We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Captain Tanking

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Been working on gathering tank gear (and the Hytbold Leader set), and I project we're going to end up in the 16k - 18k morale range, with a few of us maybe breaking 20k. Since we're a really squishy tank comparatively, that morale seems low.

How well would a threat transfer from Inspire work with Captain tanking?
    Yes, in shield bro version, would be nice.
    There is so many things to which they can add +aggo acticated by yellow cap. There has been many good suggestions lately.

I had over 20k morale once. Buffed.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000775b8/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Unbuffed including banner not down, I'm right above 16k. That's with 2 pieces of 75 jewelry. 68.2 Tact mit

Buffed with non traited Hope banner, 19.5k. So above 20k after food and TP/DP morale buff. BPE 36%. Scrolled up I cap tact mit, meaning I can and probably should swap out my 2 loyalty pieces if i can count on either a heal RK or mini buffing my tact mit.

For a realistic future build I think I'm gonna drop 2 loyalty like I said cause my tact mit is overcap when raid buffed. Go 5Leader + Helm of Lost Hoardes. Pick up 2 gold capt earrings, which I feel is realistic with my own rolls and my instancing appetite, and 2 teal instance bracelets since I'll funnel tanking crafted golds to my Warden. Not counting Def Strike or SS buffs, morale levels stay around the same, tact mit drops to 69% before RK/mini tact mit buffs, BPE goes up to 40% total. I'm excited for tanking non-DPS targets or DPS targets where we can take our time, i.e. *****foot around!

EDIT: Right this minute my build is on Captain2 & Calculations2 tabs of my google docs spreadsheet.

DOuble EDIT: Urg I forgot to turn off IDOME for quoting my unbuffed stats.
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Dec 11 2012 at 07:29 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Disappointing to hear that our relative aggro generation is down compared with RoI. Although I'll point out that the 10% perceived threat from Aggressive Stance on Grave Wound is pretty significant. I'm not surprised that you had aggro problems without it. ... That said, I totally understand wanting to save it for the forced attack. It's kind of an awkward arrangement, really.

They probably won't bother changing the skill bonus on our new earrings, but I really, really, really wish that we could get something tanking-related instead of creating yet another stupid item that benefits macro users more than everyone else. Especially since there's no in-game macro functionality, so it's unfairly privileging Captains who have macro-capable keyboards.

Seriously, I know they read the Captain forum because a lot of our suggestions ultimately get implemented in the game. I just wish they'd pick up on the fact that everybody hates gear swaps as a game mechanic. It's pointless busy-work at best, and not even the people who do write keyboard macros for it think it's actually fun way to play the game, as far as I know.

Edit: Oh, and I'll repeat my assertion that the crit defence changes are good for us. By taking a small chunk of damage off each crit, we're actually preventing more damage over the course of a fight than when we just had a (ridiculously small) chance of avoiding one crit entirely. The old version of crit defence was basically useless until you stacked amounts of it that we've never realistically been able to stack because it appears almost nowhere in the game other than on shields.
    Last edited by furtim; Dec 11 2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

BTW yall Evade from SS Leader set is 1717, which is pretty significant. Guess I'm saying bye bye to 2 Loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    Disappointing to hear that our relative aggro generation is down compared with RoI. Although I'll point out that the 10% perceived threat from Aggressive Stance on Grave Wound is pretty significant. I'm not surprised that you had aggro problems without it. ... That said, I totally understand wanting to save it for the forced attack. It's kind of an awkward arrangement, really.

They probably won't bother changing the skill bonus on our new earrings, but I really, really, really wish that we could get something tanking-related instead of creating yet another stupid item that benefits macro users more than everyone else. Especially since there's no in-game macro functionality, so it's unfairly privileging Captains who have macro-capable keyboards.

Seriously, I know they read the Captain forum because a lot of our suggestions ultimately get implemented in the game. I just wish they'd pick up on the fact that everybody hates gear swaps as a game mechanic. It's pointless busy-work at best, and not even the people who do write keyboard macros for it think it's actually fun way to play the game, as far as I know.

Edit: Oh, and I'll repeat my assertion that the crit defence changes are good for us. By taking a small chunk of damage off each crit, we're actually preventing more damage over the course of a fight than when we just had a (ridiculously small) chance of avoiding one crit entirely. The old version of crit defence was basically useless until you stacked amounts of it that we've never realistically been able to stack because it appears almost nowhere in the game other than on shields.
    Yeah sometimes 10% is the difference between tank and top DPS, fair point. I don't reckon the little toggle multiplier would have changed it that time though considering the time I had tanking the gaunt lord.

We're forming up for Helegrod again tonight and the tanks besides raid leader Warden are either not coming or having problems. Hopefully I'll get some more experiences to contribute cause it'll either be me on tank-Arg or my warden, or the tank-champ I mentioned or his Guard (who might not have Hele unlocked).

On the subject of swapping the Exemplary earring. I would say that's an good argument against swappable stuff for might captains. But not so much for tanking captain. Right now the Exemplary Captain's Earring has ~7.5 stat doses and the To Arms bonus vs 7 stat doses a teal would have. Albeit, one of those is power so 6.5 "good" stats, but there's really no incentive to swap out the Exemplary earring if you're tanking. So,
    1. So like I said it's pretty damn good already stat-wise.
    2. If you swap something like Defiant or Peak with Exemplary, you'd lose health when you swap and have empty bar when you swapped back.
    3. To Arms directly benefits a tanking captain using Shield Bro. To Arms indirectly benefits a tanking captain using Song Bro.
    4. Apparently the plugin Auto Hotkey (I think) means you don't have to have the hardware for swap macros.
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Dec 11 2012 at 07:57 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

My argument is against swapping in general. I agree that Captain tanks will almost certainly just leave the Exemplar earring in for the morale.

But my point is that they gave it a skill bonus that non-tanking Captains will be all but forced to swap it for.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    4. Apparently the plugin Auto Hotkey (I think) means you don't have to have the hardware for swap macros.
    Problem with using the macros comes from having a different relic loadout for tanking than for healing.

While it's easy to swap TO the swap emblem, how do you know what to swap back to?
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but it occurred to me that routing cry damage, which seemed like such a worthless legacy damage-wise, might be pretty useful on a tanking weapon for holding aoe aggro after the force taunt has worn off. Not enough to pull off an aoe-ing champ I'm sure, but maybe combined with pressing attack targets it would be enough to keep adds off a mini or a hunter who isn't spamming rain of arrows.

So this happened last night in T2 BG

I have not surveyed other pre-udpate 9 shield options but certainly some great stats there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000b1e1a/signature.png]Kangas[/charsig]
    [URL="http://helmsdeep.guildportal.com"]Helm's Deep[/URL] Kangas-Captain Kangdoom-Champ Furtive-Burg Wildlife-Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Thermight View Post
    So this happened last night in T2 BG

I have not surveyed other pre-udpate 9 shield options but certainly some great stats there.
    +4 to WoC pulses means it adds 4 seconds to the duration of the HoT effect, correct? Or does it actually make the pulses more frequent.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

I've had excellent survivability in BG farming runs as the third tank. Since I only need to maintain single target aggro (I'm not tanking the Gauntlet), I kept my crit cry 5R/2B build, but switch all my jewelry and add 3 Hytbold Leader armor pieces and Eomer's Protective Cloak for the boss fight. I use my DPS 2 hander to maximize damage/aggro until I get aggro, then switch to sword and board for the extra BPE, armor, and crit defense. I stay in blade brother, since Shield Brother wouldn't give me much benefit (not traited LoM). I haven't lost aggro to the other 9 ppl in the raid yet, and the healers don't have a problem keeping me up. Of course this is only T1.
    Arkenstone: Pelagor 100 Captain, Finarwe 100 Loremaster, Banderdas 100 Minstrel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3