We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Ranger Class

  1. #1

    Ranger Class

    Has anyone ever considered a Direct Ranger class???? I mean, imagine how awesome it would be... You know, with a couple good archery skills, a knife throw, only 1h without dual wield though, but a shield maybe....me and my friend made this idea together via email, and it was amazing, now this, on top of ANYTHING else, even vip for all players, would be the thing I would want most in LOTRO!!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    197

    Re: Ranger Class

    I doubt we will every see a ranger class. As it sits right now we have a nice class spread going on and we don't really need another class atm... maybe when we get mounted combat we could use a new class that leans a little more toward the mounted side, but I doubt we will see that.

    As it is right now turbine has limited the ranger to npcs and session plays including book quests and PvMP (must be outnumbered and there is a limit of 1 or 2). The lore describes rangers and highly skilled, therefore it appears (if you do a session play you will really see it) that turbine wants to keep rangers with that focus. Trying to *dumb* rangers down to balance out with other classes will ruin that impression.

    Think of it this way... Does it make sense to have a ranger who is only comparable to a hunter?

    I don't expect to ever see a ranger class in game... although maybe sometime we will see an instance that would have a person or two play a ranger session in a group.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    469

    Re: Ranger Class

    No. Dunedain aren't exactly men. They're men of elvish descent that can live for hundreds of years. If they were introduced as a race (which I doubt would happen), they'd also be able to be Rune-Keepers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    374

    Re: Ranger Class

    sorry to burst your bubble. But it seems warner/turbine has replaced all thier programmers with fashion designers.Now get out those turbine points the models are heading down the walk way.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    469

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by deliguy View Post
    sorry to burst your bubble. But it seems warner/turbine has replaced all thier programmers with fashion designers.Now get out those turbine points the models are heading down the walk way.
    Excuse me, what?

  6. #6

    Re: Ranger Class

    I'd say hunters come very close to hunters, so no, you can play as a "ranger" in the moors when outnumbered

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhh1wL8nQXU


    MT

  7. #7

    Re: Ranger Class

    There already is a Ranger Class. It is a Session Play class that is available to the Freep side when the Freeps are outnumbered. The Creeps have a Troll class available for their side.

    We get to play a Ranger in the Epic Line as a Session Play character.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  8. #8

    Re: Ranger Class

    "Thanks" Well.... I don't know, we could always ask for a new race!!!! Dunedain, Playable classes: Dunedain Ranger (replaces Hunter and burg) guard, champion, Rune-Keeper, and Warden. Maybe caps too......

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    469

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by PierreForever View Post
    "Thanks" Well.... I don't know, we could always ask for a new race!!!! Dunedain, Playable classes: Dunedain Ranger (replaces Hunter and burg) guard, champion, Rune-Keeper, and Warden. Maybe caps too......
    No. The Dunedain are a family. This is the same reason Beornings aren't a playable race. Regardless, as previously mentioned, Rangers ARE playable in PvMP session play. Having them as playable class would just be confusing.

  10. #10

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    There already is a Ranger Class. It is a Session Play class that is available to the Freep side when the Freeps are outnumbered. The Creeps have a Troll class available for their side.

    We get to play a Ranger in the Epic Line as a Session Play character.

    Well why can't turbine take that Ranger, ramp it way down, getting rid of its health bonuses, And make it levelable instead of a moors epic 75 that can kill 10 crepps in 5 minutes....

  11. #11

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Okamion View Post
    No. The Dunedain are a family. This is the same reason Beornings aren't a playable race. Regardless, as previously mentioned, Rangers ARE playable in PvMP session play. Having them as playable class would just be confusing.
    Yep.... ok.... whatever!!!!! I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE!!!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    469

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by PierreForever View Post
    Yep.... ok.... whatever!!!!! I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE!!!!!
    You can't suggest something without being open to the possibility that people won't like it. You had a bad suggestion, it's not a big deal and it happens to all of us. Next time just think your suggestion through.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    5,985

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Okamion View Post
    No. Dunedain aren't exactly men. They're men of elvish descent that can live for hundreds of years. If they were introduced as a race (which I doubt would happen), they'd also be able to be Rune-Keepers.
    The Dunedain weren't descended from Elves. It was Aragorn who had the unusual ancestry (bit of Elf, bit of Maia) that came from being descended from Beren and Luthien but on the whole the Dunedain weren't Elvish at all - they were the 'High Men', the descendants of the Edain who were blessed by the Valar for their part in defeating Morgoth. Nor did they still live for hundreds of years: Aragorn excepted, no latterday Dunadan would live anything like that long (e.g. Faramir lived to be 120). Even Aragorn only made it to 210.

    So, they were still just Men, just a fancy variety of Men. No magical powers either, on the whole. (Aragorn's kingly power of healing was one obvious exception, but that came from that fancy ancestry of his).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by PierreForever View Post
    Has anyone ever considered a Direct Ranger class????
    This has been suggested dozens, if not hundreds, of times. It probably hasn't been suggested as often as Beornings as a class, but it still qualifies as beating a dead horse.

    The Rangers, like the Beornings, are neither a class nor a race. They're a family. In the case of the Rangers, a medium-sized, probably seriously inbred, extended family. In the case of the Beornings, since Grimbeorn son of Beorn is their chief at the time of the War of the Ring, there may be no more than a handful of Beorn's actual descendants, as distinguished from Men of the wooded regions who have joined his troop and, possibly, taken his name without being in any way related to them. And note that these Men may be known as Beornings but they haven't got the slightest trace of Beorn's abilities.

    I read yesterday an interesting book* that pointed out how Scottish clans worked in the way I've described; the MacDonald clan, for instance, are not all descended from The Donald; many who were no relation joined the clan and took the MacDonald surname.

    _____
    *Bryan Sykes, DNA USA, New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2012. There's a whole chapter on the MacDonalds and how their genetic traces do and don't match their surname.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  15. #15

    Re: Ranger Class

    Another dead horse reduced to a gooey puddle.
    "The LOTRO Store will offer convenience, not advantage." -Patience
    "These pots are only available in the store and they are not available via crafting. Nor do we have any plans for this to change right now." -Frelorn

  16. #16

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Okamion View Post
    You can't suggest something without being open to the possibility that people won't like it. You had a bad suggestion, it's not a big deal and it happens to all of us. Next time just think your suggestion through.
    I had thought it through....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    157

    Re: Ranger Class

    Next up: Flying mounts!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000010cf6f/01008/signature.png]eofirth[/charsig]
    If people cannot write well, they cannot think well, and if they cannot think well, others will do their thinking for them.
    -George Orwell-

  18. #18

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by lordjimdudkiewicz View Post
    Another dead horse reduced to a gooey puddle.
    Yep.... thats what happened.... D:

  19. #19

    Re: Ranger Class

    What? U think a flying horse is just as likely as a ranger class?????

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    469

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
    Next up: Flying mounts!
    Along with Beorning class and race/sex change!

    Quote Originally Posted by PierreForever View Post
    What? U think a flying horse is just as likely as a ranger class?????
    Yes.

  21. #21

    Thumbs down Re: Ranger Class

    Oh come on people....

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    469

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by PierreForever View Post
    Oh come on people....
    I'm sorry. You're going to have to give up on this idea, there are too many good reasons why it shouldn't be implamented. It has been suggested numerous times and rejected. Please move on.

  23. #23

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Okamion View Post
    I'm sorry. You're going to have to give up on this idea, there are too many good reasons why it shouldn't be implamented. It has been suggested numerous times and rejected. Please move on.

    Yeah...... I found that out! x(

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    91

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by Okamion View Post
    No. Dunedain aren't exactly men. They're men of elvish descent that can live for hundreds of years. If they were introduced as a race (which I doubt would happen), they'd also be able to be Rune-Keepers.
    Nah, the Dunedain aren't all of Elvish descent, just their leaders for the most part. The extended lifespan was Illuvitar's gift to the Men of Houses Marach and Beor(which merged with Marach) when they settled and lived on the island of Numenor - also a gift to those men for being so helpful in the wars against Morgoth.

    According to one of the legendary book deeds, there was a Man runekeeper, but he went insane due to his practice. I'm guessing that's Turbine's explanation as to why the runekeeper is the only class a Man cannot be.

    I think we're good on classes and that adding more classes would be detrimental. Turbine would have to balance those classes. Balance is a huge pain. Plus, we'd have more class forums where people complain about the huge advantage other classes have over them.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    469

    Re: Ranger Class

    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleKeithBoadwee View Post
    I think we're good on classes and that adding more classes would be detrimental. Turbine would have to balance those classes. Balance is a huge pain. Plus, we'd have more class forums where people complain about the huge advantage other classes have over them.
    Besides, do we really need ANOTHER man exclusive class?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload