We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Need advice with 2nd Age DPS/Moors Staff

Hi All,

Again I am sorry if this has been posted but i was not able to find the info (new to the LM forums)

Anyway I am in a process of creating a DPS/Moors Staff - so far i have crafted 2 both with terrible bonuses (like agility) and 3 majors each.

I have about 7 Symbols of Celebrimor left an i am determined to use them until i fine a staff that i want.

The question: Is it worthed ? Basically I am looking for Tactical Mitigation bonus (maybe Will/Fate) + and 4 majors at least.

Also I will need a Moors/DPS book should I craft a 2nd age 75 lv one or 65 FA if i can find the symbol.

Any advice is highly appreciated - thanks.
    [url=http://www.sigcreator.com/][img]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/911993610lotro_lotro18.png[/img][/url]

Re: Need advice with 2nd Age DPS/Moors Staff

Basically, with your staff, I wouldn't settle for any less than 4 majors in a pvp setting. Here's typically how I set mine up in order of importance:
    Majors-
    1.Tactical Damage % inc
    2.Burning Embers Initial Damage % inc
    3.Fire Skills Crit Mult
    4.Staff Strike CD dec
    5.Cracked Earth Range inc (only if you manage 5 majors)

Minors-
    1.Burning Embers Range inc (only minor you 100% need)
    2.Stick Gourd Initial Damage % inc
    3.Cracked Earth Initial Damage % inc/ Ents go to War Damage % inc

I know some people swear by Light of the Rising Dawn major legacies, but in a pvp setting, I just have found the others to be infinitely more useful. If you get the 5 majors, you might want to consider using one of them instead of the CE range inc. The only reason why I use the range is on my FA, it can get up to a 20 meter inc, which puts it up to 45... insane for an aoe skill. But, once again, I managed 5 majors on my FA so would have most likely put on SG initial damage with the other minor.

Addressing your point with the above the lines, I completely agree that the agi ones are stupid and the tact mit/ morale/ will or w.e. ones are preferable. However, I wouldn't throw away a staff with 4 or 5 majors because the above the lines suck. It's relatively easy to cap mits on an lm without it, so I wouldn't kill yourself over it. But yeah, the agi makes me cry.

As for your book, absolutely go with a FA and keep trying at it until you get one with the tact damage increase above the line. The 5% you can get from that vastly makes up for the relatively minimal loses from relics. Heck, I'm still using a gem from back in the day that gives 1200 tact mastery and 600 tact mits that can be put on a low level FA just because it only scaled to t6. As for your legacies, here's what I would consider in order of importance.

Majors-
    1. Burning Embers Pulses inc
    2. Sign of Power Duration inc
    3. Fire Skills Critical Rating inc
    3.5. (Wizard's Fire Pulses inc... see below)
    4. Target Tact Skills Resist Rating dec (do not waste a major on this if you have sufficient finesse)
    5. Target Fire Skills Resist Rating dec (same as above)

Minors-
    1. Fire Damage Over Time inc
    2. Ancient Craft Targets inc
    3. Fire Lore Targets inc

Books are interesting because Finesse pretty much outdated our resist legacies, the exception being debuff resist decrease in a pve setting just because a missed debuff or cc can complete eff over the group. I'm running 10.5k Finesse and am very surprised if I ever see a resist in the moors (dots excluded). Burning Embers pulses are a must. You can get up to 55 second duration on your dots (11 pulses) and the damage really stacks up. Not to mention preventing stealth like a jerk. Some people swear by Wizard's Fire Pulses, which, tbh, isn't a bad option, but it's too easily reapplied to be using it for damaging purposes. Only application I see for it stealth prevention, but really, unless you end up with extra majors lying around, I wouldn't bother. Sign of Power duration is fantastic because when traited for duration, SI gets up to 1:30 seconds and SD up to 5:30. You honestly don't want to have to worry about reapplying those more than you have to... it gets to be a real hassle (not to mention to See All Ends duration up to 45 seconds in red line... hawt). The Fire Skills Crit Ratingg inc is self explanatory... just an all around solid legacy if a little underwhelming atm. Fire Damage Over Time inc is the only major I'd say is 100% necessary... making your 55 second BE dots (and I suppose maybe Wizard's Fire) 10% more potent is pretty nice. AC targets is good in raid v raid to insure you get Lightning Storm off on it's max targets. Fire Lore targets is another solid raid v raid option.

Long and short of it with the book... go for an FA with 5% tact damage increase above the line. Put on BE pulses, SoP duration and Fire Crit. If you get a 4th major, put on Wizard's pulses if you stack finesse, otherwise, choose a resist. With your minors, use Fire damage over time and AC targets if you have two minors. Throw in a stat or FL if you have a third.

I'm sure there was a bit of rambling in there, but hopefully you can take away something useful from it. Remember, a lot of playing the lm is all about style. Good luck!
    [CENTER]
    [IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk321/jdcasy/ApexFlight_zps07fef3b4.png[/IMG][COLOR=#a9a9a9]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][B]~ Cirq - r13 LM - Apex - Elendilmir [/B]// [B]Cirone of Windfola ~[/B][B][I]
    "Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times."[/I] [/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

+ Rep for u

Thanks a lot for the long reply and tanking the time to explain ur decision making.

Note: With regards to Tactical Mit (on the staff) the idea is that if I manage to get it will probably be able to Unslot one of my Tact Mit Virtue (Tolerance for example).

I am not even close to my finishing my build/deeds so i have no idea where i will stand and the end and what will cost me to cap Tactical Mit. I guess we will see.
    Last edited by Sellene; May 22 2012 at 04:57 PM.
    [url=http://www.sigcreator.com/][img]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/911993610lotro_lotro18.png[/img][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Sellene View Post
    Note: With regards to Tactical Mit (on the staff) the idea is that if I manage to get it will probably be able to Unslot one of my Tact Mit Virtue (Tolerance for example).
    Yeah, that's something definitely to take into consideration and something I quite honestly didn't think of at the time of my previous post, lol. But yeah, the spare virtue slot certainly isn't game changing, but totally something to look for. It'll just be up to you to balance the desire for good above the lines with the need for 4/5 majors. And more importantly, how many symbols you're willing to go through to find it
    Last edited by JDCass; May 22 2012 at 11:18 PM.
    [CENTER]
    [IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk321/jdcasy/ApexFlight_zps07fef3b4.png[/IMG][COLOR=#a9a9a9]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#999999][B]~ Cirq - r13 LM - Apex - Elendilmir [/B]// [B]Cirone of Windfola ~[/B][B][I]
    "Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times."[/I] [/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Hello again,

So I wanted to ask some more questions. First off I am done trying to get Tactical Mit Staff with 4 Majors.

Got one but only with 3 majors after about 5 tries. Anyway got a decent staff with 4 majors (no agility) and I am set

As far as the Book Goes I got lucky and found First Age book in the AH (65lv) - got BE pulses + Fire Crit + Wizz Pulses as majors. I love Wizzard pulses I even trait it for 25% more damage. (short induction - can cast it on the move - CD is very short) what is not to like.

I have a key binding keyboards - so I can hot swap with 1 key to another book and get the 30 sec additional SI. I will bind another key for See All Ends duration tonight.

So on the book i have 3 minors left - I will get the Fire Over time and AC Targets. I am not fully convinced about the last slot should I go Fire Lore or Raw Will Stat or Inner Flame (the inner flame one gives +50% increase) which in my set up gives about 150 morale per second (i will try to Hot Swap that legacy with another book as well see if it works).

Please correct me if wrong - Fire Lore is to be used on Reavers. Any other class I should use fire lore on ???

What about the wargs should i use fire or frost lore - it seems all their attacks deal tactical damage ?

Spiders what to use on them ? For WL i use Frost lore?

Thanks in advance.

atm agility isn't a really bad bonus on staf for etten cause give you crit+ evade/parry
    Not a lot but with cristal will be a good bonus.
    Range on burning is a must but don't forget you can't upgrade all your legacy, you need to max tactical damage burning damage and fire skill crit, staff strike is another important part of your dps ... usually you can't use any other skill with a warg (or more) on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sellene View Post
    Hello again,

So I wanted to ask some more questions. First off I am done trying to get Tactical Mit Staff with 4 Majors.

Got one but only with 3 majors after about 5 tries. Anyway got a decent staff with 4 majors (no agility) and I am set

As far as the Book Goes I got lucky and found First Age book in the AH (65lv) - got BE pulses + Fire Crit + Wizz Pulses as majors. I love Wizzard pulses I even trait it for 25% more damage. (short induction - can cast it on the move - CD is very short) what is not to like.

I have a key binding keyboards - so I can hot swap with 1 key to another book and get the 30 sec additional SI. I will bind another key for See All Ends duration tonight.

So on the book i have 3 minors left - I will get the Fire Over time and AC Targets. I am not fully convinced about the last slot should I go Fire Lore or Raw Will Stat or Inner Flame (the inner flame one gives +50% increase) which in my set up gives about 150 morale per second (i will try to Hot Swap that legacy with another book as well see if it works).

Please correct me if wrong - Fire Lore is to be used on Reavers. Any other class I should use fire lore on ???

What about the wargs should i use fire or frost lore - it seems all their attacks deal tactical damage ?

Spiders what to use on them ? For WL i use Frost lore?

Thanks in advance.
    Various notes-

I'm still a strong advocate of SoP duration over Wiz Fire pulses on a 3 major book. I see the benefits of the extra pulses, but since it's so reapplicable, you it's not that unreasonable to hit it again on a target after the initial 10 seconds are up. However, there's also something to be said for being able to throw it individually on a large group of creeps and just leave it there to do little ticks for 55 seconds. I just find the 1:30 duration on SI and 45 seconds on See All Ends more beneficial.

I'd go with raw Will as your last legacy on the book. You want to use your point on the other legacies first. Slap a Will (or Vit) on there and leave it. Inner Flame has limited uses in pvp (though admittedly, it could be a saver from dots from time to time) and Fire Lore is too expensive to upgrade past the initial +1 target over other legacies. But that's ultimately up to you.

Fire Lore on Reavers and Wargs. I suppose you could throw it on WL's and Defilers in a 1v1, but wouldn't waste it otherwise on them.
    Frost Lore on WL's and Defilers. It debuffs their heals as well as tact damage.
    Wind Lore on BA's and Spiders.

In response to the what the person above me said, I would agree with a bit of reservation. BE damage, Tact damage, and Fire crit multiplier should be absolutely first (after you max tact rating of course). Then I'm assuming your 4th major will be Staff Strike cd (or you might be one those LotRD people) and one of the minors BE range. Whatever your second minor is, I would not put any points into it over the previously mentioned. I'd recommend bringing Staff Strike down to a 6-6.5 second cd or so and throw the rest into BE range. I would imagine you have SG damage, Ents damage or Lightning Storm damage as your other minor. I honestly don't find any of those important enough (however useful they are to have) to sacrifice your points elsewhere. A stat might be worth consideration but others would disagree with me on that point ./twocents

Hope you got something moderately useful out of that mess.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

My only add to this covo is this...

I have both of my DoTs maxx'd out, and in theory that is great, but in situations where the creep can get himself out of combat that's a problem because their non-combat morale regen offsets the work your DoTs are doing.

In a large group fight this usually isn't an issue because your opponent will usually remain in combat and bleed out, but often they can get themselves out of combat.

I will send my raven into a keep or to OC to keep that creep in combat (evasion is beast on the raven) and then the bleeds work well.

Don't get me wrong, I can't begin to tell you how many DoT-related KB's I've gotten especially on the burrowed spider who thinks they can just wait it out. I'll wait 10 seconds then attack his baby spider to keep him in combat and just auto attack it until he pops or bleeds out...
    Last edited by Irin19; Jun 20 2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r10 (active) Mini