We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1

    Master of Tales..

    The yellow capstone should make your tales immune to dropping due to being feared or for any other reason.

    That is all.
    Last edited by JAfps; Mar 05 2012 at 05:06 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002039ed/signature.png]Calagos[/charsig]

  2. #2

    Re: Master of Tales..

    The Yellow Capstone would be utter garbage even if Silence didn't drop them. And if you cure it quick enough, it doesn't drop them.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

  3. #3

    Re: Master of Tales..

    The yellow capstone is great for "Look at my buff!" IMO, this is a great build for a 2nd minstrel w/ a slow connection. But perhaps not the best for a main healer. As far as silences go... outside of the Moors, its not such a big deal. We get silenced by some wargs and spirits, but this has always been the case. You have to put up the tales again and usually lose them for the duration of the fight.

    --Harper
    [url=http://alesandtales.com]The Lonely Mountain Band[/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/freestyleharp]Freestyle![/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/winharperella]Winner: Top Guild Leader![/url]|[url=Weatherstock.guildlaunch.com]Weatherstock V[/url]

  4. #4

    Re: Master of Tales..

    The dual tales is kind of a nice skill but it's unfortunate that you have to trait 5 deep in a traitline that really only has 2 or 3 useful traits to get it. I really think the devs need to review some of the yellow traits as they are mostly useless. I'd really like to try healing in Protector of Song because of the slightly more buffing/preventative healing approach (vs the reactive approach of WoR) but the traits are just plain bad.
    Freeps @ Dwarrowdelf: r10 Mini
    Creeps @ Dwarrowdelf: r11 Reaver, r10 Warg, r9 Defiler, r9 Spider, r8 WL, r8 BA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2

    Re: Master of Tales..

    We are trying to find a way to use Master of tales as a buffer/ third mini in a raid but find it difficult because the Master of Tales has to be traited 5 yellow making them trait several useless traits but also because if you put 2 minis in the same fellow you cancel each others codas if you do not plan ahead for the Master not to coda, which then makes him handi-capped not being able to use several skills.
    Last edited by Lileva; Mar 05 2012 at 03:54 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000009f53b/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Field of Crows, United Kingdom
    Posts
    149

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
    I'd really like to try healing in Protector of Song because of the slightly more buffing/preventative healing approach (vs the reactive approach of WoR) but the traits are just plain bad.
    I heal in 4y/3b all the time now and have to disagree about the traits, put together they make an incredible difference to my performance even though individually they may not look like much. That said, I don't bother with Master of Tales as I prefer to have the 3 healing legendaries instead.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR="#FFD700"][SIZE=3][I]"Goddess of song, teach me the story of a hero"[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001c9ba3/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  7. #7

    Re: Master of Tales..

    For dps races I now try to trait 4Y/3B with dragon arrmor to keep 3 tales up but its painful giving up so much healing. The 5 seconds on anthem cooldown is vital thou. If I go 4B/3Y I tend to only keep 2 anthems up and I can't stand not have the healing anthem up(third age I think its called) so I end up dropping BoW. For dps races the RL insists on both dps tales so I don't have a lot of choice. Aside from the fact I heal less I enjoy 4Y/3B a lot more as its fun rolling thru all the anthems.

    It really sucks using codas in that stance as the time to get back to anthem casting is really disruptive to my rotation.

  8. #8

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by Binidj View Post
    I heal in 4y/3b all the time now and have to disagree about the traits, put together they make an incredible difference to my performance even though individually they may not look like much. That said, I don't bother with Master of Tales as I prefer to have the 3 healing legendaries instead.
    There are 2 decent yellow traits. The one reducing anthem cooldowns and the one increasing their durations. All the other 5 provide next to nothing to anyone. Except you're forced to trait these fail traits for the yellow set bonuses.

    Quote Originally Posted by xadoor View Post
    For dps races I now try to trait 4Y/3B with dragon arrmor to keep 3 tales up but its painful giving up so much healing. The 5 seconds on anthem cooldown is vital thou. If I go 4B/3Y I tend to only keep 2 anthems up and I can't stand not have the healing anthem up(third age I think its called) so I end up dropping BoW. For dps races the RL insists on both dps tales so I don't have a lot of choice. Aside from the fact I heal less I enjoy 4Y/3B a lot more as its fun rolling thru all the anthems.

    It really sucks using codas in that stance as the time to get back to anthem casting is really disruptive to my rotation.
    Technically you can keep up 3 anthems 3y/4b, but your timing has to be exact. I usually run that and avoid using BC right before my anthems are back up.
    Last edited by PhantomPunkk; Mar 06 2012 at 11:31 AM.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

  9. #9

    Re: Master of Tales..

    I thought they had fixed the double-Minstrel Coda issue. I ran the Foundry last night with another Minstrel who makes liberal use of her Coda (I think due to a misunderstanding about Composure's added effect), and had no issue with my Ballads getting stripped away.

  10. #10

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by xadoor View Post
    For dps races I now try to trait 4Y/3B with dragon arrmor to keep 3 tales up but its painful giving up so much healing. The 5 seconds on anthem cooldown is vital thou. If I go 4B/3Y I tend to only keep 2 anthems up and I can't stand not have the healing anthem up(third age I think its called) so I end up dropping BoW. For dps races the RL insists on both dps tales so I don't have a lot of choice. Aside from the fact I heal less I enjoy 4Y/3B a lot more as its fun rolling thru all the anthems.

    It really sucks using codas in that stance as the time to get back to anthem casting is really disruptive to my rotation.
    Artie, your enjoyment of a 4y/3b build is unacceptable. From now on for dps races I intend to demand a 6 yellow build for "extra buffing". Additionally, you will be required to trait so that you can unlock WS skills in order to gain more dps.

    That is all.

    /Scrump

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Field of Crows, United Kingdom
    Posts
    149

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    There are 2 decent yellow traits. The one reducing anthem cooldowns and the one increasing their durations. All the other 5 provide next to nothing to anyone. Except you're forced to trait these fail traits for the yellow set bonuses.
    Well there's the two you've cited plus Flow of Harmony which reduces Anthem cost by 10% and Battle-hymn which boosts Anthem of Prowess +Evade and +Armour. These are fantastic for the yellow-traited healer as they reduce healing required and reduce power consumption. When healing almost all of my power is spent on my Anthem rotation, only throwing out the occasional spot heal once or twice a rotation.


    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    Technically you can keep up 3 anthems 3y/4b, but your timing has to be exact. I usually run that and avoid using BC right before my anthems are back up.
    Running in Harmony stance, Anthem of the Third Age stays up permanently and gives another reduction to Anthem cost. After that I keep Anthem of the Free Peoples, Anthem of Composure, Anthem of Prowess and (assuming I haven't had to throw out too many sequence-breaking heals) Anthem of War. So that's 5 Anthems I can keep up if all goes according to plan and 4 I can keep up if things start going to hell. Also having all these Anthems up means that if I do need to use my Coda, I get quite a big bang for my buck. The key thing is that I can keep my fellowship healed using just these Anthems and the occasional heal whilst using very little power. With the Anthem of Composure Coda effect I can keep going for quite a while. I don't have a fantastic PC by the way, in fact it's beginning to show its age now, and my internet connection is regular broadband not high-speed, also I'm rubbish so honestly if I can do it anyone (not on a Pentium 4 with dial-up) can.

    When yellow-traited there is no need to rely on the Melody-stance Anthem of the Third Age healing bonus because your fellowship isn't taking very much damage at all thanks to the buffs you're putting out. Essentially you are swapping out big heals for being able to heal forever ... thus far that's a trade well worth making in my experience.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR="#FFD700"][SIZE=3][I]"Goddess of song, teach me the story of a hero"[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001c9ba3/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  12. #12

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by Binidj View Post
    Well there's the two you've cited plus Flow of Harmony which reduces Anthem cost by 10% and Battle-hymn which boosts Anthem of Prowess +Evade and +Armour. These are fantastic for the yellow-traited healer as they reduce healing required and reduce power consumption. When healing almost all of my power is spent on my Anthem rotation, only throwing out the occasional spot heal once or twice a rotation.



    Running in Harmony stance, Anthem of the Third Age stays up permanently and gives another reduction to Anthem cost. After that I keep Anthem of the Free Peoples, Anthem of Composure, Anthem of Prowess and (assuming I haven't had to throw out too many sequence-breaking heals) Anthem of War. So that's 5 Anthems I can keep up if all goes according to plan and 4 I can keep up if things start going to hell. Also having all these Anthems up means that if I do need to use my Coda, I get quite a big bang for my buck. The key thing is that I can keep my fellowship healed using just these Anthems and the occasional heal whilst using very little power. With the Anthem of Composure Coda effect I can keep going for quite a while. I don't have a fantastic PC by the way, in fact it's beginning to show its age now, and my internet connection is regular broadband not high-speed, also I'm rubbish so honestly if I can do it anyone (not on a Pentium 4 with dial-up) can.

    When yellow-traited there is no need to rely on the Melody-stance Anthem of the Third Age healing bonus because your fellowship isn't taking very much damage at all thanks to the buffs you're putting out. Essentially you are swapping out big heals for being able to heal forever ... thus far that's a trade well worth making in my experience.
    In a word? No.

    The trait that buffs prowess increases it by an infinitesimal amount. A fraction of a percent. What's more, the increase is on an already negligible stat aspect of the skill, no-one uses prowess for anything but the -attack duration buff.

    You'd be better off grabbing the power reduction trait on perfect ballads than 10% less anthem power cost unless you're doing something that requires no healing.

    Your anthems don't increase survivability by anything even remotely resembling a significant amount. That is a statistical truth. If you are getting by with having 5 anthems up, clearly you're not doing anything that actually requires heals.

    There is no bang for buck in using a coda, only 2 of the effects granted by anthems are any use to anyone in group content. The power restore and the free BC.

    And technically you can keep up more than 5 anthems b/c if you use anthem of the third age in harmony, then drop harmony, it will be permanent if you're 4y and you can now use the melody anthem of the third age too.
    Last edited by PhantomPunkk; Mar 07 2012 at 08:21 AM.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Field of Crows, United Kingdom
    Posts
    149

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    Your anthems don't increase survivability by anything even remotely resembling a significant amount. That is a statistical truth. If you are getting by with having 5 anthems up, clearly you're not doing anything that actually requires heals.
    I'm doing on-level instances with similar level fellowships (no 75s boosting us through) so I can't really see that those don't require healing. My experience tells me that the Anthems I can keep up means that I need to use far fewer heals. Sorry if your experience is different.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    There is no bang for buck in using a coda, only 2 of the effects granted by anthems are any use to anyone in group content. The power restore and the free BC.
    There's a decent group HoT that goes off too ... but you'd need to be in Harmony to get that.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    And technically you can keep up more than 5 anthems b/c if you use anthem of the third age in harmony, then drop harmony, it will be permanent if you're 4y and you can now use the melody anthem of the third age too.
    Sounds like an exploit to me, so I'll pass.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR="#FFD700"][SIZE=3][I]"Goddess of song, teach me the story of a hero"[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001c9ba3/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    672

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by Lileva View Post
    if you put 2 minis in the same fellow you cancel each others codas if you do not plan ahead for the Master not to coda, which then makes him handi-capped not being able to use several skills.
    That bug has been fixed a while ago. We often run with several minstrels in harmony and/or warspeech in a single fellowship, and everyone can spam their coda just fine without interfering with the other minstrels.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    Your anthems don't increase survivability by anything even remotely resembling a significant amount. That is a statistical truth. If you are getting by with having 5 anthems up, clearly you're not doing anything that actually requires heals.
    Interesting theory. I've never done the maths since it doesn't help me in practice as it doesn't include general chaos and panic or simple reaction times. All I know is that my raidleader keeps telling me I need to re-trait to 4b/3y instead of my prefered 4y/3b, when obviously his part of the raid is always much lower in overall morale and he's much busier pumping out emergency heals (and running out of power) while I have a smooth run with a fellowship comfortably full of morale and only spot-heals needed between anthems. It doesn't depend on the fellowship members either, we switch fellowship members around constantly but the effect stays.

    I don't think it's only due to the anthems that I can keep my group comfortably supplied in morale with four yellow traits, but part of it is probably due to the fact that I need much less emergency action that way and can think and react more calmly than I do when traiting blue over yellow. Bigger heals won't help me if I don't have the reflexes to put the heals on all fellowship members at once. Traiting yellow I find I don't have to spread big heals nearly as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    There is no bang for buck in using a coda, only 2 of the effects granted by anthems are any use to anyone in group content. The power restore and the free BC.
    You forget the coda's primary effect. I find I don't use the straight single target heal of the melody coda all that much but tend to keep it as an emergency heal (or two if I combine it with the free BC) for larger single-target damage, but I'm running in harmony stance in most instances except Orthanc raid, and the aoe heal of the harmony coda is very powerful and makes additional healing almost non-needed.

    Just last night we were running one of the Annuminas instances (lvl 75) in a kin group, and I was spamming my regular harmony rotation of minor-perfect-minor-anthem-coda (rotating the four group anthems in that setup to keep all of the effects up on the fellowship), and the captain was complaining that he didn't get a chance to practice his healing skills because the group was allways at full health or at least close to it. A single harmony coda did between 1.2k and 1.5k healing per group member (going up to above 2.5k for the occasional crit) which has considerably more impact on the flow of combat than the other group heals we have (especially since you can effectively spam the harmony coda every 6-8 seconds that way).

  15. #15

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Any instance you can heal while yellow traited you can heal while red traited.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

  16. #16

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    The trait that buffs prowess increases it by an infinitesimal amount. A fraction of a percent. What's more, the increase is on an already negligible stat aspect of the skill, no-one uses prowess for anything but the -attack duration buff.

    You'd be better off grabbing the power reduction trait on perfect ballads than 10% less anthem power cost unless you're doing something that requires no healing.
    I agree with this unfortunately. This is the reality, that the yellow line is bad besides two traits (the ones that affect anthems). Yes there are a few extra power reduction traits, but if you are short on power then you're doing something wrong. With Anthem of Composure, it's pretty easy to keep your power up indefinitely.
    Freeps @ Dwarrowdelf: r10 Mini
    Creeps @ Dwarrowdelf: r11 Reaver, r10 Warg, r9 Defiler, r9 Spider, r8 WL, r8 BA

  17. #17

    Re: Master of Tales..

    I still use Absolute Pitch in WS (and otherwise too) - I don't want to be reliant on my Coda. I know it's there, of course, and I won't hesitate to use it if my remaining power starts to drip, but if I can delay the need to do that, I hardly think that a bad thing.

  18. #18

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    Any instance you can heal while yellow traited you can heal while red traited.
    I guess I should start traiting red then because we've beaten every encounter you have while traited yellow.
    Adaaon (Minstrel), Gwydionn (Hunter), Tarrann (Burglar)
    [url]http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com[/url]

  19. #19

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by bastiat1 View Post
    I guess I should start traiting red then because we've beaten every encounter you have while traited yellow.
    How much yellow? If you say 5 I'd say you're a liability to the group. 3 Yellows is pretty standard though. Lots of the content in Orthanc can be done without the ideal setup. I didn't say it couldn't be done, only that is was a worse way to do things.

    I'm bitter about the Yellow line b/c so many of the traits are simply not good, I resent having to go for the third just to be able to keep up Prowess/War/AotTA.

    But then again there are only 4 good Blue traits so it works out...I guess.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000008bdab/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    124

    Re: Master of Tales..

    So far, I've seen one fight that clearly favors 4y/3b - shadow challenge. Bukot doesn't hit that hard and the adds should be controlled to reduce the damage they do, so the loss of overall healing isn't a big deal. Keeping the dps anthems with a shorter cd and longer duration is very useful, however.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000a740c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  21. #21

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    How much yellow? If you say 5 I'd say you're a liability to the group.
    The Thread is Master of Tales. I generally run 5. I've never had issues. I'd be more apt to go 4 if they would return the armour bonus to 4-yellow. I would say if you aren't 4 yellow and keeping Anthems up you aren't maximizing group effectiveness. Don't hate the player- hate the game.
    Adaaon (Minstrel), Gwydionn (Hunter), Tarrann (Burglar)
    [url]http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com[/url]

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    530

    Re: Master of Tales..

    you simply do not need the little bit of extra healing provided by going deep into blue line. most of it is probably over-healing anyway.

    i generally run master of tales for encounters with mostly common damage (othanc trash clears, foundry, skirmishes, etc) and then switch to 4y/3b for fights that are mostly tactical damage (lightning boss for example)

    for minstrels that aren't skilled enough at the class to keep anthems up while healing then they might as well go blue line though because they aren't going to be able to take advantage of the yellow build (5s cooldown/35s duration).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000d123b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    The [url="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"]Noldor[/url] of Arkenstone

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Field of Crows, United Kingdom
    Posts
    149

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPunkk View Post
    Any instance you can heal while yellow traited you can heal while red traited.
    Ah, silly me ... obvious troll is (or has just become) obvious.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR="#FFD700"][SIZE=3][I]"Goddess of song, teach me the story of a hero"[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001c9ba3/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    124

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by Souku View Post
    for minstrels that aren't skilled enough at the class to keep anthems up while healing then they might as well go blue line though because they aren't going to be able to take advantage of the yellow build (5s cooldown/35s duration).
    Right, b/c the only people who prefer 4b are those less skilled.

    The trolls are definitely out.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000a740c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    530

    Re: Master of Tales..

    Quote Originally Posted by Corienne View Post
    Right, b/c the only people who prefer 4b are those less skilled.

    The trolls are definitely out.
    that's not what i said. i'm just pointing out that the only reason to trait yellow is if you are able to actually make use of what it gives you in terms of anthems. the yellow traits themselves are of zero benefit unless minstrel is going heavy into anthem usage.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000d123b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    The [url="http://thenoldor.guildlaunch.com"]Noldor[/url] of Arkenstone

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload