We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Good skirmish soldier for LM

I'm new to lore-masters so i thought this would be a good question to ask. What are good choices for a skirmish soldier? I was thinking about chooseing an archer or warrior because the pets are tanks, and that would give me more damage output. But what do more expeieanced lore-masters think?

Re: Good skirmish soldier for LM

Well i run the tank soldier. I dont need extra dps but it is nice to have another body to keep the heat off of me

I use a healer simply so that means I need not watch my own health quite so much. The toon is pretty as well, never a downside:-) Healer will look after herself, your pet and you and once fully specced out is not bad at all. I tried an archer and felt it brought nothing to the party I could not already supply, ditto warrior. I know some LMs do Protector but I have found them prone to dashin in and starting pulls before I want them to start.

Healer and spirit pet do a very good job of acting as party healer in three and six mans and in full raids will still heal everybody to quite a significant level allowing minstrels into WS for much of the session, only dropping back to heal for hard Lts and tougher encounters/end bosses. Helps to have more than one LM doing this combo in a 12 man ofc!
    Mithithil Ithryndi

healer huh? might by a good idea considering my pet keeps getting killed by groups of enemies......

Pet isn't really strong enough tank for skirmishes.

I ran a Protector until I started doing 12-man skirmish raids at level 75. Protectors aren't wanted on skirmish raids because they aggro the wrong things, so I switched to Herbalist.

I then tried using (well-fed) bear as tank, which was OK but not great.

Now I use eagle, tank myself and rely on flanking heals. This works much better. Since I traited 5 yellow I find (T2) Encounters easier than with any previous configuration and can tank through the entire fight - previously I had to resort to kiting once the pet lost aggro.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2221900000018eafb/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Choices you hear most for lore-masters are healer, protector and champion.

Protector is nice for soloing: if you equip it with force taunts it will do the job and tank for you. They can later be a nuisance in skirmish raids, though, as they might force taunt the wrong things and take aggro from real tanks. It's usually not a real problem (you can always direct them a bit, and otherwise the problem is solved when they die), but some tanks get annoyed by them.

The same counts in a lesser degree for the champion. They don't have force taunts, so they're less annoying to real tanks, but there might be some occassions that you can't use it (the Rift skirmish comes to mind, but then again you can pretty much only use healers there). They do help your DPS when leveling and are quite okay in that. You can use them to off-tank things, but they won't hold aggro from you and tank everything (apart from if you go slow and trait debuffs and stuff). They can be a personal nuisance by breaking your crowd-control with AoE skills.

Healers are very nice, regardless what class you play. You will have to tank yourself or try to let your pet do it, though. Everyone likes healers in skirmish raids because they can't do much harm and provide useful healing.

There are also some old threads with this topic that you might want to check out. Here's one that's still up to date with the current skirmish situation: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...hould-a-LM-use.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#33ffcc]Ravanel (lore-master) | Ravalinde (rune-keeper) | Ravenwyn (captain)
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#40e0d0]~ Gilrain ~[/COLOR][COLOR=#33ffcc][/COLOR]
    [URL="http://ravalation.blogspot.com"]ravalation.blogspot.com[/URL]
    [/CENTER]

No bannerguard love? I like having a bannerguard by my side with the combo of pulling aggro, throwing out ok dps, and providing minor heals/buffs.

If you're going to do larger group skirmishes, a lot of people suggest having an herbalist handy too. I'm not a huge fan for solo skirms. If the herbalist picks up aggro, it can be a bit of a chore getting it back, but loads of people make it work.

Addendum.

I dont know what the designers had in mind but IMO and that of others in my kin having more than one skirmish soldier is a waste of marks.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

The only thing I will ever use on my LM is an archer... Protector, Bannerguard, Sage, and Warrior are just dreadful, their AoEs break mezzes. Then the herbalist I have just never needed, dont need healing or minor power regens...

Quote Originally Posted by Waxe View Post
    The only thing I will ever use on my LM is an archer... Protector, Bannerguard, Sage, and Warrior are just dreadful, their AoEs break mezzes. Then the herbalist I have just never needed, dont need healing or minor power regens...
    Mezzz...skirmish...surely not:-) I used a sage with a burg for aoe debuffs. The archer starts pulls I'm not ready for, with captain I can sort that out, mostly by having another archer to help out and kiting if need be. The healer just is, adds to the pot, and is the least loss if she gets slotted.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

Leveling Id say a defender. LM have pretty good survivability thanks to flanks least i seem to so I don't have need of a healer (and if things don't hit you you don't need one anyway XD). A pet and a defender can keep me mob free to do what I have to and keep things from messing up my inductions (Especially before a lore master gets herb lore or many of the other later game CC moves). Just be careful of its pathing (walk backward if you have to) or things will start before your ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithithil View Post
    The archer starts pulls I'm not ready for.
    You do know that the default location for the archer is a couple steps behind you, and he's aggro range isn't that wide (unless your archer is very very under-levelled compare to the mob, but then again any hugely underlevelled class, soldiers or not, is useless in a skirm).

So for archer to starts pulling on its own, you would have to (1) stand very close to a mob while facing the other way from mob, or you (2) constantly "accidentally' direct your archer to engage, or (3) never bothered to level him at all and stand pretty close to the mob.

I use a archer thats about my level, but my issue with him is that unless i direct him myself, he always stand too far behind me to engage the mob that are 20-30m away, so unless i open the fight with melee attack or direct him to attack, he's ganna sit the first 5-10 seconds of fight out while my pet tank/i debuff and root and cc and stun.

If only the cd on Direct Soldier is shorter...
    [b]Razo Mossyfoot[/b], Swine herder of Willowbottom, in The Marish of East-Farthing.
    Treasurer of Bacon, Ham and other Cured Goods of the [b][url=http://theironaxes.shivtr.com/]The Iron Axes[/url][/b] of the server Laurelin.

>>>
    If only the cd on Direct Soldier is shorter...
    >>>
    Oh very yes! And I know where the toons stand*, its just been my experience, yours may differ. I use an archer with the captain to up the dps and, childishly, because I like the effect with the archer herald as well:-)

*often in the wrong place, pathing is clearly beyond the relevant developer's interest level
    Mithithil Ithryndi

ok so it looks like i should go with either the prodecter to help keep mobs off me, or a herblist to heal me. hhhuuummmm......

It depends what you plan to do. If you do multiplayer skirmishes, a protector will be a liability as they always *always* run ahead. You simply can't control them. Same is true for warriors and bannerguards. Basically, if it's melée, it wants to be standing way in front of you. Naturally this makes for a right pain for the player tanks to make controlled pulls.

Multiplayer skirmishes - Use a herbalist. Or if you like, an archer for extra DPS, or even a sage.

For soloing (or small group) you might not feel like being used as a punchbag and having a protector to soak up the hits whilst you take them down will be very useful. In this case you want them running ahead and picking up the mobs before they get to you.

Solo skirmishes - Use a protector.

You can always change this with a skirmish point reset from the LotRO Store, of course, so it may well be that you can level up with a Protector (or other melée toon) then switch over to a herbalist later.
    Main: Tirnolwe of The Lost Companions, Laurelin (75LM)
    Alts: Silithil (75CHP) Campion (75GRD) Alunadail (75MIN) Geirdis (75CP)
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/c3rduyz]Turbine no plans to fix MyLotro.[/url]

I chose an Herbalist. Early on, she'll offset the morale cost of your attacks. Later on, the rest of your group will love you for it.

I'm currently using an Archer. Just like I did on my Minstrel. As soon as my LM reaches max level and will be participating in skirmish raids, I will reset my soldier and slot the Herbalist. I love the Archer for her single target dps. I just blow the horn and she will take the enemy down and then start sniping the enemies away that are giving me or my pet trouble. And because she does DPS to one target, she won't grab hold of the aggro of the entire group. Like the Herbalist will do sometimes.
    [center][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6524/m9jv.jpg[/img][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Tromador View Post
    It depends what you plan to do. If you do multiplayer skirmishes, a protector will be a liability as they always *always* run ahead. You simply can't control them. Same is true for warriors and bannerguards. Basically, if it's melée, it wants to be standing way in front of you. Naturally this makes for a right pain for the player tanks to make controlled pulls.

Multiplayer skirmishes - Use a herbalist. Or if you like, an archer for extra DPS, or even a sage.

For soloing (or small group) you might not feel like being used as a punchbag and having a protector to soak up the hits whilst you take them down will be very useful. In this case you want them running ahead and picking up the mobs before they get to you.

Solo skirmishes - Use a protector.

You can always change this with a skirmish point reset from the LotRO Store, of course, so it may well be that you can level up with a Protector (or other melée toon) then switch over to a herbalist later.
    I have to say I find it curious so many folks report problems with the protector. I leveled my loremaster to 75 on my old account with no issues using a protector for skirmishes. I admit she was never wanted in 6 or 12 mans, so I had to go those without her if I was in a PuG, but if I ran with kinnies we never had issues with my protector pulling aggro of the tank, not even once.

I think use of the protector on a LM (or any other class) does boil down to how much do you want to be micro managing it's activities. What I mean is that as a LM, I find it par for the course to be setting up the protector and watching her aggro range every bit as much as Iwatch my pet and the mobs, since well... CC is our primary job anyway.

In my case, I learned early on (as others here said) to watch where I stood in position to the mobs. My protector's aggro range was not that far though, so I found it easy to control and didn't see her run off way ahead like the warrior. Once I got to higher levels, I found I could trait full MoNF and blast the bee-jee-sus outta everything and she kept aggro off me.

A fun thing was having my bear and her tank in sword halls

Anyway, I understand the value and relevant ease of having the herbalist. I used one exclusively with my hunter and it was nice... but if you don't mind the investment, having a good protector at end game levels is pretty awesome indeedy... and fun even in a group if you manage them carefully and have folks willing to trust you can

I started with a warrior then change to herbalist because the warrior kept going too forward and pulling a lot of mobs. Didnt like the herbalist much and then i switched back to warrior and spend a little more marks on it. Shes not that tough but she can hold herself most of times. I dont think we really need more heals. Herbalists and archers are better for raids though.

I started with an Archer, because Loremaster dps at low levels isn't all that good. But after I hit max level and was traited red, the archer wasn't all that great anymore. I do a ton of AoE damage and the archer picking off single targets just isn't as useful. I switched to the herbalist and haven't looked back. It gets especially good when you buy the Ultimate heal. I wish I could get all those marks I spent on the archer back.

The other good thing about the herbalist is there is absolutely no prejudice against bringing one to a group. If you bring anything else, there's always someone that complains about it, whether the complaint is justified or not. No one ever gripes about an herbalist.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002739b1/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Gilcrist, 85 Man Warden, Elendilmir
    Gilfindond, 85 Elf Champion, Elendilmir

Hands down the Warrior, once you get him max level, then throw in your pet, you just melt stuff. No CC really needed. If you're taking him in a group, you could make him single-target at the expense of a skill but he's really pretty easy to get him where you want him to go. The faster you kill something the less damage it can do to you...
    [B][COLOR=cyan][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000039d09/signature.png]Viloxus[/charsig]
    8-time Grand Champion Guinness Drinker[/COLOR][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=silver]June 2008 model in "Failmasters of 2008" Calendar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [B][COLOR=green]Making the world a better place one less pair of pants at a time :p [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

cost of switching soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by Uldarion1 View Post
    Pet isn't really strong enough tank for skirmishes.

I ran a Protector until I started doing 12-man skirmish raids at level 75. Protectors aren't wanted on skirmish raids because they aggro the wrong things, so I switched to Herbalist.

I then tried using (well-fed) bear as tank, which was OK but not great.

Now I use eagle, tank myself and rely on flanking heals. This works much better. Since I traited 5 yellow I find (T2) Encounters easier than with any previous configuration and can tank through the entire fight - previously I had to resort to kiting once the pet lost aggro.
    Uldarion, i was wondering how tough it was to switch skirmish soldiers after you had spent so much time (and marks) developing your Protector? Did you have to start from scratch with your new Herbalist? Thanks!