We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Master of Tales..

This seems to have degenerated into a yellow vs. blue debate. Neither build is better, they are simply different.

Yellow:
    Pros:
    Power Efficiency
    Damage prevention
    AoE healing
    Fellowship buffs
    Some DPS contribution
    Easy retrait to solo (4y/3b to 4y/3r)

Cons:
    Individual heals are smaller
    More micromanagement of multiple anthems
    More chaotic when things go badly

Blue:
    Pros:
    Bigger single target healing capacity
    Less threat
    Simpler gameplay mechanic
    Better emergency management

Cons:
    Less contributions when things are going well
    Need to retrait to solo
    [url=http://alesandtales.com]The Lonely Mountain Band[/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/freestyleharp]Freestyle![/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/winharperella]Winner: Top Guild Leader![/url]|[url=Weatherstock.guildlaunch.com]Weatherstock V[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by bastiat1 View Post
    The Thread is Master of Tales. I generally run 5. I've never had issues. I'd be more apt to go 4 if they would return the armour bonus to 4-yellow. I would say if you aren't 4 yellow and keeping Anthems up you aren't maximizing group effectiveness. Don't hate the player- hate the game.
    What anthem buffs are you depriving your group of? You can keep up Prowess and War and AotTA without going too deep into yellow, the ICM buff, Tact Mit buff are all next to negligible. If you aren't able to properly respond to mass damage you aren't carrying your own weight as a Mins imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Binidj View Post
    Ah, silly me ... obvious troll is (or has just become) obvious.
    Right. My point was simply Yellow line does not at all alleviate the healing burden, and is a source of liability.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    Right. My point was simply Yellow line does not at all alleviate the healing burden, and is a source of liability.
    Hmmm. I thought your point was that nothing could be healed traited yellow that could be healed traited red.
    Adaaon (Minstrel), Gwydionn (Hunter), Tarrann (Burglar)
    [url]http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by bastiat1 View Post
    Hmmm. I thought your point was that nothing could be healed traited yellow that could be healed traited red.
    Yellow traits contribute to heals in the same fashion red do.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Souku View Post
    for minstrels that aren't skilled enough at the class to keep anthems up while healing then they might as well go blue line though because they aren't going to be able to take advantage of the yellow build (5s cooldown/35s duration).
    If you want to gimp yourself thats your business. You can get as many anthems as you need 3y 4b.

Maybe I'm just not "skilled" enough to run yellow line and keep up anthems all the time while healing. But hey, it was enough to heal world first acid T2 challenge (ya know, back when you had one shot at it per trash clear) and world 2nd shadow t2c clear. But I guess I'm a fail mini, what do I know.

How come the majority of minis in all the trailblazing kins run deep in the blue line I wonder? Sure, once strats are known you can run with less effective healing builds, people know the strat, take less damage etc. But for fights where you absolutely need the most healing possible, you just can't beat the 4b/3y build for its mix of powerful anthem buffs and all out healing capability. Its really the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by swordmonkey; Mar 08 2012 at 02:28 AM.
    -Findaratos mini ~ Shock and Awe
    -Fingolfinfelagund champ ​~ Professional Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by swordmonkey View Post
    How come the majority of minis in all the trailblazing kins run deep in the blue line I wonder? Sure, once strats are known you can run with less effective healing builds, people know the strat, take less damage etc. But for fights where you absolutely need the most healing possible, you just can't beat the 4b/3y build for its mix of powerful anthem buffs and all out healing capability. Its really the best of both worlds.
    I have to agree with this but also add that it's not just the trailblazing kin minnie who needs as much blue as possible. It's the smaller raiding kins who have strong players carrying weaker players due to lack of members and a dislike of pulling in randoms.

I'm a strong minstrel in our kin but for anything greater than 6 man (specifically Orthanc) I have to try and make up for the lack of skill/understanding of the second minnie in the group who generally only feels responsible for their own fellowship and almost never cross heals or simply cannot keep up with healing anything other than the main tank.

Basically what I'm saying is that I go deep blue 9/10 times and would love the luxury of running with more yellow in my builds.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000005f6d5/01006/signature.png]Gwaithollien[/charsig]

Ninith WDN 75 | Gwaithollien CHM 75 | Cebra MIN 75 | Lylyth RK 68

If you want to gimp yourself thats your business. You can get as many anthems as you need 3y 4b.
    it's really not about "as many anthems as you need" though. it's also about being able to use your coda liberally and still get the important anthems (prowess, war) going again quickly so that they don't drop for the group.

Maybe I'm just not "skilled" enough to run yellow line and keep up anthems all the time while healing. But hey, it was enough to heal world first acid T2 challenge (ya know, back when you had one shot at it per trash clear) and world 2nd shadow t2c clear. But I guess I'm a fail mini, what do I know.
    i have no idea if you are skilled or not i've never played with you. congrats on your kin's accomplishments though.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000d123b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    The [url="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"]Noldor[/url] of Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Souku View Post
    it's really not about "as many anthems as you need" though. it's also about being able to use your coda liberally and still get the important anthems (prowess, war) going again quickly so that they don't drop for the group.

i have no idea if you are skilled or not i've never played with you. congrats on your kin's accomplishments though.
    Thanks, I probably went a bit overboard on the sarcasm .

I find that I am able to keep up the anthems needed for the fight at hand, either tac mit, healing, prowess, or prowess, war and healing. Its still pretty fast to get buffs rolling again in this setup, 10s cd, 30s duration. Combine that with group CtG and I feel my group buffs are pretty solid while keeping heal numbers maxxed. And there is this myth that the extra blue is all overheal, but I don't agree at all, most good 25k ish morale guards with max mits are always happy to soak up another 7k+ bolster. Not to mention the overheal mechanic in several fights that depends on you hitting some big heals on the target to quickly get them out of danger.

Don't get me wrong I would love to run more yellow (5y/5b would be fantastic for fire&frost challenge but oh well hehe), I was a big fan of 5y/2b and 4y/3b back in the day. Right now though, yellow line is just meh. And I have tried these builds, for intense content I find I don't have the time to keep up more than 2 or 3 anthems at a time while keeping the group alive. Let me know when the armor tale is changed to -10% incoming damage for the group and I'll take a look at it again.
    Last edited by swordmonkey; Mar 08 2012 at 04:16 PM.
    -Findaratos mini ~ Shock and Awe
    -Fingolfinfelagund champ ​~ Professional Awesome

I don't understand the claim that with 4/5Y you have to do a LOT less healing than with 3Y. It doesn't make any sense on the numbers.

Even if your team is way below level cap on tactical mit, and hence gets full benefit from Anthem of Composure, the claim doesn't make sense.
    Aiwyn Bladesinger of Elendilmir
    Minstrel for Endeavor

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    Any instance you can heal while yellow traited you can heal while red traited.
    Interesting theory ... I've got to run that by my raid leader and ask him to let me try it, now that I've proven to him that I can heal Saruman (T1) just fine with 4y/3b, keeping my fellowship up, cross-healing into the other fellowship inbetween and all the while cuddling my sobbing 6-year-old on my lap through phase 4+5 who just woke up from a bad nightmare .

I still haven't done Orthanc T2, but I can do T1 with a moderately equipped raid group just fine traited yellow, and a fellow kinship member actually does heal Orthanc T2 with his raid group traited 4y/3b and finds it a lot easier that way than traited 4 blue, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtMonash View Post
    I don't understand the claim that with 4/5Y you have to do a LOT less healing than with 3Y. It doesn't make any sense on the numbers.

Even if your team is way below level cap on tactical mit, and hence gets full benefit from Anthem of Composure, the claim doesn't make sense.
    Like I said before, I haven't done the math, but my feeling is that there's much more than pure numbers involved. With four yellow, I find I often use anthems for their coda effects as much as for their anthem effect, thus giving me several new skills to use. I can't pinpoint what the difference really is, but I find myself using skills and effects in quite a different manner than traited blue (or rather, the 5s cooldown makes me play very differently from having the 10s cooldown, which is the main difference between 3 and 4 yellow traits).

Forget the math and try it for yourself. It takes some getting used to, since the 5s cooldown gives you a good number of additional effects you can use in a fight, but I've found quite a number of people who were originally wary of traiting yellow and ended up prefering to play that way due to the flexibility the 5s cooldown offers you to react to changes in the flow of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramor View Post
    I still haven't done Orthanc T2, but I can do T1 with a moderately equipped raid group just fine traited yellow, and a fellow kinship member actually does heal Orthanc T2 with his raid group traited 4y/3b and finds it a lot easier that way than traited 4 blue, too.
    I think this depends entirely on the skill and equipment of your group. Our kin is still working our way through Saruman T1 and due to the inexperience of certain members within the kin, myself and the fellow minstrel need to push out tons of healing, we've become heal bots.

Are you healing T1 Saruman in Harmony or Melody stance? I just can't bring myself to give up AoTA's benefits even though I'm close to 23-24k tactical mastery in my healing build.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000005f6d5/01006/signature.png]Gwaithollien[/charsig]

Ninith WDN 75 | Gwaithollien CHM 75 | Cebra MIN 75 | Lylyth RK 68

Quote Originally Posted by Cebra View Post
    Are you healing T1 Saruman in Harmony or Melody stance? I just can't bring myself to give up AoTA's benefits even though I'm close to 23-24k tactical mastery in my healing build.
    I'm healing all of Orthanc in Melody stance. Melody is my prefered stance for healing content that I don't know well yet, and we've only just gotten to the point where we were able to clear all of Orthanc T1 late in February.

Once we get to the point where we're all more familiar with the fight and its requirements Harmony might actually be the better stance to be in, since that would help with the damage that keeps threatening the burglars and captains and keeps me from concentrating mainly on the tank(s).

It's mostly a question of emergency healing I think. Once I know a fight and know when to anticipate spike damage to single targets I get by well with Harmony. Until I get there I'd rather have the emergency combination of Anthem of the Third age (Melody), Coda, instant Bolster Courage, Cry of the Chorus, and Chord of Salvation plus another Anthem/Coda/BC combination almost instantly if things really go bad quickly (thanks to the 5s cooldown I'm able to pull up two of those combinations closely together).

Since Roi, Ive healed in 5 yellows, 5 blues, 4 yellow/3 blue, 4 blue,2 yellow 1 red (my now preffered non raid set up).

To tell you the truth, they all worked. In the end , as being a pure healer at heart, I prefer the 4 blue/3 yellow for raid set up. I can hit bigger numbers and keep the most important anthems up.

I do not see a huge benefit from master of tales. As such , I will not trait it unless they can give me better overall yellows. In the end, I heal my group more, I crit more and I keep my group alive easier. Also, they really need to look at the master of tales combined effect, not all of it is all that useful.

Secondly, you will get the most benefit from the anthems in pulls where you have the most time, anytime you have to spam heal to keep people alive, the anthems is the first thing to go.

Heal how you like, doesnt matter to me. Ive seen minis that were great in yellow, Ive seen minis that were great in blue. Ive also seen the reverse in both. Its more of a matter of being able to know both your rotation, gauge the instance , the timing and being able to watch 12 morale bars at once.

I know when Im "ON" I feel like I could heal the entire raid,myself, no matter what, I generally scoff at the other healer in my head. Good thing I keep that to myself though, becuase Im not always "on" , there are times I know my reactions are too slow and I should be hitting stuff faster, gauging and reacting quicker. Its just at that time I might be burnt out with the 2 hours I just spent in the t2 raid ect, or just tired . I shouldve offered to go as my hunter and pew pewed =P.

I know some of you are probably always "on" , but Im not . One of the reasons I have alts, always nice to get a break. I love to heal, but its also nice to burn stuff down.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000001f0d6/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    75's: Mevelvith (HNT), Carfail (LM), Anglegas (CHN), Silverwinds (RK), Prada (Burg)
    SeaofStars(WD) Upnext: 12 CPT Lanmoir

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2