We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Eglain Rep

Eglain Rep

I have recently returned to LOTRO after a couple years off, and am now playing my original avatar, a 50th level hunter. Long, long ago, I remember toiling in the Lone-lands. I did every single quest, and quite a few deeds. Now, I'd like to earn Kindred status for all the factions in Eregion, and I find I have a problem. After all that adventuring years ago, I only have "Friend" status among the Eglain. There are no more quests for me to take, no reputation items to buy at auction, and each kill nets me about 8 points.

I'm not sure how that happened. I've had no similar issues with other factions, having recently maxed Shire, Bree-Land, and Evendim. Other regions appear to be progressing well.

So do I really have to grind out 2,500 mob kills to get the rest of the needed reputation? Because that sounds unbearably boring.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000258e63/01008/signature.png]Farodur[/charsig]

You can get Eglain rep buy running GA instances, the skirnish on weathertop (forgot the name), and crafting certian items and turning them in, this is in addition to killing mobs.

Eglain Rep = Crafting

There is a vendor right inside Ost Guruth that will give you quests (purchased from him) that will have you craft items based on your crafting skill. These crafted quest items awards your rep with the eglain, so build up your stores of crafting ingredients buy the quest then make the items. Turn them in and you advance in rep with them, it is toiling but maybe better then killing 250o mobs. As well you can only have one quest at atime going so you have to buy the quest from him over and over again to get the rep done.

Zeff of United Races of Vilya

I think the eglain vendor in Ost Guruth can sell you recipes/orders for items that they wish you to craft - much like the ranger cloaks in esteldin - which you can fill as many times as you want. I remember doing this with my Burglar and am currently doing it with my cook.

They love Onion soup for some reason ... go figure

Please check this thread ... here's one of the suggestions from that thread:

Re: Easiest Way to Earn Eglain Rep?

I just did GA.

Challenge Ivar = 1200
    Challenge Grimbark = 1200
    Challenge Maid = 1200
    Challenge for the other guy in the fortress = 900
    1 optional per section = 2100
    Kills = 8-24 each

Easily 6000 a day not counting doing multiple optionals. Considering you can do that in about 1 hrs time, not bad at all.
    Other option for grinding rep is to murder a billion orcs and wights... that'd take a long time, though.
    [center]You become a [color=red][b]champion[/b][/color] by fighting one more round.
    When things are tough, you fight one more round.
    [i]James J. Corbett[/i][/center]

Thanks for the pointers, folks. Looks like this one is difficult by design.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000258e63/01008/signature.png]Farodur[/charsig]

Being a cook, I found reaching kindred with the Eglain very painless and fast.

Don't forget the rep boost worth 5k from the store.

Quote Originally Posted by c0c0c0 View Post
    Thanks for the pointers, folks. Looks like this one is difficult by design.
    Difficult? Eglain rep is one of the easiest in the game.

Simply doing every quest in the Lone-lands will give you 72k rep out of 85k needed for Kindred, more if you do multiple optionals in the instances. Of the remaining 13k, you'll have gotten a few thousand from kills along the way, leaving just 5-8k. Since most classes need 10 Eglain tokens, you'll be rerunning some of the instances, and will actually go over what's needed without any effort. Assuming just 2 more Fortress runs to get your tokens, you'll have picked up another 7k.

With the proper pattern, Barrows alone can generate 5k per day in a single trip. If you don't feel like fighting Ivar you can still get 4k from doing just the optionals. The same applies to the Arboretum so there's 8k without needing to do the difficult boss fights, and both are easily done in a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameranth View Post
    Difficult? Eglain rep is one of the easiest in the game.

Simply doing every quest in the Lone-lands will give you 72k rep out of 85k needed for Kindred...
    And yet, despite having done every solo quest, I only have a few thousand. At some point in the multi-year life of this character, something changed and left me with the heed to grind rep.

I make this a little harder for myself by avoiding most activities that require grouping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameranth View Post
    Since most classes need 10 Eglain tokens, you'll be rerunning some of the instances
    What's that about? Is there something I'm going to need later?
    Last edited by c0c0c0; Jul 06 2012 at 10:25 AM.

And yet, despite having done every solo quest, I only have a few thousand. At some point in the multi-year life of this character, something changed and left me with the heed to grind rep.

I make this a little harder for myself by avoiding most activities that require grouping up.

That's probably because there was not always Eglain rep. And when it was introduced people who went through the lonelands already did not get the rep retroactively.

The difficulty is that you have a character that completed the Lone Lands before the Eglain faction arrived. You missed out on a lot of the reputation because you did not get credit for all the kills.

It seems like some of the quests were versioned. Replaced with new updated quests. You did the original quest - you did not get the reputation points. The version you and I completed never awarded reputation points. We can't do the replacement quest because we did the older version.

You will have to go back to Lonelands. Find all the quests that you can do. They are scattered around. It can be very difficult to find them because the supporting sinew - the vector quests are not fully available. I would suggest finding a guide on Lonelands. Spend the time to compare your log of completed quests to all the available quests. Do all those quests like the bounty quests.

You will still be faced with repeating GA. Crafting stuff for the NPC in Ost Guruth. Random murder of qualifying locals. I would have made a decent number of points I got reputation for all the killing while doing the slayer deeds in Lonelands.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

At some point in the multi-year life of this character, something changed and left me with the heed to grind rep.
    Ah. Yes, that does complicate things. Not to mention how much it sucks.

Just my opinion, but if Turbine is going to do something as dramatic as adding reputation to an entire zone, it should be given retroactively. Missing a few thousand rep due to changes is one thing, missing 80,000 is a completely different story.

In that case, I'd suggest repeatedly running Garth Agarwen instances for the daily reputation, making sure to do as many optionals as possible on each trip. Done right, you can get more rep from Grim/Ivar, but running the main GA instance is far easier to get a group for and complete.

Eglain tokens are a daily reward for completing the 4 challenges in Garth Agarwen. They're bartered for some very nice gear that you'll be using for another 15 levels.

See here for details.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I was lured away by flashier game-play for a while, but no other game has a community like this one.

When Eglain rep was added Turbine *did* give rep for all quests already done. They added rep for kills some time after that, and that didn't get the retroactive treatment.

On the plus side, they also realigned the quest hubs and added quests as part of the revamp, so someone who has already done LL quests probably has some more to find and complete.

In any case, one can grind it out if fairly short order doing the crafting rep items (10s per 700 rep, with a discount that kicks in when the rep is high enough). *All* crafts have items that can be made to gain Eglain rep, though the ones that make more items rather than crit'd items are more convenient. The craft items are Tier 3 (Expert), IIRC. It's been a while since I've needed to do Eglain rep.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

consider that you have to buy the quest to do the craft related rep grind (it hurts the wallet alot) then add in for me what was a nightmare as a weapons smith you could only make traps and those traps requrired and still require straw and straw being a rare drop off of farming and it was a no go for me.. i simply spent 12 hours in GG and ground out the rep at 8 to 25 rep per kill as i was far to high to get quests by then