We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Dwarrowdelf's Worn Symbol of the Elder King Lottery

I posted a similar thread in the Hunter subforums, and was seeing if who won the symbol on Dwarrowdelf. Since I haven't been able to log on to LoTRO for the past week I thought I'd make a thread.

I noticed on the Hunter thread there was some discussion on whether or not it was reasonable for classes to receive this high end gear through lotteries (or even lockboxes) instead of through raiding and skill. Thoughts?

Re: Dwarrowdelf's Worn Symbol of the Elder King Lottery

Fancee from HiK won one last weekend. I think it's perfectly reasonable to give this stuff away, especially in very small numbers as they are given away now. There's a lot of luck to gaming and all aspects of life.

Quote Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
    Fancee from HiK won one last weekend. I think it's perfectly reasonable to give this stuff away, especially in very small numbers as they are given away now. There's a lot of luck to gaming and all aspects of life.
    Congrats to her! However, I will say that the lootboxes that drop the symbols transfer the skill level needed to acquire them through ToO into mindless grinding in Carreglynn. The longer you grind, grind, grind the more chance of gaining an amazing object, instead of learning new tactics to acquire FAs in a reasonable and rewarding manner.

To the lottery, I support Turbine doing that as it gives every person who has a 75 equal chance of receiving a symbol (per alt), instead of giving those people who have the time/money to grind out via lootboxes. Now I'm not saying that the people who have gotten their symbols via lootboxes are cheap/bad people, I like most of them and their dedication to the grind is second to none, I just feel Turbine implemented this nice boost in the wrong manner in the form of lootboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulubeast View Post
    Congrats to her! However, I will say that the lootboxes that drop the symbols transfer the skill level needed to acquire them through ToO into mindless grinding in Carreglynn. The longer you grind, grind, grind the more chance of gaining an amazing object, instead of learning new tactics to acquire FAs in a reasonable and rewarding manner.

To the lottery, I support Turbine doing that as it gives every person who has a 75 equal chance of receiving a symbol (per alt), instead of giving those people who have the time/money to grind out via lootboxes. Now I'm not saying that the people who have gotten their symbols via lootboxes are cheap/bad people, I like most of them and their dedication to the grind is second to none, I just feel Turbine implemented this nice boost in the wrong manner in the form of lootboxes.
    People have just the same amount of chances to get them out of the boxes as they do a lottery. It all comes down to luck, and while you can buy more boxes you can't buy the luck it takes. And everyone is open to winning/buying a box so I don't think it gives anyone an unfair advantage.

Thanks Zulu. My LM Keela won thw WSotEK but since I love and play my RK more she gets all the good stuff

somewhere between this world and the next...

If you have played lotro as long as I have you see that it just does not matter at all... gear becomes outdated, the grind for new weapons begins much too soon... you may as well give people who will otherwise not see a WSotEK a chance to have fun too.

It seems like only a few months ago when two of our kinmates won the SotEK (lvl 65) in the lotteries the last go around.
    Threndinir - Retired Old Dwarf

Skiddish, Tralin, Sycarius, and Bukowski were some of the other winners of the WSotEK lottery. Personally, I think that while this particular lottery went a bit too far in terms of numbers, but in moderation, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. The lootboxes are also pretty fair now that the chance of a symbol has dropped significantly. As long as mostly everyone is putting in roughly the same amount of effort into getting the symbol (barring the VERY rare case of incredible luck, like lotteries), I see no reason why a few symbols should be rewarded to truly dedicated grinders. The lootboxes/lotteries also provide a reasonable way for those who have taken the time to get their gear/virtues to a reasonable level, but have yet to actually beat the t2 raids (due to RL, loyalty to a kin, loyalty to a friend, etc.), though would gladly join if the opportunity presented itself (Skiddish being a perfect example of this, and probably Fancee as well, based on the little I know of her).

Scalpel's rk won it >8D}{
    Chieftain Rayzr of Dwarrowdelf (Reaver)
    Footman Sakeri of Dwarrowdelf (Captain)

Marvi you're right I would like to start getting my feet wet with the T2 ToO just as soon as I get that darn T1 Saruman finished. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MyFancee View Post
    Marvi you're right I would like to start getting my feet wet with the T2 ToO just as soon as I get that darn T1 Saruman finished. Lol
    Heh, yeah, I remember trying to learn that fight. That was a rough time lol. If your group (or any other group doing ToO t1 wings) ever gets stuck, or needs some advice, I'm always happy to help, if I can.

We know the fight, Dagwood has made it to phase 5 for us phase 3 and people potting is where its rough, that and getting enough people on to run it. Also getting the locks so we dont have to do all the other wings helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFancee View Post
    We know the fight, Dagwood has made it to phase 5 for us phase 3 and people potting is where its rough, that and getting enough people on to run it. Also getting the locks so we dont have to do all the other wings helps.
    Yea P3 is the only nasty part if you're not accustomed to it. A dedicated ccer is needed for the frost saruman, or else his debuffs can easily wipe a raid.

My chump Ioryn won 2, one went to my little mini and gave away the other to someone I thought would benefit from it more than me(:

hey zulu i miss you

Giving away FAs does undermine the rigor and skill needed to acquire them in a raid.

In fact, there's a really funny trend with people who win fas through lotteries/lbs 1) choosing a poor mixture of weapon/class item and purpose (dps, heal, etc) and 2) proceeding to upgrade their FA without a hint of finesse. On the other hand, people who win them through raids tailor their FA with a proper goal in mind.

You have to learn to walk before you can run, and handing out FAs stochastically (yeah 5 syllables ) eliminates the first, particularly as people do not learn the patience required to beat a single wing on T2. The FA serves 2 purposes: improve player performance, and serve as a carrot-stick motivation. Lotteries downplay the excitement and head pounding of raids.

However, that said, I agree with Marvi and Frogzie. Why not let them have some fun? Gear is outdated soon, and so few are given out anyway, right?

Just don't make us cringe with what FA you choose to make when you post it in glff, please

Quote Originally Posted by gamarin View Post
    hey zulu i miss you

Giving away FAs does undermine the rigor and skill needed to acquire them in a raid.

In fact, there's a really funny trend with people who win fas through lotteries/lbs 1) choosing a poor mixture of weapon/class item and purpose (dps, heal, etc) and 2) proceeding to upgrade their FA without a hint of finesse. On the other hand, people who win them through raids tailor their FA with a proper goal in mind.

You have to learn to walk before you can run, and handing out FAs stochastically (yeah 5 syllables ) eliminates the first, particularly as people do not learn the patience required to beat a single wing on T2. The FA serves 2 purposes: improve player performance, and serve as a carrot-stick motivation. Lotteries downplay the excitement and head pounding of raids.

However, that said, I agree with Marvi and Frogzie. Why not let them have some fun? Gear is outdated soon, and so few are given out anyway, right?

Just don't make us cringe with what FA you choose to make when you post it in glff, please
    I miss you toooooo Gam D::::!

Save a FA for me yo (hypocrisy that I don't want to raid for it lol). I will be back most likely after this weekend though finally

somewhere between this world and the next...

Quote Originally Posted by gamarin View Post
    On the other hand, people who win them through raids tailor their FA with a proper goal in mind.
    I certainly agree with this and can see both sides to the debate... I have become a much better burg from running in these T2 raids and I know exactly what I need to put on my First Age when I get one. Mostly I will get the extended Riddle Range maxxed then just stand in a corner laughing at people! j/k!

Alot of people don't have the ability to get into these raids but still deserve to have fun too - if that means they get an FA and have no idea what legacies to use, it doesn't hurt anyone... no raider was entitled to that WSotEK. I will certainly enjoy mine and have that extra satisfaction that I earned it by achieving a goal that was important to me.

I know my little hobbit legs were hoping the RNG gods would be kind to me after all that running from Chain Lightning - "FROGZIE!!! RUNNNN!!!" --- "I NEED COFFEE!!!"---- but alas, I rolled lowest on that WSotEK and honestly felt I didn't deserve it yet anyway.
    Threndinir - Retired Old Dwarf

While I understand that some people would be upset having worked very hard to get their WSotEK to see someone just win one by doing nothing more than click 2 buttons and get lucky, keep in mind having a WSotEk does not give you the ability to finish a raid or skirm, only working through the raid gives you that.

So where your hard earned titles with pride and don't worry so much about the 1st age, those will be out of date in a year anyways.

Wompado