We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Re: Obfuscated Tolkien Trivia

I'll throw one out there if no one minds...

Here's a nice math problem for ya'll:

Itemized list of charges for services rendered, produced to indicate to the recipient that payment should be made sent ot given to the party who has provided said services...

+

A device typically constructed of a flexible material that is bent in a curved manner with slender cord-like substance fastened to either end...

=?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Bill-bow = Bilbo
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Bill-bow = Bilbo
    You got it! Got one for us Vilnas?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Unorthodox pole mounted display employed by punitive expedition attempting to repossess enumerated valuables of disputed ownership.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Unorthodox pole mounted display employed by punitive expedition attempting to repossess enumerated valuables of disputed ownership.
    The banners carried by the elves and lakemen when approaching Thorin's company at the Lonely Mountain.
    Though the word "unorthodox" has me concerned.

From The Hobbit:

The next morning early a company of spearmen was seen crossing the river, and marching up the valley. They bore with them the green banner of the Elvenking and the blue banner of the Lake, and they advanced until they stood right before the wall at the Gate.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    The banners carried by the elves and lakemen when approaching Thorin's company at the Lonely Mountain.
    Though the word "unorthodox" has me concerned.

From The Hobbit:
    Aye, that is a good effort, but not unorthodox enough. I was going to ding you on enumerated as well, until I recollected that they demanded a specific fractional share (I believe it was a 1/10th, later revised to 1/14th).

It's funny, I hadn't even considered your response as a potential answer. It just goes to show that no matter how specific the intended answer may be, more often than not there is at least one other viable (or nearly viable) solution you didn't think of.

Hmm... Celebrimbor comes to mind for me at least...
    Well, I suppose you could always say "flame resistant sunglasses" if you prefer that to "shoes"

Quote Originally Posted by Itharas View Post
    Hmm... Celebrimbor comes to mind for me at least...
    Aye, that's the one. Good work.

Okay here's another one for you...

Rapid chemical combination of a substance with oxygen, producing heat and the natural agent that stimulates sight and makes things visible also electromagnetic radiation from about 390 to 740 nm in wavelength in tandem with the lower extremity of the lower appendage below the the joint formed by the articulation of the lower leg bones with the talus

Okay here's another one for you...

Rapid chemical combination of a substance with oxygen, producing heat and the natural agent that stimulates sight and makes things visible also electromagnetic radiation from about 390 to 740 nm in wavelength in tandem with the lower extremity of the lower appendage below the the joint formed by the articulation of the lower leg bones with the talus
    Without resorting to Wikipedia I *think* the talus is the ankle-bone, and the first part is presumably burning, so: firefoot, which was the horse of Eomer if memory serves?

Hope you don't mind me butting in btw, lurked these threads for some time and this is the first time I've come close to working one out

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Without resorting to Wikipedia I *think* the talus is the ankle-bone, and the first part is presumably burning, so: firefoot, which was the horse of Eomer if memory serves?

Hope you don't mind me butting in btw, lurked these threads for some time and this is the first time I've come close to working one out
    Haha well, you came more than close this time. That's it exactly.

And of course you're welcome; the more the merrier.

You're up.
    Well, I suppose you could always say "flame resistant sunglasses" if you prefer that to "shoes"

ta

You're up.
    OK my first effort:

Flower that is a combination of two potent alchoholic beverages.

Indeed! Glad to have you come out from the shadows.

ta

OK my first effort:

Welcome! Always great to have another player!

Great entry too! This one's got me puzzled but good!

ta

OK my first effort:

Very difficult. The name "Brandywine" comes to mind, but that's a river and a bridge, not a flower...perhaps the answer is "Amaranth Brandybuck"?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000094dc4/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by LoyKashka View Post
    Very difficult. The name "Brandywine" comes to mind, but that's a river and a bridge, not a flower...perhaps the answer is "Amaranth Brandybuck"?
    Brandywine is right.

Was a bit sneaky with that one - 'flower' is often used in cryptic crosswords to indicate a river or stream as well as a flower (rivers flow, so a flower is... geddit).

You're up.

Brandywine is right.

Was a bit sneaky with that one - 'flower' is often used in cryptic crosswords to indicate a river or stream as well as a flower (rivers flow, so a flower is... geddit).

You're up.
    You're right...that was sneaky. And a very good puzzle.
    Thanks.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Brandywine is right.

You're up.
    A bit sneaky? That was acutally a really good riddle.

Here's mine:

That which an Auleian representative intended to make so noticably concave that one with highly sophisticated knowledge of the arcane arts would find it all but impossible to effect a revertion to its previous status.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000094dc4/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by LoyKashka View Post
    That which an Auleian representative intended to make so noticably concave that one with highly sophisticated knowledge of the arcane arts would find it all but impossible to effect a revertion to its previous status.
    ..."Or I will make a dint in your hat that even a wizard will find it hard to deal with!"

..."Or I will make a dint in your hat that even a wizard will find it hard to deal with!"
    We have a winner!

Alright then...

The action of perforating with a myriad of perforations...

I have a feeling that you are looking for a one or two word answer rather than an event, but seeing as there have been no responses yet, I will offer this:

What the Uruk-hai archers did to Boromir near Parth Galen.

Itharas, I think it's time for a clue.

Alright then...

The action of perforating with a myriad of perforations...
    Ok this is a wild stretch but how about this path...

the action of perforating = to make holes or "hole-y"
    "hole-y" becomes "holy" and making holy can be thought of as praising...so

Praise them with great praise.

(I need more sleep)
    ...when in doubt...twirl...

Okay, Boraxxe, have a hint...

I have a feeling that you are looking for a one or two word answer rather than an event
    Very true.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast