We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Draigoch still bugged 5 months after release

Ok, I know there are other threads on this however I am going to post my description of the problems with the Draigoch raid encounter here on the theory that unless this issue is in Turbine's face day after day they won't fix it properly. They've had bug reports out of the encounter since the day it was released and still the same problems occur with great frequency.

First of all. the Draigoch encounter is one of the premier end game experiences in LOTRO. It's a keystone for a lot of players who want to kill the dragon and want some of the loot that only Draigoch drops. This makes it a very high profile part of the overall game. When players see this bug out as often as it does it goes to the heart of LOTRO's image as a stable game that produces enjoyable experiences for it's player base.

Secondly, the bugs in Draigoch often produce player's first ventures into the in-game support systems. This is because other minor bugs in game play, which happen occasionally, don't cause players to try to get support from the in-game support personnel. The fact that there is *no* in-game support for this problem other than a form letter that tells players there is no in-game support is just a terrible way to introduce most players to what should be a valuable part of the platform for Turbine.

Because of both factors above the Draigoch encounter is essentially a self-inflicted wound by Turbine.

Ok, that out of the way, here is the Draigoch Bug Raid described to the best of my ability. The bugs do not occur every time and they tend not to occur in very tight groups that have set rules for what can and cannot be done during the encounter particularly in phase 3. There is one bug however that will take the encounter down every time, it's just an exceedingly rare occurrence.

Draigoch Bug #1 - The extra Fellowship Maneuvers after the 12 for the challenge are complete.

In order to complete the Draigoch Challenge the raid must complete 12 specific Fellowship Maneuvers in a set order. Once the 12 are done and Draigoch is killed the challenge is fulfilled and people reap the rewards.

Here's the bug: if at any time after the 12 maneuvers are completed a random Fellowship Maneuver ("So-and-so has broken Draigoch's defenses!") occurs while Draigoch is on the ground being DPS'd the odds are excellent that Draigoch will be bugged the next time he gets back to his feet. He'll be green and not target-able at that point and the raid is over.

It's not completely clear if somebody has to click into the Fellowship Maneuver in order to initiate the bug and the person who broke Draigoch's defense doesn't have the option to avoid that anyway since the color wheel automatically comes up for them.

This bug has cost my kin their last two runs at Draigoch when the dragon was under a million morale each run. It has periodically cost us other runs, although it does not happen every time. It has had a frequency of about a third of our runs since the Draigoch encounter was released. I also run with other groups that are smaller and tighter and the bug happens much less often in these runs but is still present now and then. My kin tends to want to show new people the fight and that is why our frequency is so high in my opinion.

Draigoch Bug #2 - Captains using Escape From Darkness while Draigoch is stomping around making people bounce.

This bug usually results in the person being resurrected coming back at the entry point to the raid encounter instead of the Captain who res'd them. They are locked out of the encounter and Draigoch targets them and becomes green and not target-able himself. The raid is over. The bug only seems to occur when Draigoch is doing the stomp around after he lands from the fire-breathing phase in phase 3.

This bug is more addressable by the raid and we have a standard policy now that Captains are not to use Escape From Darkness in phase 3 unless the raid will wipe otherwise.

Draigoch Bug #3 - The person who has aggro from Draigoch's head in phase 3 goes link dead.

This bug occurs only when the person, usually the tank, who had aggro from Draigoch's head in phase 3 goes link dead. Draigoch never resets his aggro at that point and goes green and not target-able and the raid is over. Note that if the tank dies and somebody else gets aggro there's no problem, it's only when the person with aggro goes LD that the raid is bugged and over.

Those are the 3 predominant bugs in the Draigoch fight. Between them they cause a bug rate that is so high for some kins that they just won't waste the time running what should be a keystone achievement for every top end raiding kin. The bugs destroy much of the social element in high-end raiding because they make people leery of players who have not seen the fight yet. Looking for an experienced tank, healer or DPS group leader is one thing but declining a newly 75 hunter or champion or burglar because of fear they will bug the fight out is quite another. It's no fun to have to restrict yourself to a safe dozen to run this encounter every time because any new player could well bug you out. Not wipe you - bug you out.

Now the secondary issue is the customer service on this. It is unacceptable for the response to the problem to be that there is no response to the problem. This is not a rare bug that takes a lot of analysis. It is an eminently reproducible bug that destroys thousands of hours of customer play time and experience. There should be a fast resolution to the problem that involves rewarding the players for accomplishing the task of defeating the dragon when in fact he would absolutely have been defeated if the bug did not occur.

If you get to phase 3 and have him under a million morale, when most of the bugs occur, he is toast unless the raid is already wiping. Having a customer service representative come in and count noses and look at Draigoch's health should be enough to award a kill and the end chests. This isn't a plea for charity here. It's a plea for common sense to rule the day. Draigoch is a farm animal at this point for almost everybody who is running him. I can recall one actual wipe in the encounter over the last three months. Every other failure was bug-induced. Turbine needs to fix their customer service on this issue and they need to fix it fast because the people that are having trouble getting Draigoch down are not doing so because they're bad players, they're having trouble because in this instance Turbine are bad coders.

The customer is right and especially so when the provider is momentarily and systemically incompetent. Fix this.
    Last edited by Bowman99; Feb 28 2012 at 02:01 AM.

Re: Draigoch still bugged 5 months after release

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman99 View Post
    Draigoch Bug #1 - The extra Fellowship Maneuvers after the 12 for the challenge are complete.
    Hmm, this has never caused him to bug for me, and usually on kinruns we do some maneuvers to regain power quickly in phase 3

Draigoch Bug #2 - Captains using Escape From Darkness while Draigoch is stomping around making people bounce.
    I have rezzed people with EFD while bouncing araound, and true, sometimes they end up at the starting area unable to enter again, but this has never resulted in Draigoch bugging...

Draigoch Bug #3 - The person who has aggro from Draigoch's head in phase 3 goes link dead.
    This has never happened to me, so can't say much about it.

Maybe i'm just extremely lucky, but out of the ~20-30 times i've run Draigoch, it's only bugged out once, and when it did, it was quite obvious why it happened (we entered phase 3 unknowingly and ran out, the person having aggro died in the corridor).

For many, this raid seems to bug 50% of the times they're running it, or more. For me, it's been a one time experience, with a very good reason.

It's a shame Turbine can't fix this, but to me, being able to complete Draigoch basically every time without bugs, I start to wonder what it is that people to differently to make him bug out so often, it's just weird...

I agree on the perplexity of why it bugs so often for some groups and almost never for others. I have groups that I run with where I'm almost certain we'll get through it without bugging. Then I have other groups where the bug rate is just so high it's unfathomable.

I wonder if it's related to class make-up somehow? The kin runs that bug out for us almost always have a new hunter, champ or burg in them. Frequently they have 3+ hunters. They tend to be DPS heavy with just a couple of healers, a tank and a cappy with 8 DPS classes.

I just know that it is so reproducible at this point that Draigoch is no fun to do except with a small group of people I trust, and not for the usual reasons of not wanting to wipe to somebody's mistake. Turbine needs to fix this. Given that Draigoch bugs as often as he does they have to be able to see the core causes.

Just a note: 6 Months*
    It is rather disappointing it still has not been fixed.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

I don't think there's any raid where EFD doesn't res people back at the entrance. The EFD bug is a separate bug.

None of the causes listed by the OP have been confirmed to bug out Draigoch. My own group do every single taboo thing possible, from pets to ISG to EFD to CJ through phase changes to observing the raid from above, and Draigoch bugs out only very occasionally, perhaps once every one or two weeks (we do one to two alt runs every day). There's no point in not using those skills, because it's been known to bug out even when people actively avoid those taboo actions.

The fact that the raid bugs out more consistently for some groups than others have led us to conclude that some characters are just plain jinxed. It's more likely those characters have data that locks up the script when the script tries to read them, than it has to do with aggro or any particular skill.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

**SQUEEEAAAK!!**

Please fix it.

Whether you have experienced the bugs or not... the OP is completely correct. They are known, and when they happen, they END the raid.

The flipside of people not wanting "new" bodies for the raid due to a fear of them causing a bug... is that some "new 75's" do not want to waste the effort and time only to get bugged out- so they don't bother trying.

Until you fix it...

Customer service should be exactly as the OP stated, especially when no other solutions are in order.

When recommending an MMO, people always say the same three things... the graphics, the story line, and how good/bad the customer service is.

Taking care of the players=good recommendations. Failure to do so= bad word of mouth.
    [B][COLOR=#6495ed]"You cannot pass," he said. "I am a[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00bfff]Servant of the Secret Fire[/COLOR][COLOR=#6495ed], wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. You cannot pass."[U][I]The Fellowship of the Ring II 5: "The Bridge of Khazad-dûm"[/I][/U][/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][COLOR=#5f1fff][B]Athene~Vilya~85 LM[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.sotsfire.com/"][B][COLOR=#7b68ee]SOTSFire.com [/COLOR][/B][/URL]

I love this game, but after Dragioch bugged at 400k on the weekend I've told my raid group that I am not running it again until its fixed.

I would like to sell the virtues of this game to others, but I can't while this issue remains.
    It has simply been bugged for too long and I am losing hope in the dev team's ability to fix it.

Cmon guys, please fix this. Seriously.
    [COLOR=#ffa07a][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000942e9/signature.png]Kurtric[/charsig][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiya View Post
    The fact that the raid bugs out more consistently for some groups than others have led us to conclude that some characters are just plain jinxed. It's more likely those characters have data that locks up the script when the script tries to read them, than it has to do with aggro or any particular skill.
    I really hope this is not the case because that would explain why Turbine is having issues correcting the problem and it would also make a resolution less likely.

I do know from practical experience that there is data, probably server-side, on each character that can become corrupt. I went through a period of time on one of my characters where the crossed swords group icon in the alert bar was not coming up for that character (only) and I could not port to instances my group or raid was in except when I dropped group and had them re-invite me.

I went through weeks of trying to get this fixed by customer service without a resolution and then one day the problem just vanished of it's own accord. My theory on this is that it took a normal system-wide maintenance procedure on the databases to finally clear up the problem that character was having. The run-around that I got from customer service in the interim was probably because they knew that the particular problem that I had would get resolved the next time the databases were packed, or whatever they do for standard maintainance on them, and they also knew that trying to fix the problem before that would be fruitless.

First off I would like to state that I would like to see Draigoch as bug free as possible.

Now having said that I am certain that Turbine is looking into what is causing it to bug out. I read many of these threads and in most of the the OP is certain that they know what it is that is causing the bug. In every case that I can recall someone responds that they have done that and therefore it can't be that. If this was as simple as one thing causing Draigoch to bug then it would be fixed already.

Turbine has a vested interest in fixing this bug. As a premier piece in the game, I am certain that the issues surrounding it are costing them money. No large company is going to let that stand. People assume that no news and no fix means no work being done. While I cannot know for certain that work is being done, I am not worried that it is not.

Problems like this are, simply put, nightmares. Most people have no clue exactly how complex software of this nature is. And most posters want to believe that it is a single thing that is happening. People like to have simple answers. But in reality what it might be is a combination of 14 things.

In order to truly get a grip on what causes a bug like this here is the sort of information that needs to be considered. What skills are executing? What skills where in the queue to be executed next? Exact list of buffs and debuffs. This information needs to be given for all players and the dragon. Oh and let me add a little more to the list. The bug might actually occur at any point in the raid but might only be expressed after an accumulation of event. So to TRULY track this down. You need the above information for the entire length of the raid!

This is not a problem that is easy. We know that turbine has serious communication issues and they should be more vocal about the efforts that they are putting into this. But to assume that their silence means that they are not working on it is just as wrong.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/nalv.jpg/][IMG]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7739/nalv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

In dozens of runs - often several a week, with multiple alts and all conceivable class makeups - my kin has not seen Draigoch bug once other than the very, very first day we went in there, when there were server stability problems causing us to lag, rubber-band etc.

In that time people have joined from other kins who previously saw Draigoch bug out regularly. They are unable to identify any differences in strategy between their previous (regular bug) runs and our (never bug) runs.

We have at one point or another seen or done all of the things which are stated to cause him to go braindead - none have ever caused problems or us.*

It is a total mystery and I am reasonably sure that Turbine are as stumped as the players.

* Except one - we have never tanked the head out of line-of-sight since that is patently an exploit. Not suggesting any of those having trouble are doing so, just being clear for the record.
    [CENTER]Tarmas Elf Champion R13 | Tarmeg Elf Guardian R6 | Tarmil 95 Elf Warden | Tarmun Elf Hunter R6 | Tarmot Elf Minstrel R6 | Tarmyr Elf Loremaster R6
    Strawn Reaver R6 | Strawz Warg R6 | Strawk Blackarrow R6 | Strawx Warleader R6 | Strawb Defiler R6 | Strawt Weaver R6[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmas_Eldar View Post
    In dozens of runs - often several a week, with multiple alts and all conceivable class makeups - my kin has not seen Draigoch bug once other than the very, very first day we went in there, when there were server stability problems causing us to lag, rubber-band etc.

In that time people have joined from other kins who previously saw Draigoch bug out regularly. They are unable to identify any differences in strategy between their previous (regular bug) runs and our (never bug) runs.
    This is our experience as well. Many of the same people who are running in our buggy runs when they bug out then go PUG or run with other kins to get the dragon down and have no issues there with no apparent difference in strategies.

We have at one point or another seen or done all of the things which are stated to cause him to go braindead - none have ever caused problems or us.*
    This may just be my server Windfola but everybody who I have run with successfully is about as conservative as possible about what they'll do and not do during a Draigoch run. Even the groups that almost never bug out that I have run with have told people not to touch the FM's if they happen and not to use EFD during phase 3.

* Except one - we have never tanked the head out of line-of-sight since that is patently an exploit. Not suggesting any of those having trouble are doing so, just being clear for the record.
    You don't even have to be out of line of sight to tank the head without taking damage in phase 1 and 2. It can be done with the tank standing in plain sight but never picking up actual aggro on Draigoch. We don't do this for a couple of reasons. First is it's an exploit, although a mild one since the only way I have ever seen a tank die in phase 1 or 2 is if they ran the wrong way when Draigoch started scorching. Second it is easy for either the tank or the healer up top to go to sleep (literally some times) if they are not constantly doing things during phase 1 and 2.

As to the point about the Draigoch bugs stumping Turbine. Maybe so but it's been a long time now. Get some people on it and brute force the problem. Modify the script so that only the 12 FM's can be done and they must be triggered by a normal FM event with no chance for random FM's. Really they should just remove random FM's from the game entirely. You can't create strategies to use them because they are random and far between anyway and playing the lottery in any fight is just a frustrating experience. They serve no useful purpose at this point other than to add randomness to the game.

I have had all of these happen (including me tanking and going LD) and never had a bug. That's the weird thing about Draigoch. Sometimes these things cause a bug, sometimes they don't. It must be pretty bloody hard for Turbine to fix or believe me, it'd be fixed by now.

One thing I want to say, though, is that the one and only time I've had Draigoch bug out for me is when my group killed 3 claws in phase three instead of two. Now, we only ever kill 2 claws at a time, and we've never had a problem since. Just a helpful hint, not sure if it's just a coincidence that the one time he bugged we killed three claws, or not, but it had worked for us for our many draigoch runs.

~Rae
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002e220b/01006/signature.png]Raechal[/charsig]
    R.I.P. Nidor of Brandywine (1970-2012)

I really feel for the guys who have experienced Draigoch bug so many times.
    Seriously, such a bug in a major selling point of the last expansion? One of the Main Marketing points not working?
    Turbine, you have to fix this ASAP!

But then again, as I have said in numerous previous topics like this - I do this regularly twice a week, counting 25+ runs already. Never ever seen it bug. I have been in all mixtures of a classes, skills, mistakes, bad timed revives, random CJs, everything you have ever heard can couse it bug - I have seen it and it never bugged for me.
    I am not trying to convince anyone that it works, not at all. Just saying that I can understand if it is extremely hard to track a bug thats random and cannot be reproduced and traced.

Just to assure you all those tips are pure specualtions - we do kill 3 paws in phase 3, and even range start 4th - no bugging, we use random CJs after we do the challenge 12 - mainly to get some power back, but sometimes to damage the body - no bugging, one of the most epic runs we had we got only 6 alive at the last attempt to down him, with a few newbie puggers who used revive and ended up in the tunnels - no bugging.

Sorry guys, something happens to you all the time, but does not happen to tons of other ppl out there. And thats the worse - if it was steadily bugging they would probably have a fix by now. Sadly it seems to be way too random. Still it is awful experience for sure and bad example of what can Turbine deliver to their customers.

Seems like fixing this bug may be a major turn-out about the quality Turbine can produce. Inability to fix this will be remembered and pointed out to them no matter what future raids they will deliver.
    I hunt. I kill.

Warden by destiny, Hunter in the heart.

The warleader bug is still not fixed since beta in 2007. Priorities, people.
    [right][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020100002d05ec/signature.png]Agrorezzer[/charsig][/right]
    [color=blue] Si Velis Pacem Para Bellum
    Rank 5 Mini Elyske
    Rank 5 RK Olyske
    Rank 4 LM Alyske [/color]
    [color=orange]
    Rank 11 Warleader Agrorezzer Commandingagro
    Rank 9 Agroblackarrow Incendiaryavanche
    Rank 8 Reaver Agroswithblades andthrowsitatu
    Rank 7 Stk Agrodawg gingasnaps
    Rank 5 weaver Agrotarantula tarantulagro
    Rank 4 Defiler Agrolosthisgourd helphimfindit
    Organization of Freep Spies[/color]
    [color=white]Playing in Swtor for the most part now.[/color]

I've ran this run 3 times. Twice the dragon has just stopped. Last night he was down to 50k, the GM didn't want to know.
    I don't know what causes this but I think this is disgraceful customer service. This has been a known problem for months and yet we still spend an hour and getting nothing. I've just recently re-subbed and I think I'll stop again. Thanks turbine.

They dont know how to fix it, maybe the coding they use is just not advance enough to keep the instance going.

I rate they take the raid off the store since its a faulty product.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000001838d3/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

They have made several "fixes" to it, and it's no better or worse than before. It is disgusting that they went on and on about OMG BEST RAID EVER OMG LIP SYNC TECH OMG WE MADE HIS MOUTH MOVE!!!!!1!! and yet the instance is unplayable for a lot of people. I think at this point they plan to ignore the issue on a permanent basis -- new content is out, people will complain less as time passes. I've been warned to stop contacting GMs when it bugs, and to stop encouraging players to file bug reports when it happens.

As others have said, it's very difficult for new 75s to get this run. Most existing 75s either have their gear and don't see the point in potentially wasting an hour of raid time in an instance that may well bug out, or they have been burned repeatedly and refuse to do it again.

I fall into the latter group. Right now I'm sitting at ~60% completion rate, 40% bug-out, across two servers with experienced groups. Don't bother trying to tell me what I must be doing wrong -- this is NOT a player issue, it's a content issue. Funny thing is one of my completions was with a pug with a mostly inexperienced group, multiple deaths during the fight.

It's easy to say "so what, you can't run one instance." Well, I paid for that instance. I purchased it in good faith assuming it was functioning software. That's not right. In-game, I immediately became a less desirable raider because if you have two RK/Mini/Cappy who are end-game geared and the only difference is that cloak, the one with the cloak is stronger. Doesn't mean I'm not capable of hitting the raid, just that the other choice is stronger. This was further emphasized when the next end-game content offered an upgrade to that cloak I can't get. Falling further and further behind because some halfwit project lead can't get his product sorted.

Turbine needs to do four things immediately since they lack the skill to make the instance function --

1 -- Stop selling the raid. It's bordering on fraud given the ongoing high defect rate.

2 -- Empower GMs to either unstick the instance, or make some kind of adjustment for groups that have just sunk time and resources into paid content that failed on them.

3 -- Make the cloak available through another means. And no, 10,000 TP or SM is not reasonable given it's their failure that's necessitating the purchase.

4 -- Publicly acknowledge that the instance was a failure, and discuss what is being done to ensure that future paid content is of a reasonable quality. Given how much they went on about the huge investment in the stupid and unwanted lip-sync tech I'd also like to see some indication of how that is enhancing the game going forward

They have released a fundamentally bad product, and taken money for it. They need to demonstrate some accountability and responsibility to their customer base.

I led a raid today and saw 1 thing that was different and 1 thing that had to be a bug...
    (Very experienced in leading these, have done it with 6 people mulitiple times.)

1. The Guard was taking damage in phase 1 and 2. He did not have aggro and he was not hitting the head. A very experienced tank that knew what he was doing btw. Seems they want the tank to take damage while up there.

2. While in Phase 3 we had 2 people go down, so we back off to the shadow spot(dark spot of coins) under the tail, yet both rear claws were doing damage to the group still. We had been in phase 3 for about 7 minutes, and had backed off to the dark spot a few times before and we were not getting hit, but this time, the entire raid was wiped by the 2 rear claws which continued hitting us despite that we were backed off and the Guard was up at the head.
    [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/nSMasJK.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center][color=black]Will you hold this for me? You'll need both hands...[/color][/center]
    [center][color=#ff0000]A[/color][color=#e93f15]r[/color][color=#d47a2a]r[/color][color=#bfad3f]o[/color][color=#aad655]w[/color][color=#94f16a]d[/color][color=#7ffe7f]y[/color][color=#6afa94]n[/color][color=#55e7aa]a[/color][color=#3fc6bf]m[/color][color=#2a98d4]i[/color][color=#1561e9]c[/color][/center]

They will never fix Draigoch because they do not know what or why he is bugging out on people. If they have found the code that is making him go "Brain Dead" and have not fixed it then it is because the code is in conflict with something else that they can not remove or change without messing with game play.
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wsiga.php/5959788VfIbF.png[/img][/url]

Ran it again today and in Phase 1, the very first movement direction was called and the Heated Hallway killed the healer that was with the tank. The heated hallway shouldn't be present until Phase 2. :|
    [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/nSMasJK.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center][color=black]Will you hold this for me? You'll need both hands...[/color][/center]
    [center][color=#ff0000]A[/color][color=#e93f15]r[/color][color=#d47a2a]r[/color][color=#bfad3f]o[/color][color=#aad655]w[/color][color=#94f16a]d[/color][color=#7ffe7f]y[/color][color=#6afa94]n[/color][color=#55e7aa]a[/color][color=#3fc6bf]m[/color][color=#2a98d4]i[/color][color=#1561e9]c[/color][/center]

another

rreactivating this thread for a point