We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Character Names - How did you come up with you characters name? - What inspired it?

I figured I would make a fun thread..about why people named their characters the way they did. I know my characters names were influenced. So tell us what made you come up with the name you picked for your characters?

I will go first. So far all my toons have the same names. Tarjadan Turunen(Warden) Tarjmoth Turunen(hunter) Tarjwen Turunen(Runes-keeper) and Tarjaroth Turunen(Guardian). One reason they are all the same is so people can recognize me better. I named my characters after my idol Tarja Turunen. She is my favorite singer and I am glad to name my characters after her. I also think Turunen is a cool middle earth name.

I hope to hear some interesting stories about names of other characters. It is always interesting to hear about what people create even if it is just a characters name.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000002f91e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Character Names - How did you come up with you characters name? - What inspired i

1st char ... sounded cool, I think I heared something similar somewhere
    2nd char ... a local old witcher from the 14th century, combined with some elvish ending.
    3rd char ... a figure from a book, but altered
    4th char ... a local legend dwarf, but the name was taken, so I altered it.
    the rest sounded good, 2 I got from the random generator.

Re: Character Names - How did you come up with you characters name? - What inspired i

My primary requirement is that I like it and that it fit the race. I must admit that I used the random name generator for most of my character, since I was just bore of trying names that were already taken. So, I generate names until I find one I like, that's about it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000019a3c6/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future!

Some names I use/like on this account:

Jayarih - My initials sounded out
    Galderch - Randomized name that I liked, feels like a loremaster name to me
    Lafromant - Not sure how I got this one but I like how it sounds for one of my burgs
    6/8 SoA, 0/2 Moria, 0/1 Mirkwood, 0/1 Isengard, 1/1 Great River, 0/1 Rohan, 4/7 Skirmishes , 2/4 Instances, 0/1 Raid
    Cap removed, Premium Wallet - No, 15/35 AH, 4/15 Char slots, Bags: 5/6, 20/110 Shared Storage, 0/120 Shared Wardrobe, 0/2 Premium Classes , 0/5 Monster Play

Armitas (Armahtas) "Till the end of all War" from the word Armistice - suspension of war.

Lilka Braska: I wanted Lilja - she's a Lossoth, so I was going through Finnish names that were easy to pronounce correctly - but it was taken. Lilka's a nickname for Lilja in some other countries - not Finland - so it's close enough. Braska is from FFX and I liked the way it sounded.

Gwenaelle: She lost her original name, Eloren, after a server transfer. I decided on a Gwen name, and Gwenaelle was the only one free. It's Breton, so not really very fitting for a Rohirrim.

Elorie Tilkyn: Nothing amazing, I just 'made it up' from Celery. Tilkyn was a name I got from some old records of longbowmen at Agincourt - Tilkyn de Bomble.

Emberlain: City in the Locke Lamora series by Scott Lynch.

Ysariel Dathelor: Made it up based around Ysabelle, heroine from The Oaken Throne by Robin Jarvis. Her surname is Cornish for 'advocate' or 'debater', which I thought was nice for someone whose power was wordcraft.

Cedar Tanglefoot: the tree, and she's a hunter/trapper.

Evaine: Just made it up, wanted Edain. Her surname, Tylluan, is Welsh for 'owl'.

Adaire: Wanted something around dair, 'oak'. I made her a Dunlending, taking her surname Eidhwen from an NPC.
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

Tobadoc Dandybuck - I couldn't be of Brandybuck stock so went with Dandybuck, Tobadoc just sounds right and can be shortened to Toby, perfect for a Bucklander methinks.

Aurendir - Just sounds pretty grand, impressive and Gondorian warrior

Khorgan Ironbeard - Stolen completely from Korgan in Baldur's Gate 2, with and extra H that gives it a nicer look IMO, The Ironbeard part just sounds cool.

Aurellion Leafstar - just a mixture of Aurendir (My Gondorian character) and Torallion Leafstar (a character from Advanced Hero Quest)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000223fd3/01008/signature.png]Aurendir[/charsig]

Zalladi (Originally spelt Zahladi, now pronounced Zalardy)

A completely random invention for my first RPG game: 'Untold Legends' on PSP.

I miss those days...
    Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying

Cool Re: Character Names - How did you come up with you characters name? - What inspired i

I got the idea for my 2 mains from watching austin powers in goldmember, and at the end of the hard nock life video, Dr Evils says, "Foshizzle Mynizzle y'all" so I named my guys Mynizzle, and Foshizzle =]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000001f368/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

A few years ago I was trying to find a name in World of Warcraft that was not already taken. Nymphonic just popped in my head and I've used that name in every MMO I've played ever since.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Ilike the randomizer tbh... especially when you push enough times to get something fun.

So far I've had these as suggestions

Iofail - didn't take it
    Iufail - didn't take it
    Turbofail - Kind of like it so I use it on my spider

I find that having lore-appropriate names is quite fun at times.

I read a lot about Lotro before I joined, one article/blog/whatever made the point of voice chat for group content.

I realized I'd want a character name that had a sound I'd recognize.

So all my characters have my first initial "R" in them, followed by a vowel.

Then I look at the prefixes and suffixes appropriate to the characters. I was impressed and honored one day when a kinmate asked me if one of my hobbits was named after a flower I'd never heard of (it was) and another a mineral (yups).

I also try to make names that are only one or two syllables, with each phonetics easily discerned from the spelling, so in the heat of a moment, if some PUG stranger with low mic calls out my name, I'll perk up and respond.

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

In-game random name generator : /
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000022f903/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    My Lotro Band: [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TheJourneymenLOTRO?feature=watch]The Journeymen[/url]

All of mine are from the random name generator. I hit the button until I found something that seemed right for the character and wasn't taken, turned out pretty well. It also kept me from the temptation to pick something 'kewl' or cutsey that was really just dumb.

OP - points for Nightwish :P In another MMO, every character name I tried was taken except for...Tuomas (swoon).

I always try to give my characters actual names (well, what could pass for an actual name anyway). I believe that the first one I ever created, her name was taken from two parts of the suggested start/end for elves. Her name is Eilrian. I usually just mess around with different combos and use what sounds good.

Junesong - Coheed & Cambria <3
    Fontaine - Bioshock
    Mellan - Smashing Pumpkins (last name is Collie)
    The rest? Completely random.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000006ef4b/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    // Fontaine - 75 Mini // Evagria - 72 LM // Subtle- 54 Burg // Imtoosexyformyskirt - 38 Cappy

Mine means "wander of shadow" but technically it's should be spelled Daerandir. I had to replace the "a" with and "e" because the name was already taken.
    Landroval, formerly of Riddermark
    Daerrandir (Champion) Daerendir (Hunter)

Fariadoc - hobbit hunter, basically a cross-over between Faramir and Meriadoc.
    Heorteleas - man warden from Dale, old English for "heart-less".
    Alrandel - hobbit burglar, based on my account name but don't ask me how I invented that one.
    Barimac - hobbit minstrel, the result of some experimenting with vowels and consonants until I reached a name that sounded hobbity.
    Elaewen - elven lore-master, slight deviation of Elarwen, "high star-maiden".
    Bolinur - dwarven runekeeper, I wanted to name him Boli but that name was obviously already taken.
    Alrandel (BRG) ~ Barimac (MNS) ~ Heorteleas (WRD) ~ Elaewen (LRM) ~ Bolinur (RNK)

Years back, I got bored in high school and started world building on pen and paper. Just laying the groundwork for a fantasy world that I ended up using for a few short D&D campaigns. Maybe I thought I would write a book, idk.

One noble in a culturally Germanic kingdom was named Argen Dauss. I liked it; the name fit him. He was stern and dour sort of ruler, who's domain stood at the frontier and was constantly raided by beastmen. Argen was like a bear of a man, 40's, tall thick build. Hard muscle with a layer of middle-aged fat over it. Shaved head, probably to hide baldness. Just, loyal to his king, with his flaw of being overly strict in rule, merciless in war and punishment. Wielded a great hammer.

Not really a representation of myself, but kinda BA anyway. and I liked the name.

Joined lotro and didnt know if I could pick a surname, so I just called my captain Argendauss.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Pryderi Prydwen_ My Captain, was named after her old name got changed multipul times in one day, due to someone on RP server had nothing better to do that day... Aparently my Normal names of Castratia and Mandragora were both forbiden.. even my poor halfling got renamed for having the name Robs as a burgler.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2221900000017e6ee/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Mine is inspired from my own longest played character on the first rpg I ever played.....his name was Arkenstar.....Since then on, all my main characters on any MMOs I play begin with Arken- .......I decided on Arkenhelm for Lotro because of his origin from Rohan (Elfhelm, Dernhelm, etc )
    Arkenhelm - 86 Loremaster (R6) - Landroval
    Ivalden - 76 Captain (R2) - Landroval
    Drankorg - Warg (R5) - Landroval
    Naurvion - 26 Loremaster - Landroval

I have a Warden called Kaepora and a Champion called Gaebora. They are called after Kaepora Gaebora, the owl from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, !an awesome game! (that you all know) whom i was in love all my childwood :b

I took my middle name which depending on the translation is either Slender or Yellow and put Wulf on the end - Blainewulf. Seemed to fit for a human hunter.

This is interesting, I am glad to hear some others think about this and I'm not the only one who doesn't just pull from a random generator.

I took my son's name, my daughter's name, and my wife's name and split them into syllables. Then I scramble the syllables until I get a three syllable name I like the sound of. Since I like alts, I even put together a little spreadsheet to help me through the process.
    What goes around comes around.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000001ae9a0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast