We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is Loremaster right for me?

Greetings, all. I've been playing Lotro for a few months now, and I've had trouble settling on a main. Loremaster was the first class I tried, and I put it down fairly early because I kept dying. Looking back, I don't think I understood the class at all, and I also understand from the forums that LM are a bit of a chore before level 30 or so.

My first "serious" character was a Guardian, but I really, really didn't like the reactive nature of the skills. I'd sit there doing nothing (ie, auto attacking), waiting for a block or parry proc. I was in no danger, but didn't really feel like the occasional buttons I pressed actually mattered much.

I then moved to a Burglar, and I took him up to the high twenties. I liked all the "extra" stuff he could do, and I really like the way he could tackle more than one mob (I was Mischief traited). However, the rotations always felt clunky. I've always been a melee player in other games (WoW), but melee attacks all took the same amount of time, allowing you to get into a rhythm. Burglar did not feel like that, as my staple attacks (ie, those few not on long cooldowns) often left periods of time where I had no button to push. I also felt like I had very little control over the mob I was fighting (as opposed to the one I had Riddle-locked).

Hearing that Wardens were the ultimate button pusher, I spent some TP to unlock the Warden, and put it down very fast. Man, is that shouting irritating or what? And I like activity, but that was a bit too much like an arcade game.

Feeling like LotRO melee might not be for me, I tried the Hunter next. In many ways, it was absolutely awesome. The Hunter rotations feel very smooth - the induction bars help even the long skills fit nicely. I traited yellow (I've never been a dps player), and had a blast all the way until the mid thirties, when things began to get old.

Perhaps my best experience so far in game has been on my hunter grinding the trollslayer deed in the Lone Lands. The trolls are tough, and respawn fast. I'd have to use all my crowd control to take down the troll safely, and then get back to my campfire to quickly regen power and morale before the next spawn. Respawn times forced me to fight essentially non-stop, but I didn't feel held up by cooldowns - I just really needed to be on my game, which felt great.

My complaint with the Hunter is how, with some exceptions, pretty much every mob, and every pull, looks exactly the same to a hunter. Focus-trap-slow-dps-dps-dps. For every mob. Sometimes I can get tricky and fear a beast mob for a multimob pull, or trap one while I finish the other, but basically, I fight one mob at a time, or I don't bother. And I either win overwhelmingly, or have to turn tail and flee. I think that's why I enjoyed the troll fights so much - I won, but barely.

Between these two factors, I've not really logged in for the past two weeks. I'm starting to feel like LotRO doesn't actually have a class for me, and my interest is drifting, ESPECIALLY given how many characters I've leveled recently. The thought of going through that grind again is not terribly appealing.

So, based on what I've told you about my playstyle and preferences, do you think LM is the class that I might enjoy taking to max level.
    Last edited by Twisted.Silver; Jun 30 2012 at 05:22 AM.

The lore master is a hard class at lower levels but u do get quite a few tricks to ply with as u level.
    At the lower levels u will feel very squishy once u pick up the trick to using flanks though things get easier. At level 20 u will also get the lore masters very strong panic button heal that helps u servive trouble at lower levels that move can quite possibly heal u fully from practically zero.
    Also at early levels u may get times when u feel u have no moves u can use for a time due to low cd's.
    I am not sure from what u have written quite whatt your play style is but i started with a hunter and then made a lore master as my second character and its now the one i enjoy the most.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000001447e1/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Loremaster and Hunter play very much alike, especially a ToF-Hunter. Two main differences: as a LM I never run... I always have more tricks up my sleeve that might turn the fight around (and yes, that often also means I die trying ). And LMs do damage in bursts and are even more useless in melee... which means you HAVE to control the fight, opposed to a Hunter who can usually just try to blast through stuff quick enough.

But as said above, a LM only has a somewhat complete set of skills at level 30 and only starts to really shine around level 45-50 because they have just so many different skills to obtain. So levelling them can be a bit of a chore.
    Ingaras, lvl 75 Elven Hunter; and others...
    [URL="http://thewesternalliance.org"]The Western Alliance[/URL], Laurelin
    [i]"The priority now is the store not the game. The store no longer supports the game, its the other way around."[/i]

Yeah, i think revisit your LM. and maybe try a capt. also.

My standard advice to anyone especially f2p, is try play the 4 available class's up to at least lvl, 30. or out as far as start of the GA's. This will help in several way's. 1) deciding on your main, an sec. class. 2) Help's alot in understanding how the other class's diffier in battle's. and what they bring to the table when it come's to fighting, pre an post pull's.* 3) If you stay away from buying a mount . u can get over 500 tp saved up per char.., last person did this had around 600tp of 1 char. x5 is healthy banked tp. but you still have to be careful what you unlock, warden an rune keep, best leave them an unlock wit h the MoM exspansion.

* even as a warden, i have a stun, but often find, maybe best have another class stun , root or what ever pre battle. it help's alot take the bite out of the mob's for everyone.

Just a thought

I also am playing around with about 5 classes trying to settle on a main. One thing I would keep in mind is the race you choose also matters. The Elves tend to be a squishy race. So, that could be a factor if you find yourself killed with annoying regularity. I had an Elf minstrel who died ALL the time. I switched my minstrel to a Hobbit and am happier with that.

Good luck!

My LM is in the end 40s right now and just got his first two legendary items. I died a lot when I started this class. One of the most important lessons I learned: always have your pet out. (I prefer the bear for tanking purposes.) This includes keeping the thing alive when in combat. Also, you have to get used to your crowd control skills. And debuff your enemies as much as you can. Although this might not be necessary in all cases, it helps to get your class traits and, making your pet inflict more damage than you, keeps you away from the center of the fight. My main is a champ, but I really do enjoy the LM. You should defenitely give it another try.

I would prefer the raven at low levels. Flanks keep you alive, but the bear can't tank effectively. He can hold 1 enemy, which you don't attack... but hey I can handle those with blinding flash and cracked earth, why should I use the bear? The flanks and benedition of the raven are more useful in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegwyn View Post
    I also am playing around with about 5 classes trying to settle on a main. One thing I would keep in mind is the race you choose also matters. The Elves tend to be a squishy race. So, that could be a factor if you find yourself killed with annoying regularity. I had an Elf minstrel who died ALL the time. I switched my minstrel to a Hobbit and am happier with that.

Good luck!
    Huh.

Elf Passives:

Agility of the Woods: +15 Agility
    Fading of the Firstborn: -7 Fate (made up for by +20 from Friend of Man racial trait)
    Sorrow of the Firstborn: -20 max morale (dear lord, Skithi Blackhand is going to tear you to shreds) -60 ooc morale regen
    Suffer no Illness: +Poison and Disease Resist Chance

Hobbit Passives:

Hobbit Courage: +1% Fear Resist Chance
    Hobbit-Toughness: +15 Vitality
    Rapid Recovery: +60 ooc morale regen
    Resist Corruption: +1% Shadow Mits (damn, you wouldn't catch me in Archet without that one)
    Small Size: -7 Might (made up for by the +20 from the Hobbit Stature racial)

Yes, yes, I see the horrible disadvantage the elves are at. What, with the -20 max morale and no 15 vit bonus?! It's amazing anyone plays the race at all. Must be the ears.

Honestly though, race barely makes a difference. If you're worried about endgame content, there's different schools of thought on what you should be playing, most lean toward men for the 5% inc healing buff (some hunters like elves for the bow damage/Agility and then there's all the dorfs, but we don't talk about them) but for the casual player, it makes virtually no difference. Don't sweat it and play what makes you comfy.

Oh. This thread was about classes. Play an lm. Leveling is easy and you'll feel like a total pimp with your pets and staff. Or an exotic pole dancer who has a thing for cats. Just do Sign of Power: Righteousness during the spinning animation of /toast: guaranteed to get the pants off every female toon (and some male elves) within sight.

That is all.
    [CENTER]
    [IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk321/jdcasy/ApexFlight_zps07fef3b4.png[/IMG][COLOR=#a9a9a9]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][B]~ Cirq - r13 LM - Apex - Elendilmir [/B]// [B]Cirone of Windfola ~[/B][B][I]
    "Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times."[/I] [/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Personally, I find Burglar to be more of a chore levelling up than Lore Master, but also just as rewarding.

I would suggest giving it another shot. Are you taking advantage of flanking? Using the raven over the bear? Saving Wizard's Fire so that it's not on cooldown when you flank an enemy?

My LM is almost level 20 and hasn't died yet. Oh, there have been some close calls, yes... but I've managed to retreat in time.

Definitely yes. LMs don't have a skill rotation, at 75 I'm usually dpsing, rooting, mezzing, stunning, healing, power restoring, debuffing, curing wounds/diseases, applying stun immunity, removing corruption and managing pets not in this order. Not in any order actually. Depending on the situation there are so many things you can do you won't have time to get bored :P

And I can confirm it gets better.

Captain is another awesome multitasking versatile class but it really shines while grouping and it is a real pain to lvl up due to lack of damaging skills.
    KANOMIR Captain
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000387e63/01008/signature.png]Anitta[/charsig]

Ýou should give your LM another try for sure!

Starting, after Mini and Hunter as my third Alt, my LM became my fav toon as soon as I got out of the dust around lvl 35. My Mini is and still will be my main, but having the LM up on lvl 75 I play it a lot. Enjoying all the possibilities it offers (i.e. after a pityful wipe at ToO ID 2, first room ... holding up the surviving warden and killed the last 2 trolls with him - damn close call, nearly lasting forever, good warden ^^ ).

Soloing is easy if you got the clue and passed lvl ~35, using pets depending on the situation offers a lot of variation. And you'll never have problems grouping at endgame content.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCass View Post
    Huh.

