We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Class

Ranger Class

Has anyone ever considered a Direct Ranger class???? I mean, imagine how awesome it would be... You know, with a couple good archery skills, a knife throw, only 1h without dual wield though, but a shield maybe....me and my friend made this idea together via email, and it was amazing, now this, on top of ANYTHING else, even vip for all players, would be the thing I would want most in LOTRO!!!!

Re: Ranger Class

I doubt we will every see a ranger class. As it sits right now we have a nice class spread going on and we don't really need another class atm... maybe when we get mounted combat we could use a new class that leans a little more toward the mounted side, but I doubt we will see that.

As it is right now turbine has limited the ranger to npcs and session plays including book quests and PvMP (must be outnumbered and there is a limit of 1 or 2). The lore describes rangers and highly skilled, therefore it appears (if you do a session play you will really see it) that turbine wants to keep rangers with that focus. Trying to *dumb* rangers down to balance out with other classes will ruin that impression.

Think of it this way... Does it make sense to have a ranger who is only comparable to a hunter?

I don't expect to ever see a ranger class in game... although maybe sometime we will see an instance that would have a person or two play a ranger session in a group.

No. Dunedain aren't exactly men. They're men of elvish descent that can live for hundreds of years. If they were introduced as a race (which I doubt would happen), they'd also be able to be Rune-Keepers.

sorry to burst your bubble. But it seems warner/turbine has replaced all thier programmers with fashion designers.Now get out those turbine points the models are heading down the walk way.

Quote Originally Posted by deliguy View Post
    sorry to burst your bubble. But it seems warner/turbine has replaced all thier programmers with fashion designers.Now get out those turbine points the models are heading down the walk way.
    Excuse me, what?

I'd say hunters come very close to hunters, so no, you can play as a "ranger" in the moors when outnumbered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhh1wL8nQXU

MT

There already is a Ranger Class. It is a Session Play class that is available to the Freep side when the Freeps are outnumbered. The Creeps have a Troll class available for their side.

We get to play a Ranger in the Epic Line as a Session Play character.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

"Thanks" Well.... I don't know, we could always ask for a new race!!!! Dunedain, Playable classes: Dunedain Ranger (replaces Hunter and burg) guard, champion, Rune-Keeper, and Warden. Maybe caps too......

Quote Originally Posted by PierreForever View Post
    "Thanks" Well.... I don't know, we could always ask for a new race!!!! Dunedain, Playable classes: Dunedain Ranger (replaces Hunter and burg) guard, champion, Rune-Keeper, and Warden. Maybe caps too......
    No. The Dunedain are a family. This is the same reason Beornings aren't a playable race. Regardless, as previously mentioned, Rangers ARE playable in PvMP session play. Having them as playable class would just be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    There already is a Ranger Class. It is a Session Play class that is available to the Freep side when the Freeps are outnumbered. The Creeps have a Troll class available for their side.

We get to play a Ranger in the Epic Line as a Session Play character.

Well why can't turbine take that Ranger, ramp it way down, getting rid of its health bonuses, And make it levelable instead of a moors epic 75 that can kill 10 crepps in 5 minutes....

Quote Originally Posted by Okamion View Post
    No. The Dunedain are a family. This is the same reason Beornings aren't a playable race. Regardless, as previously mentioned, Rangers ARE playable in PvMP session play. Having them as playable class would just be confusing.
    Yep.... ok.... whatever!!!!! I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE!!!!!

Yep.... ok.... whatever!!!!! I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE!!!!!
    You can't suggest something without being open to the possibility that people won't like it. You had a bad suggestion, it's not a big deal and it happens to all of us. Next time just think your suggestion through.

No. Dunedain aren't exactly men. They're men of elvish descent that can live for hundreds of years. If they were introduced as a race (which I doubt would happen), they'd also be able to be Rune-Keepers.
    The Dunedain weren't descended from Elves. It was Aragorn who had the unusual ancestry (bit of Elf, bit of Maia) that came from being descended from Beren and Luthien but on the whole the Dunedain weren't Elvish at all - they were the 'High Men', the descendants of the Edain who were blessed by the Valar for their part in defeating Morgoth. Nor did they still live for hundreds of years: Aragorn excepted, no latterday Dunadan would live anything like that long (e.g. Faramir lived to be 120). Even Aragorn only made it to 210.

So, they were still just Men, just a fancy variety of Men. No magical powers either, on the whole. (Aragorn's kingly power of healing was one obvious exception, but that came from that fancy ancestry of his).

Has anyone ever considered a Direct Ranger class????
    This has been suggested dozens, if not hundreds, of times. It probably hasn't been suggested as often as Beornings as a class, but it still qualifies as beating a dead horse.

The Rangers, like the Beornings, are neither a class nor a race. They're a family. In the case of the Rangers, a medium-sized, probably seriously inbred, extended family. In the case of the Beornings, since Grimbeorn son of Beorn is their chief at the time of the War of the Ring, there may be no more than a handful of Beorn's actual descendants, as distinguished from Men of the wooded regions who have joined his troop and, possibly, taken his name without being in any way related to them. And note that these Men may be known as Beornings but they haven't got the slightest trace of Beorn's abilities.

I read yesterday an interesting book* that pointed out how Scottish clans worked in the way I've described; the MacDonald clan, for instance, are not all descended from The Donald; many who were no relation joined the clan and took the MacDonald surname.

_____
    *Bryan Sykes, DNA USA, New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2012. There's a whole chapter on the MacDonalds and how their genetic traces do and don't match their surname.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Another dead horse reduced to a gooey puddle.
    "The LOTRO Store will offer convenience, not advantage." -Patience
    "These pots are only available in the store and they are not available via crafting. Nor do we have any plans for this to change right now." -Frelorn

You can't suggest something without being open to the possibility that people won't like it. You had a bad suggestion, it's not a big deal and it happens to all of us. Next time just think your suggestion through.
    I had thought it through....

Next up: Flying mounts!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000010cf6f/01008/signature.png]eofirth[/charsig]
    If people cannot write well, they cannot think well, and if they cannot think well, others will do their thinking for them.
    -George Orwell-

Quote Originally Posted by lordjimdudkiewicz View Post
    Another dead horse reduced to a gooey puddle.
    Yep.... thats what happened.... D:

What? U think a flying horse is just as likely as a ranger class?????

Quote Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
    Next up: Flying mounts!
    Along with Beorning class and race/sex change!

What? U think a flying horse is just as likely as a ranger class?????
    Yes.

Thumbs down Re: Ranger Class

Oh come on people....

Oh come on people....
    I'm sorry. You're going to have to give up on this idea, there are too many good reasons why it shouldn't be implamented. It has been suggested numerous times and rejected. Please move on.

I'm sorry. You're going to have to give up on this idea, there are too many good reasons why it shouldn't be implamented. It has been suggested numerous times and rejected. Please move on.

Yeah...... I found that out! x(

Nah, the Dunedain aren't all of Elvish descent, just their leaders for the most part. The extended lifespan was Illuvitar's gift to the Men of Houses Marach and Beor(which merged with Marach) when they settled and lived on the island of Numenor - also a gift to those men for being so helpful in the wars against Morgoth.

According to one of the legendary book deeds, there was a Man runekeeper, but he went insane due to his practice. I'm guessing that's Turbine's explanation as to why the runekeeper is the only class a Man cannot be.

I think we're good on classes and that adding more classes would be detrimental. Turbine would have to balance those classes. Balance is a huge pain. Plus, we'd have more class forums where people complain about the huge advantage other classes have over them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoogleKeithBoadwee View Post
    I think we're good on classes and that adding more classes would be detrimental. Turbine would have to balance those classes. Balance is a huge pain. Plus, we'd have more class forums where people complain about the huge advantage other classes have over them.
    Besides, do we really need ANOTHER man exclusive class?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast