We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lore-Master or Warden?

Hello everyone, new to Lotro and looking for a main class to play. I've narrowed it down to LM or Warden. I've played both to the mid teens and like both so far.

I doubt Ill grp much in the game, I prefer to solo most of the time due to my weird work schedules. My playstyle is in a word 'extreme' I like to try and take on the biggest, baddest thing I can and see if I can defeat it. I derive great pleasure in saying 'Yeah, I did that', when you not technically suppose to.

I will grp from time to time though, I think skirmishes will be 90% of my grping extent with a dungeon or two for good measure.

So, in your opinion and experience would a Lore-Master or Warden be better suited for that?

This is a LM sub-forum, so most people will probably disagree with me, but I think Warden might be best for you. It's a robust class, that's very good for soloing and tackling the biggest baddest guys around. Lore Master is more of a finesse class, that turns fights into chess matches. In X-Men terms, Wardens are like Wolverine, and LMs are like Professor X. Wolverine can charge right in and doesn't need to worry about getting beat up, but the Professor needs to plan ahead and strategize to get the most out of his abilities. LMs really shine in groups, where their supporting abilities can make a huge difference. Wardens are much simpler to play with solo.

tough call

I have both a level 75 Warden and a level 75 Loremaster. For soloing the Loremaster is king. Put some time and thought into your pet and use him properly and there isn't much you can't defeat. However, Wiedman is correct. You can't just charge in with the loremaster or you will get beaten like you owe that monster money. I can solo the 144k morale spiders in Stangard with my Warden. Yeah, it takes a while, but I can do it. I like the strategy and versatility of the Loremaster but some times you just have to grab a Warden and go on a rampage.

In all the Loremaster is more challenging to play well in my opinion and therefore more fun.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000003dcde/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by tampamacster View Post
    ....or you will get beaten like you owe that monster money.
    Man, I laughed for like 5 mins after reading that. I don't know why but I thought it was hilarious. Thanks for the lol, I needed it!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000311d5/01003/signature.png]Calagon[/charsig]

Had a good laugh with that comment, thanks!

Would it be safe to assume that the Warden is 1v1 and the Lore-Master is more AOE oriented as well? I dig the Wardens combat animations, squishiness scares me a bit and makes me just a little leary of Lore-Master. However, I like the idea of being versitile and from what I've read the LM can provide that.

Still considering my options and I thank those that have replied so far.

LMs and Wardens are both decent against groups, for different reasons. Wardens can simply eat shots, regenerate their morale, and gradually wear down the bad guys. LMs have lots of AoE, but also roots and mezzes, and you need to be careful with their AoEs lest you wake up a guy frozen by your Blinding Flash. Both classes require you to think ahead, but it's easier to settle into a pattern with the Warden. A Lore Master needs to always be on his toes, making sure that he's using the right skills at the right time.

In group content, where the difficulty really jumps up, the Warden has the relatively simple task of drawing aggro and taking a beating. The Lore Master has to be ready to mez, buff, debuff, deal damage, heal, transfer power, and cure wounds and disease, all while managing a pet and making sure that at least the tank and healer have stun immunity. It's a much more complicated situation, but for people who want to commit to mastering their class, Lore Masters can be very rewarding.

I don't have a warden and am pretty biased towards the LM. But, just from what I've seen in reading the forums, I think wardens generally have an easier time with solo challenges. By this, I don't mean the general landscape quests, but in challenges such as soloing 6-man content and the like. So, from that perspective, a warden might be the better bet.

To your question, LMs are at squishy low levels, but get sturdier as we level and gain more skills. Morover, one of the best things about the LM is that every few levels, you get new skills that make you feel like you have an entirely new class. Some may disagree, but I think the other classes (mini, burg, etc.), are still fun, but their changes feel more incremental.

That said, I would try both classes up until their 30s. LMs don't really start to have a good rhythm until then. You should have a pretty good feel for both classes and will probably gravitate towards one playstyle versus the other. Have fun, and happy hunting!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000051de2/signature.png]Naethromraw[/charsig]

I have both in raid gear at 75. For what your talking about i prefer my warden, but that doesnt mean that the LM cant do it. In fact i find the LM to be quite sturdy due to self heals and CC. All in all i think the warden will be better suited to outlast while the LM will go a little faster. It really comes down to... do you like melee or caster better?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003bfae5/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

the thing is lms are harder so more fun solo, however you don't have any oops barrier, 1 decent messup and you get live in boromir's house.

with lm you will be heavly pet reliant solo which may limit you from using certain pets and get you stuck into only a few(eagle)

But one thing you need to remember is what kind of extreme yeah i did that do you want? my friend soloed helegarch(an 6 man boss) shure he was overleveled but it was still hard. if you want that go ward, or even guard(my friend was a guard) however if you consider soloing a 7 mob pull as a challenge of equal demenour pick lm you'll have more fun.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000051a48/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    lore-masters are like wolves, alone we're pretty great but in a pack...

with a lore master you can kill every enemy can be rooted/stunned/dazed else you are death meat no way

Warden is OP and can self heal enought for kill all.

When i played a warden tbh i see himreally squiscy at low level and not really good for old istance low level, anyway i think wardencan be better for soloing every you like.

Warden - OP and very easy class
    LM - still challenge, interesting class
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0100002d3299/signature.png]Arrangaar[/charsig][COLOR=#b22222]
    Arrengash[/COLOR], warg rank 8
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Dark Blades[/B][/COLOR]

From you desription of how you like to play, I'd say warden over lore-master. Which ever you decide, try to find a friend who is the other class. A warden and a lore-master together are a dangerous pair.
    Elendilmir - Officer of the Mithril Crowns (The Oldest Kinship in LOTRO)

"It doesn't matter how well you play, only how good you look while playing."

Quote Originally Posted by Tirroth View Post
    Would it be safe to assume that the Warden is 1v1 and the Lore-Master is more AOE oriented as well? I dig the Wardens combat animations, squishiness scares me a bit and makes me just a little leary of Lore-Master. However, I like the idea of being versitile and from what I've read the LM can provide that.
    No.

LM can do awesome burst AOE damage, but has long cooldowns on the skills. They are incredibly squishy and die very fast if they can't keep things controlled. But that is part of the challenge of playing them

WRD has great AOE, but it is more damage over time (DOT) and morale leeches. When you get the right gambits, you can easily run into a group of 10+ on level mobs, put on some leeching AOEs, some DOTs and start swinging one by one.

The LM would kill them faster, but die quickly if he gets it wrong and can't sustain it due to cooldowns.

The WRD will kill them slower, but can take more on and sustain it indefintely.

Quote Originally Posted by xXnAAme View Post
    Warden - OP and very easy class
    LM - still challenge, interesting class
    Warden is not OP, and not 'very easy'.

Of course there is an easy way to play it, especially solo and PVE. Same could be said of most classes. Wardens are like Othello, quick to learn the basics but a lifetime to master. Compared directly to a LM, then yes, the WRD is an easier class to play, but it is still and advanced class and far harder than most others.

---

I think you should level both, as they are both great classes. Though if you can only pick one, I would say WRD and that is only based on what you stated in your original post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tirroth View Post
    My playstyle is in a word 'extreme' I like to try and take on the biggest, baddest thing I can and see if I can defeat it. I derive great pleasure in saying 'Yeah, I did that', when you not technically suppose to.
    Why? Because I saw a very well geared WRD take on the two twin Arch-Nemesis trolls outside the gates of Isengard, and solo them for at least 30 minutes. He got one down to about 40% Morale, but eventually lost. Still an incredible feat!! If you want extreme? Get your WRD up to 75 gear him up, and go take on the trolls and win - i'm sure it can be done!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000000a821f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'm going to have to suggest Warden.
    Why? I have seen them breeze through elite masters and Nemesis monsters without breaking a sweat. With warden, if you can remember the gambits, you have yourself an indestructible force. One downside, which shouldn't matter for you from your OP, is that while levelling you may struggle to tank in a group. I've no experience with Warden myself, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but a kin-mate last night was struggling to maintain aggro while we did Fornost. (he's level 45)
    In regards to LM, yes, the are fun. Yes, they can (if you are good) solo some difficult mobs. But the problem I can see you having is the inductions. you get very few instant skills (I can only think of staff strike and staff sweep right now) and sometimes the inductions are a real pain.
    Just out of interest, because I've never personally managed it: how does LM solo the mobs in Limlight Gorge? I tried sending my pet n first, CC'ing from time to time, and buffing my pet, but I still kept dying
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

One point that hasn't been made is that to play a solo Lore-Master, you have to like pets. Your pet will be your tank, as you DPS and CC the mob and his friends.

If you don't like using pets in MMO's, then Warden would be a better bet.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000048ef64/01003/signature.png]Rithwis[/charsig]

I'm playing a lvl 75 main Warden and am just getting into the LM class on an alt. Yes, the warden can do amazing stuff. Yes, you don't have to go out looking for groups for instance when going to Limlight Gorge. But to me at least, soloing tough opponents is not what interests me in the Warden: I find these fights tedious - repeating the same rotations over and over and merely adjusting for when to self-heal or self-buff instead of DPS. The Warden player's finger muscles are kept busy, at least... I find the class amazing when it comes to tanking in groups because you need a lot of positional awareness. The Warden is an excellent mobile tank and doesn't have to stand up to the enemies' toes at all times. It takes good judgement not to break CC's and to gauge aggro generation vs self-preservation and damage dealt.

Soloing on the other hand gets incredibly boring as most landscape mobs and even groups don't pose much threat. Most fights don't seem very epic on a Warden, and that is perhaps what drives them to this madness of assaulting the gates of Isengart directly. Until you are somewhat geared properly the situation might be different, it's hard to say because I was experiencing the RoI nerfs at that stage, too.

I currently enjoy the LM a lot because it can deal with a lot of situations but it requires the right strategy and some planning ahead - there always seems to be the possibility of the fight going horribly wrong and of dieing. For the moment, I find this extremely fascinating, as even the normal questing mobs and fights become interesting again.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1f21b0000002088b1/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Wardens are defiantly sturdier,but lore masters can be quite tough if played right (I went to rivendell at lvl 16 on my lore master) My brother (who is a captain at my rank, by the way) called me insane :/

But anyway, these are my two favorite classes so whatever you choose you will be happy!

[QUOTE=warinthenorth;6280714]Wardens are defiantly sturdier,but lore masters can be quite tough if played right (I went to rivendell at lvl 16 on my lore master) My brother (who is a captain at my rank, by the way) called me insane :/

But anyway, these are my two favorite classes so whatever you choose you will be happy!

[QUOTE=warinthenorth;6280715][QUOTE=warinthenorth;6280714]Wardens are defiantly sturdier,but lore masters can be quite tough if played right (I went to rivendell at lvl 16 on my lore master) My brother (who is a captain at my rank, by the way) called me insane :/