We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Ringlore In Rp

Ringlore In Rp

Hi, I'm Cysan, I posted on a few of your threads. I'm looking for information about Ringlore in Roleplay, and the Do's and Don'ts of it. Me and a few friends are joining in a matter of days, each in our own accord, and we'd like to get the full scoop of Do's and Don'ts.
    For instance, this being the foremost topic i want answers from: Can an Elf, in hiding who has knowledge of Ringlore, knowing how to forge Rings of Power, though not as great as the 3, rather being minor rings that enhance people with Long Life, Strength and speed, skill in magic and so for And is Hunted by Sauron and his minions be allowed in roleplay of Landroval?

Compared to reading the title and posting and Reading the information and posting, your answers should be somewhat different. I will Automatically Exclude those who read the title and posted from my list. So start reading. =)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Though the Darkness is great, I am the Torch. Follow me and i will Lead you from the Darkness"

Re: Ringlore In Rp

Quote Originally Posted by cysan View Post
    Hi, I'm Cysan, I posted on a few of your threads. I'm looking for information about Ringlore in Roleplay, and the Do's and Don'ts of it. Me and a few friends are joining in a matter of days, each in our own accord, and we'd like to get the full scoop of Do's and Don'ts.
    For instance, this being the foremost topic i want answers from: Can an Elf, in hiding who has knowledge of Ringlore, knowing how to forge Rings of Power, though not as great as the 3, rather being minor rings that enhance people with Long Life, Strength and speed, skill in magic and so for And is Hunted by Sauron and his minions be allowed in roleplay of Landroval?
    There's one big "Don't": claiming a character has that sort of secret knowledge is a no-no in RP, especially when it's something that'd seriously mess with the core plot. The problem is that from the narrative it's quite plain that the Elves either didn't or couldn't make more Rings of Power: either they'd lost some crucial knowledge when Eregion was destroyed and Celebrimbor was slain, or that they'd set such lore aside once they found out it had been Sauron who'd shared it with them.

The Rings were also much more subtle than you're allowing for - you can forget about them granting strength and speed, and they couldn't provide skill in magic either (just more power than an individual would normally possess). I also can't imagine that any Elf would hand out Rings to mortals because that longer life you mention came at a terrible price.

I agree with Radhruin, there are certain things you just cannot do concerning RP. Most RP needs to happen between you and other players - if your backstory ventures into certain areas it becomes preposterous or even downright pretentious. For instance, a friend and I were creating backstories for our new characters and one of them was an exile from Minas Tirith. We had to tweak the story several times before it didn't infringe on anything too central to the main threads of the core story. It is one thing to be the daughter of a minor unknown noble from Pelargir, it is another entirely to claim to be someone from the house of Denethor.

Since no rings have been made since the original forgings, it is best to assume the knowledge is completely lost.

You must also realize that it would not really be feasible to RP wearing any of these rings. You cannot be faster or stronger or better than any of the other players - even at end game there will always be other players with the same or better stats than you, so it is impossible to justify your claim to speed or strength or skill.

Usually in RP, the safest and least outlandish of routes is the best.

Question Re: Ringlore In Rp

While I don't disagree with the two posts above, allow me to play devil's advocate for the moment. Quite frankly, you can RP whatever you want, and nobody really has the right to say otherwise. When it comes to RP, I find it very disconcerting when others wish to limit a person's creativity by broadly declaring "that's not possible." However, it becomes another matter entirely when you attempt to force or otherwise persuaded others to /accept/ your story or RP plot. Let me to provide two examples.

In one of the places that I RP, there are a group of people who seem to delve into RP that has absolutely nothing to do with the lore. Their characters seem to be demons or vampires with limitless powers, capable of creating dimensional portals with their magic, able to instantly heal from mortal wounds, different things like that. Now, while I have no right to tell them that they can't RP that, I most certainly can avoid and ignore them, and not accept their RP as my own. In fact, many people just put them onto their ignore list to begin with, so that they don't have to worry about it. However, this doesn't bother them, and they're quite content with RPing with each other, even if nobody else accepts their RP as canon. I figure, as long as they're happy, who am I to tell them otherwise?

Now for my second example. About four years ago, someone came up with a plot idea similar to your own. They proposed the idea that there were not just the Rings of Power, but in fact many different magical items throughout Middle Earth. Some of these even gave their possessors special powers, such as the ability to talk to animals, see visions, or move with soft footsteps. They also introduced the idea of an ancient, secret order out of Gondor, which was responsible for recovering items such as these. All-in-all, the plot was generally well received, with many of the server's most notable Roleplayers and Kinships taking part, and I would like to think that a lot of people had fun with the plot.

So why the difference in reception between these two examples? In my opinion, it is because the latter of the two plots was willing to work with others to make it lore appropriate. Its organizers went so far as to pick out lines of text and dialogue from the novels that supported their idea of other magical items, and they presented these ideas in a mature, reasonable way. Even though the story was a stretch of the lore, they did their best to make it "fit" within the world of Middle Earth that Tolkien presented. They were not imposing on the lore, but expanding upon it, and I think that is what makes the biggest difference to me.

For me, I have a heck of a lot easier time accepting someone's RP if it at least "fits" within the Middle Earth that we know today. If you take the time to research the lore, and put some effort in to make your story believable, then I am much more likely to take part of it, instead of just casting you off into the "ignore" bin that I place the vampires and Sauron offspring into. I have even taken certain liberties with the lore myself, in order to make my character and plots a little more interesting. I think if it's done reasonably, with good lore, and in moderation, then you will find people more than willing to accept your RP plots.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Krindus View Post
    In one of the places that I RP, there are a group of people who seem to delve into RP that has absolutely nothing to do with the lore. Their characters seem to be demons or vampires with limitless powers, capable of creating dimensional portals with their magic, able to instantly heal from mortal wounds, different things like that. Now, while I have no right to tell them that they can't RP that
    You might not want to, but you do in fact have every right to if they stray that far from LOTRO. This isn't free-form RP where anything goes. In practice, it's easier to put them on ignore but no, nobody has any actual right to RP outright nonsense out in the open on the RP servers. (Read the RP policy).

Now for my second example. About four years ago, someone came up with a plot idea similar to your own. They proposed the idea that there were not just the Rings of Power, but in fact many different magical items throughout Middle Earth. Some of these even gave their possessors special powers, such as the ability to talk to animals, see visions, or move with soft footsteps. They also introduced the idea of an ancient, secret order out of Gondor, which was responsible for recovering items such as these. All-in-all, the plot was generally well received, with many of the server's most notable Roleplayers and Kinships taking part, and I would like to think that a lot of people had fun with the plot.
    Sounds like someone had been watching Warehouse 13... yes, harmless enough as long as the 'artifacts' aren't really all that powerful, and hence don't bring about open conflict.

Thank you, This has given me more insight on the Can's and Cannot's of Lotro Roleplay. I look forward to joining you soon.