We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How To Correctly Roleplay a Blind Person

Hello fellow LotRO Gamers,
    Recently my Elven Lore-Master has become completely blind. I won't go into details as to HOW this happened but I wanted some advice on how to roleplay someone as blind.

It's been a few days since the impairment, and basically he's attempting to use his enhanced Elvish hearing, and staff as a walking stick. I think I'm doing an o.k. job but I want to do better. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this realistically, and correctly? Any help would be appreciated.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000322d48/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: How To Correctly Roleplay a Blind Person

I have very little experience in sensory deprivation, but I'll try to suggest a few things.

Blindfold yourself for a day, no cheating. You really want to be able to identify with the hardships of a freshly blind person. I did this back in '98 for three days. It was hellish for me.

Here is a blind person's take on it: Linkie
    And another: Linko

-
    I'm not sure if a bird or a bear would make a good seeing eye animal, but that is also an option, no?
    Last edited by RedSquirrel; Mar 23 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: I really suck at hyperlinking here...

Re: How To Correctly Roleplay a Blind Person

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    I'm not sure if a bird or a bear would make a good seeing eye animal, but that is also an option, no?
    Well, a Loremaster (assuming the character in question is one because of the mention of a staff) can get a dog as a cosmetic pet, so if you want a seeing eye dog, there's that.