We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Burgs may be the worst class freep or creep in the moors

Just spent some time in a 1v1 circle on my RK and watch lots of burgs that were "good" die over and over to any class they tried to fight.

Like the other post said it realy is all gone. With full audacity you are fail as a burg about as fail as any claqss can get freep or creep.

Hope U7 changes this.

But, if you are leveling a burg for PvP take a good long hard look at the warg first.

Re: Burgs may be the worst class freep or creep in the moors

Meh. We definitely aren't close to what we used to be, that's for sure.

All I can say is Pre U5, if I ever lost (no cds of course) in a 1v1, it was against R12+ creeps. And even that was rare. Now after U6 I'm getting my ### handed to me by people who never stood a chance pre U6. But hey, what can you do.

I wish there was some middle ground in these things. I used to hate the days when Burg was easy mode to kill almost anything. But I don't wish for them to be cannon fodder either. I haven't 1v1'd a burg since 6, so I don't know if what you are experiencing is a broken class, or just a tough adjustment to becoming just another class in the moors after easy street. If it is broken , then that is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by ifreborn1 View Post
    Just spent some time in a 1v1 circle on my RK and watch lots of burgs that were "good" die over and over to any class they tried to fight.

Like the other post said it realy is all gone. With full audacity you are fail as a burg about as fail as any claqss can get freep or creep.

Hope U7 changes this.

But, if you are leveling a burg for PvP take a good long hard look at the warg first.
    Good burgs are still good. Bad burgs are now obviously bad. I'd guess you saw the latter.

Cool. I may be on a small server but I've only been owned by our r11 spider. Every single other creep I dominate or at the very least win 75% of my matches. Most creeps just refuse to 1v1 me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    Good burgs are still good. Bad burgs are now obviously bad. I'd guess you saw the latter.
    if they did to your mini what they did to my burg $50 says you would not be playing this game or your mini.

Last edited by ifreborn1; May 03 2012 at 04:34 AM.

Yes things have changed out in the moors but burgs are still very good. I have probably had over one hundred 1 v 1 fights since update 6 (with my audacity ranging from 1 to 7) and I have probably won more than 95% of them.

Low ranked creeps of any class are still easy kills.

High Ranked Creeps:

Reavers: Only one reaver consistently beats me (and he beat me consistently before update 6)

Defilers: If I get my interrupts off vs the flies I win. If I dont then I run out of power and lose.

Warleaders: A good war leader can actually put up a fight now but I've never lost to a war leader

Blackarrows: They die pretty easily unless they are using store bought items. Even then they usually die but its definitely harder

Spiders: Can actually put up a fight now but only one spider on our server has beaten me

Wargs: There is a BIG difference between a skilled warg and an unskilled warg. Unskilled are no challenge and skilled wargs put up a good fight but still usually lose. (I havent had a chance to 1 v 1 the warg on our server that seems to be the consensus best warg post update 6)

The main difference I see in the moors post update 6 is that if a warg pack ambushes you after update 6 you have to stop what you are doing and flee immediately. (Before update 6 you could hit touch and go and finish what you were doing before you had to worry about the warg ambushers.) I have seen your multiple posts complaining about burgs but I honestly have to say I am not seeing it.

-I was attacked by 2 rank 8+ wargs in grothum yesterday while I had NPCs on me. I killed both of the wargs and had plenty of cooldowns left unused.

- I ambushed 3 rank 7+ BAs in HH the other day. I was hoping to get one kill before I had to flee. I killed one and HiPSd. Then I went back and killed the other two... (I did have to blow all of my cooldowns.)

I don't believe the creeps on my server are unskilled compared to the creeps on other servers so I have to think the burgs you are watching are doing something wrong...
    Last edited by Mystarr; May 03 2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Merridan - Burglar lvl 100 (Rank 12)
    Gormadan - Minstrel lvl 100 (Rank 4) : Traldan - Captain lvl 100 : Celebdan - Weaver (Rank 11)

Do you use Merridan KO or Touch and go on spar against creep??

Quote Originally Posted by Bazkanaggi View Post
    Do you use Merridan KO or Touch and go on spar against creep??
    If I have skill with a cd of 5 mins or less I consider it fair game to use. (That's why its on my skill bar.) The only skill I won't use in a prearranged spar is Ready and Able (Blowing a 30min cool-down isn't realistically repeatable fight after fight so using it wouldn't be representative of what I can do on a consistent basis.)

I usually don't need to to use either of them, but against a tough opponent if I need the skill I use it. Its also worth noting that I use 3 pandemonium so my knives out stacks a nasty bleed. AS an additional note, the reaver I mentioned that consistently beats me wins regardless of whether or not I use knives out or touch and go.
    Last edited by Mystarr; May 03 2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Gormadan - Minstrel lvl 100 (Rank 4) : Traldan - Captain lvl 100 : Celebdan - Weaver (Rank 11)

On my filer I can pretty consistently make burglars HIPS and run, I usually live long enough to get to NPCs for backup or to get flies online.

Before R6, I would be cannon fodder to a good burglar, although with a good rotation I could make them blow cool downs.

That is a good pont about update 6. If a healing class (or a guard with sprint or a warden etc) wants to get away from a 1 v 1 then they can pretty well make it halfway across the moors without dying.

I disagree. Burgs are capable of killing anything and everything* 1v1, without KO, TnG, or pots. For general moorsing, add in the HUGE advantage of being able to stealth and pick your fights, hips away, and hit like a truck and I have no idea where you're coming from.

I've tried playing guardian recently and its been pretty painful, compared to burg. Worst freep class? Probly guard, right now. Ya, they can still 1v1... reavers and wargs.... but 1v1'ing =/= moorsing, especially when you play on a server where no one will even attempt to fight you 1v1.

*on Meneldor and amongst creeps that were on Bullroarer to test U6
    Last edited by harman097; May 03 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Don't feed the troll.

Burgs aren't the EZ mode god class anymore, but they are far from being weak, or the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFreddy View Post
    Cool. I may be on a small server but I've only been owned by our r11 spider. Every single other creep I dominate or at the very least win 75% of my matches. Most creeps just refuse to 1v1 me.
    them 8 greenie freavers.

The tipping point is that invisible mark that each must find. And in the end some will sit on the side lines while others join the fight. But once the fight is joined the onrushing events will gather momentum and all will be effected by the great struggle and even the fan boy will find no refuge from the storm. We are now approaching that point, that place from which there is no turning back, some will say yes, while others hold back and cringe before the foreboding warnings.

Great changes are in the wind and the forces of change are gathering as the approaching storm looms large on the horizon. Many are seeking the shelter of fail with the hope that these changes will pass them by and they can again feel the warmth of yesterdays. While others are rushing to fill the breach torn in the fabric of the class by those forces who would not only destroy the tomorrow's but the yesterday's. For the fair weather burg the tipping point will never come, for they will continue to push that point farther and farther down the road. They will stand under that sheltered tree as the battle swirls round them and their daggers will never know the taste of blood and ownage. But wiser men will stand and say, "no more", for they have reached that place from which there is no retreat---The Tipping Point!

Sounds to me like your "wiser men" ARE the fair weather burgs. Have fun under that tree.

I'll be out in the moors shredding things while you sit in the shade and moan endlessly.
    Last edited by Mystarr; May 03 2012 at 06:10 PM.

MUCH easier on burg than hunter. Mini, of course, is god. Warden - haven't tried yet but I imagine I'd last a long time and bore the creep to death.

Do you mind sharing your strategies for BAs and Reavers (I hardly ever attack other classes as explained below)? Note that I am playing on a Russian server with Isengard U4 (or is it U5?). I run 5 QK with legendary. I have 4 pieces of raiding gear + Dragon cloak, 2nd age legendary weapon, 1600 agility, ~7100 morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystarr View Post
    Reavers: Only one reaver consistently beats me (and he beat me consistently before update 6)
    Pre Isengard I never bothered to attack one without Ready and Able as a good Reaver will kite my first Touch and Go. Then he would engage me and hit like a train. Nowdays even a rank 5 one requires me to use Touch & Go, otherwise I am risking half-morale in two blows which ends the fight for me after ~5 secs.

Defilers: If I get my interrupts off vs the flies I win. If I dont then I run out of power and lose.
    I do not want to buy store items that grant immunity to fear/slowdowns. Neither I am able to insvest time into in-game equivalents. So I never engage one outside of raid vs raid fights. A good Defiler will go to full health and counter attack quite efficiently while I am slowed down and under fear debuff.

Warleaders: A good war leader can actually put up a fight now but I've never lost to a war leader
    Next to impossible to have 1 vs 1 on my server.

Blackarrows: They die pretty easily unless they are using store bought items. Even then they usually die but its definitely harder
    A decent BA will slow you down the first thing and then kite you by making 2-3k instant shots at the same time that would go through Touch and Go quite easily. Again, I do not want to buy any store items to get immune or get run speed boost. I normally start the fight by putting two DOTs (Trip->CA->WPS) and then HIPS, then a good BA would cast a Fire Trap immediately and stand in the center of it.

If he does not do it, I win. If he does, then at this point I have a choice of attacking and interrupting the Fire Trap and dying because I am still slowed down and DOTed by his traps or simply quit the fight.

Post Isengard I never manage to survive until BA uses his own Evade or racial heal...

Spiders: Can actually put up a fight now but only one spider on our server has beaten me
    Never bothered to attack one without HIPS to outlast their Webs and Trapdoor. I used to play a weaver and could kill any burg if I managed to get some distance prior to Isengard. I did not really have 1 vs 1 encounters since Isengard came out. I think it shoud be the same regardless if I Riddle to close distance since it is often gets resisted. I seldom have a spare HIPS these days to attack spiders anyway.

Wargs: There is a BIG difference between a skilled warg and an unskilled warg. Unskilled are no challenge and skilled wargs put up a good fight but still usually lose. (I havent had a chance to 1 v 1 the warg on our server that seems to be the consensus best warg post update 6)
    Do not bother to attack one unless there is a ranged freep nearby. Most of the wargs on my server will quit the fight after half-morale or they simply do not play solo.

Quote Originally Posted by kirka View Post
    Do you mind sharing your strategies for BAs and Reavers (I hardly ever attack other classes as explained below)? Note that I am playing on a Russian server with Isengard U4 (or is it U5?). I run 5 QK with legendary. I have 4 pieces of raiding gear + Dragon cloak, 2nd age legendary weapon, 1600 agility, ~7100 morale.
    Regarding gear. I use 3 unseen & 3 pandemonium. http://my.lotro.com/home/character/1/144959613006486557 (That puts me at about 8300 morale and 1840 agility with audacity 7)

I consider the cloak from the pits (3man) http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Armour:Sarchol to be better than the agility cloak. (I will swap on the agility cloak if I am going for a quick kill. Maybe vs a low ranked warg where I want to kill it before it can HiPS and escape.)

I never use any store bought items but I use scrolls and cooked food all the time. If I am just out solo in the moors I always have def/off scrolls active in addition to regen food, 10% coffee, and wound resist food.

I also always have moors barter stun, root, & fear pots

On legendary item legacies
    Weapon:
    - crit response skill damage
    - pos surprise strike from stealth
    - IFA cd
    - sub stab damage (optional)
    - GS cd (Yes, I have 2 capstone cds on my weapon. I like to be able to use it for qk and gambler builds)
    - trick range (dont bother going to the moors without this)
    (-I keep ready and able cd on a swap weapon)

Burg Bag: (Its an old lvl 65 that had 7 legacies)
    - Crit Response skill damage
    - Positional Damage
    - Addle cd (a MUST on any burg bag)
    - gamble chance
    - healing misc glee
    - stealth speed
    - hips cd

I also always keep the +8% OoC move speed buff active from the Moria pre-order cloak. If I forget to activate it I can use the necklace of the rabbit for 8% OoC move speed buff.

I also always carry a stack of the +15% in combat move speed buff scrolls that you can get in Lothlorien (barter for branches)

REAVER
    Pre Isengard I never bothered to attack one without Ready and Able as a good Reaver will kite my first Touch and Go. Then he would engage me and hit like a train. Nowdays even a rank 5 one requires me to use Touch & Go, otherwise I am risking half-morale in two blows which ends the fight for me after ~5 secs.
    My strats are gambler specific but here goes: Surprise strike from stealth then dust in the eyes. Run up the crit chain and use feint attack. Then use start twist for stun and aim/move behind surprise strike again. Use gamblers strike to upgrade the damaging gamble to tier 6. Pop knives out. Chase him and use disable/counter defense to hit from a range while he runs. When he stops running use clever retort to put a disabling gamble on him. Upgrade it to tier 6 with gamblers strike. Beat him mercilessly for 15s while debuff is up. (If he runs chase him and pepper him with disable/counter defense. Or riddle him to catch up. Or hips and use 10s 100% run speed to catch him and surprise strike again or use misc glee to mez him for 1 sec/hit him until he wakes up/use gambler strike to mez him again for a sec/hit him some more.) He is probably already dead, but if not you can always use exploit opening to stun him for 1 sec and hit him until he wakes up etc. If the fight is going really badly you can always use touch and go.

DEFILER
    I do not want to buy store items that grant immunity to fear/slowdowns. Neither I am able to insvest time into in-game equivalents. So I never engage one outside of raid vs raid fights. A good Defiler will go to full health and counter attack quite efficiently while I am slowed down and under fear debuff.
    A good defiler is tough. Dont bother unless you have moors fear pots and addle on 5s cooldown. I also usually switch to 5 unseen armor to fight a defiler. Surprise strike from stealth. dust in eyes. run up crit chain & end with feint attack. start twist and use aim/move behind for another surprise strike. gamblers strike to upgrade damaging gamble to tier 6. Pot fear when he uses it. (Audacity will make future fears very short duration) Always watch him closely and if he is ever stands still addle him immediately. If he goes back into induction then use glee mez or riddle or exploit opening etc to stop him. If he goes back into induction you can addle again by now etc. If you ever get him to 2k or less then use hips and surprise strike to end the fight. Defilers are nasty...

BA
    A decent BA will slow you down the first thing and then kite you by making 2-3k instant shots at the same time that would go through Touch and Go quite easily. Again, I do not want to buy any store items to get immune or get run speed boost. I normally start the fight by putting two DOTs (Trip->CA->WPS) and then HIPS, then a good BA would cast a Fire Trap immediately and stand in the center of it.

If he does not do it, I win. If he does, then at this point I have a choice of attacking and interrupting the Fire Trap and dying because I am still slowed down and DOTed by his traps or simply quit the fight.

Post Isengard I never manage to survive until BA uses his own Evade or racial heal...
    touch & go right before you hit him with surprise strike from stealth. dust in eyes. (If you have 75%+ evade going and he has 20%+ miss chance its hard for him to get a slow on you in the first place.) Beat on him until he pops his evade. Once he pops his evade startling twist him (its a resist skill check not an evade). He cant evade while he is stunned. After he pots stun (or it wears off) use glee to mez him. (dont put bleeds on BAs. You dont want your bleeds to wake him up.) Hit him with aim surprise strike and hit him as much as you can while he wakes up (he cant evade while he is mezed/waking up) Hit him with gamblers strike to renew the mez and hit him until he wakes up. exploit opening him and hit him while he is stunned/waking up. If he gets away from you then riddle him to catch up or use hips for 10s 100% run speed to catch him and surprise strike from stealth again. He is proabably dead by now...

WEAVER
    Never bothered to attack one without HIPS to outlast their Webs and Trapdoor. I used to play a weaver and could kill any burg if I managed to get some distance prior to Isengard. I did not really have 1 vs 1 encounters since Isengard came out. I think it shoud be the same regardless if I Riddle to close distance since it is often gets resisted. I seldom have a spare HIPS these days to attack spiders anyway.
    Keep finese above 6k and you will rarely ever get resists. Use hips if they web. Get moors ring with 3 poison cure clicky. (You can swap it in and use the clicky with no delay.) If its a high ranked spider I usually wait until I am within 30s of a kill and riddle the pet. They cant eat it for the heal while it is mez'd

WARG
    Do not bother to attack one unless there is a ranged freep nearby. Most of the wargs on my server will quit the fight after half-morale or they simply do not play solo.
    Pretty much same strat as a reaver except save glee mez etc for when they start getting low on health. Then try to stun/chain mez them long enough for kill before they can hips/sprint away
    Last edited by Mystarr; May 04 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Burgs may be the worst class freep or creep in the moors

Thanks a lot for putting this together, I found quite a few good pieces of advice.

Regarding gear. I use 3 unseen & 3 pandemonium. http://my.lotro.com/home/character/1/144959613006486557 (That puts me at about 8300 morale and 1840 agility with audacity 7)

I consider the cloak from the pits (3man) http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Armour:Sarchol to be better than the agility cloak. (I will swap on the agility cloak if I am going for a quick kill. Maybe vs a low ranked warg where I want to kill it before it can HiPS and escape.)
    That's something to look forward as we only have Isen plus old scirmish raids on our server ATM.

I never use any store bought items but I use scrolls and cooked food all the time. If I am just out solo in the moors I always have def/off scrolls active in addition to regen food, 10% coffee, and wound resist food.
    Same for me apart from scrolls since I can not craft them myself and I have renew them after each defeat. Should be good investement though. I have 21+% of resistence with food. What's "10% coffee"?

On legendary item legacies
    Weapon:
    - crit response skill damage
    - pos surprise strike from stealth
    - IFA cd
    - sub stab damage (optional)
    - GS cd (Yes, I have 2 capstone cds on my weapon. I like to be able to use it for qk and gambler builds)
    - trick range (dont bother going to the moors without this)
    (-I keep ready and able cd on a swap weapon)
    I assume you have 1st age. I used to have a similar weapon sometime ago. And I recently decided to try out bleeds legacy instead of SS one. Although I do not seem to survive that long to get the value from it unless I use warg strategy of hitting and getting away asap leaving it to some else to finish the job.

Burg Bag: (Its an old lvl 65 that had 7 legacies)
    - Positional Damage
    - gamble chance
    - healing misc glee
    - stealth speed
    - hips cd
    I have hips and stealth legacies on two other separate bags. The main has

- Positional Damage
    - healing misc glee
    - healing pulses

plus incoming healing close to cap. I will have to adandon healing part if I switch to Gambler. That is someting I always hated.

I also always carry a stack of the +15% in combat move speed buff scrolls that you can get in Lothlorien (barter for branches)
    I did not know they worked in Moors. Going to get a bunch. I still keep an old Loth duo set that reflects damage that I used to wear for last DN boss fight. Does it work in Moors too? Although damage reflection is low anyway.

On strats: I can see that you resembled to Gambler. I was previously thinking that I was doing rather badly with 5 QK and was thinking to exchange Crit response for bleed stack chance. Although we do not any Gambler specific gear yet.

A question: bleed legacy still does not affect gambles, does it?

I can also see that you save any CC skills for later times in a fight. I normally start with traited Trip or EO after SS or CA, that's probably a bad idea. Although most of the creeps on our server run with barter stun pots, so they would pot out any form of CC if they feel it is a good time.

I also assume that you use Loth scrolls for BA, Defiler and probably Reaver fights.

Do you ever use WPS?

Otherwise your strats make perfect sense.

I like use 5 Unseen pieces (Helm, Shoulder(s), boots, , jacket, leggings and Pande piece gloves)
    7733 morale, 2155 agility, 7,3k finesse, 31,7% tactical mitigation. No need use scrolls, food etc just Quiet knife.
    Im not use stuns or cd´s on spar, but still won some spars I think that is fair, cuz must of creep classes can´t do nothing if i use my "ezmode i win buttons".

Quote Originally Posted by kirka View Post
    Same for me apart from scrolls since I can not craft them myself and I have renew them after each defeat. Should be good investement though. I have 21+% of resistence with food. What's "10% coffee"?
    Coffee is crafted food from cooks. Normal version gives +5% run speed (even in combat) crit version gives +10% run speed (even in combat). I consider coffee one of the most important things a burg can use to counter the various creep slows.

I assume you have 1st age. I used to have a similar weapon sometime ago. And I recently decided to try out bleeds legacy instead of SS one. Although I do not seem to survive that long to get the value from it unless I use warg strategy of hitting and getting away asap leaving it to some else to finish the job.
    Since I run gambler I have trouble fitting the cunning attack (red line) trait into my build. This means my (untraited) cunning attack bleeds are less effective then my surprise strikes. If I was running QK I would consider the bleed damage legacy.

I have hips and stealth legacies on two other separate bags. The main has

- Positional Damage
    - healing misc glee
    - healing pulses

plus incoming healing close to cap. I will have to abandon healing part if I switch to Gambler. That is something I always hated.
    I almost consider extra glee healing pulses a wasted legacy now. If you are spamming subtle stab your glee will be on about a 20s cooldown. Even without the extra pulses legacy you will have healing pulses running for 18s. When you pop your next glee (about 20s after the first one) the new pulses replace the pulse from the first glee (they don't stack). This means that you never actually get any use out of the extra pulses if you are spamming sub stab and glee when cds are up. Id replace the glee pulses legacy with something else.

A question: bleed legacy still does not affect gambles, does it?
    I don't think so. It didn't used to but I haven't tested it in a while

I can also see that you save any CC skills for later times in a fight. I normally start with traited Trip or EO after SS or CA, that's probably a bad idea. Although most of the creeps on our server run with barter stun pots, so they would pot out any form of CC if they feel it is a good time.
    I kind of play it by ear on a case by case basis. In general, I tend to use CC to counter various things my opponent is trying to do. (Waste their evade, interrupt their inductions, keep them from kiting me, prevent them from fleeing, etc)

I also assume that you use Loth scrolls for BA, Defiler and probably Reaver fights.
    I usually save them for when I am running for my life from a pack of wargs!!! The +10% in combat run buff from coffee usually suffices for most fights. However, if a BA, weaver, spider, etc was doing a particularly annonying job of kiting me then I might use one of the loth scrolls to put an end to the kiting

Do you ever use WPS?
    Since I am not using the Draigoch armor the induction makes it impractical. Even if I were using the Draigoch armor I would consider bleeds situational at best. (I don't want my own bleeds to break all of the CCing I do as a gambler burg.)
    Last edited by Mystarr; May 04 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Coffee is crafted food from cooks. Normal version gives +5% run speed (even in combat) crit version gives +10% run speed (even in combat). I consider coffee one of the most important things a burg can use to counter the various creep slows.
    Yes, found it. It looks like it will come as a drop recipe with the next update on our server.

I almost consider extra glee healing pulses a wasted legacy now
    I just have there for a few points left over. It may be a good idea to replace it with Vitality.

Thanks for other comments.

Quote Originally Posted by harman097 View Post
    stuff
    You need to 1v1 my spider on your burg again on bullroarer

Thanks Merridan, great post!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast