We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Importing/exporting alias commands?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic -- if it isn't, let me know and feel free to move!

I use a lot of aliases in Lotro. The problem is, I am currently using all seven of my character slots, and the aliases I write aren't shared among the seven toons. And honestly, I don't think they should be -- especially if someone is into RP, it makes sense that if someone is creating emote aliases, for example, that people might want the text to be different on different toons.

However, retyping all those aliases for every single toon is a huge pain. Is there any way I can export my aliases on one toon and import them on another? It would be awesome if I could save them all to a flat file that could be edited as needed and then reload them, but if there is any similar feature, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataria View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic -- if it isn't, let me know and feel free to move!

I use a lot of aliases in Lotro. The problem is, I am currently using all seven of my character slots, and the aliases I write aren't shared among the seven toons. And honestly, I don't think they should be -- especially if someone is into RP, it makes sense that if someone is creating emote aliases, for example, that people might want the text to be different on different toons.

However, retyping all those aliases for every single toon is a huge pain. Is there any way I can export my aliases on one toon and import them on another? It would be awesome if I could save them all to a flat file that could be edited as needed and then reload them, but if there is any similar feature, I'd love to know about it.
    The answer is no and yes -- but carefully. You cannot save only the aliases, but you can save them along with "everything else." (This is the basis for using the various "skins" available to change the appearance of your UI.)

Basically, you can save the content of your UI. That file contains all of the screen placement information for your different UI items as well as a list of your aliases. This file is a plain text XML file. You can edit it and then re-import it to the same or a different character. And since you can save a different UI file for each character, you can copy and past the aliases from one to another. (Note that it saves aliases only, not shortcuts.)

1- You need to do the save on each toon independently.
    2- Then edit the files
    3- The load each toon independently.

The command to save the UI is: /ui layout save <toon>

The command to reload it is: /ui layout load <toon>

In-game help "/help UI" displays ui -- usage /ui [layout [<save|load> [<filename>]]]

The resulting file winds up in a folder "UI" in the same location as all your screenshots, the Lua "Plugins" folder and your "Music" folder. ("/My Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online")

Each alias is a single line of the form:
    <Alias String=";myloc" Value="/tell valamar ;loc"/>
    The text of your alias goes between the two quotes (")

Trick: If all your toons are the same class, and you want their screen layouts to be identical, you can load ANY saved layout file to ANY toon.

Note that this "load" is "sticky" -- that is, once uploaded to LOTRO, it will be there even if you logout and back in again. I believe it takes effect as soon as it is "loaded," but I haven't used it for a bit and do not remember.

Another somewhat more tedious way to do the job...

/aliases list
    "capture chat"
    Edit out the &&&& you don't want/need and save your aliases as a text file.
    Then copy and paste each line back into the chat window as needed.

Happy emoting.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Importing aliases only.

I've done a bit of experimenting....

It seems that you can create a file which contains only the alias portion of the layout and import it to any toon.

So if you first export a toon's layout, then copy only the alias portion, to another file and include the </UI> at the end.
    Then import that it will only overwrite the aliases portion of any toon's layout.

Example:
    a file saved as: ..../UI/Layouts/Aliases.layout
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
    <UI>

<Version Value="1.0"/>

<Aliases>
        <Alias String=";hi" Value="shakes his fist at ;target and yells 'Get Off My Lawn!'"/>
        <Alias String=";myloc" Value="/tell valalin ;loc"/>
        <Alias String=";otg" Value=";tant ;hi"/>
        <Alias String=";release" Value="/pet release"/>
        <Alias String=";tant" Value="/tantrum"/>
      </Aliases>
    </UI>
    Can be imported by any toon using: /ui layout load Aliases.layout

When successfully completed, this load command will display a list of your aliases added. Similar to the "/alias list" command.
    Last edited by Valamar; Jul 13 2012 at 01:23 AM.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

This is perfect, thank you very much! I didn't realize the layout files were just XML, nor that the aliases were stored in them. Thanks again!