We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hunter or Lore-master for leveling solo?

I have, right now, a level 6 or so Hunter and a level 15 Lore-master. Which should I level? Both are really fun, but I like a faster playstyle, and the Hunter seems to provide that more than the LM. But there also are some survivability issues with the LM. I've died quite a bit with him. Thrid, there seem to be a lot of Hunters. So basically in the long run which is better for soloing? I'd like to take one or the other to end-game (don't have the time to take more than one) so I want to know which is going to go quicker... Thanks....

Re: Hunter or Lore-master for leveling solo?

Hunter would be the fastest.

Level that Warden up...still reigns as top solo class IMHO.

Play the one you have the most fun with I'd say. If you plan to level it to the cap and have some endgame fun, you'll spend *a lot* of time with it. Levelling any class is very fast these days so don't worry too much about that.

Level them both to around level 30 or so, that way you get a better feel for the classes and it doesn't take that long to do. Choose the one that suits you then. Level 6 and 15 are a little early to set your stall out imho.
    Last edited by Iorionael; Apr 17 2012 at 01:19 PM.

I remember LM being somewhat painful until a little after level 30... whenever you get your Herb Lore (3-target root.) It was my second class, with hunter being the first. I chose hunter because I was an mmo noob. I don't remember dying on LM any more than hunter though. I can recommend sticking with LM as the class gets more and more fun and has great survivability. I leveled mine fast enough, but in general the class will feel slower than hunter ofc. I ended up ditching hunter as my main in favour of LM as it was too much fun and also gave me more to do.

Doesn't really matter, just play the class you have a feel for. When you can play them properly, all of the classes are fine for soloing.

For the fastest solo level up, I will tend to say Hunter. But yet, my Lore-master is only level 24 and I don't play it frequently.

To answer your question, Hunter will by far be the fastest to level as compared to the LM. This is because of how fast you will kill Mobs and for the fast travel skills you will have. That said, I would recommend playing whichever class you enjoy the most. Personally I like the LM better than the Hunter but that is just me. I would rather go a little slower with a class I like than go fast with a class I don't like and be stuck with it at max level. All things being considered though and if you like each class equally then definitely the Hunter will level probably twice as fast as the LM.
    I have no signature

All classes can pretty much solo easy-mode in this game.

Hunter is marginally faster than the other classes due to their port abilities and perma-fast run speeds.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000d6cff/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I really like the quick kills of the Hunter, but the More-master has some really cool skills, stuns and stuff. So I'll just have to kind of figure it out, but I'm really leaning towards the Hunter

Having solo'd both an alt Hunter and alt L-M past 60, I'd say the Hunter is quicker/easier (the L-M requires more finesse from the player at the keyboard *g*). Neither has been particularly difficult, so if you enjoy the role or "feel" of one over the other, go with that ... if you've no attachment to either, and just want to climb through the levels, I'd go with the Hunter.

As has already been said, the Hunter is hands down the faster soloer.

But in my own experience, the Lore-Master grows to become one of the strongest soloing classes in the game. Our multitude of stuns, CC, potent debuffs and a pet makes us very versatile when taking those big 'uns you might encounter in the landscape.

It all depends on what you want really.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

What they said. Hunters and LMs are both fairly squishy characters -- although the Hunter at least gets to wear medium rather than light armour.

The Hunter can be compared to the small warship known as a destroyer, aka a tin can or a glass cannon: lots of offense, minimal defense. (The reason the Hunter has minimal defense is that classes should be balanced. The reason the destroyer has minimal defense, that is, thin armour, is so that it can move in quickly, shoot hard, and with luck get away quickly.)

The Lore-master is more like the boffin (British WWII term for "scientist") who invents the bazookas, bombs, tanks, and mines to attack the enemy with.

(Disclaimer: My LM is my favorite character. I have a Hunter too and I can't play him worth a damn.)
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

I pretty much solo'd my hunter from lvl 20 onwards... I can highly recommend them.

It can be a bit tricky in dense mob areas due to the single target DPS and inductions on most skills, but once you get some CC skills it is actually a very fun class to play.

You may want to consider though that once at end game hunters can be a bit 'left out' if wanting to group for end game content... not in a big way, but they aren't as needed as tank/healer (obviously) and apart from the single target DPS they don't offer much for groups (like the LM's vast array of CC for example).

I've been levelling a tank to give me greater versatility but I love playing my hunter either solo or in groups when he gets the chance

LM is slow so go with Hunter if its fast lvling you want (remember Hunters get those port skills also)

End Game... Hunter!
    True there are more hunters, but you only need 1~2 LM for endgame 12 man Raids only (some 6mans), and you still need Hunters. Also for all 3mans and others its Hunter all the way.

P.S. I'm a LM, however I never said LM isnt fun as Hell to play!
    PP.S. I'd pick an RK ^^

Mmm...

It all depends if you are looking to level, just to say you did it! Or do you have an agenda?

Since historically I been on other MMOs, and RP as well, I alwaysliked crafting my own gear.

If you believe you are going to get into serious crafting, you will definetely want to be A Hunter to exploit all those fabulous transportaions shortcuts, you also want to be an explorer subclass so you can Tailor, Mine, and Forrest. The mining and foresting, lets you harvest about anything you can encounter in the game and this is critical to have the materials to evolve and make anything. A Tailor can make both light and medium armor, so you can make you rown gear, and overall the majority of the gear for most classes.

Now if you just want to level and enjoy the game, not caring about the absurd versatility the Hunter has over the great majority of the other classes, you may find the Lore Master more full of things to do, you have a pet, you can dps, and even heal! Not a bad combo...

I would also throw a bone at you, if you really want to enjoy leveling, feel awesome, and play a very forgiving class (don't die a lot when you mess up), play a Champion.

Sue

Hunter would be faster, Lore-Master would be easier.

Hunter - High rate of DPS on single target. Has fast speed buff and popular town ports. So speed is on the Hunter's side.

Lore-Master - Burst AoE DPS, slower leveling, but can solo almost anything. As long as you can slow or stun, you can solo it. You don't necessarily HAVE to be able to stun it.

My Opinion:: Many people like like the Hunter for its easy learning curve type... thing.. In my opinion the Lore-Master is better to go with because you get to play a different role in groups than you would in solo play, thus making it less repetitive. Plus instead of just straight damage and curing poison (or disease, dang, i forget which one they use), you'd be able to DPS, backup heal, cure wounds, feed power, use CC, small group buffs (like stealth detection and reflecting small amount of dps), pets that server different roles (emergency aggroing something off of dying tank, etc). It's an amazing role.
    Last edited by Graycient; Apr 18 2012 at 04:02 PM.

Would recommend loremaster just for the more varied playstyle. Coming from playing a Moria RK, I find the LM to have better survivability in that the class has many ways of controlling a fight. Make use of your flanks, debuffs, cc and pet, and you'll pretty much wreck every thing in your path. I still enjoy the RK a lot, but the LM also has some really fun tools right out of the box provided you like a little micromanaging in your gameplay. I really enjoy it as a finesse class.

If you want something straightforward, stick with your hunter.