We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Relatively new minstrel with two questions

Long-time player, short-time minstrel player. I started my minnie last Summer and got him up to 32 or so, and then stopped playing him for awhile. Picked him up a couple of weeks ago to figure out all of the RoI changes(keep in mind I wasn't that familiar with the class to begin with).

I have two questions:

1. Is Anthem of the Third Age(Harmony Stance) pointless? It looks like its only benefit is a power reduction cost for further anthems, but seeing as how it costs power itself and the duration is about the same as the CD before I can use another anthem, what's the point? Is there something I'm missing with this skill?

2. I mostly have the Great Barrow Light Armor set, which is level 25. My minstrel is level 36 now, and apart from some minor benefits with the stat bonuses I have not found better armor by this level judging by the armor bonuses alone. I'm looking at on-level Purple armor pieces, and they're still giving a decent bit less armor than the gear I'm wearing. Does anyone know if this is a known issue?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000027003/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Relatively new minstrel with two questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rothmarte View Post
    Long-time player, short-time minstrel player. I started my minnie last Summer and got him up to 32 or so, and then stopped playing him for awhile. Picked him up a couple of weeks ago to figure out all of the RoI changes(keep in mind I wasn't that familiar with the class to begin with).

I have two questions:

1. Is Anthem of the Third Age(Harmony Stance) pointless? It looks like its only benefit is a power reduction cost for further anthems, but seeing as how it costs power itself and the duration is about the same as the CD before I can use another anthem, what's the point? Is there something I'm missing with this skill?

2. I mostly have the Great Barrow Light Armor set, which is level 25. My minstrel is level 36 now, and apart from some minor benefits with the stat bonuses I have not found better armor by this level judging by the armor bonuses alone. I'm looking at on-level Purple armor pieces, and they're still giving a decent bit less armor than the gear I'm wearing. Does anyone know if this is a known issue?
    1. When traited deep in the yellow line, with the correct legacies its entirely possible to get several anthems rolling at once. So the power reduction does indeed help.

2. Sorry its been about 3 and a half years since i was level 25 on my minstrel, can't help ya there.
    Rank 14 Minstrel, Rank 10 Rune-keeper, Rank 7 Champion
    Rank 11 Weaver, Rank 11 Blackarrow, Rank 10 Reaver, Rank 10 Stalker, Rank 9 Defiler, Rank 7 Warleader

Isn't the duration all the way through combat?

Even so, for it to be useful you have to be in a long combat during which you don't often coda. I'll leave it to minstrels who actually use Harmony to say how often that situation arises in practice.
    Aiwyn Bladesinger of Elendilmir
    Minstrel for Endeavor

Quote Originally Posted by CurtMonash View Post
    Isn't the duration all the way through combat?

Even so, for it to be useful you have to be in a long combat during which you don't often coda. I'll leave it to minstrels who actually use Harmony to say how often that situation arises in practice.
    You have to trait 4 yellow to get that duration. Otherwise, the duration is ten seconds and the cooldown before you can use another anthem is 20 seconds. So, it looks like this skill is only useful if you are traiting four yellow or more.

But, if that is the case, all of your other anthems are also staying for the duration of the combat as well. At my current level, I have six anthems, each of which cost 97 power. So, if Anthem of the Third Age costs 97 power to use and reduces 20% of the power cost of additional anthems, I have to cast at least 5 more anthems before breaking even?

Do I have this math right?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000027003/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

If u look at the set bonus for traiting 4 yellow then u will see that the third age anthem in harmony stance will stay up once used.
    so by your math, y u need to use 5 anthems to get the cost back but as long as u do not hit the coda or change stance u are then into profit from the skill and the longer the fight and the more codas u hit the more u will save.

Not sure how often that this would come up for a mini though as if u are soloing u will have maybe more red traits and in a group u may have more blue, so would not get the 4 yellows that u would need, but with 4 yellows and especially with 5 pieces of the dragoich armour it can make its cost back for u.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000001447e1/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

1.) Dont know (edit: I dont use)

2.) Evendim gives armor at 35ish (gloves are 32, pants are 35, top is 36) quest for shoes, sholders and hat. Ive never gotten the hat but the rest will give you over 300 will including the jewlery you can get there. Next is fem at 40ish. Really it will strenghten you out and show you what is possible.

Second edit: i cant stop. What evendim does to your class (every class) is so much fun to expierience that i reroll constantly. Its a rush to start dpsing much better, healing in group much better. Its a great, great zone.
    Last edited by guido1; Feb 25 2012 at 09:04 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003b4caf/signature.png]Nuvorn[/charsig]

but seeing as how it costs power itself and the duration is about the same as the CD before I can use another anthem, what's the point?
    As long as your anthem duration isn't considerably longer than your anthem cooldown, there isn't much point to this skill. My low-level minstrels (yes, I have several of them ) never use it, even though I do like to use Harmony a lot once it's available.

My main is a minstrel at level cap with four yellow class traits equipped and has an anthem duration of 35 seconds with a 5 second cooldown, effectively giving her the ability to keep up as many anthems as she likes (or the situation permits without neglecting healing my fellowship ). I have to admit though that I still don't use that anthem a lot, but rather tier up ballads, play an anthem, then fire off the coda and repeat with the next anthem. That way I can add in an anthem of composure often enough to never get into trouble power-wise. I'm much more likely to run into power-expesive situations in melody or warspeech than in harmony .

As for the armour set, my low-levels don't usually get the barrows armour at all. They're fine with whatever armour they are able to craft (even if it's several levels below and non-crit) until they pick up the Evendim set in their 30s. I mostly even forget replacing armour (except when a quest-reward comes along that is actually better than what I'm wearing) until I notice a steep drop in survivability, which often is 15+ levels beyond the armour level .

Even if you're not 4 deep into Yellow, if you can get it in such a way as the duration adequately exceeds the cooldown, it can be made to be worth it (though probably not until you unlock Legendary Items...without those, I could only get to 15 second duration and 10 second cooldown, not worth it)