We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Suggestion—Class combo with a Lore-master

I'm looking for suggestions on which class to duo with a Lore-master.. what class compliments the Lore-master class the best?

Re: Suggestion—Class combo with a Lore-master

Well, Lore Masters are a bit of a chameleon in terms of what they can do, depending on their build, so in a way it is tempting to say that any other class will run well with an LM .

From personal experience, I have run as a Hunter with an LM with great success - very much good fun. As an LM I have had a Burg run with me and that too was good for both classes - I got to join in the fights with my initial debuffs and buffs whilst the Burg got to sneak into position without the mob being any the wiser :lol:.

Quote Originally Posted by Metolius View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions on which class to duo with a Lore-master.. what class compliments the Lore-master class the best?

Personally, I think they all have their benefits. Have your partner play what they like best, and you'll find the right way to complement each other. And hopefully work together so well that you compliment each other!

Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

For long-term duoing, it's nice for each class to complement the other. A loremaster has limited self-healing and due to light armour and long inductions, is quite weak in melee combat (a bear pet is helpful here, but limits damage output).

I have found that a captain makes a great companion for a loremaster. Each can heal the other far more often and efficiently than themselves. The captain can handle tanking, allowing the loremaster to avoid melee action and summon a higher damage pet than the bear. The loremaster can control the periphery of a large battle, mitigating the captain's relative ineffectiveness at holding aggro on more than two mobs. Captain buffs and loremaster debuffs work very nicely in tandem and make both classes more powerful. As two support classes, you'll have an endless variety of approaches to the more challenging battles. Lastly, as both classes level somewhat slowly until they near level 40 and begin to gain some of their more impressive skills, neither of you should ever feel inadequate because the other is comparatively stronger.

But -- as noted by previous posters -- any two classes can find a way to level together. The most important consideration is to select a class that appeals to one's play-style!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000001854b/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#FFFFE0]Known alts on Meneldor:[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=verdana]
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/304336/145241087982798155/"]Palandramir[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#ADD8E6][FONT=verdana]: 75 Hunter ~[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=verdana] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/304336/145241087982929667/"]Talagant[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#ADD8E6][FONT=verdana]: 75 Minstrel ~ [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/169749/145241087982745229/"][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=verdana]Chiton[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ADD8E6][FONT=verdana]: 75 Guardian[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#add8e6]
    [/COLOR][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/304336/145241087982729798/"][COLOR=#daa520]Filbert[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ADD8E6]: 75 Minstrel[/COLOR] [COLOR=#add8e6]~[/COLOR][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=verdana] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/304336/145241087982808928/"] Dakkri[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#ADD8E6][FONT=verdana]: 71 Guardian ~ [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/304336/145241087983296677/"][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=verdana]Stammel[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ADD8E6][FONT=verdana]: 75 Captain
    [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/959916/145241087983521225/"][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=verdana]Elaichi[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ADD8E6][FONT=verdana]: 65 Loremaster ~ [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/959916/145241087983541171/"][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=verdana]Tribble[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ADD8E6][FONT=verdana]: 66 Warden ~ [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/959916/145241087983630184/"][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=verdana]Caper[/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ADD8E6][FONT=verdana]: 64 Burglar [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#d3d3d3][SIZE=1]Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel Core i7-950 | 12 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz | Gigabyte GTX 670 |[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1] OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB (OS) | 3 x OCZ Vertex 2 40GB (LotRO) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty[/SIZE][/COLOR]

The Lore-master is one of those force multiplier classes, so as others have said I don't think there's a bad combination as long as you are the Lore-master are flexible in your tactics and choice of pets.

I've had lots of fun with a Captain, another force multiplier class, especially in skirmishes with the little army of soldiers, pets, and characters that entails. My only complaint is it can be slow going on high-morale targets since neither class is a top-tier damage-dealer.

I enjoy running with a Champion as a Rune-keeper, and I think that mix of high DPS and tankishness would work well with a Lore-master. There would have to be careful coordination about crowd control and mezzes since the drawback here is the Champion's AOE can be at odds with Lore-master tactics.

I've fellowed with other Lore-masters a few times and found that works really well--less because of the classes meshing and more because there are fewer issues with your partner not understanding how a Lore-master works. The amount of mezzes and crowd control that a pair of Lore-masters can throw down is pretty amazing.
    Last edited by banhorn; Jun 19 2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Toad View Post
    ... The captain can handle tanking, allowing the loremaster to avoid melee action and summon a higher damage pet than the bear. The loremaster can control the periphery of a large battle, mitigating the captain's relative ineffectiveness at holding aggro on more than two mobs. Captain buffs and loremaster debuffs work very nicely in tandem and make both classes more powerful. As two support classes, you'll have an endless variety of approaches to the more challenging battles. Lastly, as both classes level somewhat slowly until they near level 40 and begin to gain some of their more impressive skills, neither of you should ever feel inadequate because the other is comparatively stronger. ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lore masters main 'drawback' is inductions (least for me) so you want a class who can handle keeping what ISN'T CC'ed focused on them so captain or warden would work best I've found (not champ since they aren't CC friendly usually, and guardian though it works is a bit slow for some).

But I'd have to go with the best being the captain. On the landscape there are 3 'beings' able to keep things off YOU so you can do what you have to without inductions being messed up. And the captain can help you do what you want better with buffs to both you AND your pet to ensure the pet doesn't go and get itself killed. Pluss their fellowship wide heals and shield brother can help further ensure the safty of lore master and pet. And most importantly for me I've found captains seem to not charge in as head strong as other classes since like a lore master they have a bit of set up they have to do for harder battles. so you have less to worry about the battle starting before you rebuffed your pet or de-buffed the mob.

As a side comment I have to admit its also fun in 2 man skirms seeing a full fellowship of 6 'people' buffed to the teeth running around killing everything.
    Last edited by Reneko; Jun 19 2012 at 09:32 PM.

duo for what ???
    Best class ?
    If you wanna level up after level 50 the best way for sure is a tank cause they pull all enemy and LM can start spam aoe ...

but ...

need to know what you wanna do with a duo! You can't do any istance and on pvp i think no one is good for duo on LM ... better way can be 3 man capitan and another ranged like RK or hunter for have a lot of damage buff heal and debuff.

What others said, most classes will work well, and I'd pick what you both like to play as main thought behind your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by banhorn View Post
    I enjoy running with a Champion as a Rune-keeper, and I think that mix of high DPS and tankishness would work well with a Lore-master. There would have to be careful coordination about crowd control and mezzes since the drawback here is the Champion's AOE can be at odds with Lore-master tactics.
    I can back this up, since I've played (as lore-master) duo with my boyfriend (champion) a lot, and we've duo'd the most crazy things. A champ and a lore-master are a mini-army, as the champ can both tank and deal great damage, and the lore-master can heal, debuff and crowd-control. They basically got all roles/player tactics in the game covered in two classes!

I must add that we play very well together and know our own and each other's classes (I have a champion and he played a lore-master), and that helps. A champion who knows the range of his Shing-Shing is required to avoid fights when doing hard stuff. You don't want your average enthusiastic AoE chimp around.

Also for easy stuff/just leveling the combination should work great, but other class combo's would also work well, as already said earlier in this thread.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#33ffcc]Ravanel (lore-master) | Ravalinde (rune-keeper) | Ravenwyn (captain)
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#40e0d0]~ Gilrain ~[/COLOR][COLOR=#33ffcc][/COLOR]
    [URL="http://ravalation.blogspot.com"]ravalation.blogspot.com[/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Duo...

In the moors, a captain, period. Well, maybe a guard. If you want lots of shock-and-awe, duo with an RK, stuff dies REAL FAST.

In PvE, duoing is silly, I can manage piles of landscape mobs as fast as most duo's, so solo all the way.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r10 (active) Mini

Champion.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001bdd4e/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Great suggestions.

One that i have found a little annoying lately.... SI. Not when in the moors or sunning solo but in PvE raiding. Please wait 1 minute as I put SI on 12 members....

Disabling this ability in the Moors would be difficult but having the ability would be nice.. MAybe and OOC SI effects Raid, In-Combat only effects target. Moors Single Target only.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000005ec4/01007/signature.png]Zarthadon[/charsig]

poor lm.

you really shouldn't need to SI your whole raid... I can think of a few places where missing disease potions will cause raid-wide stuns... But SI'ing the tanks and healers should be enough.

anyway anything will work with an lm. They're awesome. Best combo is probably champ or captain. A captain and a lore-master are basically a 3-man group by themselves.
    105 (Captain, Champion)

Dark Toad made a great point with the healing. Captain and Lore Master self heals are either on long cooldowns or situational. Words of Courage and Beacon of Hope are good healing skills that can be tossed out whenever needed, but only work on allies. Aside from healing, Captains give you a decent tank, plenty of buffs, and the possibility of an extra pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedman View Post
    Dark Toad made a great point with the healing. Captain and Lore Master self heals are either on long cooldowns or situational. Words of Courage and Beacon of Hope are good healing skills that can be tossed out whenever needed, but only work on allies. Aside from healing, Captains give you a decent tank, plenty of buffs, and the possibility of an extra pet.
    All things being equal, yes. If your captain has the 5 piece bonus to the perseverance set he is likely sporting a 6 second rallying cry, and that, my friend, is healthy healing.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r10 (active) Mini