We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Total Immersion: The Road Goes Ever On - A Hobbit's Tale

My last story, Total Immersion -The Quest for Moria has finally drawn to a close, and very succesfully I might add. I had a great deal of fun on the long journey and, as I have mentioned before, I had plans to return to the original story of Ingion. However, though the story of Nuri was very enjoyable, I did not wish to follow it up with a similar dour and grim story. Instead, I opted for the telling of a hobbit's tale. Thus this story idea was born.

TOTAL IMMERSION RULES

1. Travel: I will only travel on foot or by regular mounts and absolutely no swift travel horses or map recall use. Except when in a quest, lair, dungeon, combat, etc, I will walk everywhere - I will allow myself to run for short periods of time, however, when undergoing general overland travel.

2. Chat / Speech: I will always stay in rp character at all times during Chat. I will chat in OOC when it is necessary however, since there are times I might want to talk to someone out of game.

3. Food and Rest: I will follow the LOTRO day/night cycle closely and force myself to rest at a safe location such as an inn or in a town if such an inn is not available. The day/night cycles are:

Dawn
    Morning
    Noon
    Afternoon
    Dusk
    Gloaming
    Evening
    Midnight
    Late Watches
    Foredawn

I must rest during the night cycles of Evening, Midnight, Late Watches and Foredawn each day (or at least camp/rest for four cycles each day/evening). I can hang around an inn, for example, and rp a bit with other players, but no going out into town to shop or craft, etc. This is to simulate my character actually resting. During the rest time I must eat a meal of some kind - perferably hobbit food. I should also try to rest at least once during the day, to sit and enjoy a bit of a second breakfast or perhaps a cup of tea.

If I am away from a town or settlement, things will become more tricky. I will attempt to find a safe spot to camp for the evening - this means halting my journey and actually sit my toon down for rest.

5. Promoting Realism: This rule is a catch-all for such things as no jumping off high cliffs, swimming with armour on, jumping around while I am moving, jumping every fence I come across, etc.

6. My Tale: As always, I will keep a log here on this thread of my travels. I will not partake in any quest that is not detailed in the general story line. This will probably limit my level advancement considerably. For sake of the adventure, I will be using the Shire calendar during the story:

7.RPing a Hobbit: Theodoras Took is your typical, sensible hobbit, not a hero or adventurer, and I am going to play him as such. I completed the Hobbit intro then went through his gear and sold off almost all his stuff - he after all only a hobbit. Of all the gear, I kept for him a woven cloak, a padded shirt, quilted legging and a honed dagger. In keeping with rping a hobbit, I will not use such gear as shoulder guards, helms, gloves or, heaven forbid, shoes or boots. Once Theodoras has "grown" so to speak, I may reward him with some special armour or a sword, very much like how Bilbo found Sting or was given his mithril shirt by Thorin Oakenshield.

The most important aspect in rping a hobbit will be during quests. Theodoras is not Bandobras "Bullroarer" Took and he is certainly NOT a warrior. Thus, should quests call for combat, I will need to seek the aid of other, non-hobbit players to aid him in completing the quests. Theodoras will be able to help in the combats, but he will certainly not be charging into a wolf lair all by himself! This also means no random slaying of mobs during his travels.

8. Death and Defeat: Since I love a challenge, I will add in a final rule, even more restrictive than with my first Total Immersion story. Theodoras cannot be defeated by any means during the story - should this occur, he will be considered truly dead. To track this, I will periodically post screenshots of the Survival titles as I recieve them, beginning with "The Wary", which you gain when reaching level 5 without being defeated in battle. This is followed by the Undefeated (level 10th), the Indomitable (level 14th), the Unscathed (level 17th) and finally with the Undying (level 20th).

STORY BACKGROUND

Theodoras Took, known to his closest friends as simply Theo, was born on June 9th, 1268 of the Shire Reckoning (2968 TA). His father, Isengar, of a respectable Took family in Tuckburough, was a spirited but decent Hobbit who pased much of his Tookishness to his only son. His mother, Peony Bolger of the Budgeford Bolgers, moved from her family home to reside in a modest but pleasant smial built by her husband for his new bride.

As a young Hobbit, Theo was eager and bright-eyed, not to mention a bit of a rascal, who (in his mother's eyes) foolishly spent his childhood days wandering afar in the fields and dales of the Greenhills Country around Tuckburough. His meandering over his beloved Shire brought out a rare flash of something not very Hobbit-like in the young Theodoras. He often enjoyed tales of all sorts that he could bend an ear to, and spoke to strangers that sometimes passed through the Shire for the lands beyond. Theodoras even thought he had seen an Elf once in the woods far east of Tuckburough and this only heightened his restlessness and eagerness for all things new and especially of the wide world beyond the borders of the Shire.

When Theodoras was only entering his tweens (a Hobbit's coming of age at thirty-three, after having gone through the irresponsible age between childhood and 33), his mother succumed to fever and died. His father, Isengar, heartbroken over the loss of his wife, soon fell ill with grief and died a year later. Theodoras was taken in by relatives on his mother's side to live in Budgeford.

Theodoras Took's Family Trees

Last edited by Brucha; Mar 05 2012 at 12:40 AM.

Re: Total Immersion: The Road Goes Ever On - A Hobbit's Tale

CHAPTER LIST

Chapter One: To Join the Bounders – 25 Winterfilth, 1417 SR
    Chapter Two: Michel Delving – 25 Winterfilth, 1417 SR
    Chapter Three: The Founding Writ– 26 Winterfilth, 1417 SR
    Chapter Four: A Hobbit in Need – 26 Winterfilth, 1417 SR
    Chapter Five: The Black Rider: Part One – 27 to 30 Winterfilth, 1417 SR
    Chapter Six: The Black Rider: Part Two– 27 to 30 Winterfilth, 1417 SR
    Chapter Seven: The Veiled Menace – 1 to 3 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Eight: The Menace Confronted – 1 to 3 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Nine: New Neighbours – 4 to 6 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Ten: The Yale-Height – 6 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Eleven: The Warg of Budgeford – 7 to 8 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twelve: A Grand Adventure – 16 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Thirteen: Dangers in the Bree-fields – 17 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Fourteen: The Old Forest-Part One – 18 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Fifteen: The Old Forest-Part Two – 19 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Sixteen: The Old Forest-Part Three – 19 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Seventeen: Bree at Last – 20-22 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Eighteen: A Dwarf in Need – 22 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Nineteen: A Boar's Den– 22 to 23 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twenty: A Blade for a Life – 23 to 24 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twenty-one: A Penny Short – 25 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twenty-two: A Company of Dwarves – 26 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twenty-three: Barrow-spiders – 27 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twenty-four: Gwigon’s Lair – 27 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twenty-five: A Ring Wandered Away – 28 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twenty-six: Shield-brother – 29 Blotmath, 1417 SR
    Chapter Twenty-seven: Home at Last – 29 Blotmath to 1 Foreyule, 1417 SR

Chapter Twenty-eight: Old Friends - 4 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Twenty-nine: An Unexpected Hobbit - 5 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Thirty: The Rushock Bog - 5 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Thirty-one: Friends and Enemies - 6 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Thirty-two: The Dwarves of Needlehole - 7 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Thirty-three: A Gift for the North – 7 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Thirty-four: A Gift for the North, Part Two – 7 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Thirty-five: An Unlooked-for Nuisance – 8 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Thirty-six: Bree at Last – 9 Solmath, 1418 SR
    Chapter Thirty-seven: The Brandywood – 10 Solmath, 1418 SR

DOWNLOADABLE BOOK LIST

Book I - Chapters 1 to 11 (PDF Form)
    Book II - Chapters 12 to 20 (PDF Form)
    Book II - Chapters 21 to 27 (PDF Form)
    Last edited by Brucha; Apr 16 2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Add New Chapter

Re: Total Immersion: The Raod Goes Ever On - A Hobbit's Tale

Ahh. Refreshing to see someone play a hobbit truer to there typical nature. Will be interested in seeing how long this fellow manages to stay amongst the living.

Re: Total Immersion: The Raod Goes Ever On - A Hobbit's Tale

Quote Originally Posted by Sigvardr View Post
    Ahh. Refreshing to see someone play a hobbit truer to there typical nature. Will be interested in seeing how long this fellow manages to stay amongst the living.
    Yes, Sigvardr, you are entirely correct. I will play Theodoras as a typical hobbit, despite his tookish side. For this story to work (and for Theodoras to survive to the end) I am going to call upon the members of Crickhollow to aid me, so that Theo does not perish. There are a number of quests in The Shire that do not require combat, but even then with those that do, I will need assistance.

So, if there are any wandering Dwarves, Men or Elves, and you are interested in helping me out with this, don't be surprised if a young brash, and perhaps very foolish hobbit, comes up and strikes up a conversation!

Chapter 1: To Join the Bounders – 25 Winterfilth, 1417 SR

It was a brisk evening in the lateness of autumn when there came the most astonishing piece of news in the sleepy village of Budgeford in the Shire. So shocking was the news that, for a time in Budgeford, all other matters, both small and large were entirely forgotten or put aside. It was the news that young theodoras Took was going away to join the Bounders that was generating so much talk and excitement in the tiny village along the banks of the Water.

The exact reason for what was generally considered a very rash decision on the part of the young hobbit was greatly debated from Budgeford to the Floating Log in at Frogmorton. Hobbits, for the most part, love to gossip and this was no exception. Some folk with looser tongues suggested that Theodoras was really, in fact, moving away to live with his relatives in Tookland, where his father was from. Still others fancied a more dark and sinister agenda for the surprising news. However, the general prevailing opinion was that young Theodoras had finally succumbed to that trait that seemed all too often to curse members of the Took clan.

As a matter of fact, Theodoras did possess a dash of the Old Took in him, though he would have never admitted it, even to himself. It had been some time (over thirty years to be precise) since the unfortunate and untimely passing first of his beloved mother, Peony Bolger, followed rather sadly a year later by his grieving father, Isengar Took. And yet, by all accounts, Theodoras had been left well enough off among his Bolger relatives and family in Budgeford.

By all accounts, Theodoras had been little affected by the tragic passing of his parents, and had become a neat-banded and clever young hobbit, and generally far from rash for the most part. As with most hobbits, he seemed of the sensible sort, tending to his fields in Budgeford as soon as he became of age. But there seemed something rather unusual about him that slowly began to emerge as he passed his “coming of age”.

Surprisingly, Theodoras remained unattached, as they say in the Shire, even after his turning of age at thirty-three. Some folk around Budgeford thought it rather odd, and there was much speculation on the matter in hushed conversation. But the true reason for this was not too far off from what most folk thought.

For the most part, Theodoras clung tightly to an unreasoned desire to remain free to go wherever and whenever when the chance came, or he had made up his courage, though that time had seemed never to arrive for the young hobbit. He would endlessly pester strangers who now passed through the Shire more and more frequently.

Theodoras especially loved talk of hobbits that had occasionally “gone-off” as they say. There were at least two of his distant uncles on the Took side that had done so. Much was the gossip surrounding Hildifons Took who was said to have “gone off on a journey and never returned”, and of Isengar Took (the youngest of the Old Took’s twelve children), who tale say “to have gone off to sea in his youth”. And of course there were always the stories of Bilbo Baggins, a distant relative on his mother’s side.

Thus was the talk for a week or more until one evening, towards the end of Winterfilth, Theodoras suddenly announced that he was to set off the next morning. ‘I must be going,’ he said matter-of-factly. ‘I shall go to Michel Delving to speak with the Second Shirriff. I have asked Bingo Bulger to tend my fields during my absence.’
    In fact, it was soon discovered that Theodoras had made quite a lot of arrangements already for his sudden departure. He had packed most of his belongings at his aunt’s house and placed much of his belongings into storage.

The following morning, Theodoras rose with the dawn to enjoy an early breakfast. He then walked out to the porch where he had placed his pack and walking stickand turned to bid his aunt goodbye.

‘To Michel Delving of course!’ he said to his aunt’s tearful inquiry on the porch. ‘I am unsure how long it is going to take me to get there. A pony would make the journey much faster I would think, and less tiring. But I think that I would rather enjoy the walk.’

And so he shouldered his pack then gripped his long walking stick one hand. He kissed his aunt one last time upon the check and began to make his way down from the village splashing rather noisily across the shallow ford of the Water to climb the path beyond. At the top of the slight hill, he struck the main road – the Great East Road. There Theodoras paused to look down the road, first left then to the right.

Theodoras suddenly and waved a hand in silent farewell behind him, then shouldered his pack more tightly upon his back and turned to begin walking at a leisurely pace to the west. Soon Budgeford was soon far behind him and the roof of the last farmhouse along the banks of the river sunk out of view.

With an occasion humming, the young hobbit passed quietly past fields and along hedges or low stone wall that bordered the road in many places. He had walked only for about a half an hour when there came a break in the low stone wall that ran along the side of the road. To the left, and down into a shallow bowl of sorts, sat the small marshy village of Frogmorton.

With a whistle and a light step, Theodoras strode down a muddy lane than led away from the East Road and into the village. And the bottom of the path he found a hobbit, whistling softly to himself, standing beside a mossy fence that ran around a small marshy pond.

‘Good day!’ said Theodoras with a smile as he approached. ‘A wonderful day for a stroll, wouldn’t you agree?’
    ‘Weclome to Frogmorton,’ answered the hobbit in turn. ‘Mind you step…the ground is muddy.’

‘Indeed it is!’ exclaimed Theodoras glancing down at his toes wiggling in the mud. ‘But I do not mind,’ he added with a laugh.

‘The Floating Log is a fine inn,’ said the other hobbit matter-of-factly pointing over his shoulder. ‘Follow the dry paths to the north to reach it.’

‘Ah,’ laughed Theodoras with a chuckle. ‘But inns make for long delays, as they say. I would, but it’s a fine day and the sun is shining bright. Perfect day for walking. And I have still far to go before the day is done if I am to reach Michel Delving by nightfall.’

‘But I must be going on my way,’ said Theodoras as he turned to walk back up the muddy lane to the raod. ‘But perhaps I will visit your inn upon my return to Budgeford I hear the beer is quite good!’

Once on the road again, Theodoras was soon walking along, whistling a tune as he went. The morning was slowly passing and the sun climbed high into the clear sky overhead. He had not gone far when the road began to fall away to the west, skirting past the Green Hills to the south.

The road ahead went rolling down into a gentle vale where the By-water Road runs up from Hobbiton to meet the East Road. A single narrow lane turned from the main road to plunge into the village of By-water below. Beside the start of the narrow lane stood alone hobbit, grasping a small bow of wood and a single feather stuck into his cap. Seemingly not much older than Theodoras himself, the Bounder adjusted his tunic and tried to look rather stern and important as the hobbit approached.

‘Hullo, good sir!’ said Theodoras with a smile. He stopped beside the Bounder and slid his pack to the ground at his feet and took in a deep breath of the warm autumn air. ‘Are you a Bounder, may I ask?’

The other hobbit nodded as he spoke. ‘We Bounders keep an eye on things here in Hobbiton,’ said the shirriff with an air of authority. ‘Keeping the peace is an important duty, and the Bounders only accept the stoutest of hobbits.’

‘But come,’ said Theodoras with a laugh. ‘Why all the fuss?’

There have been strange folk about in the Shire, no mistake,’ answered the Bounder in a low tone. ‘There are wolves – and worse! – beyond our borders!’

‘That is true,’ replied Theodoras. ‘And I myself am going to Michel Delving to sign on as a Bounder myself! I hope to win a Shirriff feather for myself!’

Chapter Two: Michel Delving – 25 Winterfilth, 1417 SR

Theodoras said his goodbyes to the young Bounder as his thoughts turned to lunchtime, which was even now slowly passing away. Fortunately, he had planned ahead for the journey to Michel Delving and had packed some cold roasted pork (dried and salted but just right), hard biscuits (rich but regrettably no butter) and fried mushrooms (quite possibly his favorite) for such a rest stop.

He looked about until he spied a rather comfortable-looking bank along the side of the road, beneath some thinly-clad trees. There, he tossed down his pack and sat in the green-brown grass to enjoy a pleasant lunch.

Finally, with a hefty groan, Theodoras set the food aside and splashed his face and hands with a bit of water from his flask and wrapped the remains of his meal then stuffed it back into his pack. Now, much content, the young hobbit lifted his pack to his shoulders and reached for his walking stick and once more began to follow the road to the west.

The woods and steep embankments of the hills that hugged the road to either side soon gave way to rolling hills and wide open expanses of fields and farms. Ahead the road dipped slowly into a wide space of green dotted by the occasional tree or bush. Straddling the road not too distant was a collection of wagons and tents, giving the appearance of a vast encampment of sorts.

This was Waymeet, of course, a hub of sorts of roadways. From the north came the road that led away to the Rushock Bog and, so they say, to Ered Luin, the Blue Mountains. To the south ran a single narrow lane that led through the Delving Fields and past the Southfarthing Gate.

Gladdened by the sight, Theodoras rushed down the road and into Waymeet. He slowed to a brisk walk as he turned his head this way or that, marveling at the collection of cooks, merchants, and traders gathered along the road. Then there came the sound of several strange and deep-sounding voices to his ears. He turned and with a sharp intake of breath he stopped.

It was a pair of odd-looking dwarves standing beside a stack of crates and kegs. They were speaking with a hobbit that was perched atop a low wooden table, his legs dangling over the side, which sat right in the grass along the side of the road. The dwarves were clad in simple tunics of leather, bound at the waist with wide belts. Their thick beards hung low over their chests and wore thick-booted boots upon their feet.

For a moment, the young hobbit forgot entirely about his journey, and of Michel Delving. Excitedly, he left the road and strode up to the strangers with haste. Then he stopped, a wide grin spreading across his face.

‘Gracious me!’ he exclaimed loudly looking a t the dwarves in wonderment. ‘I have seen some of your folk about the Shire in the past, travelling along the roads as you sometimes do, but I have never had the pleasure to speak with one…until now that is!’

The Hobbit seated atop the low table lifted his small clay pipe to his lips and then leaned back on one arm, blowing a grayish ring of smoke into the air. He then looked at the new arrival and motioned towards the dwarves.

‘My fellows here are bringing goods from the Blue Mountains, by way of Needlehole,’ he said.

‘Indeed,’ answered the dwarf with the brownish-red beard. ‘We are carrying a shipment of ore bound for Bree.’

‘Aye,’ agreed the other dwarf. ‘But as much as we enjoy out stops through Waymeet, we tend to get a late start the day after.’

The first dwarf laughed aloud. ‘The locals are always willing to share a drink, that’s why we always bring an extra keg! By my beard, I believe some of these hobbits could drink their weight in beer!’

Theodoras said nothing at first, looking at the dwarves in astonished joy. Then, he cleared his throat and spoke.

‘I must say, to have the opportunity to meet such dwarves as you gentlemen, very splendid indeed! But I must be off…a shame too, for I would love to toast you both and hear of your travels.’

Theodoras waved goodbye and turned round to return to the road, his mind still fixed on thoughts of the strange dwarves. Once on the road, he climbed out of the vale and soon Waymeet slowly disappeared from view behind him.

The sun was now hot again, but clouds were beginning to come up from the West, It looked likely to turn to rain, if the wind fell, thought Theodoras rather gloomily. He hastened down the road and then passed through a narrow cleft cut between two low hills.

On the far side of the cleft, the road began to dip down and flowed into a wide valley, surrounded by steep hills and cliffs. Saddling the road to one side was a row of smails, each with round windows facing the lane and roofed with turfs of natural grass. But there were a few houses as well, built of wood, stone or brick, like those specially favored by farmers, millers, blacksmiths, carpenters and hobbits of that sort.

On the far side of the houses and smials rose a large hill atop which sat a large, and rather un-hobbit-like thought Theodoras, house of stone and brick. This of course, was Michel Delving, the chief township of the Shire, and the seat of the Mayoral and of the Bounders. The large strange house atop the hill was called the Mathom-house; a museum of sorts for anything that hobbits had no immediate need or use for. These unwanted items were called mathoms, as hobbit holes tended to become rather cluttered with mathoms of all kinds would be brought here.

Theodoras strolled down the lane and into the town, stopping once or twice to greet a passing hobbit. He soon found his way to the Town Hole, where there was a large gathering of hobbits milling about. Off to one side, he spotted a stout-looking hobbit wearing a cap with a feather sticking from its brim.

Theodoras strode up to the hobbit and coughed politely before speaking.

‘Hullo there! I am looking for Second Shirriff Bodo Bunce. Might you be he, sir?’

The official-looking hobbit nodded politely, looking the young hobbit over.

Theodoras shuffled uncomfortable on his feet and then stammered. ‘I am Theodoras Took. I have been sent by Wilimar Bolger to join the Bounders!’ he said trying to sound brave and determined as best he could.

‘So you were sent my way, were you?’ answered the shirriff. ‘Well, I’ve heard good things about you and I’d be glad to have you helping us out. Welcome, well met, well hired!’

‘Thank you!’ relied Theodoras with a bright smile.

‘Help out as many Shire-folk as you can and you’ll rise through the ranks. Our cares may seem of small importance to others – the delivery of the mail, the tasting of fine foods, the lighting of fireworks – but you and I know they are worth protecting. These peaceful ways are threatened, and danger can be found even throughout the Shire. Aid our people with their daily concerns, but if you travel to more distant villages, such as Needlehole, Overhill or Brockenboring…bring a weapon with you, Bounder. Life is dangerous on the borders of the Shire, and the further you get from Michel Delving and Hobbiton, the more likely you are to see combat.’