We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Looking for hints...The Wild Hunt: Gwenaewen's Spirit

This is the one with the bird that you follow from point to point. It used to be possible to just put the bird-spirit on follow, but that hasn't been working for the last 3 or 4 months (probably since RoI) what with the /follow changes.

Anyone have any tactics that will get one through this successfully?

(If you haven't done it *recently* be sure the tactics still work before suggesting them.)

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Re: Looking for hints...The Wild Hunt: Gwenaewen's Spirit

This was pretty easy for me because I did it on my mount, I just followed the radar arrow with the spirit far behind me. It felt like cheating, but because of some graphics problems I have it was the only way.
    "Aurë Entuluva!"

I was able to do it at just +5% run speed by following the arrow in the radar.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000257350/signature.png]Faingyl[/charsig]

I did this about 3 months ago, post RoI, on my minstrel, and this was my strategy: Once the quest starts, I take off using the quest tracker as my guide.... I didn't wait for the bird. I ignored ALL mobs and ran like I stole something. Do not take the birds path. I don't think I had a run buff.

On previous toons I failed a few times, but since I vaguely knew where the markers were, I just ran til I saw the quest ring, and then immediately went to the new target.

I didn't fail when i did this. It may have had more to do with it was my third time doing it, but definitely don't follow the birds path, just run for your life.

Use your horse
    [CENTER]Tarmas Elf Champion R13 | Tarmeg Elf Guardian R6 | Tarmil 95 Elf Warden | Tarmun Elf Hunter R6 | Tarmot Elf Minstrel R6 | Tarmyr Elf Loremaster R6
    Strawn Reaver R6 | Strawz Warg R6 | Strawk Blackarrow R6 | Strawx Warleader R6 | Strawb Defiler R6 | Strawt Weaver R6[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmas_Eldar View Post
    Use your horse
    Not possible. You are dismounted when you enter instance with a message similar to "Mounts are not permitted". I do not remember exactly when this change went into effect.

The way I did it was start up the birdie. Take off on foot using the quest tracker. Go around the angry birdies and the traps. It helps if you have a Out Of Combat Run speed bonus. It helps if you are playing a class with a Sprint skill. Use your sprint every time it is up.

I suspect Warden is one of the easier classes thanks to "Forced March".
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I did this one a couple of days ago while mounted. After each update I checked the map and rode towards the new quest ring. I ended up finishing so swiftly I had to wait around for a minute or so for the bird to arrive at the end point.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000039738/signature.png]Renulthorn[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Not possible. You are dismounted when you enter instance with a message similar to "Mounts are not permitted". I do not remember exactly when this change went into effect.
    You are wrong. There has been no such change made. I did this last week on my horse, just like I did with all my other characters last year. I didn't enter mounted but had no problem mounting to ride the points and complete the quest.
    [CENTER]Tarmas Elf Champion R13 | Tarmeg Elf Guardian R6 | Tarmil 95 Elf Warden | Tarmun Elf Hunter R6 | Tarmot Elf Minstrel R6 | Tarmyr Elf Loremaster R6
    Strawn Reaver R6 | Strawz Warg R6 | Strawk Blackarrow R6 | Strawx Warleader R6 | Strawb Defiler R6 | Strawt Weaver R6[/CENTER]

I did this about a week ago.

Strategy for me was DO NOT ACTIVATE THE BIRD SPIRIT AT THE START!

Go around and kill off the annoying Craban (they do not respawn in the instance) THEN go and activate the Spirit

Stay out of the Green smokey traps!

That's all I did and it was fairly easy to stay with the bird

Did they change it? Last time I did it I just simply ran, avoiding the goo, the bird is not that hard to catch up with.
    Re-ni-AN-nen - strayed (ppt. of renia- 'to stray')
    Aeled Reniannen, Defender of Middle-earth ~ Nendhiniel, Forge-Warden : Captain and Wardenette from [EN-RP] Laurelin
    Fluffrash, Blade of Barashish ~ Nathraen, Conqueror of Towers : Warg Puppy and Spider Tailor from the darker side thereof
    Faradwen, Swift-Arrow : Huntress from [EN-RE] Landroval

As if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
    ~~~~~
    Kári was a little Dwarf. / Smaller than you or me. / And wherever Kári went / He took his axe… or three.

Thanks for all the ideas. I started mounted (got knocked off fairly soon). Having used crit'd coffee and, once I fell behind from follow, just following the quest pointer, finished well ahead of the bird. Next time I do it I may just take off and ignore teh bird from the beginning (once it gets started)....we shall see.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

I tried to get this instance to start twice, and the bird just sits there. I even tried the "challenge" emote, nothing.

What do you need to do to get the instance off and running? I don't see any hints online.
    His sword was long, his lance was keen, his shining helm afar was seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sito_Origami View Post
    I tried to get this instance to start twice, and the bird just sits there. I even tried the "challenge" emote, nothing.

What do you need to do to get the instance off and running? I don't see any hints online.
    Turbine introduced a bug. The Birdie does not always start up. Birdie looks at you. Not moving. You need to exit the instance. Start a different instance like a solo Skirmish. Ezit the solo skirmish. Start this instance again.

Note: It is necessary to start a difference instance so that your original bad Birdie is not presented to you again.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I just did this quest for the very first time tonight, and my impressions are:

I HATE THIS QUEST!!!!!!!!!

that feels better.......
    Last edited by AllySanders; Aug 22 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Bird disappeared completely, no quest rings anywhere

Is this a new bug? After activating the bird, he just blip! disappeared. No quest guide arrows, no quest rings, nothing. I wandered around until 4 minutes left and logged out thinking I'd get some hints first. But it looks like I just have to start a new instance.

Edit:
    Not sure because didn't see it mentioned yet, but it looks like the bird disappears and reappears about 50 ft away, over and over. Since I didn't know where the stones were, I just followed it. Sometimes it goes far enough away that it's not on the radar. Other times, trees block your view of the bird. Somebody designing these really enjoyed the Pitfall/Mario games. I wish you could at least keep the target on the bird, but because he blips out, you can't.

I didn't use a movement buff, but I noticed that the 6 minute timer starts as soon as you enter the instance, so don't waste time killing mobs first. Just activate and follow.

I ignored the mobs entirely except if they wounded me, then I un-dot'd myself.

I had to cancel and re-start the quest because the timer wouldn't end or clear between tries. There's a cooldown on canceling the quest, but it's only 5 minutes. I had to reforge anyway.
    Last edited by gripply; Feb 17 2014 at 11:24 AM.

I did this a week or so ago and noticed you no longer have to follow or even race the bird. Once activated he disappears in original location and reappears up the path a bit with quest ring overhead. Run to bird, click, run to bird click, run to bird click, run to, well you get the picture.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

I did this just yesterday, the small bird simply jumped onto the next trigger point that I could see on the minimap and the screen. It's direction does flip about a bit but it didn't cause me any trouble. Why not try cancel and re pick up the quest and see if it works this time round.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

This quest has changed since I last ran it. You used to race the bird spirit, now it leads you around. I wonder why it was changed? Not that I mind, it's much easier now.