We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Some of my favorites are:

[Quote]I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

------Farewell speech of Bilbo Baggins, Chapter 'A Long-Expected Party'.[\quote]

Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.

-----Frodo, Chapter 'Three is Company'.
    “[I]It will never work, change always makes things worse, and Turbine doesn’t care about us anyway…[/I].” Eeyore
    “[I]But maybe it will have honey or even something better[/I]!!” -- Pooh

"Now, feeling the way become steep before his feet, he looked wearily up; and then he saw it, even as Gollum had said that he would: the city of the Ringwraiths. He cowered against the stony bank.

A long-tilted valley, a deep gulf of shadow, ran back far into the mountains. Upon the further side, some way within the valley's arms high on a rocky seat upon the black knees of the Ephel Duath, stood the walls and tower of Minas Morgul. All was dark about it, earth and sky, but it was lit with light. Not the imprisoned moonlight welling through the marble walls of Minas Ithil long ago, Tower of the Moon, fair and radiant in the hollow of the hills. Paler indeed than the moon ailing in some slow eclipse was the light of it now, wavering and blowing like a noisome exhalation of decay, a corpse-light, a light that illuminated nothing. In the walls and tower windows showed, like countless black holes looking inward into emptiness; but the topmost course of the tower revolved slowly, first one way and then another, a huge ghostly head leering into the night. For a moment the three companions stood there, shrinking, staring up with unwilling eyes. Gollum was the first to recover. Again he pulled at their cloaks urgently, but he spoke no word. Almost he dragged them forward. Every step was reluctant, and time seemed to slow its pace, so that between the raising of a foot and the setting of it down minutes of loathing passed.

So they came slowly to the white bridge. Here the road, gleaming faintly, passed over the stream in the midst of the valley, and went on, winding deviously up towards the city's gate: a black mouth opening in the outer circle of the northward walls. Wide flats lay on either bank, shadowy meads filled with pale white flowers. Luminous these were too, beautiful and yet horrible of shape, like the demented forms in an uneasy dream; and they gave forth a faint sickening charnel-smell; an odour of rottenness filled the air. From mead to mead the bridge sprang. Figures stood there at its head, carven with cunning in forms human and bestial, but all corrupt and loathsome. The water flowing beneath was silent, and it steamed, but the vapour that rose from it, curling and twisting about the bridge, was deadly cold. Frodo felt his senses reeling and his mind darkening...."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001cba22/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I have many favorites for sure in my two full readings.

"Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden! Fell deeds awake; fire and slaughter! spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor! - Théoden's speech prior to the charge on Pelennor fields.

I have to add, that in the movie, when he chants "death" and the company responds and at the final chant it is a full blown cry, it is really moving! I think in the outtakes they said that it was kind of ad lib and not from the script but it worked so well that PJ left it in. I will watch that speech by itself sometimes.
    Last edited by captainBA; Jul 02 2013 at 04:43 PM.

I always loved the description of Shelob.

"But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dûr; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness." —The Two Towers
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I'm guessing it is a toss between Gandalf's quote about life with Frodo and this

"Before them went a great cavalry of horsemen moving like
    ordered shadows, and at their head was one greater than all the rest: a Rider,
    all black, save that on his hooded head he had a helm like a crown that
    flickered with a perilous light. Now he was drawing near the bridge below, and
    Frodo's staring eyes followed him, unable to wink or to withdraw. Surely there
    was the Lord of the Nine Riders returned to earth to lead his ghastly host to
    battle? Here, yes here indeed was the haggard king whose cold hand had smitten
    down the Ring-bearer with his deadly knife."
    The Two Towers, Chapter 8, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol (J.R.R. Tolkien)
    Nerf healing in PvMP and just maybe it will be worth it again.

[QUOTE=SavinDwarf;6825165]Some of my favorites are:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

------Farewell speech of Bilbo Baggins, Chapter 'A Long-Expected Party'.[\quote]
    So love this line. I am still trying to figure it out all these years later....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

For even the wise cannot see all ends- Gandalf

Last edited by Al.; Jul 01 2013 at 06:55 PM.

It's just amazing how everyone picked a different quote!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

There's so many from the books, too hard to choose.

So at the risk of heresy I'll pick one from the films that always makes me giggle:

Faramir: "And who are you? His bodyguard?"
    Sam: "His Gardener".

Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Are we allowing Silmarillion quotes? Some of my favourites come from there and The Children of Hurin.

Assuming we are, here are two of my favourites from Silmarillion, although there are so many in there it is hard to choose:

“But he that sows lies in the end shall not lack of a harvest, and soon he may rest from toil indeed, while others reap and sow in his stead.” ------> The lies Melkor spreads among the Noldor that they are held in thraldom, to restrain them from claiming the vast lands of ME

also:

“Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart; and remember that the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West, and cometh from the Sea.”
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Nice name geindir, I just found it in the Silmarillion famous dwarf even.

Not my favourite, but the most intriguing to me. It's the announcement by the eagles of Sauron's defeat, sometimes known as the Canticle of the Eagles or Song for Minas Arnor. http://tolkien.cro.net/talesong/singanor.html

Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,
    for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,
    and the Dark Tower is thrown down.
    Sing and rejoice, ye people of the Tower of Guard,
    for your watch hath not been in vain,
    and the Black Gate is broken,
    and your King hath passed through,
    and he is victorious.
    Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
    for your King shall come again,
    and he shall dwell among you
    all the days of your life.
    And the Tree that was withered shall be renewed,
    and he shall plant it in the high places,
    and the City shall be blessed.

When you read it out loud, it sounds like it was ripped out of the Bible. All that's missing is an amen.

It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace.
    and

Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'

And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards.
    because rawr.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

my most favorite quote is

"I can't carry the ring for you, but I can carry you !!!" Sam said.
    THE lore-master

Away high in the East swung Remmirath, the Netted Stars, and slowly above the mists red Borgil rose, glowing like a jewel of fire. Then by some shift of the airs all the mist was drawn away like a veil, and there leaned up, as he climbed over the rim of the world, the Swordsman of the Sky, Menelvagor with his shining belt. The Elves all burst into song….

The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 3, "Three is Company"
    [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/yNh3me2.png[/img][/center]

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door". Ever since I read that years ago, I look at the road next to my house and think of that line.

Some favourite passages:

The Fellowship of the Ring:

"If Gandalf would go before us with a bright flame, he might melt a path for you," said Legolas. The storm had troubled him little, and he alone of the Company remained still light of heart.

"If Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save us," answered Gandalf. "But I must have something to work on. I cannot burn snow."

"Well," said Boromir, "When heads are at a loss bodies must serve, as we say in my country..."
    The Two Towers:

"And what about your companions? What about Legolas and me?" cried Gimli, unable to contain himself longer. "You rascals, you woolly-footed and wool-pated truants! A fine hunt you have led us! Two hundred leagues, through fen and forest, battle and death, to rescue you! And here we find you feasting and idling-- and smoking! Smoking! Where did you come by the weed, you villains? Hammer and tongs! I am so torn between rage and joy, that if I do not burst, it will be a marvel!"

"You speak for me, Gimli," laughed Legolas. "Though I would sooner learn how they came by the wine."

"One thing you have not found in your hunting, and that's brighter wits," said Pippin, opening an eye. "Here you find us sitting on a field of victory, amid the plunder of armies, and you wonder how we came by a few well-earned comforts!"

"Well-earned?" said Gimli. "I cannot believe that!"
    The Return of the King:

"Twenty-nine!" said the lad and whistled. "Why, you are quite old! As old as my uncle Iorlas. Still," he added hopefully, "I wager I could stand you on your head or lay you on your back."
    And another one:

Farmer Cotton came up close and stared at him in the twilight. "Well!" he exclaimed. "The voice is right, and your face is no worse than it was, Sam. But I should a' passed you in the street in that gear. You've been in foreign parts, seemingly. We feared you were dead."
    Last edited by ferdinanda; Jul 13 2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of The Lonely Mountain Band

Its from the Hobbit, Thorin says this to Bilbo

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
    Frekkles 85 hunter Torador 85 Guardian of Crimson Fury

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060100002b1de3/signature.png]Roughrough[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by blknight2 View Post
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
    +rep epic quote

Wink

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! - tom bombadil ;p

Quote Originally Posted by blknight2 View Post
    Words to live by!
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Many very good ones have been said already, but I think this deserves a mention:

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Faramir
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000182efb/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[i]"For even the very wise cannot see all ends."[/i][/center]

From The Two Towers, The Forbidden Pool-

'
    'But tonight you have come where it is death to come. The fish of this pool are dearly bought.'
    Gollum dropped the fish from his hand. 'Don't want fish,' he said.
    I just love this one little part and Gollum's response.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast