We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Couple questions from a leveling minstrel

So I've been leveling my minstrel up, and while at the class trainer, I was looking through the untrained skills list to see what skills I could expect to be getting in the next few levels. To my surprise, I found that at level 48, there's basically an improved version of story of the hammerhand (tale of the hammerhand? I forget the name) that allows you to apply the bubble to a fellow in your group, rather than just yourself. I found this very surprising.

My two level-capped characters are a guardian and a rune-keeper, both of which I raid on fairly regularly. I neither have nor have ever had a champion, at any level, but from all the grouping I've done I know they have a bubble, I see it go up all the time. But, on all the times I've raided on my tank with a mini healing, which happens a lot, I've NEVER seen a bubble go up on me, only when I have a rune-keeper healing. In fact, I didn't even know this existed until I got my mini leveled to the appropriate level. So my first question, is there a reason you level-capped minis don't seem to ever use this skill? Or is it a regular part of a healing rotation, and have I just been blindly missing it, and assuming it was the RK bubble instead?

Second question involves the third "tale of" skill we get in the 40s, Tale of Warding, that increases armor value and gives +1 hope. From my understanding, Tale of Battle, the ability that gives a good amount of vitality and resistance, is the assumed tale you'll throw up when grouping. IF you have a second minstrel in the same fellowship, they'd use Tale of Heroism, the fate/will version. I don't think I've ever seen Tale of Warding being used, whether in a serious raid, a 6-man, casual 3-man, or just with a mini as a leveling partner. So then, is there any times Tale of Warding would be useful?

To me at this point, it seems like it would be useful, as the plus one hope would give +1% morale and +1% damage (not that that even comes close to comparing to Tale of Battle vitality bonus, but still) as well as of course counter-acting any dread which is the real point, and also giving a good bit of armor value (500 at level 47, which is 25% of my mini's AV, which is nice on level, but I'd assume less so at level cap). It seems Tale of Warding would be nice when doing solo quests for the AV and dread, especially if you've died recently, making up for dread on a boss which inspires extra dread (for example, on Gurvand after your fellowship wipes and retreats) and possibly to make up for a hope token which doesn't cover all the defeat dread. Granted, these are pretty rare cases, almost 100% of the time the fellowship should have a class to clear dread, especially now that RKs can do so, and a hope token be used to take care of the boss-inspired dread (although, to be picky, if you wiped on a boss that inspired 4 dread, had the mini/rk clear dread, and used a token to off-set boss dread, that'd put you at 1 hope, as 4 boss dread - 5 hope from token = 1 hope, so using Tale of Warding would bring you up to 2 hope, giving you slightly better bonuses, though I doubt they're worth not using one of the other "tale of" auras). Anyways, bottom line, is Tale of Warding useful, in any scenario, or just one of those skills that almost never gets used?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024434a/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Couple questions from a leveling minstrel

The bubble has been used more here recently in the moors, that's really the only place I use it. Every now and then I will toss one on a champ or guard if they are going down quick until i get them caught up on heals.
    ~*~Lillibell~*~

Quote Originally Posted by -atilius- View Post

My two level-capped characters are a guardian and a rune-keeper, both of which I raid on fairly regularly. I neither have nor have ever had a champion, at any level, but from all the grouping I've done I know they have a bubble, I see it go up all the time. But, on all the times I've raided on my tank with a mini healing, which happens a lot, I've NEVER seen a bubble go up on me, only when I have a rune-keeper healing. In fact, I didn't even know this existed until I got my mini leveled to the appropriate level. So my first question, is there a reason you level-capped minis don't seem to ever use this skill? Or is it a regular part of a healing rotation, and have I just been blindly missing it, and assuming it was the RK bubble instead?
    The bubble is only around 1600 hp at the level cap, and lasts for just 10 seconds with a 5 minute CD. Most minis don't bother with this skill in end-game grouping, b/c its so small relative to a tank's morale pool and the long cool down means you have to look if its up, rather than just hitting a normal heal. Plus, a normal heal is either just as power efficient (BC) or offers another benefit, just as a group-wide HoT (CoS). I've only used the bubble near the start of a many-add pull where I'm worried the tank is light on aggro, or at odd times in a running fight b/c of the lack of an induction. Also, it may have been up on your guard, but you just didnt notice - 1600 hp gets beaten away quickly in most fights, and if your guard has a good morale pool, its just a little purple sliver on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by -atilius- View Post
    Second question involves the third "tale of" skill we get in the 40s, Tale of Warding, that increases armor value and gives +1 hope. From my understanding, Tale of Battle, the ability that gives a good amount of vitality and resistance, is the assumed tale you'll throw up when grouping. IF you have a second minstrel in the same fellowship, they'd use Tale of Heroism, the fate/will version. I don't think I've ever seen Tale of Warding being used, whether in a serious raid, a 6-man, casual 3-man, or just with a mini as a leveling partner. So then, is there any times Tale of Warding would be useful?

