We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LotRO macro use and legality

Hey all,

Just looking for some clarification really. I am getting used to my new setup (razer Naga and anansi keyboard... omnomnom) and I'm debating whether using even a simple macro is going to break the terms of use.

All it would be is a 'del + U' (to select the nearest target and use). This and similar would just be to speed up out of combat things really (looting, mining, opening doors etc etc). I'm wondering whether macros that offer convenience rather than advatage are allowable in LotRO.

Disclaimer: I hate MMO macros that affect combat so I won't use them, I really enjoy Rift, but imo the pvp is ruined by macro babies.
    [color=#DBA901]Lieutenant Belegardo the Veteran, Reaver-Foe, Stalker-Foe, Blackarrow-Foe Rank 10 Warden
    Skuttles, Black Dog, Rank 8 Weaver[/color]

Re: LotRO macro use and legality

This post by Sapience indicates that programmable keyboards are legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    You cannot change the information LOTRO displays in the LCD, it is coded into the game. If you search the forums there are a number of threads where people have offered their set ups and various macros for the G15 and G13.
    The big point from many discussions over the last five years is that you must be at the keyboard, self-running macros that do not require you to be there are not legal. In other words, if a GM gets suspicious and sends you a tell, you better be there to answer it immediately.

I would say if you stick to single actions (DEL + U) or one button to trigger several slots to swap your equipment etc you are on a safe side.
    the moment you repeat actions or a set of actions with a timed delay, it turns into grey/gray area.

Turbine doesn't mind macros if you actually have to push a button to activate each cycle. If however you can just lay back and watch (or not) that's bad. Then you get banned, poisoned and put on the electric chair.

not about macros atho to be honest I would like to see some basic macros in this game, to beable to link an alias to a skill, mouse over casting for healing etc. I would be great to say something as you mount up with out having to use a chat scanning plugin.

Anyway my point !

I re-keybind item use U to PGDWN so it is next to delete, I also place a /shortcut 36 /follow and re-keybind that slot to PGUP.

With this you can select an item/node, folow it to auto run to it, and then use easily.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000000756e3/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [URL="http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=173230&TabID=1466011"][COLOR=#FFFF00]~[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFEC00]~[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFDA00]~[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFC800]~[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFB600]A[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFA300]i[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF9100]n[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF7F00]u[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF6D00]l[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF5B00]i[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF4800]n[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF3600]d[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF2400]e[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF1200]l[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]e [/COLOR][COLOR=#FF2400]E[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF3600]l[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF4800]d[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF5B00]a[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF6D00]r[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF7F00]_[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF9100]E[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFA300]U[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFB600]~[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFC800]~[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFDA00]~[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFEC00]~[/COLOR][/URL]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=orange]Sya Furrytoes[/COLOR] - Minstrel, [COLOR=orange]Ordela Furrytoes[/COLOR] - Hunter, [COLOR=orange]Salain Haladain[/COLOR] - Warden, [COLOR=orange]Salahn Haladain[/COLOR] - Captain, [COLOR=orange]Dyllyn[/COLOR] [COLOR=Orange]Ironbeard [/COLOR]- Guardian[/CENTER]

Thanks for the info guys
    [color=#DBA901]Lieutenant Belegardo the Veteran, Reaver-Foe, Stalker-Foe, Blackarrow-Foe Rank 10 Warden

Quote Originally Posted by Salahn View Post
    not about macros atho to be honest I would like to see some basic macros in this game, to beable to link an alias to a skill, mouse over casting for healing etc. I would be great to say something as you mount up with out having to use a chat scanning plugin.
    You might find something useful in this thread, How to Macro! (A.K.A. The /alias Command)

Macros - combining compatible atom commands and functions - creating an abbreviation - this fine. Apparently a lot of Turbine employees play this way.

Automation - where your computer plays your character for you. You get banned for this activity. There is very little automation support in the Lua API and UI. It is possible via external hardware like a keyboard to do some very powerful automation. It is difficult to get it to right properly all the time due to the lack automation support in the game software.

When I started playing in 2007, there were automation programs available for Lotro. I am sure they still exist. Use any of stuff at your own risk. Get caught by Turbine you get banned. Get the wrong support package - you just gave access to your account to a thief.

You set a macro that allows you to put a Moon over a mob, send a message to the group - Attack my target - The one with the Moon - via a single key stroke. Turbine is not going to get upset.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Apr 05 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

The select and use I have setup too, I also have one for NPCs, makes it MUCH easier to interact when players intentionally crowd/obscure NPCs so you can't click them. One like that is great for corpse looting too.

The other one that used to be nice for mining was select nearest, dismount, use, but they built that into the client (you auto-dismount when you "use" now).

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by Bels_illuminati View Post
    (razer Naga
    How you doing with all those thumb buttons? I haven't found any on display that I could try on but it looks like it would either get painful, or become to difficult to thumb press the buttons accurately.

As was stated fully automated actions are against TOS but simple keystroke rebinding is not. You can program /follow into a keybind anywhere (keyboard mouse etc). You can modifiy the keybind file too if you can figure out what all that how-to-stuff means at the top of the file (be sure to keep a copy in case you have to reload the original) and you can use Lua scripts too.

You can use the naga 12 thumb buttons too. My warg loves that I have mine set 123 / ctrl-1ctrl-2ctrl-3 / shift-1shift-2shift-3/alt-1alt-2alt-3 and then I put my most devastating warg moves on those quickslot locations. nom nom.

I also use a G13 to swap from Block/Parry/Over Power on my guard and move his weapons as needed. Shield axe and 2hdr on the QS slots and the G13 programmed to pick up the right ones. Block/Parry picks shield (unloads the 2hrds) then the axe. Over Power picks the 2hrs.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    The select and use I have setup too, I also have one for NPCs, makes it MUCH easier to interact when players intentionally crowd/obscure NPCs so you can't click them. ...
    This is what Black Silk Gloves are for: slap that annoying person out of the way.
    The other one that used to be nice for mining was select nearest, dismount, use, but they built that into the client (you auto-dismount when you "use" now).
    You used to be able to queue up a remount also, but now you have to wait until you've finished dealing with the node.
    Tuco of the Quick Post

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    How you doing with all those thumb buttons? I haven't found any on display that I could try on but it looks like it would either get painful, or become to difficult to thumb press the buttons accurately.
    I feared that might be the case but i actually find it pretty easy to accurately press the buttons even after only a few hours of time with the new mouse.

I've always been slightly malcoordinated in pressing shift etc with my pinky, so the buttons under the spacebar on the Anansi keyboard are an absolute God send. Especially as you can assign them to shift+ctrl etc. It basically means that I can control every skill via just my thumbs, while freeing up more of WASD to aid mouse movement. Not sure a better setup is possible really (for me at least).

So far I would recommend it, if I get arthritis in my thumbs in 30 years I'll let you know

Rejuvenating an old thread but I wanted to ask about what I think is a grey area.

I quite often sit and work at home at my computer desk.

Could I set a macro that will make my character attack a training dummy or do some sowing and farming while I sit and work?

I mean I can already leave my prospector making ingots using the in game mechanic, but I need to be constantly on top of things if I wish to farm which means that I can't leave it going as I work.

Would A macro to complete this be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceolenbard View Post
    Rejuvenating an old thread but I wanted to ask about what I think is a grey area.

I quite often sit and work at home at my computer desk.

Could I set a macro that will make my character attack a training dummy or do some sowing and farming while I sit and work?

I mean I can already leave my prospector making ingots using the in game mechanic, but I need to be constantly on top of things if I wish to farm which means that I can't leave it going as I work.

Would A macro to complete this be ok?
    In essence, what you are asking is, "is it ok to create a macro where I can start my character doing an action (e.g. farming) and then let them run automatically while I ignore the game and go off and do something else (in this case, work)"

Short answer- no. That would amount to unattended macro'ing, which is illegal.

Because farming requires active keystrokes to do it, you need to be actively farming. You can't ignore it and then move on to something else while the game runs. While there are some crafts that will allow you to do one activity for a while and step away (such as processing skins or smelting one type of ore) anytime that requires a change in what you are doing you have to be there. A new type of ore, a different skin, or, in the case of farming- gathering the crops after planting them- it requires a separate action that must be manually ordered.

Which means that yes, you really should be focusing on your work and not playing instead- and especially not letting the game play itself. hehe
    Firefoot: Elendale (hunter) Galorlas (champ) Grimlaff (warden) Corny (warg)

Thank you for your answer.

This is exactly what I expected to be honest.

There are a number of actions you could do without a macro though.

ex: If you are only interested in the XP from planting, some players just do Plant All and never harvest. The sweeper takes any field still existing older than it takes to plant 5 fields.

ex: Convert Crop to Cooking item: Load up with a pile of crop items and Make All. These auto-load into your inventory.

ex: Making ingots 1x1 - load up 300 or 400 ingots worth and Make All. These auto-load into your inventory.

ex: Making boards 1x1 - same idea. Just Make All.

Your only problem will be .. How do you explain to your Boss about the Clanking coming from your PC or the Twinkle Sounds from crits... <g>
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

I think you misunderstand when I say work. I am not at work playing lotro. I am at work from 7 till 6 usually and then usually continue in the evenings and on weekends. It is evenings and weekends I set up crafting!