We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: helms deep

helms deep

will there be helms deep or will that come with Gondor

Helm's Deep is not part of RoR.

--W. H. Heydt

Old

I think it is quite reasonable to assume that Helm's Deep is going to be in the already heavily hinted at 2013 expansion of LOTRO, which will probably cover east Rohan.

Gondor then 2014 or so.
    *** Nothing ***

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhim View Post
    I think it is quite reasonable to assume that Helm's Deep is going to be in the already heavily hinted at 2013 expansion of LOTRO, which will probably cover east Rohan.

Gondor then 2014 or so.
    West Rohan in the next expansion probably, we get East Rohan in RoR.

Although, looking at the map, it could be: early 2013 Update 9: West Rohan, late 2013: Gondor. The part of Calenardhon west of the Entwash is much smaller, roughly the size of the Great River.

Quote Originally Posted by Feladirthalion View Post
    Although, looking at the map, it could be: early 2013 Update 9: West Rohan, late 2013: Gondor. The part of Calenardhon west of the Entwash is much smaller, roughly the size of the Great River.
    I guess it's possible West Rohan is part of a free update. Give us some quest hub towns including Edoras and make Helm's Deep a raid. Not sure how that would work as I see it being better suited for a skirmish. Honestly though, I think the big name locations are going to be part of paid expansions so expect LOTRO: Fall of Isengard in September 2013. (Assuming the world doesn't end on Dec 21st 2012 )
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Here's how I see the timeline for the next year or so. We'll be getting eastern Rohan with the expansion, and getting a couple months to level up. Around the holidays, Turbine will release the instance cluster for us to farm for a few months. Come spring, they'll release another free content area, similar to the Great River. If I had to guess, this new area might be Edoras and the surrounding lands, with quests involving the expulsion of Grima Wormtongue and the evacuation of Edoras as the people begin to pack up for the Hornburg. In next year's rumored expansion, our characters will be tasked with scouting the situation in West Rohan, searching for allies, perhaps teaming up with Erkenbrand, and then culminating with the Battle of Helm's Deep.

After that? Well... I'm in no rush to get to Gondor. Granted, by the estimates in my post, we're at /least/ two years away. Since we've already moved east to west across Rohan, perhaps we'll continue west, loop around the White Mountains and get to explore southern Gondor and the Bay of Belfalas. Of course, Turbine could take the other route and go north from Rohan to explore northern Mirkwood, the Lonely Mountain, and Dale. Since the Hobbit films will have ended a year prior, I don't see this as too far of a stretch, but it does of course take our efforts further away from the path of the fellowship.

Ultimately, our final destination will be Minas Tirith, but I don't see us getting there for at least another 3-4 years. By the time any good action starts there, the epic storyline will already be in it's third act (read: book). I guess I'm in no big hurry to reach it, because that means the story of the game will be winding down to a close. I don't doubt Turbine's magic in storytelling, but I figure that once we march on the Black Gates, there's only so a few more places left for us to go.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

Back in 2007 we were speculating about a R0R expansion in 2008! Look at all the places weve been instead.

If we (probably) have a paid expansion next year id guess it would be West Rohan, Edoras to Helms Deep.

After that, I get the feeling we will be heading south with the Grey Company again into the fiefs of Gondor to deal with the Corsairs.

After that, who can say. Maybe a quick detour into Harad...
    Hunter & alts on Snowborne since 2007, now on Evernight.

Quote Originally Posted by jayspeed View Post
    I guess it's possible West Rohan is part of a free update. Give us some quest hub towns including Edoras and make Helm's Deep a raid. Not sure how that would work as I see it being better suited for a skirmish. Honestly though, I think the big name locations are going to be part of paid expansions so expect LOTRO: Fall of Isengard in September 2013. (Assuming the world doesn't end on Dec 21st 2012 )
    There have been a lot of discussions around just how Turbine could handle Helm's Deep. The problem with instance, raid, or skirmish is how the battle is described in LoTR...in particular, the details of who was there: One Dwarf, one Elf, NO Hobbits, and all Men were Rohirrim. The only available way Turbine has to fit within those parameters is: Session play. Unfortunately, Helm's Deep as session play would really annoy some people.

In the end, Turbine may just turn Helm's Deep into a video clip (or a series of video clips) and only let us go there *after* the battle to be part of the "clean up detail." Not very satisfying for some people, but it may be the only way to dealing with conflicting desires on the part of various segments of the player base.

If people search around, there have been bunches of threads discussing the issues involved.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    There have been a lot of discussions around just how Turbine could handle Helm's Deep. The problem with instance, raid, or skirmish is how the battle is described in LoTR...in particular, the details of who was there: One Dwarf, one Elf, NO Hobbits, and all Men were Rohirrim.
    All but one. Aragorn was there.

The only available way Turbine has to fit within those parameters is: Session play. Unfortunately, Helm's Deep as session play would really annoy some people.
    Not as many as would be annoyed if all our favorite characters, male and female, were allowed in to participate.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

There have been a lot of discussions around just how Turbine could handle Helm's Deep. The problem with instance, raid, or skirmish is how the battle is described in LoTR...in particular, the details of who was there: One Dwarf, one Elf, NO Hobbits, and all Men were Rohirrim. The only available way Turbine has to fit within those parameters is: Session play. Unfortunately, Helm's Deep as session play would really annoy some people.

In the end, Turbine may just turn Helm's Deep into a video clip (or a series of video clips) and only let us go there *after* the battle to be part of the "clean up detail." Not very satisfying for some people, but it may be the only way to dealing with conflicting desires on the part of various segments of the player base.

If people search around, there have been bunches of threads discussing the issues involved.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer
    This is one occasion that I wouldn't mind if Turbine bent the lore a bit for the sake of gameplay. The world won't end if our player characters participate in the Helm's Deep battle. So far Turbine hasn't followed lore to the letter. I'm all for it as long as it's done for gameplay purposes and not something ridiculous like selling eagle mounts in the LOTRO store.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jayspeed View Post
    This is one occasion that I wouldn't mind if Turbine bent the lore a bit for the sake of gameplay. The world won't end if our player characters participate in the Helm's Deep battle. So far Turbine hasn't followed lore to the letter. I'm all for it as long as it's done for gameplay purposes and not something ridiculous like selling eagle mounts in the LOTRO store.
    Some time ago I floated the idea that being kindred with an appropriate faction would make our characters "honorary Rohir" and, thus, properly present at Helm's Deep. It was not received well.

So...feel free to try to find a way to bend the Lore in such a way as to permit the general run of player characters to be at the battle without collecting a large supply of brickbats aimed at your head. Good luck...

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

We are probably allowed to help with Helm's Deep without being inside the fortress. Ie, Gandalf returns with Rohirrim to break the siege, and I'm sure all of us will be allowed to help out with that. Plenty of orcs to kill during the battle itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    We are probably allowed to help with Helm's Deep without being inside the fortress. Ie, Gandalf returns with Rohirrim to break the siege, and I'm sure all of us will be allowed to help out with that. Plenty of orcs to kill during the battle itself.
    Something off-the-wall just occurred to me.

Remember those four guys in the trailer? The ones with the strange accents that apparently were the results of American actors trying to speak British, and coming out sounding like New Zealanders?

What if *they* are the four Rohirrim whom we'll portray in session-play at Helm's Deep? We've been given quite a bit of backstory about them........
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Dovakhim View Post

Gondor then 2014 or so.
    What will they call that? More riders of rohan : the missing parts? Or Rohan : Complete edition.

I'm not normally a grump on turbine, but Rohan without helms deep ... that's like gondor without pellanor fields. It's just wrong.

Some time ago I floated the idea that being kindred with an appropriate faction would make our characters "honorary Rohir" and, thus, properly present at Helm's Deep. It was not received well.

So...feel free to try to find a way to bend the Lore in such a way as to permit the general run of player characters to be at the battle without collecting a large supply of brickbats aimed at your head. Good luck...

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer
    Can't we just arrive with the elves? *troll face*
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000e4a6e/01007/signature.png]Aegalir[/charsig]
    "Can't we all just get along?"
    [/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Tannus View Post
    What will they call that? More riders of rohan : the missing parts? Or Rohan : Complete edition.

I'm not normally a grump on turbine, but Rohan without helms deep ... that's like gondor without pellanor fields. It's just wrong.

We've lived w/o Helms Deep for 5 years didnt'we? It's not so wrong to wait for the next expansion for it. Theres a lot of lore inside East Rohan, if done well, like Moria.

Think the main problem Turbine has is dealing with the gameplay issues, the real lore and the LotR movies fanboys who expect everything in game to be like in the movies, including the part from P. Jackson fertile imagination.

Middle-Earth is far more than only Helms Deep et Pelenor fields.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0421500000004a797/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Leonide View Post
    We've lived w/o Helms Deep for 5 years didnt'we? It's not so wrong to wait for the next expansion for it. Theres a lot of lore inside East Rohan, if done well, like Moria.

Think the main problem Turbine has is dealing with the gameplay issues, the real lore and the LotR movies fanboys who expect everything in game to be like in the movies, including the part from P. Jackson fertile imagination.

Middle-Earth is far more than only Helms Deep et Pelenor fields.
    It's true that rohan is a big bugger to deal wtih. You've got a bunch of storylines going on at the same time in the two towers. Obviously we'll be starting with the breaking of the fellowship. Then Frodo and Sam, which I assume we're pretty much leaving alone right now, merry and pippin, which is obviously getting some coverage this expansion and aragorn, legolas and gimly which will also be getting some attention. The question is how much and where.

I guess as long as the 'fangorn' storyline is dealt with in this expansion i'm happy. Damn but I'll be enjoying looking over the rubble of Isengard...

That leaves Helms deep and the muster of the rohirrim and maybe the paths of the dead? for the next expansion.
    Omg, so awesome.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000e4a6e/01007/signature.png]Aegalir[/charsig]
    [/center]

It's true that rohan is a big bugger to deal wtih. You've got a bunch of storylines going on at the same time in the two towers.
    Exaclty.
    People need to realize that theres more than half a book from LOTR (out of 6) inside RoR landscape. The last 2 chapters from the 2nd book + 5 chapters from the 3r book.

Thres PLENTY of content there. Not like RoI.

In fact, we are starting to get at the point where the story is very concentrated, way more than in Eriador, from the books perspective.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0421500000004a797/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

You mean the Elvish Drill Team send in by Jackson? Gawd, I hope not... At least half the dedicated fans of the books would drop dead of apoplexy if Turbine pulled anything *that* boneheaded.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

A lot of the women and children were hidden in the glittering caves during helms deep siege.
    One workaround could be to have our characters get a mission to find and clear the exit/ bolt hole to the glittering caves and come into helms deep that way.
    They could also ride down to helms deep with Gandalf and his relief force.

They could also just participate in the siege if we are to interpret what a dev said before about it and us being not on the radar of the main characters. That would be a prickly issue for quite a number of people though.

You mean the Elvish Drill Team send in by Jackson? Gawd, I hope not... At least half the dedicated fans of the books would drop dead of apoplexy if Turbine pulled anything *that* boneheaded.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer
    What we need is a company of elven archers from lothlorien and some dwarven heavy infantry sent from the iron hills!
    Then we don't need helms deep at all. We can fight Isengard head on, rhohirrim cavalry, evlen archers and dwarven foot we can't fail! Especially with Aragorn and Gandalf riding int he van. My god, if only peter jackson had my brilliant ideas...
    [/center]

RoR II.
    What ever it is, it will be "Something OF Something". We have known for a while that we wouldn't see Helms Deep with the current RoR. I'm hoping for seeing it in a free update sometime in 2013, but with our luck, it will be with RoR II. That said, if things go as planned, we will see at least one content update next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    Yes, it's the only possibility for us to participate. But i also hope for nice sessions in besieged keep.
    Obviously it will be smth like Battle\Siege of Helm Deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feladirthalion View Post
    Hmm, it's not so small. West Emnet is at least Bree-lands size. And also Rohan has other parts: Westfold, Eastfold, West-march, even Fangorn itself. In a sum it's surely expansion size. So i think we'll see West Emnet as a part of next expansion. May be one of these regions will be as VIP-free update between RoR and 2013 expansion (my bet is Fangorn).
    Last edited by Wanderv; Jun 25 2012 at 03:21 AM.

Isn't Helm's Deep part of Rohan though?
    Riding from Dunland, we should just pass it, unless I am blind:
    [color=#33FFFF]Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up.[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Leonide View Post
    We've lived w/o Helms Deep for 5 years didnt'we? It's not so wrong to wait for the next expansion for it.
    This could easily be between expansions too.

But no matter what's in it, some players will complain. When Mirkwood was announced came out some players were mad that it wasn't Rohan (some even claiming that they heard a rumor it was Rohan and that Turbine was reneging, I kid you not). Enedwaith comes out and players complain it wasn't Rohan. Isengard comes out and players complain it wasn't Rohan.

I bet that when we do get Helm's Deep that some players will complaint that it isn't Minas Tirith.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast