We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unable to enter Moria

I am a grandfathered life member, so I am a permanent VIP level player. I have been working my burglar to get him to the level to enter Moria, and he is now level 53. I did the instance with the watcher in the water, and after the instance Rathwald at the Hollin Gate said I could not go back into the Hollin Gate until I talked to Hundi. I got the quest from Hundi to select a legendary weapon, take it to Wafi in Thorin's Hall, and get it identified.

Wafi told me to have the forge master identify it. However, the forge master says cannot be identified until I have access to Moria. But when I try to go thru the Hollin Gate to get to Moria, I am not allowed through the gate. It seems to be a catch-22 and I don't remember having this problem a couple of years ago which was the last time I had leveled a toon to be able to enter Moria.

I could use some advice how to proceed.

Thanks!

Re: Unable to enter Moria

If I remember correctly, the last few times I did this quest chain, I had to take the LI to Rivendell and talk to the people at the forge/crafting area across the bridge from the stable area, and have that forge master ID it. Then I had to level it to level 10 and talk to them again in Rivendell. Then I had to fight the watcher again with the LI... finish quests. Then I could enter Moria. It might be worth a try to check things out in Rivendell.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsis7 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the last few times I did this quest chain, I had to take the LI to Rivendell and talk to the people at the forge/crafting area across the bridge from the stable area, and have that forge master ID it. Then I had to level it to level 10 and talk to them again in Rivendell. Then I had to fight the watcher again with the LI... finish quests. Then I could enter Moria. It might be worth a try to check things out in Rivendell.
    As this, depending on race you are pointed to Thorin's hall though instead of Rivendell. Elf and Men are directed to rivendell, Hobbit's and Dwarfs to Thorin's hall. Chapter 10: Forgotten Lineage makes you to go to either of them, show the weapon, equip the wepon and slot a relic. After that "Chapter 11: Worth Beyond Measure" asks from you to lvl the weapon to lvl 10. the quest npc's don't give very good instructions at that time. Chapter 12: Forged Anew: After getting to weapon lvl 10 you can reforge the weapon and sends you back to the gates of Moria. After that you refight the watcher and are in.

I am the very model of a modern Major-General

Thank you both for responding. I agree with the assessment from each of you. However, in my original post I mentioned that I am trying to do exactly as you both suggested but when I present the weapon to the Forge-Master in Thorin's Hall, he REFUSES to identify it and thus I cannot equip it, So I cannot slot a relic nor can I level it. The reason he gives for refusing is that I don't have access to Moria yet. Well, because he refuses to identify the weapon to let me finish the quest I will never gain access to Moria.

I have submitted via /bug about this, but I don't know what command to use to check on the bug report to see if it has been answered. I used /bug a second time but that screen only offers to let me create a new bug. It does not tell me how to check on an existing bug. Any advice there for me?

Thanks again for any information that might help me. And yes my character is a Hobbit Burglar so I was directed to Thorin's Hall, not to Rivendell. The only other toons I have that have gained Moria access (a couple of years ago) were an Elf and a Man so I used Rivendell then.

Check your quest real carefully. After getting the Legendary Weapon from Hundi. You do not talk to Rosar the Forge Master. Instead you have to see Wafi in Thorin's Hall. After Wafi looks at the weapon, you will be sent to Rosar.

See this entry:
    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Quest...gotten_Lineage
    in the Lore Book for more details. Check my work. It very to make a mistake when you trying to provide good information.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

If, after trying Wafi in Thorin's Hall as Yula suggested, your LI still won't behave, submit a ticket. I ran into a similar problem with my first toon on the 'level your new weapon to ten' portion of the quest. Did so only to have the forge-masters stare blankly at me from their cold NPC eyes The GM used their magical GMy powers and the problem was solved. Haven't had an issue with any toons since. Good luck!
    [center] [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000024db46/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/center]

Thanks for the new responses. Yes I definitely went to Wafi first and only went to Rosar when Wafi specifically directed me to do so. Then i did turn in a ticket ID #2634232 with this information:

"Unable to enter Moria I am a grandfathered life member, so I am a permanent VIP level player. I have recently been working my hobbit burglar to get him to Moria, and he is now level 53. I did the instance with the watcher in the water, and after the instance Rathwald at the Hollin Gate said I could not go back into the Hollin Gate until I talked to Hundi. I got the quest from Hundi to select a legendary weapon, take it to Wafi in Thorin's Hall, and get it identified. Wafi told me to have the forge master identify it. However, the forge master says cannot be identified until I have access to Moria. But when I try to go thru the Hollin Gate to get to Moria, I am not allowed through the gate. It seems to be a catch-22 and I don't remember having this problem a couple of years ago which was the last time I had leveled a toon to be able to enter Moria. I could use some advice how to proceed."

GM Bletchley closed my ticket within 60 seconds with this answer: "In order to provide the best resolution to your issue, you will need to contact our Account Support department. That team is better equipped to handle your inquiry, as the In-Game Support team does not have access to the necessary information. To contact Account Support, please visit http://www.turbine.com/support and click on the flag appropriate to the language you would like support in. Select the “Support Center” tab and then select “Submit a Ticket”. While filling out the ticket submission form, select LOTRO as your game, and Account/Store Support as your Support Team."

In my opinion Bletchley does not know how to do whatever the GM who helped you did, so i was passed off to the Turbine account folks. I assume that means I get no help until next week. I wish Bletchley was as responsive and capable as the GM who helped you.

Sounds like your trying to Identify the wrong LI there are random drop LIs that are better then the "Introductory" LI
    The Introductory LI you are given for the first half of the Quest Line is the one you must Identify Slot equip and Level up to be able to return to fight the watcher again for the Ability to Enter Moria.

Attempting to Identify any other LI before you do the other stuff with the Introductory one you get the message you are uable to Identify Until you Have access to Moria.

To the last poster, you were on target. Originally when I received the LI for the quest, I already had two others of the same name in my pack from my Eregion travels. When I was with the Forge Master, I tried all three and he rejected all three. But after I went back and tried all three again, BUT WAS CAREFUL TO CLOSE THE DIALOG BOX EACH TIME AND OPEN THE DIALOG BOX FROM SCRATCH FOR EACH ITEM, then the quest triggered on the one that was the "true" LI even though it was named the same and I could not find any difference in the characteristics. So the bottom line is, I tried all three the first time but because I wasn't closing and re-opening the dialog box separately for each LI i tried, it rejected all three. Problem is resolved!!

^
    I actually did the same thing tried to Identify the wrong one...
    Never lft the Forge master though and realised I had more then One of the same name.
    Tried it it worked so thats what made me realise that was probably the problem you were having.
    Glad you got it working Once your In Moria It is A Blast in there.

Thumbs up Re-Forge work around.

After spending two hours on this same problem, I went to the Forge Master and instead of getting him to identify my weapon as per the quest's request, I found a second tab at the Forge Master's screen that allowed me to rename the weapon and refund all the skill points on it for five silver. I selected this, typed in a new name, and the game accepted this, and as the game had to do a re-forge to rename the weapon and refund the skill points, the Quest accepted the fact the weapon had now been reforged, and the quest updated! A complete work-around for a really old bug, but it worked for me, and I now have a weapon with my own personalized name upon it, and a chance of putting in all its skill points again. I am Free to Play, this problem came up on my first character, and was at the Forge Master in Rivendell when I did it, but not sure if this makes a difference.

As a side note, once I had done this re-forge, the Forge Master would no longer talk to me, even after putting all my weapon's skill points back in.

The initial LI IS different, it only goes to level 40, the drops and all others go to level 60.

I think it is a bit naughty linking LI ownership to entering Moria, there are plenty of non LI weapons available at those levels, and higher; I have been tempted to try Moria next time, with the starter weapon sold off and just non-LI weapons my higher level alts can craft for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    The initial LI IS different, it only goes to level 40, the drops and all others go to level 60.

I think it is a bit naughty linking LI ownership to entering Moria, there are plenty of non LI weapons available at those levels, and higher; I have been tempted to try Moria next time, with the starter weapon sold off and just non-LI weapons my higher level alts can craft for me.
    LI's were added to the game in the same expansion that added Moria to the game. The Book 2 Volume 1 quest chain is really a tutorial on using LI's for players that were eager to get to the brand new (at the time) content inside Moria. There were no upgradable weapons in the game before the Moria expansion, so it was important to funnel players into a tutorial of some sort for the entirely new upgradable weapon system (LI's). This is why the game forces you to learn the basics of using LI's before you get into Moria.

Unless the devs have significantly changed the Vol 2 Book 1 quest chain (it's been years since I last ran that set of quests), you cannot complete the quest chain without using the starter LI given to you, and you must complete Vol 2 Book 1 to unlock the West gate to Moria. Once you have opened the West gate you can get rid of the starter LI and go back to regular weapons.

I suppose the alternative is to have someone try to summon you into Moria (I'm not sure that will work) or detour through Eregion, Enedwaith, Dunland, the Gap of Rohan, Western Rohan, Eastern Rohan, the Great River and Lothlorien to get to the East gate of Moria, then all the way through Moria to get to the West gate to pick up the quest line there, but some of that trip is through a level 90+ area. When you are significantly under-level for a zone, landscape monsters aggro onto you from much greater distances than if you are level appropriate for that zone.

If you want to try getting into Moria via the long way round, travel fast or bring friends.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
    LI's were added to the game in the same expansion that added Moria to the game. The Book 2 Volume 1 quest chain is really a tutorial on using LI's for players that were eager to get to the brand new (at the time) content inside Moria. There were no upgradable weapons in the game before the Moria expansion, so it was important to funnel players into a tutorial of some sort for the entirely new upgradable weapon system (LI's). This is why the game forces you to learn the basics of using LI's before you get into Moria.

Unless the devs have significantly changed the Vol 2 Book 1 quest chain (it's been years since I last ran that set of quests), you cannot complete the quest chain without using the starter LI given to you, and you must complete Vol 2 Book 1 to unlock the West gate to Moria. Once you have opened the West gate you can get rid of the starter LI and go back to regular weapons.

I suppose the alternative is to have someone try to summon you into Moria (I'm not sure that will work) or detour through Eregion, Enedwaith, Dunland, the Gap of Rohan, Western Rohan, Eastern Rohan, the Great River and Lothlorien to get to the East gate of Moria, then all the way through Moria to get to the West gate to pick up the quest line there, but some of that trip is through a level 90+ area. When you are significantly under-level for a zone, landscape monsters aggro onto you from much greater distances than if you are level appropriate for that zone.

If you want to try getting into Moria via the long way round, travel fast or bring friends.
    Can't get into Moria from the Lorien side unless you've completed the Epics to get in from the Eregion side.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

You can be vip or lifer for as long as you want, you still need to buy expansions, so Moria too..

Quote Originally Posted by Drawbar View Post
    You can be vip or lifer for as long as you want, you still need to buy expansions, so Moria too..
    You can get into Moria as F2P, you just dont get all the extra quests. I did my first run through as F2P, and TBH going through a 2nd time with the Quad pack wasnt much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    You can get into Moria as F2P, you just dont get all the extra quests. I did my first run through as F2P, and TBH going through a 2nd time with the Quad pack wasnt much more fun.

Which extra quests come with the quad pack that were not there when you went F2P?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

If you are f2p you should only have the epic quests. Buying the quad pack/quest pack etc will add all the regular landscape quests.

Do not run the game.

I have not started the game. Since June, after the update. Download the client became a long. Splash screen appears with the "stones", and then in a minute a screensaver with the "Mordor", then the splash screen with the string "Loading...". And then there is a window with the message client program is not running.

Quote Originally Posted by Dart_Ant View Post
    I have not started the game. Since June, after the update. Download the client became a long. Splash screen appears with the "stones", and then in a minute a screensaver with the "Mordor", then the splash screen with the string "Loading...". And then there is a window with the message client program is not running.
    Details??

OS version?

Dx9 installed?

AV program?

Firewall program??

.NET versions installed installed??

SweetFX uninstalled??