We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How to keep/ secure bound items?

Situation:
    I have outgrown my standard house and wish to upgrade to a delauxe house. I have cycled thru all interior, exterior and container held items with the house. All except two items appear to be non-bound, which is a good thing. Unfortunately the two items in question are very nice and critical for me to keep/secure. I have cycled thru all characters to see if the two items in questin are bound to any of them and -no- they appear not to be. Therefore, I can only conclude that the two items in question were either bound to already deleted characters or to my one remaining but disabled character (who happens to be the owner of the current standard house). (Disabled meaning he is greyed out on the log in screen and I do not have an active slot for him, nor do I particularly want to reactivate him at this point)

So I have several questions:
    First an easy one. If I buy another house do I automatically sell/abandon the old house? Or must I first sell/abandon the old one before being allowed to buy a new one?

Second. If I buy a new house will the items in the old house transfer automatically to the new house? If so, then life is good and easy.

Third. If the items do not transfer automaticlaly then I will presume that it is wisest to physically remove and secure all items from the old house within individual characters inventories/vaults. True?

Fourth and the more difficult question. The two items mentioned back at the beginning, that appear to be bound to someone but apparently not a current character. Sooo, the two items are either bound to a deleted character or my one disabled character. No idea what will happen to those items if I sell the house. Will they simply dissappear if they belonged to a deleted character or be reassigned to one of my current characters? or if they belong to the one disabled character will they end up in his inbox only to dissappear as he isnt able to be activiated? How do I keep/secure them?

Finally, The two items are very important to me and I have not seen a way to replace them in Middle Earth or in the Turbine store. Of course there may be a way that I am unaware of. The two items are "Colourful Songbird" and "Pesky Dormouse".

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
    G

Re: How to keep/ secure bound items?

Quote Originally Posted by EldarGrace View Post
    First an easy one. If I buy another house do I automatically sell/abandon the old house? Or must I first sell/abandon the old one before being allowed to buy a new one?
    No, you must abandon your current house before buying a new one. You'll get a refund of any maintenance fees you paid ahead.

Second. If I buy a new house will the items in the old house transfer automatically to the new house? If so, then life is good and easy.
    When you abandon your house, any items you haven't removed (including in storage chests) will be put into housing escrow for a short period of time (a couple weeks I think). You can access the escrow from any vault keeper. Any bound items will be in their owners' escrow. Unbound items will go into the owner's escrow, I believe.

Third. If the items do not transfer automaticlaly then I will presume that it is wisest to physically remove and secure all items from the old house within individual characters inventories/vaults. True?
    I'd definitely recommend this, since the owner (and its escrow) is currently inaccessible to you. In fact, it might be only the owner can abandon the house.

Fourth and the more difficult question. The two items mentioned back at the beginning, that appear to be bound to someone but apparently not a current character. Sooo, the two items are either bound to a deleted character or my one disabled character. No idea what will happen to those items if I sell the house. Will they simply dissappear if they belonged to a deleted character or be reassigned to one of my current characters? or if they belong to the one disabled character will they end up in his inbox only to dissappear as he isnt able to be activiated? How do I keep/secure them?
    I think any items bound to deleted characters will simply disappear.

Finally, The two items are very important to me and I have not seen a way to replace them in Middle Earth or in the Turbine store. Of course there may be a way that I am unaware of. The two items are "Colourful Songbird" and "Pesky Dormouse".
    These items were available to newly created characters. I also got a few extras somehow on some of my characters. Those extras might have been from a lottery or a gift box of some kind, I honestly don't remember.

The "Colourful Songbird" and "Pesky Dormouse" are Items you get, if you have the Expansion 'Mines of Moria'. Each new Character gets 3 items in the invetory that starts a quest to turn in at the major towns. There are other things you can select there too. Maybe you still have an alt, where you still have the questitems, so you can get the "Colourful Songbird" and "Pesky Dormouse" again.

Quote Originally Posted by EldarGrace View Post
    I can only conclude that the two items in question were either bound to already deleted characters or to my one remaining but disabled character (who happens to be the owner of the current standard house). (Disabled meaning he is greyed out on the log in screen and I do not have an active slot for him, nor do I particularly want to reactivate him at this point)
    You may have a problem abandoning your house, then. As far as I know only the character that owns the house can abandon it.

If that is a problem for you, file an in-game ticket and hopefully a GM will be able to resolve that for you. It would suck to have to buy another character slot just to abandon a house.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the [url="http://lotrobugs.turbine.com"][color=red]bug reporting tool[/color][/url] or type /bug in-game!*
    [SIZE=1]*no rants please[/size]

Many thanks on the useful responses all. Much food for though here.

Banjolier - I agree that being required to buy another character slot just to abandon a house would really be annoying, so we shall see how that transpires.

Ganbeldir - Ah I did not know it was becasue of MoM. I thought it was becasue of VIP, so thanks for clarifying that. While I do not have any characters who still have the quest it does make me ponder possibilities.

Fredelas - thorough answer much appreciated. I am glad I woudl get a refund of any prepaid monies. The point on items belonging to deleted characters may just disappear is troubling as I really have no idea who originally had the two items but I suspect they were from a deleted charater...

So here is an update after some research...

The items are not bound to any existing characters (including the unavailable one) so it is unclear what will happen to them once I abandon the house, consensus seems to be they disappear but maybe they go to the house owner...

I have tested abandoning the house with all existing characters... it appears that only my unavailable character (the original purchaser) can abandon the house... so I must either increase char slots to abandon the house or seek the help of Turbine... given the paucity of deluxe houses, especially where needed, and I find the timing of all this difficult... perhaps a housing revamp might save me...

Musings in the dark...