We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Dwarf or Man? Champ or Guard? Or both?

I have two new character slots, and I was considering a Guardian or a Champion. My first character was a champion, and I didn't really enjoy playing him all that much, but I also new relatively nothing about the game or how it worked, in the most basic sense of the statement. I tried a guard, but didn't even get to level 10, and deleted him because at the time I only had 2 slots. I don't really want both a champ and guard, because I'd like to run a healer class as well. My last champ was a Man, and I really like men, since they are so well rounded, and I like the starter areas. I am not familiar at all with dwarves, but I heard that they make good Guards, as well as champs. I also have a Hunter and a Warden and a Lore-Master. Thanks for any input!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000b7bad/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Raedhros Level 31 Warden ~ Aerathron Level 20 Hunter ~ Skormir Level 12 Guardian ~
    Aerulen Level 7 Champion ~ Berogar Level 14 Captain

Re: Dwarf or Man? Champ or Guard? Or both?

If you've free slots why not give a few combinations a test go? You can just delete them if they're not your thing and try something else. That's what I've done all along until I'm happy with my character/race combos. Maybe read up a bit on skills later on.

I've found it worth the time to play around with things for a bit before picking.

Champ and Guard are so different that it's really hard to say without knowing your personal play preferences. Guards are a reactive class that is obviously designed for tanking although they can deal okay DPS when traited correctly. Champs depend on building up fervour points from less powerful attacks to open up more powerful skills. They are build to kill quickly and efficiently, but can be traited to take a decent amount of damage as well.

As for man vs dwarf, the stat difference is basically negligible once you get past the first few levels. Pick the one you like better. I personally have a hard time getting into halfling type characters be they dwarfs, hobbits, gnomes, etc. so I tend to stick to elves and men.
    [URL=http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/kidnova78/media/sig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj609/kidnova78/sig.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Man for either. If you want a DPS class -> champ. If you want a tank -> Guard. Both can fulfill both those roles but in each of the roles one stands out.

5% incoming healing bonus > every other race bonus IMO. If I could switch the race of my guard to man I would in a heartbeat.

I think I'm going with a Guard, and a Rune-keeper as well.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000b7bad/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Raedhros Level 31 Warden ~ Aerathron Level 20 Hunter ~ Skormir Level 12 Guardian ~
    Aerulen Level 7 Champion ~ Berogar Level 14 Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Aerulen View Post
    I think I'm going with a Guard, and a Rune-keeper as well.
    Man for the Guard, Elf for the RK.

Since your main job is to get hit a LOT in groups, the 5% healing bonus is huge for keeping you alive. Not that it's easy to kill a well-equipped Guard to start with. Guards and Minis are practically immortal if they don't overpull.

For RK, there's really no difference between the two races in areas that matter, but Elf gets the small agility bonus for parry/evade, and travel to Rivendell will make your life a lot easier later on.