To me at this point, it seems like it would be useful, as the plus one hope would give +1% morale and +1% damage (not that that even comes close to comparing to Tale of Battle vitality bonus, but still) as well as of course counter-acting any dread which is the real point, and also giving a good bit of armor value (500 at level 47, which is 25% of my mini's AV, which is nice on level, but I'd assume less so at level cap). It seems Tale of Warding would be nice when doing solo quests for the AV and dread, especially if you've died recently, making up for dread on a boss which inspires extra dread (for example, on Gurvand after your fellowship wipes and retreats) and possibly to make up for a hope token which doesn't cover all the defeat dread. Granted, these are pretty rare cases, almost 100% of the time the fellowship should have a class to clear dread, especially now that RKs can do so, and a hope token be used to take care of the boss-inspired dread (although, to be picky, if you wiped on a boss that inspired 4 dread, had the mini/rk clear dread, and used a token to off-set boss dread, that'd put you at 1 hope, as 4 boss dread - 5 hope from token = 1 hope, so using Tale of Warding would bring you up to 2 hope, giving you slightly better bonuses, though I doubt they're worth not using one of the other "tale of" auras). Anyways, bottom line, is Tale of Warding useful, in any scenario, or just one of those skills that almost never gets used?
    Warding isn't used that my, IMHO, because in most hard fights, dread is wiped and hope tokens are being used, and hope is capped at +5 anyway. I can't think of a current end-game raid where it would help, short of being out of tokens. The armor buff is less useful because its really only great for reducing common damage, which only tanks or sturdy melee classes typically get hit with. Better to use a tale that benefits the whole fellowship instead of just a few people. Plus, the armor buff doesnt scale very well. +900 armor at level 75 is only about 20% of my armor pool, and much less for the heavy that would be taking 90% of the damage.

I actually like to use Tale of Warding in longer fights, b/c the +85 fate really helps the heavies with their power regen. ICPR scales with the square root of fate, and the benefit can be pretty significant for a tank that only has 200-300 fate to begin with. For a guard with 225 fate and maybe 600-800 ICPR, running Tale of Warding can give them an extra 10% of more ICPR, which can be a huge help, especially if you are short cappies, LM or RKs for power healing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000237c76/signature.png]Megaren[/charsig]

I tend to reserve my bubble for light/medium armour types that have pulled threat, though I use it less and less now because of the diminishing returns (makes a big difference at lower levels, gets progressively less useful as you level). There is zero point putting it on a tank pretty much from 60 onwards.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR="#FFD700"][SIZE=3][I]"Goddess of song, teach me the story of a hero"[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001c9ba3/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Like others, I rarely use the bubble on the tank because 1600 morale on a tank is so small - better to hit with a (hopefully critted) heal. But I often will use it on my CC class when they pull, to keep them from dying as the entire room aggroes on them until the tank can get the big guys under control.

As for warding, I use it when +armor is better than +resistance, especially if we don't have a hope token up. (Unless this has changed recently, Tale of Warding's hope bonus does not stack with a hope token, so if I have +1 up and you use a +5 hope token, you're still at +5.) This turns out to not be too often - in most raid fights the whole group is getting hit with resistance effects constantly, and getting stunned or rooted is harder to deal with than mere morale damage. That said, I often run with 5 y traits and use Tale of Warding and Heroism all the time.

I thought I got Tale of Warding at a much lower level. Is this a change?
    Pierced by the friendship of the mortal races.