We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy Crashing to Black screen after update 6

Hello,

I need advice please. My screen is crashing to a black screen during the game. Can't see or hear anything in game when this happens. I am unable to play the game. I spend more time relogging in than playing. I searched forums and did not see a solution .

I have a I5 processor and 8 gigs of ram . I am running windows 7, 64 bit.
    Nvidia Geforce240 gts GPU and sound from the motherboard.

A few days ago possibly just before update screen locked up and screen turned black and monitor entered power save mode during tier 2 Ddargnakh 3 man instance.

Not sure if related to above, but since Update 6 came and I have had many instances of the same thing happening. I have quested in new area (level 75 quests) and in Ettenmoors on creepside (rating is suffering due to crashing in front of freeps and getting killed).

I updated my video drivers by visiting the NVIDIA webpage and the crashes continue. Someone suggested that I uninstall and reinstall the audio device and drivers. I did that and still the issue perisits.

From the login panel I chose the repair option and reset defults. I also set the graphics to very low quality. I also tried setting the graphics to direct X9 instead of 10. Noen of these actions have helped the problem.

Please suggest a fix for this issue.

Re: Crashing to Black screen after update 6

Try to mute all game sounds (there is a checkbox for that in audio options). This hepled me (at least for now) with my crashes.

Thank you I will try

LOTRO hates on board sound cards (built into your motherboard) ..actually it hates most sound cards and causes some unknown sound loop bug or something and crashes the game.

This happens to me in Thorin's hall on a daily basis.

TS check this thread at NVidia:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223716&st= 0

That might be your problem. If so then there is a new driver released Tuesday. It's supposed to fix the issue of monitor going black. Post#1 instructs on way to uninstall old driver doing clean install. Do that then install the new driver.

GeForce 296.10 Driver
    Version: 296.1 - WHQL
    Release Date: Tue Mar 13, 2012
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit,
    Language: English (US)
    File Size: 158.74 MB

Here is the download page for your 240 card:

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/42438

Thank you for the responses. To clarify things a bit the crashes are after the latest update this past Monday,Update 6.

I tried to mute all game sounds that seemed to help some jury still out didnt play too long like that.

I tried to update driver directly from mvidia website. that did not help still crashed.

I called Del and they unistalled all nvidia stuff and reinstalled the driver "clean install" as suggested above,

the game still crashed after a while with game sounds unmuted. Got black screen and message entering power save mode.

I checked the screen saver power management settings said go tturn off monitor after 20 mins and go to sleep after 1 hour. changed those settings to never shut off.

played the game again with updated drivers abd gane sounds on and crashed to black screen again

Angry Re: Crashing to Black screen after update 6

I am having the exact same problem, and only since update six. Whatever they did on tuesday didn't help at all. I thought it was my computer so I cleaned up my files, my operating system, even took apart my computer to make sure there was no dust or anything hindering. Nothing I did changed a damn thing. And since it only happens when playing LOTRO and only since the update, I blame the update. First everything freezes, then glitches like I have double vision, Then the colors stasrt reversing turning the screen a brilliant white before turning black. I would post a picture but I don't know how. But this is ridiculus, I'm tired of my computer crashing and locking up so that I can do nothing except shut it down in the most harmful way. They need to FIX THIS! Its affecting my gameplay, I freeze right in front of bad guys almost every time and the next time I sign on I end up in some mystery section of moria! GAH!
    Gladden
    Emynn ~ 85 Mini - Gwindalloth ~ 85 Hunter
    Tordyl ~ 54 Cappy - Lunyre ~ 68 LM

I'm also crashing to a black screen, but not during the game. For me it happens when I quit the game.

This has happened to me before, but it didn't happen for quite awhile. Now that U6 has arrived it's back
    Lifetimer
    Grishmath - (Blackarrow)/Dragaz - (Warleader)

Quote Originally Posted by fergucs View Post
    crashes are after Monday...

I tried to update driver directly from mvidia website. that did not help still crashed.
    if u updated drivers on monday, then you dont have the latest driver, that one came out on Tuesday.

Soon after my last post I tried to play again to try the suggestions on this thread. Before I could change any settings, my screen went black ánd shut my computer down. My computer has completely crashed and none of these problems were present before the upgrade.

I have, or had, a newer computer. Only purchased in 2009. Windows 7. Great computer, did everything I always wantsed it to. And now the damn thing won't even turn on. Just great huh.... just freaking peachy. Please fix whatever issue is causing this so it doesn't crash my next computer eh. And just be glad I'm writing this after I've calmed down a bit. I'm still pissed of and frustrated but not to the point where I still want to throw my stupid computer, that again was just fine until I downloaded update 6 and nothing else was downloaded in that timeframe. Trust me it was one of the first things I checked.
    Gladden
    Emynn ~ 85 Mini - Gwindalloth ~ 85 Hunter
    Tordyl ~ 54 Cappy - Lunyre ~ 68 LM

still having trouble . but maybe less..

thanks for the responses. I updated the video driver and video device with clean install after the new driver came out this week

Played it for a while with game sounds muted no crashes then played for a while sound on no crashes.

Crashed later with sound on . I unistalled audio driver and device and reinstalled clean then played for hours with sound no crashes. Today with sound has crashed twice. But only after hours of trouble free play. Could still hear music in backgound but black screen. music then went to echooing like sound, repeating...

also when screen goes black i get a message saying entering power saver mode on screen. I checked power setting and set to never for going to sleep and trouble still persisted.

nvidia drivers have been plagued with this exactly monitor going black enter power save issue for a long time now. according to nvidia this new driver fixed it as best they could. some however still get it. posters at nvidia have said rolling back to an older driver 175 (i think) fixed it because the problem only started with drivers after that point. this might be your only option.

thank you very much . I will try it!!

btw probably unrelated if video issue but audio is Realtek high definition audio device..

rolled back to 275 driver as suggested on nvidia forum. seemed to work then crashed later.
    turbine suggested may be hardware issue. googled some more and decided to try removing side of case anbd blowing dust out of case and GPU heat sinks and fan.

GPU temps with load after blowing out case 95 C about 80 at idle, no pre temps recorded, peak about 100 C, decided to pull side off and blow off bottom of gou and fan and heat sinks and idled temps 66 C and loaded at about 79 C. will try that, hasnt crashed so far, still using old 275 driver

I've been getting lots of crashes lately also. Including where most of the screen goes black and locks up.
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=PaleGreen][FONT=Century Gothic]■ Windows7 x64 ■ Asus M4A87TD EVO Motherboard ■ AMD Phenom 1055T CPU ■ XFX 6950 2GB Video Card ■ Samsung T260HD Monitor ■ 8GB G.Skill DDR3 ■ Asus Essence STX Sound Card ■ XFX 750w PSU ■ Intel 80GB SSD ■[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I've been having this but only in one area and only since the last update: Rushgore and eastwards (Brown Lands) - after 5 minutes there I got a Black Screen of Death (BlSOD).

For those that don't know, it's the same effect as a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) but screen is black, keyboard and mouse won't work. To confirm it wasn't a graphics card issue I tried to log in via Logmein and VNC, no connection, machine dead, only option hard reset via off switch.

So I rebooted, relogged and went back in, began to quest again, five minutes in, BlSOD

I updated my graphics and sound drivers to the latest ones (they were only two months old but hey). Then I used services.msc and task manager to kill everything that wasn't essential. No firewall, no av, nothing whatsoever. Got to character select screen, CPU 96% idle, 13 gigs ram free, machine under no load. Logged into Rushgore, didn't touch anything, mouse, keyboard, nothing, just watched. Three minutes later, BlSOD

So I decided I needed some empirical data. After the reboot, I logged and immediately ported to MD. Went to AH, put on stances, ported about a bit. Did two skirmishes. After one hour of playing, no problems whatsoever.

Used my campfire to go to Rushgore. Didn't touch anything. After 3 minutes, BlSOD. Gave up. Basically I cannot go to Rushgore or Brownlands for more than three minutes or so.

Info: Windows 7 Ultimate 60 bit. Intel i7 Quad Core. 16 Gigs RAM. AMD 5700 Series graphics. USUS external sound card.

I repeat, never had this problem before the last update.

Edit: Forgot to add that I've tried DX11, DX10, DX9 and muting the sound. Nothing helps.
    Last edited by Feanixxx; Mar 26 2012 at 09:09 AM.
    Of all the thing's I've lost, it's my marbles I miss the most.

