We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,652

    Dwarven Minstrels Can Use One-handed Axes, But None Exist as Legendary Weapons. Why?

    I just earned enough Bright Emblems of Nimrodel to purchase a legendary weapon for my Dwarven Minstrel. I was surprised to see the barter NPC does not sell any one-handed axes. As a dwarf i get a +2% racial dmg bonus when using an axe.

    Is there a reason for not allowing Dwarven Minstrels to use a First Age One-handed Axe?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Teh interwebz
    Posts
    478

    Re: Dwarven Minstrels Can Use One-handed Axes, But None Exist as Legendary Weapons.

    Yes, they forgot to add them when they created the LI system, and haven't bothered since, I'm afraid.
    .

    I was Bhorn, bhorn to be wild... dum-de-dum-de-dum.

  3. #3

    Re: Dwarven Minstrels Can Use One-handed Axes, But None Exist as Legendary Weapons.

    I believe it is a cost issue:

    1) Minstrels can be all four races. Turbine would have to create a Minstrel weapon that only dwarves could use. It is very limited usage. At least on Meneldor, there are not very many dwarf Minstrels. I got one of the few dwarf Minstrels. Hobbit Minstrels are the most popular.

    2) If you could pick or make dwarf only minstrel weapons, you could end up getting up one your character could not use. You would be complaining to the Game Masters to fix your mistake. By not have a Minstrel legendary axe, customer service never has to deal with this issue.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  4. #4

    Re: Dwarven Minstrels Can Use One-handed Axes, But None Exist as Legendary Weapons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I believe it is a cost issue:

    1) Minstrels can be all four races. Turbine would have to create a Minstrel weapon that only dwarves could use. It is very limited usage. At least on Meneldor, there are not very many dwarf Minstrels. I got one of the few dwarf Minstrels. Hobbit Minstrels are the most popular.
    I'm confused, any race can use 1 hand axes. Why would they need to make minstrel LI 1 hand axes dwarf only?
    Fordakidz(sapience) says, 'THIS IS MY ROCK! THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,084

    Re: Dwarven Minstrels Can Use One-handed Axes, But None Exist as Legendary Weapons.

    Minstrels can't use axes. But all dwarves can use axes. Therefore dwarven minstrels can use axes.
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,652

    Re: Dwarven Minstrels Can Use One-handed Axes, But None Exist as Legendary Weapons.

    okie. thanks for replies. i guess i'll make do with a sword then.

  7. #7
    The way the system is set up Hobbit get 2 points for using a club,Human and Elves get 2 points for using a sword, but us Dwarves Minstrels don't get the two pints for a legendary axe because it doesn't existed at all. That is not fair,discrimination against Dwarves it's that plain and simple.

  8. #8
    It appears Sauron has once again appeared as the Necromancer.

    I jest, I jest.

    I don't know how the issue is, currently, but it seems like the obvious answer is to simply give all Minstrels the ability to wield one-handed axes. Then unlock the LIs for Minstrel Axes.

  9. #9
    I want a legendary axe for my Dwarven Runekeeper too!
    [center][color=red]~ Nebuchadnezzar ~[/color]
    Circle of Trust
    [i][color=green]A European Asylum for the Mentally Bewildered[/color][/i]
    η β π[/center]

  10. #10
    Dwarven Mini's would be dangerous with an Axe they would be likely to chop up their lutes, Harps and hopefully bagpipes for firewood
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/23221000000168bff/signature.png]Aidlywo[/charsig]

    Getting a Gold Class Item "Soon™" - Currently running 999th ITA Instance

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Tyrol, sadly in Italy
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLetters View Post
    I want a legendary axe for my Dwarven Runekeeper too!
    What do you hold your runestone and your chissel/riffler with then?

