We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

skirmish soldier choice

Hey all

I'm playing a burglar at lvl 58 and have encountered a lot of trouble with skirmishes. I tend to run in gambler or mischief with mainly blue traits.
    I have been trying to upgrade a soldier to help me but so far I've only achieved wasting points on soldiers that did not benefit me at all. What kind of soldier would be best for me? I've tried herbalist and bannerguard. The herbalist was unnecessary since I never had any problems staying at full or near full health and the bannerguard would take aggro off me and get himself killed first thing in every fight.
    Is there a soldier which can stay at the back, doing something useful and not grabbing my aggro?

Re: skirmish soldier choice

Sounds like you want an archer.
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

For solo skirms:

Try an archer (Make sure to build him for bleed skills. There is a HUGE difference in the damage from a bleed archer vs a crit archer)

You can also try a sage. (Build him for Single target skills if you don't want him to break your CC)
    Merridan - Burglar lvl 105 (Rank 12)
    Gormadan - Minstrel lvl 105 (Rank 4) : Traldan - Captain lvl 105 : Celebdan - Weaver (Rank 11)

thank you ^^

I agree with the suggestions above. I started with a Bannerman, but that didn't seem too helpful. I think the Archer and Sage are good choices, especially if solo and/or leveling.

But at 75 (and especially while grouping), I think the Herbalist is probably the best choice. I have no issues with CC or DPS, so having some morale/power restoration just seems to make things go smoother and faster.
    [CENTER] [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/mosby/"][COLOR=cyan]Mosby[/COLOR][/URL], Founder of [URL="http://www.thepalantiri.net"][COLOR=gold]The Palantíri[/COLOR][/URL] kinship (Landroval) - [URL="http://lotro-charts.tumblr.com/"]LotRO Charts Tumblr[/URL] - [URL="https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Translations"]Runes & Translations[/URL]

[COLOR=Silver][I]As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark.[/I] -Melville[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

The whole point of bannerguard is to take aggro - it helps a lot if you have positional damage modifiers. You probably didn't level up his traits enough. With heavy armor, evasion, and morale regeneration, my dude never dies even against Lieutenants.

But as Beleg said, Herbalist is also a good choice.
    [color=purple]Maedhroz ~ minstrel[/color] | [color=blue]Fenik ~ burglar[/color] | [color=red]Igot ~ lore master[/color] | [color=green]Nothinkin ~ hunter[/color]

You can't go wrong with a Herbalist/Warrior/Archer, but I personally have fun with/am successful with a Protector. It saves me a lot of pain when I'm engaging multiple mobs and want to get the most out of my positional damage bonuses.

i tried a few on my 3 burglars, but i found out that the protector is the best.
    he stays alive on all of the skirmishes (expect for the icy caverns where he dies sometime)

mind you he is maxed out (exept on my third one, but he is still only lvl 66)

for tank guys i should take a sage, the damage and slow are awesome.