We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

For the love of all things Middle Earth, revamp housing with open placement already.

5 years and Turbine won't bother to redo one of the biggest let downs in the game. FOR SHAME!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000160bc4/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I hate the new Edit Signature functionality

Re: For the love of all things Middle Earth, revamp housing with open placement alrea

and we have been BEGGING for it.... making a zillion suggestions about it from the day it arrived in the first place....
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

Re: For the love of all things Middle Earth, revamp housing with open placement alrea

Open placement, please!

/Signed

Housing needs a major revamp. More than just open placement of items. Our housing is pretty bad compared to what is being done in other games.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003639c/signature.png]Lizzibeth[/charsig]

Let's see...

Open placement = more housing items on display.

More items on display = more incentive to get housing items.

More incentive = more people buying them in store.

Why Turbine has dropped the ball on an obvious source of $$$$ is beyond me.

I'd gladly pay for a housing only update with TP like the new barter wallet. Maybe they could just make new neighborhoods in different areas that you can only unlock with TP? Come on, I smell a gold mine! I'll take a free upgrade for coming up with this great revenue source...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000160bc4/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I hate the new Edit Signature functionality

Thumbs up Re: For the love of all things Middle Earth, revamp housing with open placement alrea

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi123 View Post
    Housing needs a major revamp. More than just open placement of items.
    What they said. /signed

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    I am sure it is very simple. Turbine decided that the cost of implementing, operating and maintaining the new improved housing system is more than the expected lifetime revenue generated by the feature.

You see examples of companies that have made bad or poor investments all the time in real life. For example, it was not worth 250 million dollars for Walt Disney to do the John Carter movie. That is terrible rate of return to be at 263 million in box office sales at this point.

You want to be Lionsgate with The Hunger Games movie done on a 78 million dollar budget which has earned over 463 million at this point.

It is never enough to make money on something. You can sell just about anything. The question is - Can you make enough money selling the product? to justify its existence.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Sadly, Yula is correct, that's how most companies go about their business.

However, the difference between a successful company and a well-liked company is that the latter tend to do things they don't necessarily need to do, or only do to please their customers. Nobody said you have to make a profit on every single decision. Well except economists, but they're nobodies. Sorry, had to..

So it all boils down to: as the boss of a corporation, do I want to be successful or do I want to be liked? Shooting for primarily the first tends to eliminate the second, but not the other way around. The true art of business is to learn how to be greedy while people still love you. True story.

On-topic: emphatically YES, we need a housing revamp with free placement as the top priority. Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I am sure it is very simple. Turbine decided that the cost of implementing, operating and maintaining the new improved housing system is more than the expected lifetime revenue generated by the feature.
    It doesn't seem like a terribly difficult thing to change. Heck, they could pretty much accomplish the goal without major code changes by just doubling the number of hooks in each house. Housing fanatics stop complaining, at least briefly and people start buying more items to fill their house. Done.

Signing this again. The same wish keeps coming up again and again. If nothing else, they could at least concider revamped housing as a paid "expansion"... It wouldn't take any "real" resources from them to put a small team to revamp it, and then make the new housing as a paid feature, instead of giving it for everybody for free... Then everybody would be happy (Of course not the people who are always unhappy about everything, just for the principle of having the right to).
    Bravery calls my name, in the sound of the wind in the night. My sword will drink blood, and I will fight, yes I will fight, in the Dawn of Battle!
    - Manowar, Dawn of Battle

I've been beating this dead horse for years now. I don't think that it would be a bad idea to have a dev hired to just do work on housing related items/issues. I think that the money generated is seriously underestimated, and would likely pay for their time in short order, and ongoing. This is how I see it:

For Everyone:

Free form placement, limited only by the number of items based on structure
    • Small house 150 items
    • Large house 400 items
    • Kin house 1000 items
    Free form placement for yard items with a limit based on yard size

More housing item receipes for furniture, rugs, weapon racks, shields/coat of arms, basically something for every profession to make and sell or give away to friends

Housing item preview (much like the dressing room function)

Paid by TP:

Store exclusive decorations

Expansions to house (e.g. Basement, Attic, Addtl. Rooms, Stable to store and DISPLAY some of your mounts)

NPC house pets (yes, I want a cat or dog that roams my yard/house!)

More storage chests

Crafting facilities

Increase to number of items allowed

The possibilities are endless! Fact of the matter is that houses would be a driving factor for many to log in. I'd be logged in more if my house could be customized more. I'd do more deeds, instances and skirmishes to get more unique items therefore spending more time in game. Spending more time in game translates to a more active community, which translates into more buzz about the game, which potentially translates into more players/subs, etc, etc.

I'd probably stop sitting on my TPs as much and buy things related to housing. Stable to display my mounts (not all but a few at least) on my property? Heck yeah, I'd pay as much for that as the horses cost in the store. A basement? Same thing...

It's the small things that make a world in games, and while I think that Turbine has done an amazing job with details everywhere else...it always bugs me when I don't feel compelled to log out at my house...this is where my character is supposed to LIVE, not logged out on the streets of Bree, or in the middle of Galtrev...I'm not a homeless wanderer, let me go home and enjoy it!
    Last edited by Schreik; May 03 2012 at 03:26 PM.
    [COLOR=cornflowerblue][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Schreik View Post
    I've been beating this dead horse for years now. I don't think that it would be a bad idea to have a dev hired to just do work on housing related items/issues. I think that the money generated is seriously underestimated, and would likely pay for their time in short order, and ongoing. This is how I see it:

For Everyone:

• Small house 150 items
    • Large house 400 items
    • Kin house 1000 items

More housing item receipes for furniture, rugs, weapon racks, shields/coat of arms, basically something for every profession to make and sell or give away to friends

Paid by TP:

Expansions to house (e.g. Basement, Attic, Addtl. Rooms, Stable to store and DISPLAY some of your mounts)

More storage chests

Crafting facilities

The possibilities are endless! Fact of the matter is that houses would be a driving factor for many to log in. I'd be logged in more if my house could be customized more. I'd do more deeds, instances and skirmishes to get more unique items therefore spending more time in game. Spending more time in game translates to a more active community, which translates into more buzz about the game, which potentially translates into more players/subs, etc, etc.

I'd probably stop sitting on my TPs as much and buy things related to housing. Stable to display my mounts (not all but a few at least) on my property? Heck yeah, I'd pay as much for that as the horses cost in the store. A basement? Same thing...

It's the small things that make a world in games, and while I think that Turbine has done an amazing job with details everywhere else...it always bugs me when I don't feel compelled to log out at my house...this is where my character is supposed to LIVE, not logged out on the streets of Bree, or in the middle of Galtrev...I'm not a homeless wanderer, let me go home and enjoy it!
    /signed. This post deserves a thread of its own.

The problem with open placement was discovered with UO. I don't mean the abandoned towns, ghost areas, I mean the loading lag. You port nearby your house, and can get killed before you finish loading by yard trash, because you couldn't load the area fast enough. Had the same problem in SWG open housing, except it caused major rubberbanding as houses and contents loaded.

EQ2 went the right path with instanced housing. I know it's not what anyone wants to hear, but the server wouldn't have to load everyone's items. Bigger houses in town= cost more with more upkeep. I LOVE the open placement of furniture, and miss it terribly.

I'd also like to buy my house in MD, or even Brockenboroughs- which are busy areas full of hobbits. Neighborhoods feel abandoned, and the only souls I see are the couple skirmish ones, unless I go into the general store. *sad face*. Instanced housing in a single neighborhood would be busier, and also worth it.

For the love of all things Middle Earth, revamp housing with open placement already.

Please....

Take out those "hooks" Let us put things where we want them, PLEASE! at least. at the very least get rid of those hooks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Schreik View Post

For Everyone:

• Small house 150 items
    • Large house 400 items
    • Kin house 1000 items

Paid by TP:

More storage chests

Crafting facilities

Absolutely This ^^^^

Let's take this in baby steps. The proposal of a base of 400 items in a house is absurd given the cost of database storage as Turbine has indicated in the past. Just allowing the current number with upgrades for folks who want to pay for it (perhaps a recurring TP bill instead of paying in-game money).

Here are the things I'd expect in order of precedence:

1) Indoor Open placement. This has to be the first step. I would use the SWG model for this where you choose the item and then you can move it via a simple control panel. If you wanted to be stupid and have a chair sitting in the middle of the air, that was your business! Sure, it's not "physics"-possible, but very few people did anything like that... they instead strove to make things real. So, IMO, this is how Open Placement should work. Don't try to enforce rules for placement... let people do that themselves. The only coding that needs to be done in terms of restrictions is insuring the bounding box of the model is "inside" the house. I think SWG had a method for bringing up a list of placed items in a house so you could retrieve something if you messed up it's placement bad enough.

2) The ability to place items which are not housing items. IOTW, if it has an in-game model and can exist in your bags, you can put it in your house as a decoration.

3) Instanced housing (this is what we already have to an extent so it should be trivial) could be added in a variety of places (no front lawn needed) like Moria, Rivendell, Galtrev, etc., essentially anyplace that it makes sense. Does it break immersion? Sort of... but honestly it's not any more immersion breaking than walking through a gate into one of 30+ identical neighborhoods.

4) Outdoor Open placement (only available in the "neighborhoods"). The one point here is the outdoor models have to be restricted to a subset of items. This is due to loading factors (as another pointed out earlier in this thread). However, let us place these number of items wherever and however we want. You'll find most folks will place things to make it look real. And if someone wants to put 5 big giant towers in front of their house that blocks their entry... well... that's their idiocy. Honestly I could do without the outdoor plot myself, I know others like it, but since the neighborhoods never evolved with NPCs and such, I never saw much point. I think it would be much cooler to be able to do fun stuff inside your house. Offer things like the ability to add a new room (or dig out a new cave if you're in Moria) for X TP.

One of the impediments to this has been talked about by Turbine is the cost of database space. So how can we fix that? It seems pretty simple to me... monthly subscription of TP. Sure it means this gets locked to an account and there are some hurdles to overcome there, but they are straightforward fixes (in the case of a kin house anyone in the kin could contribute TP to "unlock" the kin house if the subscription failed to pay).

Perhaps Indoor Open Placement could be integrated by a TP purchase which upgraded you from hooks to OP. Heck each of the points listed above could be done in a similar fashion. Vault access in the house would be an awesome addition as well and would have nothing to do with open placement, but is another thing which could be a "housing expense" all paid for with TP.

I do tend to look at things in the light of "how could this make money for Turbine" simply because in a F2P game the development IS funded by things which will make money. If a new housing system provided a base house at different tiers, purchased with in-game money, but any upgrades to the house (open placement, number of items, outdoor open placement, vault access, crafting access, vendor access, etc) were paid with via a subscription TP system (weekly/bi-weekly/monthly whatever makes sense)... now there you have a system that makes Turbine enough money to invest in development.

Heck you could even have both systems in-game. Old style (current) hook housing in a neighborhood (in-game rent) and new style "instanced" housing a'la EQ2 (large cost in-game money OR subscription TP-based). Maybe even set up a "group" system so you could get some roommates together and rent a place.

I think several of you in this thread are right though... to see any new work done in the housing direction, it has to be able to make money. There's just so much other stuff they have to keep focused on, the current "checkmark" for housing let's them advertise they have it. To see it improve, it would have to pay for itself. Maybe offering the ability to pay for the rent/upgrades in TP or in-game money would work, but the in-game money would have to increase significantly.

Frellco on Elendilmir

Rancor head?

the guy who did player housing in Star Wars Galaxy.... we want him...
    I will personally help pay for his salary!

----
    It would be cool though if in the lotro store we could pick what features we want and then spend TP on it.... and if enough people do it then the project becomes real and gets assigned.... and all players who donated get the content for free!
    ... and a system where the TP are returned if your project doesn't get enough funding
    Last edited by Gennoslo; Jul 25 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling ;P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002eb771/01006/signature.png]Teranara[/charsig]

/like

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Let's see...

Open placement = more housing items on display.

More items on display = more incentive to get housing items.

More incentive = more people buying them in store.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]