    Runekeepers are different from all other classes, they should never be compared


    I would suggest:
    1. all races can use axes
    2. introduce some one handed minstrel axes

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    274
    Yes! You have my flute (and axe, if my mini had one)!
    Laineth, Lassdhel, Rikkom, Rilem, & alts // Google+
    Scholar Resource Maps for Eriador (https://goo.gl/photos/RavGWt9AYPNb6Wes5), Rhovanion (https://goo.gl/photos/jRuu1TmSoXGCfpTS7), and Gondor (https://goo.gl/photos/UD6JKgJQLcsMLYNHA)
    Many hands make light work; please help update the LOTRO Wiki!
    It takes a tree decades to grow to maturity, minutes to cut it down.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    39
    Yup, the devs know about this, but they haven't dealt with it. A post similar to this has been around for ages. Dwarf mini's need axes ... if only for the sheer pun of it all. (axe=guitar .. needed to explain for pun illiterates ) That's why I have a lvl 60 dwarf mini that's been stagnant for the last 3 years. *sigh*.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000032d86/01001/signature.png]Belegosi[/charsig]

  14. #14
    well, I guess it's because Gene Simmons looks more like a goblin than like a dwarf!



    so, to avoid confusions in battle, no axes for dwarven minstrels!
    Last edited by Talaixa; Jul 05 2012 at 05:22 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I believe it is a cost issue: 1) Minstrels can be all four races. Turbine would have to create a Minstrel weapon that only dwarves could use. It is very limited usage. At least on Meneldor, there are not very many dwarf Minstrels. I got one of the few dwarf Minstrels. Hobbit Minstrels are the most popular. 2) If you could pick or make dwarf only minstrel weapons, you could end up getting up one your character could not use. You would be complaining to the Game Masters to fix your mistake. By not have a Minstrel legendary axe, customer service never has to deal with this issue.
    As opposed to having my LM find non LM legendary items as drops? This isn't really an answer to the original question. People make mistakes all the time, just not having this one weapon to avoid that problem is just a cop-out response, and I'm glad it's not an official answer, because it would be a very bad one. LI all use the same base code, variations making them class specific or weapon specific. Adding ONE more type won't be cost prohibitive or time consuming at all.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    unknown
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I believe it is a cost issue:

    1) Minstrels can be all four races. Turbine would have to create a Minstrel weapon that only dwarves could use. It is very limited usage. At least on Meneldor, there are not very many dwarf Minstrels. I got one of the few dwarf Minstrels. Hobbit Minstrels are the most popular.

    2) If you could pick or make dwarf only minstrel weapons, you could end up getting up one your character could not use. You would be complaining to the Game Masters to fix your mistake. By not have a Minstrel legendary axe, customer service never has to deal with this issue.
    Easy: Just add a one handed axe use passive skill for minis as well => Problem solved

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by probitas View Post
    As opposed to having my LM find non LM legendary items as drops?
    This isn't the same issue. In other for it to be a similar issue, all legendary items would need to come with both class and racial restrictions. Out of any drop, there would only be a 1/25? (can't remember how many race / class combos there are) chance you could use. As human champion, you would be annoyed by all these elf champion legendary items that you couldn't use.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombielord View Post
    Easy: Just add a one handed axe use passive skill for minis as well => Problem solved
    Turbine would have to make this change. Plus create all the minstrel legendary axes. Plus all the supporting sinew like loot tables, NPC barter options, crafting recipes ... There is a cost that keeps going up as time passes to add this functionality. Only Turbine can decide if it is worth all this effort.

    The low cost solution would be to remove the axe passive from dwarf Minstrels.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Between the darkness and the light.
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by probitas View Post
    As opposed to having my LM find non LM legendary items as drops? This isn't really an answer to the original question. People make mistakes all the time, just not having this one weapon to avoid that problem is just a cop-out response, and I'm glad it's not an official answer, because it would be a very bad one. LI all use the same base code, variations making them class specific or weapon specific. Adding ONE more type won't be cost prohibitive or time consuming at all.
    A better "This isn't the same issue" example I think is this.

    In the case of the drops, its like someone walked up to you and gave you a Widgit saying "Here, I don't want this, you take it." It cost you nothing, not even time really after all you already out there, already doing what ever you were doing and something gave it to you. The worst is that it takes up bag space for a bit until you destroy or deconstruct it. (I just destroy them on the spot myself).

    As opposed to you going to the store to buy a Doohickey and getting a Widgit by mistake. You spent both concious effort and coin, and have to try to explain to the clerk that you really wanted that Doohicky and that you can't actually use a Widgit and would they please exchange it.

    The first is annoying but mostly harmless. The other carries a tangible cost. No one (at least no one that I know of) complains to the CSR when they get a world drop of something they can't use, but all heck lets loose when they buy something they didn't mean to.

    ==Nec Hostium Timete, Nec Amicum Recusate==
    alts: Aymie, Wrd 61 | Willie, Hnt 28 | Io, Grd 55 | Leyta, Lm 44 | Sharise, Brg 38

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Talaixa View Post
    well, I guess it's because Gene Simmons looks more like a goblin than like a dwarf!..
    Oh.. I thought he was a troll.. My bad.
    [I][COLOR=#daa520][FONT=comic sans ms]~ Occasional Taunter of Masked Badgers[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms] ~[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    239
    Best fix, IMHO, is to give weaponsmith guild recipes to craft legendary minstrel axes for dwarven minstrels.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,016
    Respectfully, I disagree.

    2) If you could pick or make dwarf only minstrel weapons, you could end up getting up one your character could not use. You would be complaining to the Game Masters to fix your mistake. By not have a Minstrel legendary axe, customer service never has to deal with this issue.

    The point I was trying to make was that this statement is pure bunk. Anyone can already receive an LI drop their character cannot use, so what's the point of that statement? And even if you are referring to crafting or barter/AH, then the player has to do what all other players do for any sort of barter/AH transaction now, which is to pay attention and read the fine print description for the purchase. I've done that, and it's my fault when I screw it up. My action, my responsibility. I can't find validity in that above statement that provides a defense for Turbine coding in a weapon option for dwarves but NOT coding in an LI for that weapon. I don't think it's because they want to deflect a problem that might occur about that one LI when it's already occurring with the others (and not just LIs but also armor pieces). I actually think it's because they FORGOT about dwarves having passive one hand axe when making the LIs, and then making LIs class restricted instead of just like other weapons and leave it to players to make their own choices. An oversight.

    So what you have now is a passive skill that is irrelevant once a dwarven character reaches lvl 50 in a class that never had that weapon in it's basic design (sorry, we forgot about that passive). 30 levels of non use once level cap is raised, and forever after unless there's a two weapon dwarf running around somewhere. Really, why bother giving it to them now anymore, since the LI system has totally removed that option from them? It would be a nerf, but leaving it there and not addressing it would make dwarf minstrels understandably upset once they notice the issue, and I'm surprised I haven't noticed it earlier (though the dwarf I do have is a guardian, so this issue doesn't arise and might explain that).

    Either adjust the racial specific and remove the passive (which frankly makes zero sense but is expedient and probably dirt cheap, since the class would just put it back if part of that class), or put some effort into a solution so that dwarves can use the skills they are given for the life of the character.

    Just my opinion, but one that doesn't cut the OP off at the knees with poor argument. I understand that making a minstrel LI for dwarves might sound hard, but really, it's a copy/paste from the more normal mini weapons into an LI variant. Since the drop code determines what drops, and the LI forge-master places the legacies on it, all that needs doing is adding one-hand axe to the minstrel code at the forge-master. Because I don't think there is code for every possible weapon variation, but simply a list of class legacies that are placed randomly at the time of identification. If a dwarven minstrel shows up with a one hand minstrel axe, minstrel legacies would then be placed. Not really a big coding issue in my mind, unless they made it impossibly complex for some reason.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload