We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How is Warden class?

Browsing the classes I saw Warden and want to give it a try...but of course I have a lot of questions...if they could be answered would be great:

1) How's Warden in PvM?
    2) How's Warden in Raiding?
    3) Will I be able to solo most of content? By that I mean, don't be helpless in every quest.
    4) I saw on the topics that the class is changed everytime, is hard to compare for someone new, is it "fixed" or "improved" now?
    5) Can Wardens finish deeds as fast as a DPS class?
    6) Is it wanted in groups?
    7) Says is a tank, can do the job as good as a Guardian?
    8) Anything else new players should be aware about the class? Be pros or cons.

I know the best answers are to I try it myself but I want some feedback before I purchase it. I don't mind playing a character that might level slowly...just I don't want to have to beg quests to advance. Anyways thanks.

Re: How is Warden class?

1) How's Warden in PvM?
    PvMP - arguably OP (especially from the creeps).

In the right hands OK, most warden players would probably find it difficult to raid successfully

3) Will I be able to solo most of content? By that I mean, don't be helpless in every quest.
    Yes, one of the easiest solo classes

4) I saw on the topics that the class is changed everytime, is hard to compare for someone new, is it "fixed" or "improved" now?
    Several updates have occurred lately. Update 6 was by far the largest and probably considered as close to a full revamp as anything I've seen in this game.

No, they have less DPS and little AoE. Compared to a champ I would consider it slower.

Depends on if you're good enough. Tanks are in demand usually - whether or not they'll want a warden is something you can prove to them.

That's the million dollar question. I lean toward guardian is better built for this game's mechanics. Many will argue the other way, especially in this sub-forum.

This class does not make a good alt class due to the memorization of the gambits. It is as advanced as this game gets, just to do your simplest interrupt takes three clicks (or two clicks if you use a mastery). Good luck.

1) Fantastic in the right hands, however, on the flip side, fights can become very drawn out and slow in bad hands
    2) Good, but I would think guardians are preferred tanks for isen because of their naturally higher defenses, whereas the warden specializes in aggro management and must build up defenses
    3) With ease.
    4) Some very important changes were made so that the warden is no longer nearly as squishy as it was before Update 6. A couple of changes were drastic, but none overly so.
    5) No. You can round up greater numbers of mobs to slowly take down, but it will take more time than a champ or AOE traited hunter, for example.
    6) Very often, a warden is the most desired tank on my server at least. Guardians are nice, but wardens are better, especially if you're taking heavy dps-ers along who need top notch threat from the tank.
    7) The job depends on what job. I think as of right now, the end-game orthanc raids, as I mentioned before, are more of the area of the guardian, while 3-mans, 6-mans, and less heavy hitting areas are places where the warden excels. However, I will say this: some raids are actually easier with a warden if you have a very good healer and want to blitz through the content -- a warden can generate a lot of aggro in short time.
    8) It takes time to master. Power leveling a warden from level 1 to 75 in 3 weeks may be all very well, but it will take much more than 3 weeks to master the class as a whole, learning what patterns of gambits to hit, how to react quickly if you need a certain gambit within seconds, memorizing gambits, etc. It's arguably the most complicated class in the game.
    RIP Milkmefondly 2014

In short, it's not: Is the warden up to the task? It's: Are you up to it?
    [url=http://www.fotos-hochladen.net][img]http://img3.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/lotrosiglhf2nsgumk.jpg[/img][/url]
    [size=3][font=calibri][color=violet]Ethedor - [DE]Maiar - Warden[/size][/color][/font]
    [size=2][font=calibri][color=violet]Be serious - take it easy.[/size][/color][/font]

Quote Originally Posted by bacho View Post
    In short, it's not: Is the warden up to the task? It's: Are you up to it?
    This

Totally Agree with the previous posters: Bottom line- it is too easy to play this class badly, you can get away with it soloing content but in any fellowship bad choices get shown up in a big way.

If you only run with kin mates then fine they will understand / help you improve, If you spend time running in PuGs then you have to be the best eveytime or you will get a bad rep.

Average Gaurdian >> Average Warden hence most PuG's if the leader or someone in fellowship does not know how good you are will prefer a Guardian to tank

Great Warden >> Great Guardian What makes a Great Warden ... YOU but you have to know the class inside out as both Bond007 and Mysterion said.

If you want to Raid / Fellowship with your Warden it cannot be your little used alt - situational awareness, the instinctive I need that gambit now and probably this one in 20secs doesn't come by logging once every 2 weeks to run a 3man instance
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/23221000000168bff/signature.png]Aidlywo[/charsig]

Getting a Gold Class Item "Soon™" - Currently running 999th ITA Instance

I'll answer what I can

1) How's Warden in PvM?
    Personally I think it's great once you learn the ins and outs. Thankfully the game progresses you through them so it's not overwhelming. There is some self discovery (bleed, DOT and HOT chains) but otherwise when I am out solo or with maybe 1 or 2 other people they are always impressed by the mobs I can run. Example. I am at level 50 questing in Eregion right now. 25 quests in and I have only died once (and that was attempting to solo a small fellowship quest 2 levels above me, and I almost made it).

I haven't done a ton of endgame, so no help from me yet. I do know that the quests I have run (Red Maid, Barrows, Forsaken Inn, etc) I have been able to both Tank and DPS rather easily. Taking on the Red Maid at level 43 with a RK, Cap and Hunter I was the only one NOT to bite it during the battle against the 2 wights.

The only area so far I've had issues with is the later parts of Angmar (as stated I'm at level 50 now). In defense of the class, a lot of those quests are small fellowship and I was attempting them on Orange or Yellow.

Tweaked would be a better word. The Warden is still the warden, you just have to roll with the punches. Remember, this isn't a "set it and forget it" class. You actually have to fight your battles. Your Warden is only as good as the chains and commands that you use.

Haven't played another DPS class yet, been focusing on RK and Warden since I started.

Once again, not a lot of end game raiding, I've yet to be turned down for being a Warden. I will state that a lot of the F2P people will be asking you questions about the class.

See above answers. Also read the boards on Warden Thread. A Guardian is good at quick pulls, Warden is more threat over time.

Be prepared to memorize a lot of commands/gambits. My advice is to write them down somewhere. Up to level 40 I had a cheat sheet that listed my gambits, what they did in each stance (bleed, heal, buff, etc). Also get used to a lot of screaming. My Warden started out as a male, but I quickly tired of what sounded like someone going to the bathroom every few seconds. I play a female Warden and just pretend I have PMS most of the time
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e4161/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Aidlywo View Post
    Great Warden >> Great Guardian What makes a Great Warden ... YOU but you have to know the class inside out as both Bond007 and Mysterion said.
    Disagree with this. A great player is a great player, whatever the toon. Even a great hunter is great. There is nothing about a Guardian that makes it sub-par in a great players hands.

IMO

Great Warden = Great Guardian
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000001745d1/01003/signature.png]Imyr[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeger_Wulf View Post
    Disagree with this. A great player is a great player, whatever the toon. Even a great hunter is great. There is nothing about a Guardian that makes it sub-par in a great players hands.

IMO

Great Warden = Great Guardian
    Disagree with this.

Great Warden < Great Guardian

due to threat tools and mitigations

Glad we have each scenario discussed now.

I have played other games ie..Asherons Call, WoWC, Everquest, and a little space gaming. This is by far THE most complicated class to learn that I have ever played in any game.And in saying that it is what has drawn me to this class and keeps me playing it. Havent done any end game stuff(not high enuf Lvl) yet..but I have run almost everything solo so far..and honestly the only time I run into problems is when i get overconfident and try and run group instances/content by myself. I personaly like the gambit system..but it is hard to master..and in saying that..if you want to "master this class" you got to really work at it.The last update has put the class in a better place, not perfect by any means, but has really helped.This is defenetly not an alt class. But I will also tell you that the help you can get here in the class forum has always helped me imensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    Great Warden < Great Guardian

Dont make your opinions base on your tanking (i also never make this) - this should be also ignoredfrom a sceptic player XD

1.Warden is too OP for PvMp. Can do everithing... dps, from melee, or range, heals himself... so now nearly unbeatable in 1v1, also against a warleaders can do boring long duels XD

2.If u want to raidingwith pugs you must be very good, known as good warden (that is rare..). Best if u begin raiding with kin, so u can learn things there, also a very patient and tolerant kin needed to this, coz it takes lomg timeto learn.

3.Yes at the moment it can solo near everyithing... All open world mobs, or just solo tank Draigoch (raid boss dragon, i mean without healer)... etc.

4.Defense is fixed (as our mitigation was low, we got some new B/P/E effects, and crit defense.). Our self heals & morale-leeches was also "fixed", but i like saying improwed here. Class had a full rewamp, and i think it is stronger than ever (also more complicated)

5.Can finish deed fast. Have a lifetap damage rating bonus legacy, and pull every mob (min20), so it can be fast. Champions do a lot more aoe dmg but can survive such large pulls. Also if arent too much of that mob type the deeding can be boring.
    !!! Deeding ist the bestpossibility to practice your mastery skill using.

6.If u are known as good warden then yes. If not than many leader will inv you, but not all, inviting new or unknown wardens often makes problems.

7.Yes. Also Guardians work is a lot more easy. So medicore guard can seems tank perfect, and medicore warden is terrible many times. Wardnes having a lot more useful tools what guardians never have (self heal, morale leech, one fellow heal, Aoe fear, and alsocan raise up their B/P/E chance up to 75% (included 25% partial) without using any survival skill, but having survival skill too which rises your mitigations with 40% to maximum 90%. Warden need 1 thing STUN PROTECTION, if stunned that easily can make wipe.

8.A lot time takes to master this class, also has a lot of possibilities. Advanced class, so hard to play, if u play it well it is very strong (alongside with loremaster and burgular(this dontneed to play very good to feel u are epic XD).
    Never make warden alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Leri927 View Post
    1.Warden is too OP for PvMp.
    Until you get hit by Improved Flies. Even a shield-capstoned Determination warden can't do much without power. You can't even build DBD to fix that without power to start with... Well, you can fire it once if you happen to get it into Battle Memory on the way down, but flies make us very "not overpowered."