is there an ingredient that i would have to find in the open world?

4)Any idea how much it would cost if i could max it by just buying ingredients?Dont mind as long as it remains around 15-20g

5)Is farming necessary for a cook?Or it is only needed for some ingredients(i.e for scholars)and stuff like pipeweed?

Thx in advance
    1: Farming yes it is ... everything you need is for sale at the Farmer NPC. Not so with cooking, you will need some farm stuff

2: This depends on how long you intend to stay at your PC. Before T7 came out I made a Yeoman and was determined to get as far as I could in one go. I hit Supreme Master in both Cook and Farmer in just under 9hrs

3: ALL Cook Guild Items require Farm Grown and Vendor bought items, there is nothing in the open world required except Time

4: Just buying ingredients, and not buying Recipes until you max out. You could spend no more than 150s on Farming. Not sure on Cook as I messed up and went the wrong way, and spent almost 15g on NPC stuff instead of just making the components

5: Farming is a BIG part of Cooking, the majority of Cooked foods requires something that has to be farmed

As a TIP
    Check on your Cook Tier what you need to make to complete that Tier
    Go to your Farmer and Farm that item to complete that Tier

Only buy the recipes if you have to, or when you finished the levelling

as an example
    cups of spring barley flour for cook --- just farm spring barley
    HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 390 8Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

My main (shamborn) is a tinker, which includes cooking, and my hunter is a farming (via scholar profession) alt.
    However, shamborn belongs to the jewelers guild, not the cooking guild. In my opinion, I like the jeweler guild better than the cooks guild.

I had farming at supreme master around level 12 on the hunter. I just passed some cash to him via mailbox to be able to buy all the supplies.

Using the farmed veggies, and vendor bought material, I leveled cooking being completely self sufficient.

One thing to note is that if you buy cooking materials in housing area with either a personal or kin house, it will be a bit cheaper.
    85 RK | 85 CHMP | 75 BRG | many others

Thumbs up

Does anyone know a full list of basic ingredients to get for this leveling process?
    I'd just buy it all in your neighborhood for the discount before moving into the farming fields...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001ee718/01008/signature.png]Lucanthanas[/charsig]

Ok guys thx for the answers

One last question thougho i lose much by not being in the guild?My rk is lvl 72 and kin with dunland already but i think i'd rather be in the jewellers guild.He'll soon be 75 and after I gear him up a bit I'll start crafting.I have 2 lower alts that i can change to a profession with farming so they can get the farming ingredients for me.
    Haven't got much rep with the jeweller's guild right now,but maybe in RoR we won't have access to raid lvl gear and jewels so easily so i want to keep my chars covered(I also have a maxed in everything lvl 75 tailor)
    WL Shadebash Rank 8 DEF Shadecleanser Rank 8 BA Shadecrippler Rank 6 SPIDEY Shadenakh Rank 7 WARG Shadehowler Rank 7 RVR Shadeburz Rank 5

Quote Originally Posted by ShammWoww View Post
    My main (shamborn) is a tinker, which includes cooking, and my hunter is a farming (via scholar profession) alt.
    However, shamborn belongs to the jewelers guild, not the cooking guild. In my opinion, I like the jeweler guild better than the cooks guild.
    Actually...if one started with this combination (or a Woodsman for the farming in place of the Historian), and add a Yeoman for the Cooks Guild, it will work quite well.

The Yeoman can do the Guild recipes, while the Tinker (at high level and rep) can get rep gated recipes, which don't have Guild equivalents anyway, for trail food, and the high-level Farmer (whether Historian or Woodsman) can get the rep gated Farming recipes for Wildflowers (useful for Scholar) and pipeweed varieties (not useful for anything, really).

If 25 crit food per week isn't enough...make some more low level Yeomen with Cooks Guild rep. (I have 3 Yeomen...though they are all high level, which isn't necessary for them to function this way.)

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer