We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Do I need to buy the expansions with F2P?

Hello all,

I'm currently downloading LOTRO and it is going to be my first time playing it. I was a WoW player from release all the way to when I completed everything I wanted to do with the Cataclysm expansion. I've also played Warhammer Online and SWTOR and enjoyed both of those a lot. However, I'm a HUGE LOTR fan and after lurking around these forums it seems this game sounds exactly like what I want in an MMO, especially a LOTR one. I'm a bit confused about the content of the game though, I was wondering what exactly comes in the F2P version and things I should probably purchase? Are the expansions free with the game or do you have to pay for them? What else should I look into purchasing if I really end up enjoying this game?

Appreciate any help guys, I'm looking forward to playing this game a lot.

Re: Do I need to buy the expansions with F2P?

Quote Originally Posted by Abtar View Post
    Hello all,

I'm currently downloading LOTRO and it is going to be my first time playing it. I was a WoW player from release all the way to when I completed everything I wanted to do with the Cataclysm expansion. I've also played Warhammer Online and SWTOR and enjoyed both of those a lot. However, I'm a HUGE LOTR fan and after lurking around these forums it seems this game sounds exactly like what I want in an MMO, especially a LOTR one. I'm a bit confused about the content of the game though, I was wondering what exactly comes in the F2P version and things I should probably purchase? Are the expansions free with the game or do you have to pay for them? What else should I look into purchasing if I really end up enjoying this game?

This might help.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/F2P

Btw if you want to get the expansions and what not, buy Rise of Isengard (RoI) legendary. It's $24.99 right now. And it gives you a lot of stuff. It gives you the fellowship pack (Trollshaws, Eregion, Mines of Moria and Lothlorien) plus Mirkwood, plus all of Isengard (Dunlund, Gap of Rohan, Isengard) plus raid cluster, three mounts with three matching cosmetics, plus 1000 turbine points. Definitely worth it. Plus I believe if I'm not mistaken (please correct me guys) it gets you to premium instead of F2P which gives you more perks as well. Honestly the only thing if you get this would be to buy a month's subscription of VIP to unlock all trait slots, gold cap, swift travel and a couple more perks.

Go to store.turbine.com for details on that. I just bought it for my gf and I and honestly there's really not much else to buy unless you want ALL the areas. What's left to buy would be North Downs, Evendim, Forochel, Misty Mountains, Angmar and Enedwaith and the Great River. You can get to cap with what RoI gets you though.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ipatino91; May 28 2012 at 04:41 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000022c386/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Abtar View Post
    I was wondering what exactly comes in the F2P version and things I should probably purchase?
    youll get the quests in the 4 starter countrys, shire, bree, eried luin, thorins gate and lonelands
    2 character slots
    can hold upto 2 gold max
    3 bags
    epic story line quests upto 75
    see this chart to get an idea of whats what
    http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

you can explore all the world and level to 75, you can also earn an unlimited amount of Turbine Points to purchase anything you need ie quest packs and expansions. but you can only earn TP in zones you own a quest pack for

Are the expansions free with the game or do you have to pay for them?
    no expansions are purchased by everybody either with cash or with turbine points
    What else should I look into purchasing if I really end up enjoying this game?

imho the best thing you can purhase is one months sub aka ViP, youll retain a few benefits on toons logged on during your ViP time once you downgrade to premium
    see here for more
    Answers to Your Questions

or you may want to buy the gold cap removal, riding skill and a few quest, extra bag space and trait slots,
    packs and\or expansions
    Blissfully smoking pipe-weed together on Snowbourn since 14/04/07
    spend all day smoking pipeweed and dreaming of gold

Yes, it's gotten pretty confusing for newcomers. Let me try to give you an overview.

As a free player, you can:
    • Create up to 2 characters per server
    • Play as long as you like
    • Reach the current level cap of 75 (and probably whatever cap is whenever they raise it)
    • Travel to any zone (once you meet any level or reputation or quest requirements)
    • Do the Epic quest series in any zone

You get access to all the quests and deeds in the starter zones of Ered Luin (for elves and dwarves), the Shire (hobbits), and Bree (humans), plus the Lonelands (where the Forsaken Inn and Weathertop are). It's as if you "own" the quest packs for those 4 zones. After that, if you want to get quests and deeds in a zone, you'll need to unlock the quest pack for that zone.

You unlock content primarily by purchasing it with Turbine Points (TPs). You earn TPs as you play; primarily by completing deeds. You can also buy TPs directly with real money. Once you make a purchase (of any kind) using real money, your account is upgraded to Premium. Permanently. Premium players:
    • Get up to 3 characters per server
    • Have a gold cap of 5g (instead of only 2g for Free players)
    • Can send and trade in-game currency
    • Place up to 5 auctions in the Auction House per character
    • Have fewer chat restrictions than Free players

If you choose to subscribe (pay a monthly, quarterly, or yearly fee), you unlock:
    • All non-expansion quest packs
    • 2 more character slots per server (for a total of 5)
    • 2 more inventory bags (for a total of 5)
    • 25 more auction slots per character (for a total of 30)
    • 20 shared wardrobe slots
    • All trait slots (once you are high enough level to use them)
    • All swift travel routes (once you discover them)
    • 500 TPs per month, which you can save up to spend on expansions or whatever

If you choose to stop paying, you lose access to the quest packs, character slots, wardrobe space, auction space, and 500 points per month, but you keep the rest on any character you log in with while VIP.

Whether or not you need to buy expansions or not is up to you... and it's not a decision you need to make right away. The first expansion zone, Moria, starts at level 50. Mirkwood starts at 60, and Isengard starts at 65. (We believe that the Rohan expansion, due in the fall, will start at 75.) For Moria and Isengard, you can choose to buy either the quest pack OR the expansion. Expansion packs contain the quest packs plus other good stuff.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Hello, and welcome! Lots of good advice here already.

One thing I'd recommend is not to buy everything right away - just get in and play. There's quite a lot you can do at the beginning before putting down any cash, and most of the f2p restrictions don't actually seem very restricting until you get into the game a bit.

If you decide you like the game (and I sincerely hope you will) you'll have a better idea at that point of what you want from it, how much money you're willing to spend, and how much a Turbine Point is worth in played time or real money. Then you'll be better informed for deciding whether you want to subscribe, or buy the next quest pack, or whatever.

Also, if you're looking to buy something with TPs (the Moria expansion, for example) but don't need it right away, watch for sales. Most items in the store go on sale fairly regularly, for 20% up to 50% (though a half-off sale on a big-ticket item is rare). I try not to buy anything not on sale if I can help it, because there's nothing as frustrating as paying full price for something only to see it go on sale the next week.
    My characters are listed at my lotro-wiki page.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, all I was looking for. I think I'll take Elinnea's advice and try the game out for a little first and then take all your guys advice and probably buy a one month sub.

How many expansions do you get as f2p n how far can you play as f2p

Quote Originally Posted by Chase115 View Post
    Right now, EVERY quest pack and expansion is unlocked for ALL accounts, including F2P, until April 30th.

Ordinarily, F2P players get the quests and deeds in the first four regions free (Ered Luin, The Shire, Bree-Land and the Lone Lands). These take you up to about level 35 if you do everything there is to do. While there are no level restrictions and you can go wherever you like in the entire game world, it will be hard to level past that without purchasing more quest packs or expansions. This can be done with real money, or with LOTRO points that are earned by completing deeds in game. It is possible to earn the lot without paying a penny, but for most people I think a balance between spending the odd few quid and earning some stuff in-game is the norm.

But as I said, for now, literally EVERYTHING is unlocked as a special promotion, so now is the time to play as much of the game as you can to decide how much you like it - I heartily encourage you to do so

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Right now, EVERY quest pack and expansion is unlocked for ALL accounts, including F2P, until April 30th.
    [...] literally EVERYTHING is unlocked as a special promotion, so now is the time to play ...
    I can't start new threads, so this seemed like the most likely place to ask ...

How to I get the riding skill?

The quest giver says I have to be VIP, and the only trait unlock thing I could see in the store was the one that unlocked Nocked somethingorother.
    Not the Riding Skill that I was hoping for , and not something I would otherwise chosen to spend LotroPoints on at this early stage. Especially with the teabag-sized wallet I still have.

Of course, it could be just that I'm blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Argghenlost View Post

The quest giver says I have to be VIP, and the only trait unlock thing I could see in the store was the one that unlocked Nocked somethingorother.
    Not the Riding Skill that I was hoping for , and not something I would otherwise chosen to spend LotroPoints on at this early stage. Especially with the teabag-sized wallet I still have.

The quest (a race) for the riding skill is only available for VIPs at lvl 20. Everyone else has to buy the riding skill in the Lotro Store (costs 95LP)
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy - Ithil

Laergwend (Mini) - Back on the shelf again, with all my alts - Gladden

Quote Originally Posted by Argghenlost View Post

Search for the word "riding" in the store. It's 95 LP as Laurelinarien said.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Search for the word "riding" in the store. It's 95 LP as Laurelinarien said.
    A search box in the store .... who'da thunk it?!?! Brilliant! Learn something most days
    Thanks, y'all, for your help. Now to go gt 10 LP before my average steed decides it's time is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase115 View Post
    Since hopefully you'll be here past April 30th I thought I'd expand a little on your question.

Standard answer no matter what's going on; a F2p player can get to max level without spending any real money. Might not be easy, I don't think it would be fun, but it could be done.

Now the game as it stands til April 30th. SSG was nice enough to make the entire game free. So all regions and expansions are totally 100% free to play. All quests, raids and instances. How far you can get in a bit over a month is up to you.

The extra's like the riding skill, gold cap, traits and fast travel are still under the standard game restrictions, so you'd need to buy those either with in game earned store tokens or better a cash purchase as that means you're no longer a F2p player, but a Premium one (so one who has spent real money on the game). Premium players have the gold cap, traits and fast travel unlocked automatically.

Once past April 30th and the game goes back to normal play:

- Any quests or deeds you started in any area can be completed once the normal game kicks back in May 1st. You just won't be able to take any new one's after the first 4 regions.

- F2p players only get the first 4 regions free. Anything past that (regions or expansions) must be bought from the store (either the in game store or the Market place on the internet). Now as you play you earn store tokens so under normal conditions you'd probably have enough tokens after the first 4 regions to buy your next one.

In addition to the free regions; everyone one has access to the free quest lines; Epic Quest line and the Bingo Boffin quest line. These go through most of the different regions and expansions, so while you can't do any other quests in an area you don't own, you can do these. As they aren't of the lvl 1, 2, 3 variety, but more like lvl 5, 10, 15 you'll find you'll need to do stuff in between which can be done by grinding instances etc.... Best bet is to over level before starting them and then you'll slowly stay ahead for quite a while.

Both stop when you get to the Helm's Deep area. Bingo turns around at that point anyway so no problem there, but the Epic requires the purchase of Helm's Deep to continue through that expansion and then goes back free till it all ends in Mordor.