We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I need minnie inspiration...

My poor minstrel. I played her 24/7 when Moria came out, kept her geared and endgame ready through Mirkwood, still kept plugging at raids and endgame in spite of the constant shift in gear needed but I've lost the will to heal come ROI.

Yes, I understand it's fun solo minnie now but I am just not able to shift into the new minstrel structure. I don't actually play much anymore - the last few months I've logged in to do a few festival things and keep up my housing maintenance.

So I thought I'd ask here in the forums - what floats your healing minnie boat these days? Where are your moments of wootness, what makes you grin from ear to ear, what makes you happy?

Post what keeps you coming back for more of that healing minnie sauce... I need inspiration!
    Aquilegia Astor Minstrel and Healer at Large Landroval Server
    Proud Founding Member of H.O.M.E.

Re: I need minnie inspiration...

I have been in the mental place where you are now with a max level healer, in Everquest II. I hope my experience can help you.

We are inquisitive, creative beings who play MMORPGs for various reasons, most of which are related to fun & entertainment. Play a class enough and routine sets, some of the entertainment factor wears out, and the level of fun diminishes. Fortunately, LOTRO is a very diverse game. Try playing a few other classes. If you have some already in the game, think about their current and future abilities and decide which ones will refresh your curiosity and creativity. Discover which one(s) bring the fun back. Don't worry about levels or grinding, just have some fun with the characters at whatever level they are and enjoy yourself. You may reach a point where you log back into your healer, you may be surprised just how awesome it is and how much fun you can have.... again.

Return to your healer when you REALLY feel like healing again, you may be pleasantly surprised by how absence really can make the heart grow fonder.

I have a mini that I play with friends once a week or so.

When the mini was overhauled from a nice reactive class to the annoyance it is now, I made a captain to replace it.

Lore-masters can heal significantly well too!

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but perhaps try an alt?

I'm afraid our kin, one of the larger on our server, has only one minstrel, with oodles of LMs, half a dozen RKs, a plethora of captains...so you aren't the only one.

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Inspiration to play Mini comes from the red line allowing you to play proactively and choose your own path of adventure in the wide wide world of Middle Earth.

The blue line is full of chains and the man holding you down as you are a reactive bar watcher.

Finally yellow line...well, you can't choose what you want to do...you like to constantly use your 1 melee skill and you occaisionally like to play 2-3 ballads while also staring at bars and being reactive healing-wise while being proactive buff wise.

If you for some reason actually like to heal then I would suggest pushing your yellow line abilities to the max.

*shudders*

Or just go out to the moors and blow things up until they take our nukes away.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000c08ff/signature.png]Winterfell[/charsig]

For My BW Brethren or Those Who Love Stick Figures [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=322130] 3 Years of Stick Art [/url]
    R.I.P NIDOR (1970-2012): You shall be missed but never forgotten, thank you.

Being a healer is a bit like being an airline pilot -- you experience boredom punctuated by terror.

Seriously, it IS a bit of an abstract exercise -- I'm healing health bars more than players, and I feel a bit clumsy because, with my attention away from the actual arena of battle, I tend to be last one to realize the specifics of what's going on. (I don't know how often I've put up a semi-emergency heal shortly before a fourth Dragioch paw died and we stopped taking damage for a minute or so ...)

Blue traits + only health = Boring and poor Minstrel.

Yellow traits + health + Buff Anthems/Codas = Pro Minstrel and very funny. (without Harmony, of course)

Use anthems bro.

I'm going to go against the flow of the thread and say: I love the way the update has changed the minstrel and the flexibility I have playing a healing minstrel since the class revamp.

That said I play a yellow-traited minstrel (4y/3b) and switch my healing stances a lot depending on group setup and fight. I've come to the point where I switch stances regularly in a single group/instance and sometimes even in the same fight. There's still a lot of room for improvement in my gameplay, but I thoroughly enjoy being able to alter my gameplay depending on the situation.

Try getting the hang of harmony and warspeech healing and a feeling for when which stance is most beneficial for your group and your gameplay, and you will find a whole new and exciting world of minstrel healer play opening in front of you .

Quote Originally Posted by CurtMonash View Post
    Being a healer is a bit like being an airline pilot -- you experience boredom punctuated by terror.

Seriously, it IS a bit of an abstract exercise -- I'm healing health bars more than players, and I feel a bit clumsy because, with my attention away from the actual arena of battle, I tend to be last one to realize the specifics of what's going on. (I don't know how often I've put up a semi-emergency heal shortly before a fourth Dragioch paw died and we stopped taking damage for a minute or so ...)
    Or the time you pay so much attention to everyone else that you don't realize you're standing in a fire in the Foundry until you screen fades to gray?

The new changes have filled me with joy, prior to RoI I'd found playing Minstrel a massive slog to solo and fairly uninspiring as a healer. Nowadays I can happily solo content, and healing in groups has become really inspiring as I discover new tweaks and tactics. It's so much fun now! Clearly I haven't got to end-game content yet so I can't speak to that but if healing is what you enjoy then I think that the breadth of options available to Minstrels post-RoI is both engaging and fun.

Of course if healing isn't your bag then you might want to take a look at Minstrel dps. Fellowships are slow to pick this up at the moment but our dps now is quite respectable and although lacking (I think) the HUGE numbers that some other classes can get, we do have the good fortune of being able to regenerate mana most effectively in combat with Coda and (at the same time if we plan for it) keep our health topped-up. I think that as people see Minstrel dps start to shine in long-duration combat that we will be regarded as a viable dps option in Fellowships.