I have an all ati system and i get crashouts of various types similar to what you are expierencing, and this is my conclusion after a few hours of hard work. drivers are and can be an issue i can not use the last 3 versions of vid drivers and play lotro. i had to roll back to a version of the driver that actually let me stay in game. here was my test method, uninstalled driver installed newest driver and couldnt stay in game. to i then went back to the previous driver did the uninstall install thing and still had no real stay in game ability ,so ding the same method going back 1 version at a time i finally found one that make me stable for 6 or more hours. i do have to turn off sound when entering various RoI instances or ill ctd but that is something ill live with till they fix it. my recommendation is try several drivers till you find the one that works for your config.

Good idea Vandellia. I spent a couple of hours downgrading my AMD graphics drivers (from here, for those interested: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx).

I went from Catalyst 12.2 (the current one) via various intermediate drivers to a last one of Catalyst 10.12 December 2012 at which point Lotro wouldn't load past the first advert. My favourite was one from May last year, which crashed my machine after just 50 seconds of logging into Rushgore - I was impressed!

Fed up with it now and got lots of bad sectors due to all the crashes, I need to do a bad sector repair overnight. Really not worth all the hassle for a game.
    Last edited by Feanixxx; Mar 26 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Apologies for raising an old thread but I’ve finally had some success with this after many hours and it had nothing to do with drivers. I’ll save you the history but I had tried changing more or less everything and I still crashed out to a black screen in certain areas and had to reset my computer (over 60 times to date).

I noted that the GPU fan would rev up about three seconds before the crash, so I installed some temperature logging software and zoned into the crashing areas a few times and crashed my machine. From the log I noticed that the GPU spiked in heat every time I went into the new area and that this coincided with the fans revving up just before the crash.

My thinking therefore was that the GPU was shutting down to prevent damage due to the heat spike. So I decided to look into under-clocking my GPU. I installed ATI Tray Tools from here (NVIDIA users will have to search for a similar tool):
    http://guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Once installed, right-click the icon in your tray and take the Hardware menu option and then the ‘Overclocking Settings’ submenu option. On the window that pops up look in the section called Overclocking and the Voltage dropbox. Mine was set to 1.2 volts. I reduced it to 0.95 volts and went into the crashing areas.

I noted that my FPS (Frames per Second) had dropped dramatically to 10 to 15 PFS from 50 or 60 before, so I reduced some settings to High from Very High and got the FPS back to 30 to 40 FPS and … didn’t crash once! I played happily in the crashing areas for over an hour without a problem whereas I would have crashed in less than three minutes before the change. Also my GPU fans were completely silent without the constant whine they had had before.

So underclocking has fixed my problem with Lotro crashing in certain areas.

However, please note that messing with the voltages of any part of your PC can damage components, make your PC unstable and possible render your machine unusable. PLEASE do NOT do this unless you are very confident in what you are doing and are prepared to take the consequences.

I started having similar problem a few weeks ago. The game would load to a black screen. In my case I had just to press Alt Enter to toggle from full screen to windowed and back to full screen. It solved my problem at the time. You may want to try it... Whenever you get a black screen, press Alt Enter. You can then press Alt Enter again to switch back to windowed/full screen.

Good luck!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420801000021b113/signature.png]Kabosh[/charsig]

Wow, so no real solution from Turbine on this at all? Are any of you still having this problem? I've had it since I installed Update 6 so I haven't been on Lotro at all since then. Just glad I didn't have a subscription at the time. This would have really set me off. It doesn't matter where I am in Lotro now, my PC crashes and I have to reboot. Did Update 7 do anything for any of you. Has Turbine fixed this at all?

Joel

AW: Crashing to Black screen after update 6

Turbine answered my queries and made a few suggestions. I opened up the case and blew out the dust from the heat sink and fans on the GPU. The problem went away. Not sure why the problem coincided with the update.

I have the same problem now with a brand new GTX 680 with a Artic Cooler, so the card definitly does NOT overheat.

Also sometimes at "big bangs" I crash to the desktop. I had this on a few massive hits with loads of special effects.

I checked the turbine crash log file and there was no note about any DLL causing the problem, it's just a access violation.
    And no, my memory is not corrupted, I run several tests on it. Also, it's new RAM and I had the same problem with the old one.

GTX 680
    Creative Soundblaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
    AMD Phenom II 1090
    16 GB RAM

running Lotro in DX11 on maximum details.

Crash logs show a access violation 05, I would have to be at home to be able to tell the adress it tries to access.