We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Error > Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server

Earlier this morning (about 8 hrs ago), I launched LOTRO client, and it patched up to Update 6 (since I've not been online for a month). Everything went fine during the update process - no errors, nothing wrong, completed successfully.

I then logged into the game, and was able to get online, load my characters, and play through a few of the new Epic storyline quests with no problems.

Now, about 8-9 hours later, I tried launching the client and logging in again (with no changes to my system or anything new installed), and suddenly I'm getting the error below:

Game Update Progress:
    > Connect - Done
    > Examine Programs - Done
    > Update Programs - Done
    X Examine Game Data - Retry (00:29...28...27...)

"An update error occurred: Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server."

What gives? How do I fix this? It's been re-trying for 30 minutes now...
    [I]My blog[/I] >>------> [url]http://sarharien.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000014431/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [I]That's right... [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Sarharien, the RED.[/COLOR] :D[/I][/B]

Re: Error > Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server

Did you bother to use this sub-forum's "Search Function"?

For if you did, you would have found a thread that explained exactly how to fix this issue.

Happy searching!

Re: Error > Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server

theres 2 possible fixes for your error but first try restarting the launcher, making sure the icon has gone form the task tray and from task manager before restarting

then if you still have the same problem browse to your lotro install folder which defaults to c:\program files\turbine\the lord of the rings online\
    program files(x86) on 64bit windows
    find the 4 folders patches, forward, bindat and raw. if any of the folders contain anything delete the contents
    note: some of the folders may already be empty
    restart lotro

this last option is the most distructive but this usualy occurs during patching
    browse to your lotro install folder and rename both client_highres.dat and client_highres_aux_1.datx to .old, this will mean lotro is not able to recognise the files and you will loose the highres textures... this is what we want
    start lotro, if lotro works now and if the feature still works and im not sure if it still does but you may beable to force lotro to download the highres textures again.
    from ingame options, graphics, select ultra high from overall graphics quality. if this feature still works lotro will tell you it needs to restart then it should download the high res-textures
    failing that you will need to use the High Resolution Client Repair Tool
    once finished you can delete the 2 .old files
    Last edited by Finglonger_UK; Mar 31 2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Blissfully smoking pipe-weed together on Snowbourn since 14/04/07
    spend all day smoking pipeweed and dreaming of gold

Quote Originally Posted by Finglonger_UK View Post
    this last option is the most distructive but ... lotro works now !
    Thank you kindly, Finglonger. For some reason sub-topic searching kept bringing me back to the entire forum list ALL day yesterday - would never actually return search results. Your solution worked great, and today as the prior poster had suggested, using sub-topic searching did find me posts with the same advice.

Appreciate your time helping this ol' girl out. <3
    [I]My blog[/I] >>------> [url]http://sarharien.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000014431/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [I]That's right... [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Sarharien, the RED.[/COLOR] :D[/I][/B]

Exclamation Re: Error > Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server

I have the same problem, and followed the steps given above. But still it is not working... could someone please help me. I do not use the high-res client, and therefore cannot (?) use the repair tool. I am using a Windows XP laptop. Could this be my internet or is it something else?

you might want to check out your orriginal post and please dont create multiple posts about the same problem

My original post? Whats wrong with it?

as in you might want to check it for a reply...

After update 6, I got this same error. I read from someone else on the forums to change the "client_highres_aux_1.datx " file to "client_highres_aux_1.org" , this worked for me. But now update 7 (May 14th) just launched and I got the same message again. I followed your directions and tried it. None of them worked. Do you have any new suggestions?

Thanks!

I had that error yesterday after losing my connection and then stopping and restarting the launcher.
    Fortunatly I have a second full copy of LOTRO on my computer (I was playing with dual logging a FTP account).
    That second copy ran through and updated fine.
    I then started copying the updated .dat files one by one and then checking the launcher.

It turned out to be the regular (Largest) Hi-rez file. for some reason if this file is stopped during download the launcher will go into the Unable to decrypt and de-serialize loop.

browse to your lotro install folder and rename both client_highres.dat and client_highres_aux_1.datx to .old, this will mean lotro is not able to recognise the files and you will loose the highres textures... this is what we want

I've had this problem a few times but doing this ^ has always fixed it. I had the problem again with update 7 and changed the names again and it's downloading normally again. I run into this problem because my internet like to cut out .

Quote Originally Posted by scott2 View Post

I've had this problem a few times but doing this ^ has always fixed it. I had the problem again with update 7 and changed the names again and it's downloading normally again. I run into this problem because my internet like to cut out .
    Not exactly sure how to quote the guy but that info can be found by scrolling up to Finlonger_UK's post.

Okay, I went through my LOTRO folder and opened the folders; "bindat" "forward" "patches" and "raw" and deleted the contents. Then I restarted the LOTRO launcher and it didn't work (tried rebooting computer as well, no luck). Then I went and changed the two files "client_highres.dat" and "client_highres_aux1.datx" to "client_highres.old" and "client_highres_aux1.old". Still no luck. I also tried renaming "client_highres_aux1.datx" to "client_highres_aux1.org" like before when update 6 launched. This too didn't work.
    Does anyone have any different suggestions on what else I might be able to do to get it working?

Thank you.

then if you still have the same problem browse to your lotro install folder which defaults to c:\program files\turbine\the lord of the rings online\
    find the 4 folders patches, forward, bindat and raw. if any of the folders contain anything delete the contents
    restart lotro

Perfect Thanx.

Thanx this fixed my problem patching as well.
    Sucamarto - Level 115 Archer (Landroval)

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Panahasi View Post
    Did you bother to use this sub-forum's "Search Function"?

For if you did, you would have found a thread that explained exactly how to fix this issue.

Happy searching!
    Really? You put down your toolbag and took the time out of your incredibly busy day to post that? Wow.

Thank you, however, to the folks that took the effort to try to help us with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Finglonger_UK View Post
    theres 2 possible fixes for your error but first try restarting the launcher, making sure the icon has gone form the task tray and from task manager before restarting

restart lotro

this last option is the most distructive but this usualy occurs during patching
    start lotro, if lotro works now and if the feature still works and im not sure if it still does but you may beable to force lotro to download the highres textures again.
    from ingame options, graphics, select ultra high from overall graphics quality. if this feature still works lotro will tell you it needs to restart then it should download the high res-textures
    failing that you will need to use the High Resolution Client Repair Tool
    once finished you can delete the 2 .old files
    I have the same problem but... In my LOTRO install folder I can find only raw and forward folders and thats it...

So I've never got to play Bullroarer server, because of this error...

I've tried everything you people posted a few years ago, but still then I can't play bullroarer, I know this is for the main lotro client and not for bullroarer but I've this error, well I did delete the files in those 4 folders, then I use the bullroarer laucher and I get this error. I did install the version of Akamai NetSesssion, that some1 putted here, but still tho didn't work.

TurbineLaucher

Failed to initialize or install Akamai NetSession Interfrace, reason [18], downloading without NetSession.

Any sugestion ?

That are not: don't play bullroarer...

Does anyone have instructions for fixing this problem on a Mac? I'm running on Sierra OS, version 10.12. I checked the Mac Technical Support forum, but no luck.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ahampshire View Post
    Does anyone have instructions for fixing this problem on a Mac? I'm running on Sierra OS, version 10.12. I checked the Mac Technical Support forum, but no luck.

Thank you!
    You need to ask on the Mac Technical Forum not the Windows Technical Forum. That is because the Mac and Windows version have their own unique issues and solutions. In some cases, the two versions may have the same issue but the Mac and Windows version will hava different solution.

There is chance this version:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/212500/
    will work for you. There should be both the Mac and Windows version of the Lotro software.

Generally the Mac version has more problems than the Windows version
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Windows 10.
    2019 year

2019.02.05 21:39:43[C] PatchFlow::AdmitFailure
    2019.02.05 21:39:43[C] PatchFlow::AdmitFailure [ "PatchClientDLL::CheckDatF iles Failed. [Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server.]" ]
    2019.02.05 21:40:43[W] PatchFlow::OnDataCenterUpdated - InitPatchClient failure - strError: ""
    2019.02.05 21:40:43[C]
    2019.02.05 21:40:43[C] PatchFlow::AdmitFailure
    2019.02.05 21:40:43[C] PatchFlow::AdmitFailure [ "" ]

000001244.695: Importing public key
    000001244.695: Connecting to patchserver at patch.lotro.com:6015
    000001244.695: Setting proxy information for patchserver connection
    000001247.429: Checking for file patches.
    000001247.429: application directory: <D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\com mon\Lord of the Rings Online>
    000001247.429: temp directory: <D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\com mon\Lord of the Rings Online\tmp>
    000001247.429: forward directory: <D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\com mon\Lord of the Rings Online\forward>
    000001247.429: backup directory: <D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\com mon\Lord of the Rings Online\backup>
    000001248.961: Response received from patchserver.
    000001248.961: No file patching necessary.
    000001248.961: Patching files...
    000001249.069: File patching complete. 0 patches applied, 0 bytes downloaded
    000001249.070: Checking for data patches.
    000001249.070: Loading data patch dll.
    000001249.070: Could not init the patchtime manager
    000001249.070: Failed to create a patchtime patching manager in <D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\com mon\Lord of the Rings Online>: error 0x81930003
    000001309.117: preconfigured proxy settings.
    000001309.117: Could not initialize the http client
    000001309.117: Failed during initialization, error 0x80004005

WHY!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarseth View Post
    Windows 10.
    2019.02.05 21:39:43[C] PatchFlow::AdmitFailure [ "PatchClientDLL::CheckDatF iles Failed. [Unable to decrypt and de-serialize the data downloaded from the server.]" ]
    I have the same error. Apparently, this has been happening since 2012. Has there even been a single reply from tech support?

I want to play the game. This error prevents me from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Teolwyn View Post
    I have the same error. Apparently, this has been happening since 2012. Has there even been a single reply from tech support?

I want to play the game. This error prevents me from doing so.
    No, there hasnt; but there HAVE been about a BAZZILION threads explaining the various causes and ways to get around them posted by forum members.

The best is Hurins "One Guide" thread; if you have followed that and are still having issues, the next most common are firewall or AV issues.

Just a thought regarding this problem on Windows 10.

I've had a couple of other programs refuse to update when they were installed in the Program Files (x86) directory. Moving them to their own directory solved the problem. Just wondering if people suffering from this problem on Win 10 have Lotro installed in the Program Files (x86) directory?

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Just a thought regarding this problem on Windows 10.

I've had a couple of other programs refuse to update when they were installed in the Program Files (x86) directory. Moving them to their own directory solved the problem. Just wondering if people suffering from this problem on Win 10 have Lotro installed in the Program Files (x86) directory?
    Well worth a try; I got really leery of putting anything in an OS created folder after M$ managed to delete everything in the "My" folders during an update many years ago.