We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Vocation for LM?

So what vocation would be the best for a LM? I don't want to be a woodsman because I'm gonna buy my staffs. Should become a Historian? Because of the scholar thing, and can anyone xplain me what can a scholar do and is it worth to become a historian for a loremaster?

Re: Vocation for LM?

I am a scholar on my lm, handy thing

In essence Scholars can create, pots, scrolls, other profession crit chance items, pocket items and eventually you will be able to create Lore-master Legendary weapon books.

Jeweller is my 2nd favourite as later on the jewellery is actually pretty darn useful and you can make talismans for your pets

Another good one is tailor, as then you will be able to make clothes, but no Legendary stuff for the Lore-master.

Hope that helps

Note: I guess to add on this, Historian gives you Weaponsmith so you could also make yourself one handed swords. The farmer side of it is quite fun and you can make dye materials and sell the rest to a cook to make food.
    Last edited by OukannaV; Jun 02 2012 at 06:25 AM.

SO what is better for a LM: a jeweler or a scholar? And what are the scrolls that scholars make used for?

scholar scrolls include battle/warding lore which increase the damage/mitigations of you and your fellowship, and crafting lore which increases the critical success chance for specific crafting vocations/professions. they can also make journals, which increase the critical success chance for single-use recipes in the same way that rock salt, whetstones, brimstone, etc. are used for multi-use jeweller, weaponsmith, metalsmith, etc. recipes.

my loremaster is a woodsman. this is in part because he can make his own staff, and at the time, loremaster rezzes required a specific type of pipeweed that could be grown by farmers (though they removed that requirement sadly before my loremaster ever levelled high enough to get his rez skill), but mostly because woodworker was the only craft I didn't have covered. I already had 2 historians (the 1st guilded with the weaponsmiths, the 2nd with the scholars). I wouldn't worry so much about what vocation "fits" a particular class (there's really not one that doesn't), but what fits better with the crafts you already have among your other toons. choose something that fills a gap. although crafting has been dumbed down a bit, there are still a few lower tier recipes that require mats that are produced by other crafters. nice to be able to make those yourself when needed.

There's no such thing as "best" profession for any class .

Mine is a Tinker , and I have reputation with the Cook Guild .

The only difference between me and any other LM is wich consumables we need to buy ( or craft with an alt ) .

Just choose whichever you like the most .

Mine is a Tinker as well, not only does she craft excellent jewelry to wear, but she cooks food for both herself and for her pets.
    I have never regretted my choice.

Podgie-bear,

I am a new player and chose LM. I also am a tinkerer, where do you get ingredients to cook with?

Considering that choice as well,

I will probaply go for the Scholar (though i hear its difficult to get them up in Tier).
    Having chosen the Woodworker earlier (for the staff) I deem once you need it, a friend can do that for you.

Though I regulary burn through my Lore-Master-Parables (against interruption), Moral- and PoisenPots, and swapping 2 books,
    which are all done by a Scholar. So this one might seems Handy.

After a certain Level, i stopped going with tailored Armour and stayed with the Class-Armour.

The Jeweller would be my second consideration though, as just jewellery gets important if you lack any stats.
    And for the Hopetokens of course (also done by a Jeweller). As a bonus you get as mentioned prior the talismans(pets) on top.

Just my point of view..

I think tinker would be a great choice. Though, from a role-playing standpoint, I feel like historian would make the most sense.

when i created my LM, the only vocation i didn't have was a dedicated woodsman, so that's what i chose.

the reasoning behind this was simple: this toon would be able to craft not only staves for the LM, but bows for my hunter, bows for the gf's hunter and spears/javelins for her warden. now, i do have a champ that is an armsman, but he can't gather his own wood, so this was yet another reason for the choice.

i would have considered historian, since that vocation can make the various pots, scrolls, and parables the LM can use. it's a good choice for this class, but i already had my hunter who is the historian [again, for the same reason why you would choose this vocation for an LM: the consumables a hunter would use].

Quote Originally Posted by ElenEstel View Post
    Considering that choice as well,

I will probaply go for the Scholar (though i hear its difficult to get them up in Tier).
    Having chosen the Woodworker earlier (for the staff) I deem once you need it, a friend can do that for you.

Though I regulary burn through my Lore-Master-Parables (against interruption), Moral- and PoisenPots, and swapping 2 books,
    which are all done by a Scholar. So this one might seems Handy.

After a certain Level, i stopped going with tailored Armour and stayed with the Class-Armour.

The Jeweller would be my second consideration though, as just jewellery gets important if you lack any stats.
    And for the Hopetokens of course (also done by a Jeweller). As a bonus you get as mentioned prior the talismans(pets) on top.

Just my point of view..
    LM was my first and is my main toon. I chose Historian because Scholar just seems to fit so well, and never turned back. Scholar actually seems pretty easy to level up. You just need to find Scholar nodes, usually around old ruins. Farmer is pretty easy also. The only part of Historian I have had trouble leveling is the Weaponsmith. Now that my altitus is acting up and I am leveling a couple of toons with prospecting, I expect to be doing a little more work on the weapnsmithing of my LM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000103258/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Wilafred View Post
    Podgie-bear,

I am a new player and chose LM. I also am a tinkerer, where do you get ingredients to cook with?
    Sorry I took so long to reply. I have an alt who does nothing but farm and craft woodwork equipment for me. He is only lvl 8 but since he never leaves the Shire it doesn't matter. Crafts at Michel Delving, Farms at Hobitton.

I went for Historian long back in SoA days. Made a fair bit of money when 30G was extreme riches selling weapons. The Master level Gondorian swords, even uncritted, had +19 Agility (this has been revised) and sold like hot pies at a festival to classes that wanted the stat and/or could dual wield so hunters and burglars took every one you could make, used to go for 75-150 silver each. Making all your own pots and scrolls is pretty good too and there was a regular market for them. Guilding with Scholars lets you make your own books, you have already been making class books beforehand. The more complicated dyes usually have a ready market but lassies in kin asking nicely usually get them:-)

I levelled a woodworker to make staves and found I did not need them made, instance drops were what you wanted, Forvengwath, Guleran Sorceress and so forth (Noris was rubbish IMO). Nowadays apart from LIs my woodworker sits on his tools and complains of being bored. My tailor likewise has almost never been called on by the LM until RoI and then only briefly.

If I were to choose with ther way the game is now I'd probably stick to Historian but Tinker gets a close second call, constant demand for jewellry and hope pots. Not sure about the demand for food outside end game.

End game and instance sets with bonuses have rather hit tailoring and metal smithing anything above about L56 IMO.

Exceptionally difficult to answer in isolation. Depends on the answer to many questions such as:

1 - Do you have alts who'll need &/or help you produce crafted stuff?
    2 - How far in the game will you go?
    3 - Will you be almost exclusively a solo player or end up doing a lot of group skirms, raids & whatnot?

Without knowing answers to the above questions & more it's really not feasible to give a comprehensive answer.

Scholar makes a fair bit of sense.

I only have real experience doing jeweller, tailor, & metalsmith to any kind of level.

Assuming that metalsmith is out of the question I much prefer jeweller to tailor. I like the way that the primary ingredients [ore, jewels] & crit ingredients [salts] all come from the same place, namely ore nodes, and are reasonably plentiful. I can't really abide 'farming' for hides [a fair bit of this will be needed if you don't really have heavy-armour wearing alts at similar levels & want to go all the way up the guild] & the less said about flax fibres the better [again IMO]. It's quite often possible to move up most of a jeweler level by cheaply buying a couple of stacks of rubies, beryls, or whatever bought at the AH. More expensive/slower for tailor.

At most lowish to mid levels crit/teal crafted jewelry [especially vitality/morale stuff] tends to sell quite well on the AH since, I suppose, all classes, regardless of armour type, need at least seven bits of it.

I went with Historian on my LM, which I love. Scholars are by far the most versatile crafters in the game, and are arguably the most profitable. I have both Tinker and Historian at lvl 75, so that they can feed eachother mats. I generally get the same price for a stack of scrolls as I do from stat food on my cook... And since the time spent crafting food is far longer than crafting scrolls, I'd say to go with scholar. Besides, you can make your own legendaries with a scholar!

Course, my main's a metalsmith who gets excited when anybody needs anything crafting-wise from her. And she's a runekeeper, so her profession doesn't exactly match her class. Go figure.
    [b]Lythiea of Dwarrowdelf[/b], Member of [url=http://dd-asylum.info][b]Asylum[/b][/url] - R8 85 RK
    [b]Alts:[/b] Selenicereus, 85 guard, Castria, 85 cap, Fiordiligi, 82 LM, Minilyth, 75 mini, and Lythfiler, r6 filer.

You can't REALLY go wrong - armourer probably does you the least good, but you can do just fine with any of the others.

That said, Historian and Tinker give you a lot of useful things.

Historian: scholar can craft LM books, parables, pots, scrolls and if you are guilded, legendary LM books and nice crafted gems, suitable for typical needs of a LM. the farming can help get you things you need for cosmetic dyes. and the weaponsmith, if you can get the ore (which can be a pain), can be handy to craft swords once you get sword and staff.

Tinker: jewellery is always useful, as are tokens. jeweller can craft talismans for fun cosmetic pets which can be pricey to buy. Again, if you're a guilded jeweller, the crafted gems are nice on a LM. Cooking food for you and your pets is also handy and a lot of ingredients are on the AH for cheap.

side note - if you have two toons, and don't want to rely too heavily on others for crafting, Tinker/Historian is a great pairing. Ore from the tinker can be used by the historian and food from the historian can be used by the tinker.

Only ones I'd advocate AGAINST are Armsman and Armorer. Otherwise, you'll be fine. My LM is a Scholar, but then again that was fine because I already had a Tinker and Explorer for armor and jewelry, and as a farmer she helped her sister-tinker make snacks for the family (crafting her own swords was a nice bonus)

Thanks for this, I am just starting my loremaster today. My main toon is an armorer. I think I'm going to go Historian for this one.