Elf Passives:

Agility of the Woods: +15 Agility
    Fading of the Firstborn: -7 Fate (made up for by +20 from Friend of Man racial trait)
    Sorrow of the Firstborn: -20 max morale (dear lord, Skithi Blackhand is going to tear you to shreds) -60 ooc morale regen
    Suffer no Illness: +Poison and Disease Resist Chance

Hobbit Passives:

Hobbit Courage: +1% Fear Resist Chance
    Hobbit-Toughness: +15 Vitality
    Rapid Recovery: +60 ooc morale regen
    Resist Corruption: +1% Shadow Mits (damn, you wouldn't catch me in Archet without that one)
    Small Size: -7 Might (made up for by the +20 from the Hobbit Stature racial)

Yes, yes, I see the horrible disadvantage the elves are at. What, with the -20 max morale and no 15 vit bonus?! It's amazing anyone plays the race at all. Must be the ears.

Honestly though, race barely makes a difference. If you're worried about endgame content, there's different schools of thought on what you should be playing, most lean toward men for the 5% inc healing buff (some hunters like elves for the bow damage/Agility and then there's all the dorfs, but we don't talk about them) but for the casual player, it makes virtually no difference. Don't sweat it and play what makes you comfy.

Oh. This thread was about classes. Play an lm. Leveling is easy and you'll feel like a total pimp with your pets and staff. Or an exotic pole dancer who has a thing for cats. Just do Sign of Power: Righteousness during the spinning animation of /toast: guaranteed to get the pants off every female toon (and some male elves) within sight.

That is all.
    Elf Lore-Masters also have good synergy with the 1H Sword-use Legendary (as Elves have a +2% 1H Sword Damage).

Not much in the overall scheme of things, but it does add a certain customization if you want a melee-leaning LM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000048ef64/01003/signature.png]Rithwis[/charsig]

Lore-master is, for me, epic! It has a different rotation each battle and you have to respond on everything. In the first 20 levels you will be frustrated because you, or at least I, will die 2 times for 1 quest if you solo. But at lvl 20 or so, I got in it, and it felt familiar Of course I stayed dying if I solo'ed, but less. And now, at 45, I can solo most stuff without dying, where my friend (cappy) fails 3 times.

So, if you like stunning/rezzing/rooting/power restoring/disease/wound healing/damaging a bit and debuffing, then it is something for you. If you had thinking and responding, don't try.

Another tip, find a friend and lvl up together. I did with a cappy, and it makes the game lots more fun! LM is very strong if there is a heavy with him, cause your inductions won't be interrupted.

End game playing, i dunno, but at lvl 50 a LM is always wanted in fs quests.

And ofc: good luck! Already tried the cappy? My friend says it's amazing...
    Tennyson - level 44 Man Lore-master
    Finison - level 11 Elf Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
    Elf Lore-Masters also have good synergy with the 1H Sword-use Legendary (as Elves have a +2% 1H Sword Damage).

Not much in the overall scheme of things, but it does add a certain customization if you want a melee-leaning LM.
    This is true for both elves and humans actually, mu Human LM has it as well
    KANOMIR Captain
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000387e63/01008/signature.png]Anitta[/charsig]

I know exactly how the OP feels; I also started as Loremaster and in the beginning I felt weak and useless. However, I discussed this with my Kinleader at that time and first he made me feel worse when he told me what is to be expected from a Loremaster in fellowships/instances. I seriously considered rerolling on a different class. But he convinced me to stay on my Loremaster and to learn a versatile and challenging class. The reason? It would get better as I leveled and when I would reach 65 (level cap at that time), I would rock. So I stayed on my Loremaster and with his advices and training runs, I worked my way up. Yes, it was hard up to lvl20 because I was squishy, but it got better as I reached the 30's and when I reached 50 I entered Moria with a feeling of confidence, knowing I would be capable of soloing most quests in there. When I reached 65 I noticed that well-played Loremasters are quite popular in instances. Now I'm 75, got most of the end-game gear and despite not being able to level it up, I still love to play it. It's versatile, offers different playstyles that you can choose, and yes... it rocks, both soloing and in fellowships.

So my advice is: don't give up on your Loremaster until you are atleast lvl30 or 40. Learn the skills, know your traits and traitlines and try out the different pets that you get. You will see that the LM is versatile and challenging, but if you master the class it can be a lot of fun. Just imagine how 5 mobs surrounding a tank can burn in a hell's fire for almost a minute... that is just one of the many things a LM can do... and the tank will love you for it (despite the lag) ;-)
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/lotro/1/1/9/6/2/111962ZuCGH.png[/img][/url]

[I]Courage is not the absence of fear, but knowing there is something more important than being afraid.[/I]

I will toss in my .02 on LM. Not for teh weak of heart. The LM class is very survivable even at lower levels if you you know and understand your skills. That is saying a lot right there. It is critical to read the skills tool tips and understand every line, some are subtle as to the skill actions. I noticed you seem to have issues in the level 30 - 40 range. That is common in my experience for most classes, try to push through it.

For LM, level 45 on you start to really rock the DPS a bit better and your grouping gets better in the 50s IMO. Running solo means you will "miss" at least 50% of why the LM class is in the game. Check out the thread asking about healing LMs. Traited yellow with Force of Will, we are a huge game changer. Not many will know or care to know, but you and a good raid leader will.

You have mentioned trying several classes but not really what you look for in a MMO.... DPS, tank, support, heals......
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.