We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

help with gear/ weapon/ barter decisions for my minstrel

http://my.lotro.com/home/character/2...2562961398826/
    ^^ This is Peralda.
    I need help with whether to save for a second age LI, or for cracked sigils so I can start to make my 75 jewellery (I'm a master westfold guilded jeweller), barter for Mirkwood recipes for AH (or for me.) I play slowly, mostly solo, follow the epics in order love to explore, and am very overlevel in Mirkwood at the moment. I don't group often due to lack of experience, confidence and time differences - although I really enjoy group healing when I get to do it- even at 3a.m. my time I have been to Enedwaith and Galtrev and have a couple of quest drops from there but, as I said I'm trying to do books in order. (I got curious and just had to check out new ROI places.)

I'm confused about gear and it took me ages to get the Moria bits because everyone on Silverlode seems to be asleep when I'm playing, so running GS regularly or it's equivalent isn't really an option. Any advice about what to get and how, and where, would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Perr
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Re: help with gear/ weapon/ barter decisions for my minstrel

Hi Perr - congrats on getting through Moria!

With you gear, you will end up replacing most of what you have once you get to the level cap, but you will probably make some replacements along the way. This advice is based upon the idea that your main goal is seeing all off the epic quests as opposed to becoming a beast raid healer or PvP DPS class - that can come later

Armor - your Moria armor is fine for now - feel free to swap out upgrades as you go, but I wouldnt focus on replacing it. Once you get to level 75, you can start working on the Dirge-Singers armor, which you can pick up in Galtrev for medalions (which you can get by grinding skirms solo, although its much, much easier to do with a group). Dirge-singer isn't quite as good as the Orthanc armor, but its 10x easier to get and is still very good and well balanced for both solo and grouping, with some of the best set bonuses for armor in the game.

Jewelry/Cloak/Shield - you are pretty well geared here for your level. Once you get to 75, you can try doing a few of the crafted rider pieces (you need rep with the riders of theodred faction to get the recipes). You can also buy some of the men of dunland jewerly in Galtrev once you have a high enough reputation with them. The pieces are 2-3g each, and are probably sufficient to get you through the final epic quests. You can also craft things like the fated dunlending ring and the steadfast dunlending earring - both great options you can equip at level 70 and dont need to spend any sigils on. With cloaks/shields, I'd replace them as you can, but its not a huge priority.

LI's - at this point, I would just try to have a solid lvl 65 book, with mostly healing legacies, although you may want to consider the target resist reduction for ballads if you will be mainly soloing. For your weapons, I'd try to have two. One for healing, with legacies like Healing threat and SoS pulses. This does not need to be a high level weapon, lvl 60 or higher is fine, since the damage shouldnt matter much while you are healing. Then you'll want a DPS weapon while you solo. This you'll want to upgrade every 3-4 levels, as soon as you can get a higher tactical damage rating. Key legacies will be piercing cry and call of orome damage. In terms of relics, unless you want to buy relic removal scrolls from the LotRO store for 195 TP, I'd just slot some tier 2-3 relics for now - you can worry about higher tier relics once you have legendary items you will be keeping for a long time.

Lastly, looking at your stats, I'd try to focus mainly on increasing your tactical mastery (mainly gotten through will) and morale (mainly gotten through vitality). You are probably over emphasizing fate right now, but I suspect that just the result of the Moria armor set bonus as opposed to you trying to max fate. If I had to replace one thing of yours, it'd be your pocket item. Maybe see if you can find, on AH or through a friend, an illuminated Westfold Lorebook - That would cost you 19 will, but give you can extra 325 moral or so, which will be a big help. Much of the gear you will find in Dunland is for will and fate only, and it can be hard to keep your morale up as you level to 75 - you really want to stay in the 4,500 hp range as much as possible.

Best of luck and enjoy the epics

-Megaran
    Secret of Steel
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000237c76/signature.png]Megaren[/charsig]

Just a note, Perr, on your general health level - I was floating around 3200 morale or so as I approached 75 because there was literally no vitality gear to be had. I didn't have a great set of gear when RoI dropped, so I started replacing it right away with green drops.

I generally found that as long as I took care with pulling in some of the closed in areas (underground mines or orc camps and the like), my health wasn't generally a concern and when it was, a chord of salvation and SoS were enough to push me through except on a few elite mobs. I soloed most of my way to 75. I throw this in there just to say don't worry too much about your gearing choices; if you have a decent grip on how to solo with the class (and you survived Moria's twists and turns and the like so I'll assume you do. ) you'll be just fine. In the course of leveling up your rep will also go up and when you hit 75 there is quite a bit of gear to be bought that will improve your health right away. I have 4800 or so right now and I have...maybe one instance piece of gear.

Keep an eye out on patrols...there are quite a few in some places. That got me into more trouble than anything else until I started watching for it. And good luck!

Thank you for your prompt and detailed replies, and your good wishes. I feel a lot better about Peralda's gear now. I'm slowly trying to up my morale and tact mastery-and have been steadily swapping gear/virtues that was heavy on fate for more wil/vit/morale since ROI. I have a steadfast dunlending earring in storage already, so it's good to know that was the 'right' choice. I outlevelled my old heal book and healing weapon so both are a bit hybrid/mongrel atm but that is going to be my next project. Thanks again- one day i maybe a beast raid healer but for now I'm thoroughly enjoying the story.
    Best to you all and thanks again for your help.
    Perr

Quote Originally Posted by yvandriel View Post
    Thank you for your prompt and detailed replies, and your good wishes. I feel a lot better about Peralda's gear now. I'm slowly trying to up my morale and tact mastery-and have been steadily swapping gear/virtues that was heavy on fate for more wil/vit/morale since ROI. I have a steadfast dunlending earring in storage already, so it's good to know that was the 'right' choice. I outlevelled my old heal book and healing weapon so both are a bit hybrid/mongrel atm but that is going to be my next project. Thanks again- one day i maybe a beast raid healer but for now I'm thoroughly enjoying the story.
    Best to you all and thanks again for your help.
    Perr
    oops- wrong account-see above and thanks
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Personally, I'm an ex-raider from WoW who burned out on it after participating in Icecrown on three different glass chewing teams in every possible capacity (tank, heals, melee and ranged dps for WoW), so I'm far more casual now than I was. I much prefer the story-oriented pace of LOTRO's questing environment. I can't say I've liked everything I've seen, but on the whole I've been very pleased with what they've done with Middle Earth. I've had many times where I completely geek out - Weathertop, Annuminas, Fornost, all of Moria, Caras Galadon, etc etc etc. By all means, enjoy the story! The other stuff will be around if and when you get to it.